Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So our local boutique butcher and meat shop was having a sale on raw prime brisket. Wife went to get our kid from school yesterday and asked if I wanted her to stop by and buy some, and I was all, “DO I?!” So she calls me a few minutes later and tells me, “The smallest they had was thirteen pounds so I just got it.” Also she just picked up some prime ribeye on a whim too, which, that’s just primo wifery right there.

Anyway the brisket’s size is both good and bad. Good because 13lbs of prime brisket on the cheap, bad because that’s way too goddamn large for my little electric smoker. Oh and I just tossed it in the chest freezer because I had no idea what else to do with it.

Naturally I’ll have to thaw the motherfucker over 2-3 days in the fridge before I can do anything, but having never smoked a brisket before, is it gonna hurt anything if I just chop it in half? Normally they’d probably cut it there at the butcher but it seems this was already vacuum packed. Should I re-seal one portion raw and freeze it again, or should I just cut in half and smoke both? Yes I was gonna sous vide it first because it’s not as hands-on and I’m not sure I have time to crutch this honker through the inevitable stall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

life is killing me posted:

So our local boutique butcher and meat shop was having a sale on raw prime brisket. Wife went to get our kid from school yesterday and asked if I wanted her to stop by and buy some, and I was all, “DO I?!” So she calls me a few minutes later and tells me, “The smallest they had was thirteen pounds so I just got it.” Also she just picked up some prime ribeye on a whim too, which, that’s just primo wifery right there.

Anyway the brisket’s size is both good and bad. Good because 13lbs of prime brisket on the cheap, bad because that’s way too goddamn large for my little electric smoker. Oh and I just tossed it in the chest freezer because I had no idea what else to do with it.

Naturally I’ll have to thaw the motherfucker over 2-3 days in the fridge before I can do anything, but having never smoked a brisket before, is it gonna hurt anything if I just chop it in half? Normally they’d probably cut it there at the butcher but it seems this was already vacuum packed. Should I re-seal one portion raw and freeze it again, or should I just cut in half and smoke both? Yes I was gonna sous vide it first because it’s not as hands-on and I’m not sure I have time to crutch this honker through the inevitable stall.

You should have separated the flat and point when you got it home. You can still do this once you thaw and refreeze the rest with some minor meat degradation. Or do the flat one day and burnt ends the next?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Yes I was gonna sous vide it first because it’s not as hands-on and I’m not sure I have time to crutch this honker through the inevitable stall.

You had me up until here

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nwin posted:

Just got out of the ER after being intubated for a piece of rib getting stuck in my throat.

Chew your meat kids...no matter how delicious it tastes.

I impact food all the time, scares the crap outta me. Your body gives you all the panic reaction of choking. Had a doctor look at my throat and said it was very narrow. Getting your throat dilated is...not fun.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 13, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

You should have separated the flat and point when you got it home. You can still do this once you thaw and refreeze the rest with some minor meat degradation. Or do the flat one day and burnt ends the next?

drat. See, since I never did one before I had no idea that was a thing. BRB, looking up how the gently caress to do that

Bob A Feet posted:

You had me up until here

Can’t captivate everyone I guess. Good thing that part was toward the end so you had to read the whole thing

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

drat. See, since I never did one before I had no idea that was a thing. BRB, looking up how the gently caress to do that

Not the end of the world by any means. There's a layer of fat and connective tissue that separates the two muscles. Follow along that with your knife to separate.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can totally separate them by accident if you get really OCD about removing fat. Ask me how I know.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

um excuse me posted:

I impact food all the time, scares the crap outta me. Your body gives you all the panic reaction of choking. Had a doctor look at my throat and said it was very narrow. Getting your throat dilated is...not fun.

Apparently it might be an allergic reaction...maybe pork, maybe the sauce, maybe the rub. More tests to find out later.

Hey brisket buddy...before my ER episode I was at Costco where they were selling whole prime briskets for 3.49/pound so I picked up an 11 pounder and also froze it...it miiiight fit in my WSM once I trim the fat.

Gotta do a ton of research on how to cook this one though.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
When I get a whole brisket I in no way get all surgeon on it: I just look at it, make a mark where the obvious flat begins getting drastically thicker, and rend that sucker asunder. Having residual flat as part of the point has no downside, IMHO.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

When I get a whole brisket I in no way get all surgeon on it: I just look at it, make a mark where the obvious flat begins getting drastically thicker, and rend that sucker asunder. Having residual flat as part of the point has no downside, IMHO.

Is there a practical reason you separate them outside of making it more manageable to smoke them in smaller smokers? I mean I get burnt ends, I've had pork/bacon burnt ends before and they are delicious, but like, is it otherwise necessary or could the entire brisket theoretically be smoked at once and get enough smoke flavor even with fat?

nwin posted:

Apparently it might be an allergic reaction...maybe pork, maybe the sauce, maybe the rub. More tests to find out later.

Hey brisket buddy...before my ER episode I was at Costco where they were selling whole prime briskets for 3.49/pound so I picked up an 11 pounder and also froze it...it miiiight fit in my WSM once I trim the fat.

Samesies. I'm going to have to separate, though I'm glad I knew there's a certain way to do it and that cutting it in half may not be as desirable. Wish we could have had the butcher do it though, too bad it was already vacuum sealed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm no pro smoker, but to me the flat seems to require a different cooking temp/time than the point. I always split mine because I have an electric smoker, but I think I would anyways.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
More bark surface area is my reason.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm no pro smoker, but to me the flat seems to require a different cooking temp/time than the point. I always split mine because I have an electric smoker, but I think I would anyways.

Yeah my smoker is also electric so no getting around splitting them I think.

um excuse me posted:

That's a pretty good reason.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Also less thermal differential between inside and outside so more consistent texture/level of moisture.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

Just got out of the ER after being intubated for a piece of rib getting stuck in my throat.

Chew your meat kids...no matter how delicious it tastes.

Thread MVP. Goon, I salute you!

Slow Smoking Meat: Dying for some BBQ

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have never had an issue fitting whole brisket on my 18.5 WSM.

Just wedge it between the rack handles so it curves up in the middle. It will shink as it cooks anyways.

For huge briskets I have wedged an upside down stainless prep bowl underneath to give it more arch and just removed it after an hour or 2 to allow bark to form on the bottom of the brisket.

I think I probably posted pics way back in this thread.

Edit: found example I posted previously

my turn in the barrel posted:

I have had stuff finish early enough that I thought I would need the foil/towels/cooler to keep it warm and it was still hot enough hours later to burn. And once it's time to eat I'm not going to take it out of the cooler and wait another hour for it to cool.

I'm still trying to get some early smoking in while we have semi warm weather.

Yesterday I threw some Swordfish on the grill

And threw a Brisket on my 18.5" WSM propped up on a stainless bowl

I wrapped it in butcher paper once it hit 160F.

Timing wasn't quite right for a weekday cook so when it finished I wrapped it in plastic and refrigerated it. Then swapped the plastic for foil and reheated it in a low oven. Turned out really good. Not the best I've ever done but as is usual way better that the crap BBQ that most restaurants serve.

Plenty of leftovers, this was after we both ate and I delivered a 3rd meal to my bartender.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 13, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Is there a practical reason you separate them outside of making it more manageable to smoke them in smaller smokers?

Not space as much as cooking technique.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I just impulse bought a raw corned beef flat at the grocery store to smoke into pastrami. Will I still need to soak it overnight to desalinate a little before smoking like people have mentioned for homemade? Or is commercial brine weaker?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Grandito posted:

I just impulse bought a raw corned beef flat at the grocery store to smoke into pastrami. Will I still need to soak it overnight to desalinate a little before smoking like people have mentioned for homemade? Or is commercial brine weaker?

If it's already packaged you probably don't need to soak it but I'd be surprised if it doesn't say so on the packing.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Meathead Godwin recommends 8 hours of desalination for corned beef store bought or home made. I did mine overnight with good results

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Separating point/flat: I separate versus smoking whole because a flat is usually a significant source of leftovers.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

nwin posted:

Is it Eosinophilic Esophagitis? I have that and food can get caught easily. I'm currently on the 6 food elimination diet. Starting week 7 of 8 of removing all 6 potential allergens before my next endoscopy. Will be introducing them gradually after that. It's like being vegan++ but eating lots of meat luckily.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KingKapalone posted:

Is it Eosinophilic Esophagitis? I have that and food can get caught easily. I'm currently on the 6 food elimination diet. Starting week 7 of 8 of removing all 6 potential allergens before my next endoscopy. Will be introducing them gradually after that. It's like being vegan++ but eating lots of meat luckily.

Yeah that’s what he was thinking. Taking some medication now (Pantoprazole) and then meeting next week for a follow up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New toy day.

This is apparently open box. Still has the protective screen film. Seems like I got lucky unless they all come that way.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

um excuse me posted:

New toy day.

This is apparently open box. Still has the protective screen film. Seems like I got lucky unless they all come that way.

I guess they got as far as opening the three or four box flaps then said gently caress it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

um excuse me posted:

New toy day.

I'm pretty sure my open box Smoke had a protective screen on it too. I wouldn't be surprised if they replace it for open box.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Bob A Feet posted:

You had me up until here

Nothing wrong with sous-vide and finishing in smoke! Great combo IMO.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

Nothing wrong with sous-vide and finishing in smoke! Great combo IMO.

Much more weather tolerant for sure.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Nice, please let us know how it goes when you use it first.

Used the rotisserie for the first time this evening. Chicken turned out amazing and was so incredibly juicy. Everything was so simple too.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dango Bango posted:

Used the rotisserie for the first time this evening. Chicken turned out amazing and was so incredibly juicy. Everything was so simple too.

Hell yes, that bird looks incredible. Just ordered mine, hoping to have it for Sunday.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
That rotisserie post made me hungry so I'm thinking of getting this kit for my grill:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XHFLXB6/?coliid=I1IW3CYMJB0E56&colid=SZIEYHZYBC84&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone have experience with this one? The reviews seem reasonable. It doesn't seem any worse than the weber branded one and for the same price you get the pizza ring which looks worth a try.

Kettlepizza looks cool and all but that's some premium prices.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a nice looking wild caught salmon fillet yesterday, and started a dry cure this morning with brown sugar and kosher salt that I smoked a few weeks back. Plan is to rinse thoroughly this evening and let dry overnight, then smoke at like 170-180ish for 2-4 hours Saturday afternoon.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Murgos posted:

That rotisserie post made me hungry so I'm thinking of getting this kit for my grill:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XHFLXB6/?coliid=I1IW3CYMJB0E56&colid=SZIEYHZYBC84&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone have experience with this one? The reviews seem reasonable. It doesn't seem any worse than the weber branded one and for the same price you get the pizza ring which looks worth a try.

Kettlepizza looks cool and all but that's some premium prices.

I think the issue with most of those pizza oven kits is that the lid is too high above the pizza so the flames don't get close enough to the top of the pie while it cooks, so if you don't watch it like a hawk the crust will be done long before the top is. The top-end Kettlepizza kit includes a top stone that remedies this, but that's a pricey kit for what it is.

Looks like the same Amazon product brigade has a solution for that too, though you lose the rotisserie function with this one: https://www.amazon.com/only-fire-Stainless-Charcoal-Kettle/dp/B07LC5VZWR?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

I think the issue with most of those pizza oven kits is that the lid is too high above the pizza so the flames don't get close enough to the top of the pie while it cooks, so if you don't watch it like a hawk the crust will be done long before the top is. The top-end Kettlepizza kit includes a top stone that remedies this, but that's a pricey kit for what it is.

Looks like the same Amazon product brigade has a solution for that too, though you lose the rotisserie function with this one: https://www.amazon.com/only-fire-Stainless-Charcoal-Kettle/dp/B07LC5VZWR?ref_=ast_sto_dp

That's a good find.

Or it looks like you can just get the metal lid that kettlepizza uses: link for a little less.

It's 21 3/8" and the rotisserie thing is 22.5" so it may need some fidgeting to work right going that route. It looks like there are tabs in the top of the rotisserie ring but it's hard to tell if they are big enough.

I also have a big rear end baking steel that could work. Might need some kind of support though.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Used the bullet smoker I got for Christmas for the first time today, did some ribs. Turned out great, everyone loved them, even my girlfriends kid who usually won't eat anything other than pizza and chicken nuggets. That's a W.

I had a good time, I'm going to have some fun with it this summer.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

VERTiG0 posted:

Hell yes, that bird looks incredible. Just ordered mine, hoping to have it for Sunday.

The rotisserie has arrived and I'm burning it in now. Gonna throw a chicken on there and baste it with a huli huli sauce.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Drewsky posted:

Used the bullet smoker I got for Christmas for the first time today, did some ribs. Turned out great, everyone loved them, even my girlfriends kid who usually won't eat anything other than pizza and chicken nuggets. That's a W.

I had a good time, I'm going to have some fun with it this summer.

Nice. I’m probably going to wait another month to smoke. Will probably start grilling this weekend though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hell yes I’m gonna make some ribs this week.

I’m off next week M-W between jobs(!), so I’m thinking about some more elaborate productions for then. Maybe a...brisket?