Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
what the gently caress is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i stopped reading the buttcoin threads in like 2016 but unfortunately they've have become mainstream enough that i now hear apparently normal people talking about them in real life, and it's deeply worrying to me. especially about nfts which i hate that i have to know what they are

so my questions for you, dear butt-followers:
1) is there a practical use for cryptocurrency & blockchain poo poo yet that isn't gambling or buying illegal stuff?
2) has mark done anything wrong?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

big scary monsters posted:

i stopped reading the buttcoin threads in like 2016 but unfortunately they've have become mainstream enough that i now hear apparently normal people talking about them in real life, and it's deeply worrying to me. especially about nfts which i hate that i have to know what they are

so my questions for you, dear butt-followers:
1) is there a practical use for cryptocurrency & blockchain poo poo yet that isn't gambling or buying illegal stuff?

1) extracting money from rubes
2) wash your mouth out with soap and say 50 hail tibannes

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Alan Smithee posted:

poor kids have their asses pre-kicked

don't worry; they're probably armed

Hammerite posted:

i mean - he's a buttcoiner and demonstrated awful person in at least 2 ways, so he most likely is an awful person in all sorts of other ways. i just feel like there should be evidence before accusing of any specific flaw.

yeah, it sucks that pressing for details makes you feel like a white knight for a scumbag, but this sort of thing bugs me too

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

You're quite right to question. I found the thing I half remembered: https://designislaw.tumblr.com/post/76087178138/defining-satire-taking-a-sledge-hammer-to-the-castle

quote:

This isn’t even getting to the heart of the matter with The Castle Doctrine - the game is, as a whole, not at all a “satire” of home defense culture. The hard-hitting part of the game is the name alone, a desperate grab at declaring itself as commentary. At no point in Castle Doctrine does Rohrer bother to even acknowledge the endless research proving how racial bias plays a large part of the consequences of Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Legislation.

Fear of the invader, typically non-white, has had frightening consequences across the country - including private security firms being employed that openly engage in racial profiling to “secure the area” and “add value” to the community. White people like Rohrer are so goddamn terrified of threats like feral dogs, “thugs,” and other stereotypes of people of color they go to ridiculously extremely lengths to feel “safe.”

For example, if Rohrer actually cared about protecting his family from a dog he wouldn’t have bought a “tactical” club - he would have sought out a professional that would have taught him how to prevent dog attacks or even stop one in easier methods than the perverted, masculine catharsis of beating the life out of another living creature. Stocking up on weapons and fancy doorjams are not a guarantee of safety when one doesn’t have a goddamn clue what they’re doing and are forced into a panic situation without the luxury of preconceived imagined bravado to back them up. Instead, Rohrer chooses to wrap himself in the robes of masculine fantasy and telling himself he’ll be the calm and collected hero that’ll save the day if harm ever comes to his family, without ever considering the consequences of this foolhardiness.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What I'm getting from this is he's not very bright.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Paladinus posted:

me too. I am also not very bright

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Paladinus posted:

i know i am but what am i

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

quote:

The only thing that sucks about not yet having any bids on my first NFT at Foundation is that I was counting on the proceeds to pay to mint and list the next few NFTs that I make. Without those proceeds, I’m too broke to actually do that, so no new NFTs. (And now the people who’ve read one scare article about NFTs smile with smug satisfaction.)
they're almost there...

like sure pal, lemme pay a grand for a glitch art GIF

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yep that one solitary scare article, the article intended to scare people instead of snap them back into reality

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I remember a really funny bit from like 2008 where someone sold a jpeg of a spider on ebay and it was the funniest poo poo in the world

well

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

am I out of touch?

no, it is the financially informed who are wrong

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hammerite posted:

1) extracting money from rubes
2) wash your mouth out with soap and say 50 hail tibannes

glad to hear that nothing has changed in the last five years

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

"mark did nothing wrong" was originally a joke because he obviously did a lot wrong, but it turns out he literally did nothing wrong and was cleared by the japanese courts of all wrong doing.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
stealing bitcoin isn't a crime, not you key not your coins etc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao you'll never believe who won that christie's auction of beeple's collage a couple of days ago:
https://twitter.com/ChristiesInc/status/1370436536626511879

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

oh, so it didn't actually sell for $69 million, but actually for a pile of butts

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

in breaking news, nft man makes large purchase of ntf proving the whole thing legitimate

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Midjack posted:

lmao you'll never believe who won that christie's auction of beeple's collage a couple of days ago:

lmao, I loving knew it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's like buying a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant with a Chuck E. Cheese card (which they apparently use now instead of tokens) while working at Chuck E. Cheese.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

so what's the chance that this beeple guy is related to this NFT "fund" in some way where he keeps a cut of the money but they don't actually have to pay him the full amount?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

beeple a scammer? no way!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Chalks posted:

so what's the chance that this beeple guy is related to this NFT "fund" in some way where he keeps a cut of the money but they don't actually have to pay him the full amount?

he is. the guy's been buying up Beeple stuff for a while now. also, the buyer paid in ether rather than money.

as is usual in crypto, the money only recirculates. $9m to Christie's is a minor promotional cost.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Midjack posted:

crypto is moving coins around like how the stock market moves liquidty

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
should I have heard of beeple?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

divabot posted:

he is. the guy's been buying up Beeple stuff for a while now. also, the buyer paid in ether rather than money.

as is usual in crypto, the money only recirculates. $9m to Christie's is a minor promotional cost.

seems like some of the breathless reporting of this would benefit from pointing this out but it's all just "wow i can't believe someone paid that much maybe this is the next big thing?" when the slightest investigation reveals it as a marketing stunt

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

KnifeWrench posted:

i've followed him for a few years, cuz i thought his work was cool. from a technical perspective, his work is pretty neat. you can see a lot of growth over the span of his dailies stuff.

https://www.beeple-crap.com/everydays

idk it was kind of disappointing surprise to me when he started posting about blockchain stuff a few months ago and then it turned out to be for this dumb poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KnifeWrench posted:

You might have heard of his brother boople.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

is this related to bepis?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

is this related to bepis?

Please, bepis is my father.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
he's riding high now but he's going to get eaten by a burple beeple eater and then he won't be so pleased

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

so your best evidence that he is a racist is that he mentioned that an area he lived in has a high crime rate and that it impacted his life, without drawing any link to the demographics of said area?

there's clearly enough, between the anti-vaccination stance and him stealing people's artwork for buttcoins and claiming that makes him a "creator", to establish that he's an awful person. there's no need to make extra stuff up.

just fyi that is, in fact, enough

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Are bitcoins racist and/or can you be racist against bitcoins?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

glad to hear that nothing has changed in the last five years

instead of using the energy equivalent of ireland it now uses the energy equivalent of argentina, that's a change

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Are bitcoins racist and/or can you be racist against bitcoins?

yes and yes

have you seen a bitcoinman recently? they all got gentrified out

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kind of a scam, but only kind of :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1370828088360251398

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

we here at Madoff Investment Securities prefer to think of it as a "scamportunity"