Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It also has Nathan Fillion voice an octopus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

From a tone/sense of humor perspective: if you like ____________, you might like Resident Alien?

I love me some Resident Alien and the only show I can think to compare it too is Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23. It is missing the over the top real life celebrity side kick, but both shows revolve around the main characters complete lack of awareness and inability to properly interact with society but still manage to be engaging thanks to the supporting cast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can confirm that the show is worth downloading Peacock for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

Can confirm that the show is worth downloading Peacock for.

You are making GBS threads me, I didn't realize they put it on Peacock. Here I am watching it on youtube TV ondemand with 2 channel sound and commercials.

Though, it looks like they are 4 weeks behind, what the hell is up with that.

So, I have to choose between watching a better looking copy with 5.1 sound a month delayed or stay up to date with a lesser copy. Why do they make this poo poo bewildering.

I guess it gives me a reason to watch the season twice.

Also, fairly dark joke in this episode.

Earlier in the episode Harry says that he needs to disguise himself with a mustache, but then he would have to get a job as a firefighter or a pedophile. Later on he meets Max at school with a fake mustache on and Max tells him to take it off because "Mr. Wagner went to prison because he looked like that."

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 13, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh, okay. So Resident Alien isn't just, like, fun good. It's very much legit great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The amazing thing is, it's doing well in ratings too! So rare that something great also is getting a decent following.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

Does the only season of John From Cincinnati end good enough or will I be angry?

I noticed it's on HBOMax and I think I only ever saw the pilot.

If you’re into the vibe the show is throwing down, you shouldn’t have any issue with the resolution

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Resident Alien has a scene where the alien gets hammered and reasons that the best solution to his problem is to kill a kid, followed by the realization that drinking bourbon makes everything more clear and easier. I have never laughed harder at the concept of child murder

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
can one of the admin post an invite link to the discord server? seems the link on gdn.com has gone cold

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nundizo posted:

can one of the admin post an invite link to the discord server? seems the link on gdn.com has gone cold

yo https://discord.gg/UaKh3d9

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

thank you

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Glad to see that people other than me are enjoying Resident Alien! I thought they were going a completely different direction when the operatives showed up in ep 2 or 3 but I'm happy to have been wrong.

I think we were so spoiled with so much good stuff over the last little while that shows like this could easily have flown way under the radar. Nice to hear that ratings are decent, I'm definitely in for as many episodes of alien swearing and murder threats as they're willing to throw at me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I should give Resident Alien another shot, the first episode didn't do much for me.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone watching American Gods? Apparently 8 episodes have aired and I haven't seen one mention of it in the thread

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I watched up to like the 3rd or 4th episode this season then kind of forgot about it. I guess at my most generous I'd say it seemed better than the 2nd season, which isn't saying much, though I did miss Orlando Jones. I'll probably catch up with it once it's done. Is it done?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Looten Plunder posted:

Is anyone watching American Gods? Apparently 8 episodes have aired and I haven't seen one mention of it in the thread

...it didn't get cancelled???

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818200&pagenumber=81#lastpost

It has it's own thread, you know.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

, though I did miss Orlando Jones.

Oh yeah forgot about that. Did they replace the actor ditch the character?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Oh yeah forgot about that. Did they replace the actor ditch the character?

They dropped him. His character was too angry for the new show runner's vision of black America or some poo poo.

But I reckon he was always going to be dropped for causing too much drama behind the scenes. Didn't Ricky Whittle tell him to shut up and keep quiet?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like this season but then I liked the last season too. It's a show purely about mood, basically nothing happens in an episode other than Ian McShane going to see some weird new god and doing his Ian McShane schtick, and also there are scenes with Ricky Whittle. Oh that episode focusing on Dead Wife was good.

I'm honestly shocked it got a third season with these production values because surely no one is watching it. It's a shame they could never keep any actors around for completely avoidable reasons. I will not be surprised or upset when it is cancelled.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 13, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm enjoying the final season of Wynonna Earp. It's so aggressively chipper and camp, and just feels fun to watch. Reminds me of The Legends Of Tomorrow in its sense of being stupidly silly. The most recent episode was some sort of Running Man / Halloween / memory loss mash-up, where a character was recast with the explanation that he "tore off his own face".

God that's dumb. But I laughed a lot and had fun.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Looten Plunder posted:

I just started watching that show after putting it off until I'd read the book, but that hasn't happened. I really like it; even though I keep hitting up the american gods wiki to find out what the gently caress just happened. I'm into season 2 now but all I wanna do is eat some mushrooms and go to the house on a rock.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Never saw his sitcoms but check out Terriers for some Donal Logue owning and such

I just meant the poster was confusing Donal Logue with this guy

Who was ridiculously funny. Stand out and Id love to see him in new stuff.

He was in the Breaking Bad movie tho. Kinda scary there.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

would house MD be a republican ?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Who was ridiculously funny. Stand out and Id love to see him in new stuff.

He was in the Breaking Bad movie tho. Kinda scary there.

??? No, I wasn't. Donal Logue was the guy in Grounded For Life, the show I was talking about??

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Who the gently caress is this guy?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Qmass posted:

would house MD be a republican ?

Libertarian.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Slamhound posted:

Who the gently caress is this guy?

That’s a man with a burnt-up rear end

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It takes a minute but drat Matthew Lillard kills it in Good Girls S3

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going back to American Gods chat, I really wanted to like the show as I'm a fan of the book and Gaiman in general but it was just so meandering and slow that I dipped out early in season 2. It seemed like they wanted to expand some parts to make it more of an ensemble but didn't have any ideas of what to do with the characters so they just ended up kind of hanging around doing nothing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

It takes a minute but drat Matthew Lillard kills it in Good Girls S3

Sudden thought that I'd prefer an Agent Shaggy spinoff over the Bosch one

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hakkesshu posted:

I like this season but then I liked the last season too. It's a show purely about mood, basically nothing happens in an episode other than Ian McShane going to see some weird new god and doing his Ian McShane schtick, and also there are scenes with Ricky Whittle. Oh that episode focusing on Dead Wife was good.

I'm honestly shocked it got a third season with these production values because surely no one is watching it. It's a shame they could never keep any actors around for completely avoidable reasons. I will not be surprised or upset when it is cancelled.

Reminder that Bryan Fuller quit American Gods because he wanted something like double the per-episode budget for the second season despite no one watching the show; Starz very justifiably told him to go pound sand.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even with Fuller leaving, if ratings are mediocre I don't understand why they haven't tried to wrap up the story these last few seasons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Timby posted:

Reminder that Bryan Fuller quit American Gods because he wanted something like double the per-episode budget for the second season despite no one watching the show; Starz very justifiably told him to go pound sand.

iirc the s1 budget was like 5mil per episode. He wanted that doubled to 10m for a show that averaged less than 200k viewers. Big :laffo:

Oasx posted:

Even with Fuller leaving, if ratings are mediocre I don't understand why they haven't tried to wrap up the story these last few seasons.

Good question. I guess it's one of the very few "prestige" shows that Starz has.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I actually loved American Gods S2 but the lack of Orlando Jones just kills my interest in S3

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s a man with a burnt-up rear end

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Forest Whitaker is so good on The Shield. The show itself is really good at folding the things that happen back into the storylines, either as new stories or as character motivations

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mistermojo posted:

Forest Whitaker is so good on The Shield. The show itself is really good at folding the things that happen back into the storylines, either as new stories or as character motivations

Anthony Anderson was loving terrifying on the Shield. Never expected to see him as anything but a comedian.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Will Forte is doing another show with a depressing sounding premise. "Expiration Date" is in development at Peacock and stars Forte as a depressed man who takes out a life insurance policy on himself that pays out for suicide but only if he has the policy for at least one year. With the idea being the show following how he lives his last year of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Will Forte is doing another show with a depressing sounding premise. "Expiration Date" is in development at Peacock and stars Forte as a depressed man who takes out a life insurance policy on himself that pays out for suicide but only if he has the policy for at least one year. With the idea being the show following how he lives his last year of life.

That ... is depressingly close to a lot of real-life situations (I had a friend in Iowa who basically did exactly this, except his policy didn't pay out, leaving his family buried in medical bills). Hard pass.