Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Terror Sweat posted:

How do you make a sequel to it lol

I remember reading that they want it to be centered on Julie Estelle’s character, which would own imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

The Raid 2 is a great movie but it really should've been its own thing. They do connect it to the original film storywise but that's such a flimsy premise to make a completely different kind of movie starring the same actor. Like he's not even the same character 15 minutes into the movie, why even bother.

They actually planned out The Raid 2 before The Raid. It was supposed to be its own movie, but they couldn't scrape together enough money from their producers. So they made Raid 1 on a much smaller budget, and then wound up turning a the stand alone movie Berendal into a sequel so they could finally get enough money to make it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

I ain't hear no bell at the end of the first one

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

It ends mid scene so...film the rest of that scene I suppose.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Boco_T posted:

I'll include my review in my standard dump at some point but the Korean movie The Swordsman came out on digital yesterday and it is absolutely worth spending $5 and going out of your way to see. The action is great.

It was great and suprisingly short and to the point, I was getting used to 2,5 hour SK movies and this meant I could watch it with friends before the covid curfew.

On Netflix they just added Korean historical drama Mr. Sunshine with Lee Byun-Hun (very much not short and to the point with 24 episodes of over an hour) which seems to have some decent action in it as well, opening with a big battle from the 1871 US expedition to Korea.
Just after watching Swordsman it's striking how the Joseon officials are dressed exactly the same in 1871 even though 250 years had passed. Everone wears awesome hats and robes with an Etsy print on the front.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Patrick Spens posted:

They actually planned out The Raid 2 before The Raid. It was supposed to be its own movie, but they couldn't scrape together enough money from their producers. So they made Raid 1 on a much smaller budget, and then wound up turning a the stand alone movie Berendal into a sequel so they could finally get enough money to make it.

Both The Raid and John Wick stand as pretty good examples that low budgets and less freedom can definitely be a good thing

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
My weekend Letterboxd review, this time of Sworn to Justice (1996):

Ally McBeal with roundhouse kicks.

Criminal psychologist Janna Dane (Cynthia Rothrock) finds her sister and nephew brutally murdered, and while she fights off the gang that killed them, she receives a blow to the head that activates her latent psychic powers. She sets out to use her new powers and her martial arts skills to bring justice to those responsible for the murders.

Cynthia Rothrock as a psychic martial arts vigilante with a PhD in criminal psychology could be a lot of fun, but this one is let down by the script failing to come up with an engaging enough story and by the low production values hampering the action scenes: even a comparatively simple sliding-across-a-car stunt is implied with editing, rather than actually shown. We get a lot more scenes of people in 90s businesswear having conversations on cheap office sets than we do fights. There's also the problem that none of Rothrock's enemies seem like credible threats, as she would clearly annihilate any of these men in two seconds flat.

There is some fun to be had, in the form of the goofy martial arts seduction scene with love interest Nicholas (Kurt McKinney), in Walter Koenig showing up in a bad wig to deliver a couple of lines, and in some of the worst corpse makeup I have ever seen. But while I don't remember ever seeing a Cynthia Rothrock film before, I have a strong impression that she can do, and has done, better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea as far as lead roles go Cynthia Rothrock never really got many opportunities where the production actually was on a similar level with her talents. Most of her best work was done in Hong Kong where she had supporting roles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I finally saw The Bronx Executioner and Hologram Man. In the same night, because I'm cool.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Boss Level’s out on Hulu today, I have it as one of the best action movies of 2020 so check it out

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Basebf555 posted:

Yea as far as lead roles go Cynthia Rothrock never really got many opportunities where the production actually was on a similar level with her talents. Most of her best work was done in Hong Kong where she had supporting roles.

She's fantastic in millionaires express aka shanghai express

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boss level: :mediocre:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

You should watch The Night Comes for Us. Now that movie is brutal as hell and is from the raid guys. Hammer girl is a supporting character and has some crazy cool fights. Honestly the movie probably has the most original action scenes and brutality I've seen in a movie in the longest time

That movie exhausted me. How many loving potential protagonists did it go thru.

Anyway Boss Level was great. Fantastic screenplay and expertly directed by Joe Carnahan, who is prob the most underrated director in Hwood. Apparently him and Grillo formed a production company together to pump oit movies after previously workong together in the Grey, another perfect genre movie. loving Peckinpah/Oates collab redux.

Curious to know what ppl thought about the action itself in the movie. Kinda feel like it was thw only.minor flaw. Dunno if it was the lower stakes from the premise, the more surreal comedic angle of the script, or just how good action has been generally, but I thought it didnt really hit that hard or have especially good setpieces.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boco_T posted:

Boss Level’s out on Hulu today, I have it as one of the best action movies of 2020 so check it out

Hurt so much to watch this in November when it was leaked initially and be unable to recommend it to anyone. It is really a fantastic action-comedy. Source Code and Edge of Tomorrow both had their snippets of comedy but at their core they were sci-fi dramas. I'm a big sucker for Groundhog Day movies period, but Boss Level just manages to be so consistently funny and was definitely a top watch of 2020 for me too.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

MiddleOne posted:

Hurt so much to watch this in November when it was leaked initially and be unable to recommend it to anyone. It is really a fantastic action-comedy. Source Code and Edge of Tomorrow both had their snippets of comedy but at their core they were sci-fi dramas. I'm a big sucker for Groundhog Day movies period, but Boss Level just manages to be so consistently funny and was definitely a top watch of 2020 for me too.

lol the cast is kinda glitzy gonna check this out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Boss Level was alright, I didn't like the way it ended at all so that kind of soured the movie for me. I was really enjoying it until the end though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Frank Grillo annoyed the poo poo out of me. I hate characters like that now. Just so dang smug:

Also I hate hate hate these stupid scenes where the hero has to yell at some nerd for being nerdy. Ooh you like video games huh?? U EVER HAVE SEX

I think I’ll stick to John Wick. Or action movies where the hero isn’t a huge rear end in a top hat idk. It just felt smug. The entire movie.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finally got around to watching Seized.
Fun movie. Scott Adkins gets to both his usual punch-kickery but also quite a lot of gunplay.

The undisputed star of the movie is Mario van Peebles though. He is absolutely delightful as he chews every single bit of scenery he can find.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

B-Rock452 posted:

It's kind of connected but watching the first season isn't required at all. I have never seen it and I consider strike back one of my favorite shows

Hirez posted:

yea what this guy said, some of the middle seasons are loving fantastic - I really liked the South America one and the Africa one with Tywin. The show after s1 is basically british 24 with swearing and cinemax tits jammed into 13 episodes.

It's always some nuke/biological/whatever doubling down every episode with a cliffhanger. great show (even the newer new cast one; but as others said, the leads just don't have the same chemistry)

Enjoying s2 a lot. As a sometime Casualty watcher it's funny seeing Amanda Mealing in another authoritative role and Neet Mohan (one of the junior doctors on the soap) playing a sympathetic terrorist.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/HighDefDiscNews/status/1368756094873534464

This looks really good. I'm weak for really good steel case editions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

Finally got around to watching Seized.
Fun movie. Scott Adkins gets to both his usual punch-kickery but also quite a lot of gunplay.

The undisputed star of the movie is Mario van Peebles though. He is absolutely delightful as he chews every single bit of scenery he can find.

I watched this over the weekend and it's definitely some good old fashioned Adkins/Isaac Florentine fun. Like most of their collaborations the low budget is evident, and I wouldn't say it's exactly Adkins best work in terms of acting(not all his fault, the script is not great), but it's packed with action and you know with Adkins the action is always good.

And you're right, an entertaining antagonist like Van Peebles goes a long way towards making movies like this entertaining. As good as the action is, Van Peebles is really important for holding the whole thing together as an actual movie instead of just a Scott Adkins action reel.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ok I watched Boss Level. Pretty good action comedy. Significantly hampered by a couple of things. Thing one is absolutely wasting the cast: Naomi Watts slumming it as "protag's love interest and exposition machine"? Michelle Yeoh in the late-period Steven Seagal "sure I'll be on camera but I'm not putting in much effort" cameo? I'm also comfortable describing Mel Gibson's inclusion as stunt casting, as he is barely in the movie at all. Thing two: Frank Grillo's acting is a bit spotty and his narration occasionally sounds like a guy reading off a cue card. His actual character frequently nose-dives into being an arrogant jerk who smugly mocks nerds and fat people - btw I'm fine with the character making fun of the physical traits of the ostensible "bad guys", but it had better be funny or endearing and it's just not. It's muttered middle school insults (although there's one particular line that landed for me regarding the shooting of an assassin with the certain gun of a certain famous historical monster, except I really wish the line had been delivered to Mel Gibson instead. Not the character: the actual actor.) Thing three: not sure they really stuck the ending on this one. Bit of a wet fart to end it with the main character casually running off into enormous stakes with the attitude of "well yes you can assume I win this one".

Having said all that, I enjoyed the late 90s/early oughts vibe of the colorful cast of assassins (big-time Big Hit and Smokin' Aces energy), the action scenes were decently shot and relatively exciting when they weren't going for physical comedy, the action comedy stuff mostly worked, and the actual plot structure was just fine (although it's bizarre to me that by total coincidence, there's two big releases this week where the main character has to know their kids are going to get disintegrated by an oncoming energy field. wild)

Overall I enjoyed the film and yes, it is a cut above most action comedies. I loved the little touches of Last Action Hero (Roy Pulver?!??! That's one of the best action guy names ever) I hope whatever gear-and-pickling process they're using on Frank Grillo keeps him in the game for at least another decade. Good stuff, but sadly not great.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 8, 2021

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

dokmo posted:

Albert Pyun movies come up often in this thread, and they are interesting because if nothing else Pyun makes choices, but it's also worth remembering that those movies are loving terrible because he tries so hard. The last one I saw was the one with Ice T and the mambo music, and holy poo poo that was awful. It was more annoying than awful, but that special kind of annoying when someone with ideas wants to beat you over the head with them.

Pyun is a schlock gem. No one should besmirch the man who gave us a cyborg with a high top fade shooting the holy hell out of a muscled up cyborg kristie alley knock off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2X31cPNxE

The real meaty pyun material is when he starts exploring his super muscled up woman fetish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jhbrXKpKJo

Interesting note about Pyun regarding Omega Doom being a straight homage to yojimbo is likely due to the fact that Pyun almost worked directly with Kurosawa on a project that folded but he did work directly with Toshiro Mifune on a tv series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Pyun

quote:

While in high school, Pyun worked at a number of production houses in Honolulu before receiving an invitation by the Japanese actor, Toshiro Mifune, to travel to Japan for an internship.[4][5] Initially Pyun was to intern on the Akira Kurosawa film, Dersu Uzala, which was to star Mifune [6] but the actor decided not to do the film and instead Pyun found himself working on a Mifune TV series under the tutelage of Kurosawa's Director of Photography, Takao Saito (Red Beard).[7]p

G-III fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 8, 2021

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've made it to season 5 of Strike Back and this time we're in Thailand.

There is, if possible, even more explosions than last season.

And they're chasing a police car in a tuktuk with a cool driver.

edit: oh hey, Michelle Yeoh is a baddie in this season. Didn't recognise her at first.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 9, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Like I said, I wish I could recommend Nemesis past the 2nd one, but I can't.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Like I said, I wish I could recommend Nemesis past the 2nd one, but I can't.

Four is really interesting. I'm not going to say that it's good because it obviously isn't, but it's got a lot of decisions in it that I can't imagine any other director making.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
From a few pages back, thank you to whoever mentioned Omega Doom. I love Albert Pyun's absolute confidence in his scripts and movies.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

For the weekend, my Letterboxed review of Hollywood Cop (1987):

Many of Hollywood's best films have been made by outsiders, but so have many of its oddball failures.

The gangster Feliciano (James Mitchum) kidnaps a small boy (Brandon Angle), in order to force the boy's corrupt-cop father to hand over $6 million that he has stolen. The boy's mother, Rebecca (Julie Schoenhofer), turns to L.A. detectives Joe Turk (David Goss) and Jaguar (Lincoln Kilpatrick) to get him back.

This was Iranian immigrant director Amir Shervan's first attempt at making his own version of Lethal Weapon, the second being a far superior bad film called Samurai Cop. Like Samurai Cop, this film is an outsider's take on the 80s American action film, but it is much less coherent than Samurai Cop, so the plot doesn't really matter. This is the buddy-cop film as a Dadaist collage, including a Yacht-rock villain; a graphic rape scene; an angry police chief; a detective asking the victim of a crime to stay at his house; a small child befriending a guard dog; a detective taking part in an oil-wrestling contest in order to win a bet; a maid-outfit swimsuit; an adorable animal companion being shot dead; a gangster beating up a small child; a maniacal gunman with a tremendously positive attitude; a detective taking cover from gunfire by throwing himself to the ground with his arse in the air; Our Hero Cops being racist to an Asian receptionist in a way that leaves you 100% on his side; a group of bikers fighting a group of East Asian martial artists.

Special mention once again has to go to Cameron Mitchell, again playing the angry 80s police chief archetype, but whereas in Terror in Beverly Hills his performance was filled with rage, here he goes with jovial disinterest. That's what you get when you hire a real pro: he doesn't give you the same character twice.

The attraction of Hollywood Cop is seeing someone try to engage with a genre they've clearly seen a lot of, but that they haven't quite parsed. It's not as much fun as Samurai Cop, partly because of the sexual violence, but it is strange enough to have an appeal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I you like Samurai Cop you will like Killing American Style. Unfortunately it also has gratuitous rape.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the one with the Tums festival?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Samurai cop tbf also features gratuitous sexual violence

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

Samurai cop tbf also features gratuitous sexual violence

It does? I have completely forgotten it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If that one scene in Samurai Cop where the cop lady gets bacon grease poured onto her exposed stomach was executed competently at all it would be very upsetting and gross.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I thought it was the pan of water she put in the fridge immediately prior

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yoooooo, Robot Jox is on Prime.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Is Bloodshot bloodshit?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Judakel posted:

Is Bloodshot bloodshit?

Sadly yes

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Judakel posted:

Is Bloodshot bloodshit?

It's merely Bloodok.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
It's by far the best Valiant Comics movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Judakel posted:

Is Bloodshot bloodshit?

for a movie about an omnipotent bulletproof super assassin fighting cybernetically enhanced super soldiers, it's weirdly dull.