Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

i thought i had made my peace with how they look. ff6 phone version is a disaster to me, but i thought i could live with this. i just really want to play jrpgs on the switch, it's perfect for it. i don't like playing on the laptop on emulator. but after comparing it to the snes version it's just so much better. the phone text style is the biggest dealbreaker. even when you have a good visual phone port like dq4, which is just the DS version i think, it still has that hideous font. i can't stand it. anyway here's hoping i actually get some gaming done despite it being on laptop.

it really sucks. I'd pay more money than it's probably worth for a more straight port of the snes ones. I'd probably have bought them more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fitter. Happier. More productive. Comfortable. Stupid. A quitter. Children dream of making games, not commenting on them.

Lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fitter. Happier. More productive. Comfortable. Stupid. A quitter. Children dream of making games, not commenting on them.

More than ever hour after hour work is never over.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
playing ni no kuni rn

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Arrhythmia posted:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Really like how Bravely Default 2 has super hard optional fights available within the first few hours of the game just begging you to figure out how to break them open. I'm too retarded to do that and still get owned from like the one that became available 3 dungeons ago, but I still really appreciate that it's there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

Really like how Bravely Default 2 has super hard optional fights available within the first few hours of the game just begging you to figure out how to break them open. I'm too retarded to do that and still get owned from like the one that became available 3 dungeons ago, but I still really appreciate that it's there.
This is cool and I hope more RPGs start doing it. It could also be a great incentive for players to finish the game and do a New Game Plus.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Another cool thing, sort of related, is that equipment doesn't have a level requirement but it does have a weight requirement, and weight limit is tied to level (and also varies in between classes). Those hard optional fights can drop gear way ahead of what you could normally get at that point in the game , but instead of just not being able to equip it, you have to decide whether it's worth it to do so at the cost of not being able to wear much other armor or whatever

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

goferchan posted:

I had a pretty good handle on one of the early superbosses til he charmed a freelancer who then healed him for like 4000 because treat heals a percentage of max hp.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

Another cool thing, sort of related, is that equipment doesn't have a level requirement but it does have a weight requirement, and weight limit is tied to level (and also varies in between classes). Those hard optional fights can drop gear way ahead of what you could normally get at that point in the game , but instead of just not being able to equip it, you have to decide whether it's worth it to do so at the cost of not being able to wear much other armor or whatever

its so loving smart. every system is so well done, what a fuckin good game

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
everything posted about it sounds cool as hell.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

everything posted about it sounds cool as hell.

I think it's incredibly well thought-out mechanically but it's definitely not perfect. The story and characters are like a 6 or 7 out of 10, dungeons are mostly bland, and sidequest quality varies wildly. There are some that send you into brand new unique areas with special enemies and loot and bosses, some that unlock new character classes, one that unlocks a whole drat card game minigame, and then also a ton of them that just involve like boring fetch quests or killing 10 enemies and reward you with a few potions or whatever, and there's no way to tell which ones are important and which ones aren't. If you're really into theorycrafting character builds and JRPG battle systems it's probably gonna be one of the most refined games you've ever played, but DQ11 is still probably my number one for nailing every aspect I care about when it comes to rpgs.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

I think it's incredibly well thought-out mechanically but it's definitely not perfect. The story and characters are like a 6 or 7 out of 10, dungeons are mostly bland, and sidequest quality varies wildly. There are some that send you into brand new unique areas with special enemies and loot and bosses, some that unlock new character classes, one that unlocks a whole drat card game minigame, and then also a ton of them that just involve like boring fetch quests or killing 10 enemies and reward you with a few potions or whatever, and there's no way to tell which ones are important and which ones aren't. If you're really into theorycrafting character builds and JRPG battle systems it's probably gonna be one of the most refined games you've ever played, but DQ11 is still probably my number one for nailing every aspect I care about when it comes to rpgs.

i mean yeah it's no dq11 but it's a very well thought out jrpg with a ton of mechanical refinement. the story's not bad either imo, i'm most of the way through chapter 3 and thereve been some fun plot twists so far. i wish the sidequests were a bit better yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

omfg swordmaster is sick. ive got shieldmaster subbed for guardian of the people and revenge slotted and whenever i'm in fluid stance and get hit i deal reprisal damage, attack twice, make the enemy lose a bp and sometimes gain a bp

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I just found out that because I didn't kill 20 Wimps in Chapter 4 of DQ4 I can't complete the monster manual thing. I probably wasn't going to go for 100% anyway, but now that I know I can't I feel so empty...

nosering
Oct 12, 2012
didn't know if i should put this in the fanty thread but I branched out of my normal yakuza/souls dynamic and tried out the 7 remake. The story seems like insane rear end and but im not sure if you can chalk that up to marketability (i just finished the graveyard part and i dunno if should expect more or something), and some of the fights and context sensitive button pressing scenes where you walk through narrow stuff feel like they take 100 years. but the game looks incredible and the way they did the combat is pretty fun and interesting, so I'm gonna power on through this bad boy.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
If they ever release a jrpg with bravely 2/octopath tier team building and dqxi tier everything else it will be the greatest game ever created

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

nosering posted:

didn't know if i should put this in the fanty thread but I branched out of my normal yakuza/souls dynamic and tried out the 7 remake. The story seems like insane rear end and but im not sure if you can chalk that up to marketability (i just finished the graveyard part and i dunno if should expect more or something), and some of the fights and context sensitive button pressing scenes where you walk through narrow stuff feel like they take 100 years. but the game looks incredible and the way they did the combat is pretty fun and interesting, so I'm gonna power on through this bad boy.

it is maybe the most jekyll/hyde game i've ever played. it's padded out with these irredeemably bad sidequests but there's so much core content that rocks. i'm compelled to finish it too

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

FF7 Remake kicks rear end and I will buy a PS5 so I can play as Yuffie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

some primo games brain on display here

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

herculon posted:

FF7 Remake kicks rear end and I will buy a PS5 so I can play as Yuffie

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

FF7R has some bad parts but it's still one of the best games of the last few years.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

it is maybe the most jekyll/hyde game i've ever played. it's padded out with these irredeemably bad sidequests but there's so much core content that rocks. i'm compelled to finish it too

Nope it’s all good. Sounds like you might have a case of being a bitch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there's definitely some whack side quests but it doesn't matter bc you're hanging out in midgar with your best buds.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Nope it’s all good. Sounds like you might have a case of being a bitch.
I'm not sure you're allowed to comment on the padding of games, Mr. 100% completion on every single Ubisoft game released in the last 6 years.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'm not sure you're allowed to comment on the padding of games, Mr. 100% completion on every single Ubisoft game released in the last 6 years.

That makes him the most qualified.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

there's definitely some whack side quests but it doesn't matter bc you're hanging out in midgar with your best buds.

this

It's more time to hang out in midgar and get little character moments and is therefore good

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The motorcycle parts were bad, the Uncharted adventure Tifa goes on in the Shinra building was bad, and the sidequests where you have to round up cats or orphans were bad, but those are all incredibly minor parts of the game. Saying the story is insane rear end seems a little nuts to me unless you just hate JRPG stories.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The motorcycle parts are fine to bad but they're worth it for them adding Roche.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

The motorcycle parts are fine to bad but they're worth it for them adding Roche.

this. more Roche in part 2 please

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

its so hosed up he wasnt in the big chase

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The side quests were all terrible it was prett y clear they wanted to di yakuza sidestoires but they were all awful to actually do. But i got to oggle zeroth and tifa diring them so they were good

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

octopath traveler is coming to game pass! cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Octoturd Flusher

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Octo Chad Suckener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat Xenlon in DQIII. Get owned, floating god dragon superboss.