Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Nick Jr. Face posted:

That spot lasted...what, 10 seconds at most? It's a really dumb thing to be worked up about.

Oh god, please don’t do the “I’m not angry! You’re angry!” thing. The Twitter thread with this video is definitely full of OTT criticism about her and AEW, I’m just pointing out it looks bloody awful and it’s a shame considering how hyped everyone is for her. It’s a bit like Shane’s dreadful spaghetti punches. Awful to the point of taking yourself out of your immersion watching wrestling.

Hopefully, when I get caught up I’ll have seen more of her other work and I can get on board the hype train like others on PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wasn't watching when they did that spot either. i watched most of the show but i missed that part to pay attention to dogs

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Cavauro posted:

i wasn't watching when they did that spot either. i watched most of the show but i missed that part to pay attention to dogs

I too was watching Sugiura-gun instead of AEW

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
AEW's gonna use a million camera cuts to cover up weak mic shots now. Hope you're all happy.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
that spot, like a million other spots in wrestling, made me think

"oh that could have looked better"

and then i move on

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i can only speak for myself of course but when it comes to stuff like the mic shots i just say wow that looked like poo poo and then move on in 2 seconds never to think about it again. some say this is genius but to me it’s just a day in the life

e: looks like another genius had to get their poo poo in before me

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

it mostly bothered me because the "I'm going to ignore my teammates brawling to finish my song" preceding it was a great character bit. the lame was made worse by juxtaposition.

and I think talking about spots and stuff is fun, and cool, and criticizing a spot isnt always a personal attack on the performer.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The mic shots looked bad but then so did Lance Storm's chair shots in ECW. The WCW thread was laughing about one of Hogan's chair shots the other day. They're workers trying to protect other workers which is very good but the hits still look bad. I'd say just don't do them myself but who cares, it's a small thing you laugh about and move on.

Pylons posted:

Who the gently caress is a casual viewer

I am. I only watch current wrestling occasionally and when I do it's in jeans and a t-shirt.

Edit: gonna post that Hogan clip because it's great.

https://youtu.be/bEvp5bBVZ8Y

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 13, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The mic shots looked weak but Jon Moxley has been whiffing on his kicks for years and he's one of the most popular wrestlers in the world so maybe you don't need to be perfect :shrug:

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I dunno if anyone of note does a worse topé than Mox yet somehow no one talks about it. hosed up.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efhy8zAkXEY&t=70s

This happened on one of the early Dynamites and did more to expose the business than the weak mic shots, yet I can guarantee that most of you forgot this ever happened.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Maki's going to read all this and use a steel chair next time i hope you're happy

SLUM KING posted:

I dunno if anyone of note does a worse topé than Mox yet somehow no one talks about it. hosed up.

His tope is so bad that i've now come around to actually liking it in its badness

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Rarity posted:

The mic shots looked weak but Jon Moxley has been whiffing on his kicks for years and he's one of the most popular wrestlers in the world so maybe you don't need to be perfect :shrug:

No, you don’t. Everyone makes mistakes and there’s probably not a wrestler on TV who hasn’t inadvertently “exposed the biz” so I’m sure we will all get over it. I look forward to watching Itoh on Dynamite and seeing what the fuss is all about.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efhy8zAkXEY&t=70s

This happened on one of the early Dynamites and did more to expose the business than the weak mic shots, yet I can guarantee that most of you forgot this ever happened.

no, I think most of us remember it fondly because they made an angle out of it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Duke Pukem posted:

no, I think most of us remember it fondly because they made an angle out of it
I remember the Bucks and one of Daniels or Kazarian poking fun at it on BTE but not the angle itself. Guess I'm one of the few who forgot :shobon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

britishbornandbread posted:

No, you don’t. Everyone makes mistakes and there’s probably not a wrestler on TV who hasn’t inadvertently “exposed the biz” so I’m sure we will all get over it. I look forward to watching Itoh on Dynamite and seeing what the fuss is all about.

You're best bet is to check out her match in the Women's Eliminator tournament, it's definitely the best way she's been represented in AEW so far

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I remember the Bucks and one of Daniels or Kazarian poking fun at it on BTE but not the angle itself. Guess I'm one of the few who forgot :shobon:

it wasn't so much an angle; during one of the Dark Order cult vignettes, the dude from the commercials called out the guy who supposedly portrayed that creeper, showed footage of the punches, accused him of whiffing the punches on purpose and commanding the others to attack him

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Raskolnikov38 posted:

how dare she not brain her coworker with a microphone

I mean, the very nature of pro wrestling is pretending to hit people when you don't really hit them. If Maki's job there was to look like a killer who hosed up Hikaru, she did a bad job. But (most likely) her job is to be entertaining comedy jobber, so she did it like a japanese comedy wrestler would do a weapon shot, and people don't get that.

https://twitter.com/annajay___/status/1370610690831048706

Anna is a good friend.

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1370560473633071105
Just because Chris himself retweeted it.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 13, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

No she's not Tay should buy the shoes :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The mic shots could have worked if they were no sold like, “What are you doing?”

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Botchamania is notorious for being only 15 seconds long and only releasing episodes once a month because things like the mic spot just never happen in this biz

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the mic shot heard around the world

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

they stank op

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The internet has easily discussed the mic shot more then anyone in AEW has.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rarity posted:

Yeah like people can grumble about Maki's showing in AEW so far but I'm pretty sure she's getting over as gently caress so who the hell cares

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The mic shots looked bad but then so did Lance Storm's chair shots in ECW. The WCW thread was laughing about one of Hogan's chair shots the other day. They're workers trying to protect other workers which is very good but the hits still look bad. I'd say just don't do them myself but who cares, it's a small thing you laugh about and move on.

I am. I only watch current wrestling occasionally and when I do it's in jeans and a t-shirt.

Edit: gonna post that Hogan clip because it's great.

https://youtu.be/bEvp5bBVZ8Y

Tony’s “What!?” makes me laugh every single time

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Rarity posted:

No she's not Tay should buy the shoes :colbert:

https://twitter.com/TayConti_/status/1370711490597158912

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've never related more to a wrestler in my life

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

*deletes the evidence* i'm not late to this appointment at all

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

People buy shoes?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

People buy shoes?

Not everyone can be Kenny Omega, the greatest wrestler in the world, and have Nike send him free custom shoes. Some people gotta buy em.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
People buy many things, and shoes both suffer wear and tear and also compliment other clothing choices in such a way that having multiple pairs makes sense.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't think anybody should ever buy a shoe.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I tie plastic bags around my feet like a real man

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
i walk everywhere barefoot like god intended

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

vibrams only

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/tbarretribution/status/1370767446546784258?s=21

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That's a weird way to say bad company fails at creating stars then repackages them into other characters that also fail

But sure, keep blaming it on what few fans there are left lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ToBeMiro/status/1370828638392700929

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

love to push my anarchist anti-establishment gimmick by complaining about people not buying my action figures