Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't buy a combo kit, buy tools as you need them.

This allows you to spread your costs out and get better tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

T Zero posted:

Any recommendations for a motorcycle tool kit? I'm looking to install frame sliders and maybe do oil changes on a japanese sport bike.

I'm guessing I'll need a torque wrench and metric sockets. Anything else? Am I better off buying tools separately or in one of those combo kits?

only kit you should get should be a kit that has a ratchet and metric sockets from ~6mm to ~18mm. get 6pt sockets, not 12 as they will have less of a chance of rounding poo poo off.

harbor freight tools are perfectly fine if you want the cheapest stuff that will work. if you want to spend a bit more on some stuff that has an excellent warranty, is prime eligible, and is handled stateside you can purchase tekton. you can also buy direct and get 10% back on future purchases which is tight. pretty much all my crap is theirs and hasn't let me down just yet. buy stuff as you need it, but a metric socket kit with 3/8 ratchet (or spinny t handle which motion pro makes and I enjoy), hex key set, and a wrench set from 8mm upwards is a very good start that'll let you monkey with most things on your bike and your car if you're into that sort of thing :D

torque wrenches are nice and I have several, but it is not where I'd dump my first $50-$150

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

Don't buy a combo kit, buy tools as you need them.

This allows you to spread your costs out and get better tools.

This but also get a set of 1/4” drive metric sockets with an extension, a JIS screwdriver, a set of Allen wrenches, and a torque wrench. For luxury, get a t-handled wrench with 8, 10, and 12 mm sockets (or a t-handled driver in addition to the ratchet). Breaker bar and 1/2” drive sockets plus box wrench to fit your axle nuts make life so much easier if you do wheel removals, but your stock tool kit may have wrenches that will work if it’s an every now and then thing. That’s extra stuff than for the tasks you mentioned, but it’s about all you need to tighten things that will inevitably loosen or shift out of adjustment.

Some kind of stand(s) to get wheels off the ground is handy for oil changes.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 24, 2021

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
A motorcycle tool kit for me is the tool kit you bring along, not what you use in the garage.

blue mesh bag to keep everything in. waterproof stuff sack + baggage mesh straps to randomly carry a grocery bag on any bike.
First aid kid with extra compresses. tire foam + chain lube. digital tire gauge w/led light. hi wiz west. mini-size multimeter. Wire repair kit.
misc tools. my knipex is the size too small, its 1" max. I still need the bike specific kit for 32mm and similar for rear wheels .

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have two different lengths of extension for my 1/4 and 3/8" drives, because sometimes you only need a little extension and too much will put you somewhere else your wrench can't turn.

Hex bit sockets (allen key adapters for a socket wrench) in the sizes you commonly use are a real nice-to-have, but not a right-away thing. Eventually you'll probably find one or two bolts that are just an absolute bastard to turn with an allen key because of clearances or how you have to hold things, and you'll try the hex bit and it'll take thirty seconds to get apart. So far I've only found them in 3/8" drive but I tend to shop at places like Princess Auto (Canada's Harbor Freight) or hardware stores.

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 24, 2021

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Supradog posted:

A motorcycle tool kit for me is the tool kit you bring along, not what you use in the garage.
...and in addition, you need an "i did something dumb"-kit;
- vulc tape for repairing fuel lines, brake lines
- baggage repairing kit
- manual tire pump, will not go out of air. Tire repairing kit is stored in each of the bieks. Bead breaking spoons, etc are extra.
- tire fix and chain lube
- sewing kit
- rope (200kg)
- luggage rope (2x3m for towing, 800kg)
- emergency blanket (I might ditch that one)
- shoe heating pads
- saw with metal and wood blades
- a wine opener (no poo poo! I was actually called as a toolsman to a vorspiel with 12 sopranos and altos, and had to resort to a screwdriver!)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

helstein fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 25, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
How much do you want to spend and how much do you care about getting nice tools? What do you already have, if anything?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

builds character posted:

How much do you want to spend and how much do you care about getting nice tools? What do you already have, if anything?

Just looking to do really basic maintenance checks, probably nothing more advanced than an oil change or chain lube. I'd like to spend less than $50.
I've got a set of allen keys, pliers, adjustable wrench, vise grips. Basically Ikea assembly tools.

I was debating a torque wrench just because I don't want to overtighten or strip anything.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

T Zero posted:

Just looking to do really basic maintenance checks, probably nothing more advanced than an oil change or chain lube. I'd like to spend less than $50.
I've got a set of allen keys, pliers, adjustable wrench, vise grips. Basically Ikea assembly tools.

I was debating a torque wrench just because I don't want to overtighten or strip anything.

Honestly a lot of this depends on how much money you have to spend. If you have some disposable income to spend on tools... I would figure out if you like wrenching and I'd get super cheap tools to do that.

Harbor freight torque wrenches are fine. You have to put them on 0 torque when you're done or else they stop being accurate but if you always put them back to 0 when you're done they don't move too much. https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63881.html or https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63882.html depending on whether or you're worried about overtorqueing small things or undertorqueing your axle nuts.

Then https://www.harborfreight.com/sae-metric-socket-set-51-pc-63013.html - you may want some larger sockets too depending on what else your bike needs. Usually you can google it and someone else has figured it out.

This looks like a decent deal for wrenches that would be useful. https://slickdeals.net/f/14848228-k...9?src=catpagev2

None of these are particularly nice but they're quite serviceable. If you enjoy wrenching then you can start getting nicer tools because nice tools are a pleasure. This is probably the toolkit that I use more than any other. https://smile.amazon.com/Wera-05004018001-Zyklop-Metric-Ratchet/dp/B00IMF1CCU

T handles are also nice. I used to have a bigger one of these that I liked but I broke it abusing it. https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Spinner-T-handle-Drive-08-0563/dp/B019QQKKL2

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Here's the tools I take with me on a ride:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget to include the cellphone in that kit. Hope you only ride where there is coverage.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Depending on your bike, buy long sockets.

I need an extension for half the sockets on my DRZ, which wibblewobbles everywhere and I just find it annoying. Wish I had a set of long sockets.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Did this once. Waited 4 hours on a basic fault. Bought some basic tools to fix the basics that night.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 25, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just ride with one of those dudes who carries every tool possible in his Goldwing. He even has a compressor installed in the side case. loving great, I tell ya

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UHHHHMMMMMM :actually: many goldwings come with an onboard compressor installed behind the fairing.

My 85 has one and it loving rules. You can adjust the suspension with it and there is a schrader valve you can hook a line up to and air up your tires. In reality all you need to carry is the air line

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

What's the overall CA opinion on Knox Handroids? Worth the price premium or are they more of a gimmick that looks cool vs other gauntlets?

My Alpinestars SP2's are getting really grungy and the seams are starting to come apart. I've had them since 2006 so I think it's time to retire them.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've had 2 versions of the handroid pod gloves, it's the shortie non-gauntlet version. I like them a lot, so I rebought it when the leather wore through on the fingers after about 40k miles of use.
They're pretty drat comfortable after getting broken in, and feels solid. I've not crashed in them though.

I also have the Orsa leather for warmer days.

I like their summer gloves, but I can't recommend their winter/waterproof variants. Their membrane is not as good as goretex as it does not vent hand sweat well + sizing on the winter gloves is messed up vs insulation and fingers. The fingers are too slim in the correct palm size, not taking proper account for their insulation layer.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I love those Handroids with that ratcheting twisty knob. I don't need it but KRRK KRRK KRRK YEAH I'M A COOL BIKER!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

I've had 2 versions of the handroid pod gloves, it's the shortie non-gauntlet version. I like them a lot, so I rebought it when the leather wore through on the fingers after about 40k miles of use.
They're pretty drat comfortable after getting broken in, and feels solid. I've not crashed in them though.

I also have the Orsa leather for warmer days.

I like their summer gloves, but I can't recommend their winter/waterproof variants. Their membrane is not as good as goretex as it does not vent hand sweat well + sizing on the winter gloves is messed up vs insulation and fingers. The fingers are too slim in the correct palm size, not taking proper account for their insulation layer.

Is the big puck at the base of your thumb a bit obtrusive, or does it sit lower than it looks there? Like it looks to me like it would make it harder to close your hand around the throttle/handlebar, but I can't quite visualise exactly where it would sit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is the big puck at the base of your thumb a bit obtrusive, or does it sit lower than it looks there? Like it looks to me like it would make it harder to close your hand around the throttle/handlebar, but I can't quite visualise exactly where it would sit.

It's further back than it looks there, closer to the heel of your hand than the base of the thumb. You can't feel it at all when riding.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

I love those Handroids with that ratcheting twisty knob. I don't need it but KRRK KRRK KRRK YEAH I'M A COOL BIKER!

That's known as a boa enclosure. (boafit.com) They're on some road boots as well. Big in non moto communities.

Not a fan of the handroids, I've broken the little plastic decoration on the top. Knox doesn't my dumb hands well in general.
The scaphoid sliders are worth getting.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Someone in this forum wrecked in a pair a few years back, utterly trashed them, and their hands were basically fine.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

What's the overall CA opinion on Knox Handroids? Worth the price premium or are they more of a gimmick that looks cool vs other gauntlets?

My Alpinestars SP2's are getting really grungy and the seams are starting to come apart. I've had them since 2006 so I think it's time to retire them.

they look like poo poo, OP

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
My Triumph winter gloves have Knox sliders on the base of the palm and them held up really well when I skidded along on my arse with my palms down once. That all I know about them :shrug:.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've had them for almost three years and they're really holding up well. I had to size up from A* sizes, I wear XL gloves in A* but had to get XXL for the Handroids. They were immediately comfortable out of the box compared to my A*, and also feel a lot more substantial. No complaints about them at all, and the nice thing is their appearance is universally loved

right arm posted:

they look like poo poo, OP

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I was looking forward to buying them, but was really disappointed in the newest version of handroids when they came out, don't know if they revised since. For me the thumbs were too long and the redesigned exoskeleton slider bits would catch when I moved my fingers.

Though take my grumbling with a big grain of salt. I'm the kind of person that when I have to replace something I really liked and lived with every day (be it gloves, a cell phone, shoes, etc), the immediate replacement loving sucks and I hate everything about it. When I return it, the next replacement is great and does exactly what I want. I don't know why I do this but it feels childish.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just pulled the trigger on a rev'it akira vintage at 25% off :toot:

I've been ogling this jacket since I started riding 6 years ago, can't believe it's finally happening :swoon:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Looking to get some new offroad riding gear, haven't ridden in *checks notes* 20 years, so most of my gear is horribly outdated (I'm too fat to wear it)
The only things I'm not specifically look for are boots, knee guards and elbow pads (already have them). I'm interested in some pants, probably motocross style with pockets, a lighter jacket, jersey, and camelbak. Anybody have specific recommendations, or directions to start looking. I'm going to primarily be doing day trips, and mostly between April and Sept. in Colorado and maybe southern Wyoming.
I've been looking at some of the ADV specific gear, and it looks nice, but also like it might be doing a little more than what I need it to do. I'm not so sure I need a three layer jacket, or do I?
Also, anybody have any experience with those Chinese, or name brand, body armor shirts? Used to use a roost deflector, but something more substantial would probably be a good idea.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bengy81 posted:

Looking to get some new offroad riding gear, haven't ridden in *checks notes* 20 years, so most of my gear is horribly outdated (I'm too fat to wear it)
The only things I'm not specifically look for are boots, knee guards and elbow pads (already have them). I'm interested in some pants, probably motocross style with pockets, a lighter jacket, jersey, and camelbak. Anybody have specific recommendations, or directions to start looking. I'm going to primarily be doing day trips, and mostly between April and Sept. in Colorado and maybe southern Wyoming.
I've been looking at some of the ADV specific gear, and it looks nice, but also like it might be doing a little more than what I need it to do. I'm not so sure I need a three layer jacket, or do I?
Also, anybody have any experience with those Chinese, or name brand, body armor shirts? Used to use a roost deflector, but something more substantial would probably be a good idea.

Sounds like you might live near me. I'll toss you an XL jersey or two if you're around Fort Collins. They're made to fit over armor. Depending on what size you are, I have a Fieldsheer mesh jacket with armor that's in excellent condition I'd let go for cheap. It's roomy but not huge on me at 5'10", 165#.

I wear a 3-layer adv jacket and it's pretty perfect for Colorado and Wyoming. Mesh/textile outer shell by itself is nice in pretty warm weather, zip-in waterproof wind shell is the next layer inside, it's good for cool temperatures, like when you get up a few thousand feet in elevation from 5000 or in the morning, or when you get caught in light rain. The third layer is insulated and all three together keep me pretty comfortable down to upper 40s at 55-70 mph in the shoulder seasons. No, it's not necessary, but boy is it perfect for riding around here, and the inner layers pack down pretty small in a tailbag.

Check out the Gearage in Fort Collins for a Camelbak, they've always got tons.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 12, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bengy81 posted:

This but bigger size. https://aomc.mx/482-62102.html

Mosko moto just came out with new enduro pants but their gear is all super expensive (and nice). I like fly’s lite hydrogen stuff a lot for breathable pants and jersey and then just put wallet and phone in the hydration pack. I also have klim’s and they’re nice but more ADV than single track.

Cannot recommend the USWE hydration packs highly enough. Miles ahead of camelback but you do need to buy bigger straps.

Helmet you want whatever fits and has MIPS or some equivalent. I also like fly there because they’re good but cheap but honestly fit is what matters. Check out rmatv too they usually have helmets on sale.

Goggles, depends so much on how much you want to spend. Oakley air brakes are supposed to be the nicest but I’ve never tried them because $$$.

They’re known more for goggles but I really like 100% gloves.

You can probably get most of the stuff for super cheap on advrider’s flea market if you’re a L-XXXXXXXL.

What kind of riding are you planning on doing? What kind of bike?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I picked these up, and they are pretty nice. Wore them to work a couple days to test and my feet weren't killing me, so I think they'll work.

So, another question. Riding jeans, which ones don't suck? I'd prefer something cut more on the skinnier side, preferably already with armor too. Again, all street riding/commuting.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm glad you like the Forma Adventure Low boots!

Re jeans, no idea about skinny ones, I am the opposite of a skinny jeans person...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Riding jeans, which ones don't suck? I'd prefer something cut more on the skinnier side, preferably already with armor too. Again, all street riding/commuting.

They all suck, in varying degrees. Rev'it has a few cuts that are on the skinny side but the rear end will hang approximately a hand's length under your actual rear end. Rokker and other brands may have a few that fit better, but I refuse to pay $500 for tarted-up denim

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Dianese jeans are the best-looking pair of jeans I own. They're lean, not skinny. The knee pads disappear in the just-perfect amount of slight looseness, and the hip pads are so thin that I think they might be a sham (CE level 1 rated tho?).

My Bull-It jeans are probably more protective given that they are a supposedly better fiber woven all around, but the combination of 2009 skinny jeans skinny fit and the THICCCCC armor they use is not the greatest. The hip pads have me looking like Nikki Minaj, so I pull them out asap, but the knee pads are also thick as gently caress. The alternative was just baggy ones that let the pads float out of place.

------

Rev-It's first jeans, way back in 2012, must have been made on a pattern for race leathers, because the knee pad pockets were on my shins--as if they expected the cuffs to be up above racing boots. Are they better now?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jnco please make riding jeans you cowards

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's the consensus on getting a hole in the crotch of some A* overpants sewed up (by a professional)? I noticed it being a bit extra drafty the other day and found that not only had the zipper been split open, but I also managed to get another extra vent in the deal, too.

For the record, I have some Secidi 3 season pants as a backup, but I'd still kind of like to have overpants as an option whenever I'm required to go back to the office.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Upgrade the zippers(lol Astars). I personally prefer the big chunky wetsuit style ykk zips over the super fine fuckers. Get em to plate over the blowout with a reinforcement patch so that it doesn't happen again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

What's the consensus on getting a hole in the crotch of some A* overpants sewed up (by a professional)? I noticed it being a bit extra drafty the other day and found that not only had the zipper been split open, but I also managed to get another extra vent in the deal, too.

For the record, I have some Secidi 3 season pants as a backup, but I'd still kind of like to have overpants as an option whenever I'm required to go back to the office.

Just make sure it's done by a tailor/repairer that specialises in motorbike gear and you'll be fine, as long as the material (nylon presumably?) isn't too damaged around the old seam. If it is, they can still be patched, but that's a dodgy place for a patch, comfort and fit wise.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I'm a new rider and trying to decide between the Shoei RF-1200 and the Scorpion EXO-R1. The Shoei seems more premium and feature rich but man I love that Scorpion design. (The black and red). Also the Shoei has a Snell rating, the Scorpion doesn't (but cheaper models like the EXO-R420 do?) I found a black Shoei for $398 online but the Philosopher design (which is a similar design to the EXO-R1), is almost $500 which is more then I'm gonna spend on a helmet currently. Can't decide! Thoughts on these two helmets?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Big Bizness posted:

I'm a new rider and trying to decide between the Shoei RF-1200 and the Scorpion EXO-R1. The Shoei seems more premium and feature rich but man I love that Scorpion design. (The black and red). Also the Shoei has a Snell rating, the Scorpion doesn't (but cheaper models like the EXO-R420 do?) I found a black Shoei for $398 online but the Philosopher design (which is a similar design to the EXO-R1), is almost $500 which is more then I'm gonna spend on a helmet currently. Can't decide! Thoughts on these two helmets?

i like Shoei.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921645&pagenumber=2#post510930062

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Big Bizness posted:

Which one fits better?