Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
riker was catastrophically bad at the aspects of command that involved managing personnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

though he did leave engineering alone for the most part

thats how you get promoted

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mulaney Power Move posted:

hey this was the first thing lucky jack aubrey did when he took command of the hms sophie

wasn't this because it let him pack more people onto the ship, by dint of freeing up more space below decks for people to sleep?

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

About to wrap up my first watch of TNG, had never watched any Star Trek before this.

What series should I start next?

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Drewsky posted:

About to wrap up my first watch of TNG, had never watched any Star Trek before this.

DS9

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Roll over to Deep Space Nine, just be aware that DS9's first season aired at the same time as TNG season six.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also mix in some TOS episodes here and there.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Drewsky posted:

pause briefly to reflect on what a phenomenal series finale TNG has. sleep. dream.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drewsky posted:

Definitely DS9

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also mix in some TOS episodes here and there.

Yeah do this too. Watch Trouble with Tribbles or you'll be a bit confused later on in DS9 I imagine.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Drewsky posted:

I would go against other people in this thread and suggest you watch some of the shittier Treks first. That way you have DS9 to look forward to. It's first season goes down a lot better if you've just given up on Voyager after watching the dumb salamander regression sex episode for instance.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Drewsky posted:

I would actually recommend taking a break so you don't burn out, because those first seasons can be harsh to watch after coming off the final seasons of TNG. Watch the pilot episodes for DS9 and VOY and watch the one that grabs you better. This thread loves to bag on Voyager, but it's good viewing if you don't watch too closely.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Voyager is basically just TNG seasons 8-14, but with a new, young, hip crew

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drewsky posted:

BoJack Horseman. It's excellent.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Drewsky posted:

Sorry, it's all down hill from there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Harry Kim remembers being in his mother's womb :psyduck:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i love how the ds9 klingon sex comedy is right between The Ship and Nor Battle To The Strong

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PostNouveau posted:

Harry Kim remembers being in his mother's womb :psyduck:

Lots of people remember being in harry Kim's mother's womb

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Janeway is getting high and asking a salamander for help. Voyager is very cool.

My head canon is that Chakotay is loving with anyone who asks him anything about his culture.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

wasn't this because it let him pack more people onto the ship, by dint of freeing up more space below decks for people to sleep?

yes. the men were too used to their ease.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PostNouveau posted:

My head canon is that Chakotay is loving with anyone who asks him anything about his culture.

Late series twist where Chakotay reveals he’s a Jewish guy from Chicago named Roger.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaptainSkinny posted:

I would actually recommend taking a break so you don't burn out, because those first seasons can be harsh to watch after coming off the final seasons of TNG. Watch the pilot episodes for DS9 and VOY and watch the one that grabs you better. This thread loves to bag on Voyager, but it's good viewing if you don't watch too closely.

DS9's first couple of seasons are really not any worse than TNG's last couple of seasons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drewsky posted:

Ignore anyone saying to watch Voyager first that's weird on so many levels. Watch some original series then DS9. Maybe watch some of the original series films after you finish season one of TOS.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 13, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tom Paris has a gently caress program on the holodeck and he's invited all the officers to join him.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Probably best not to watch Voyager at all to be honest.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo, somehow I never realized he was also Jellico :stare:.

That said, Kinsey was really fun to hate, and the writers knew it :allears:.

Also worth noting, I saw his early episodes recently and every facial expression the man used was identical to trump. it was horrifying

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Voyager or Enterprise? If you had to pick one.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

DS9's first couple of seasons are really not any worse than TNG's last couple of seasons.

I respectfully disagree. The first few episodes are so boring. That first season is why do many people I know never see the greatness of the rest. But that's just my opinion and it probably is not in line with most people here.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pondex posted:

Enterprise actually tries, so I’d go with that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pondex posted:

Do you want TNG-lite that is often frustrating close to being good, or SPACE MURCA for all the problems that implies?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Zedd posted:

Do you want TNG-lite that is often frustrating close to being good, or SPACE MURCA for all the problems that implies?

I haven't watched any Voyager yet and not sure I will. Otoh I'm kind of in the weeds with Enterprise s3. That post-9/11 grimness doesn't fit trek Imo

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Voyager has all the trappings and feel of TNG and DS9 even if the writing is way worse. I'll take the comfort of familiarity every time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzlVpiypOM

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

This episode is good as hell

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Like that wouldn't have been a perfectly serviceable TOS episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Move Along Home is like, the fourth best episode of DS9 S1.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CaptainSkinny posted:

I respectfully disagree. The first few episodes are so boring. That first season is why do many people I know never see the greatness of the rest. But that's just my opinion and it probably is not in line with most people here.
Mrs Splicer was struggling hard with season 1, only Odo and Quark and the promise of more Garak pulled her through. And the occasionally scene where Sisko lets people know he's onto their shenanigans.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 14, 2021

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
when voyager is your favorite star trek series :smith:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lady Militant posted:

You're not alone, my wife is afflicted with the same malady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lady Militant posted:

I've only seen the first 5 episodes but it slaps so far