Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

zoux posted:

New update added some mass dismantle features

It also broke copyinserters and ABD >: |

Looks like inserters has a compatibility update already, although I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I just saw that, I'll let y'all know. Right now I'd say the mod update I want the most is No_Advisor

e: it works! I guess somehow that one was loving everything else up because once that updated, all my other mods started working

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 12, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I heard a tip somewhere that you need to let the tip read out fully and dismiss itself. If you do that vs four clicking to dismiss early it sets it to played properly. I've done that in my new playthrough and I ha e only heard each message once as opposed to everytime I reload the game

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I've double clicked all of them in this save and have had no repeats. Do you mean that letting them play would prevent repeats in new saves?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
That sounds correct based on my experience - I've only heard each message once in my playthrough, and I've always let them play through the whole way. Kind of funny that if you like the narrator, you're likely to only hear each line once, but everyone that wants him to shut up is never going to hear the end of him :v:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've double click to dismiss all the time, and every save I randomly get the fact I placed my first inserter, or wind mine, or I have a smelter with no recipie

Leaving it untouched this time around I haven't heard any of it dispute repeated save and loads o er the past week.

You have a different anecdotal test bed, so now I have no idea

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I'm stuck at work, for the mass dismantling does it let you just drag over an area or how does it work? I've wanted to be able to redo a bunch of stuff, and having the ability to just clear off a planet and plop stuff back down without clicking 8 million times would be nice.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I think the second mode works like placing foundations, so a square and anything in that square is deconstructed.

The linked mode I'm unsure about, and also can't fire it up at the moment to look. Possibly delete anything connected to the target? If it is that I hope it follows chains all the way so you can delete a block in one go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

necrotic posted:

I think the second mode works like placing foundations, so a square and anything in that square is deconstructed.

The linked mode I'm unsure about, and also can't fire it up at the moment to look. Possibly delete anything connected to the target? If it is that I hope it follows chains all the way so you can delete a block in one go.

The link mode has been around, I've never gotten it to work. You are correct about the first part though. It's nice because when you've dragged a whole line of smelters with the output sorter backwards, you can just delete the sorters.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 12, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They remodelled the Thermal Plant? I guess they may have removed that pipe jutting out of one end. Probably means pipes won't be a thing after all, maybe.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

toasterwarrior posted:

They remodelled the Thermal Plant? I guess they may have removed that pipe jutting out of one end. Probably means pipes won't be a thing after all, maybe.
They seem to light up much brighter at night now. At least, more than I'd ever noticed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well I checked it and there's a little circle spot at the end where one could presumably run a pipe through but whatever; the model itself looks way cooler and flashier, yeah.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I had issues with my thermal plant models, where the little pipe at the end didn't have a cap on the end of it. Made for really weird looking parts if you got close from the right angles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The batch upgrade and destroy work really well by the way

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I tried out the mass deconstruct, and oh my god it's amazing. That's going to make my plan of actually moving home planets so much easier.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a way to say "I have four miners, how much stuff can I make with these four miners? I'm not making more miners"

I can see there are calculators saying "you'll need 5 miners" and I would prefer something telling me "you can make x items of this, and then you can make y items from the leftover inefficiencies"

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

You really can't, because production isn't truly based on number of miners, it's based on number of nodes covered. The complication is that a miner can cover a varying number of nodes, and more than one miner can cover the same node.

The best solution, much as I hate to say it, is usually to make more miners. Either scoop some ore and handcraft them or have a small production line that throws them into a stack for you.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Why not just make 5 miners? Perfect ratios are a waste of effort, except when it comes to anything oil related(which is my eternal bane)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
To hell with perfect ratios, a full belt is a happy belt

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kazzah posted:

To hell with perfect ratios, a full belt is a happy belt

The true win condition is a full blue belt of production of all end products

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cobbsprite posted:

You really can't, because production isn't truly based on number of miners, it's based on number of nodes covered. The complication is that a miner can cover a varying number of nodes, and more than one miner can cover the same node.
Plus the amount mined per time will change depending on the level of vein utilization (I think that’s the name) researched.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Why not just make 5 miners? Perfect ratios are a waste of effort, except when it comes to anything oil related(which is my eternal bane)

Because at some point, you don't have the tech to move off planet and starting out you're limited by what resources you have.

Anyways, it bugs me when I've built a setup and then the belt is just barely moving, and I've kitty cornered my builders into building something, and now I either need to tear it all down and rebuild (annoying) or figure out a way to siphon off the belt to another set of factory chains (also annoying). If the belt is barely moving it's not being utilized properly.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to say "I have four miners, how much stuff can I make with these four miners? I'm not making more miners"

I can see there are calculators saying "you'll need 5 miners" and I would prefer something telling me "you can make x items of this, and then you can make y items from the leftover inefficiencies"

If it's the lab calculator it's not saying you need five miners, it's the number of veins.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The Free Foundation mod has broken. It was a very handy mod too. <sadness> https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/Taki7o7/FreeFoundations_FreeSoil_HigherBuildRange/1.2.2/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Works fine for me. I was having a problem where all my mods seemed to be broken, and then when copyinserters updated, they all worked again. I know nothing about modding but make sure you have everything else up to date.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, you linked 1.2.2 but that mod is on 1.2.4 for the latest game release.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

necrotic posted:

Yeah, you linked 1.2.2 but that mod is on 1.2.4 for the latest game release.

Ok thanks!!

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Last night I wanted to cover a planet with Matrix labs generating science hashes, got about 1/16th of the main belt of a planet covered with about 5k buildings and got them all filled and researched at 5 million hashes per second!

For 5-10 seconds until I ran out of white science. Then it took 5-10 minutes to restock everything (not to mention that I am nowhere near producing that much antimatter or science per second. Honestly it was probably closer to a few hours worth of science)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I put swarm guns on both poles, what's the ideal orientation of my orbit?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

zoux posted:

If I put swarm guns on both poles, what's the ideal orientation of my orbit?

I think perpendicular to the rotation of the planet around the sun? The way the game calculates this is kinda weird, the guns don't aim for the orbit in general but a specific moving point on the orbit.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

The truest answer is to just mass build guns and put them wherever. Sail production is easy and relatively cheap, guns aren't too expensive and they're a one-time cost. If you're looking to launch sails that will get slorped into the sphere, your limiting factor is pretty much always going to be the number of nodes online to accept them, not the number you're launching.

Or if you just really want to have continuous and stable sail launching, put your guns on opposite sides of the planet. That gives you pretty even coverage and you'll usually have one set or the other firing. If you really want to go gonzo with it, put six on and you'll have between two and four sets firing at any given moment.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Replace equator power belts with em guns problem solved ?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

That also works. But honestly, who seriously puts solar belts on the equator? Ugh, what a terrible thought.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

That also works. But honestly, who seriously puts solar belts on the equator? Ugh, what a terrible thought.

I did that for my first playthrough but it looked kind of ugly and it was more interesting trying to balance thermal power gen before I got deuterium working

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Shipon posted:

I did that for my first playthrough but it looked kind of ugly and it was more interesting trying to balance thermal power gen before I got deuterium working

Yeah, thermal power is so much better to handle because you just ... have it. Crank coal down into graphite for the opener and then upgrade to refined oil and hydrogen. Heck, if you're really lazy you can just slap down a crude oil pump and burn the crude directly. It's infinite.

Probably the most hilarious thing I've done though, is use thermal power to keep other things from backing up. I found out that my fire ice cracking line was backing up because it filled the storage with graphene and then wasn't producing any more hydrogen (which my brand-new fractionation farm was slurping up like mad). So I tossed in a smart splitter that prioritized output to the storage bank and then threw the rest into a thermal plant. Graphene burns so loving fast, I never had a backup problem again.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cobbsprite posted:

:raises paw:

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Polar Solar is superior to Equatorial Solar as long as you are willing to devote equal amounts of solar panels to each pole, and if you have no intention to devote the poles of that planet to anything else (deuterium loops, science labs, etc). Also, horizontal rotation worlds seem to introduce some timing weirdness I haven't quite worked out yet.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
One of my rituals, efficiency be damned, is to line the rings of a planet with solar or wind to mark the lines where the grid shifts and there is an abrupt change in the density of squares. Building across these lines leads to sadness so I do this primarily for the visual indicator with an added bonus of power generation.

The equator is different though as the number of squares doesn't actually change. It is an inflection point, the size of individual squares stops increasing and starts decreasing as you cross it, but this doesn't actually cause the building problems the other latitudinal break lines do. To me the equator is where larger factories go.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Smiling Demon posted:

One of my rituals, efficiency be damned, is to line the rings of a planet with solar or wind to mark the lines where the grid shifts and there is an abrupt change in the density of squares. Building across these lines leads to sadness so I do this primarily for the visual indicator with an added bonus of power generation.

The equator is different though as the number of squares doesn't actually change. It is an inflection point, the size of individual squares stops increasing and starts decreasing as you cross it, but this doesn't actually cause the building problems the other latitudinal break lines do. To me the equator is where larger factories go.

I've been pretty "eeeh" on using wind/solar past the starting planet, but I really like this solution to the problems caused by the changing lines. I might use it if I ever start a new game in the future, especially if we can blueprint the whole thing. I assume you don't do it at the poles or else you won't be able to fit anything else up there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a mod that lets EM rails retarget orbits if they can, so that's my problem solved.