Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mewse posted:

Bitwit and his wife worse masks when going to the starbucks drive-thru

And then he goes and surprises his friends on vacation maskless on his new channel, so not everyone is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

And then he goes and surprises his friends on vacation maskless on his new channel, so not everyone is good

Not to mention going hard on the Lyle content there.

I’m gonna go way out on a limb and assume that his exwife hated the Lyle character which is why he is going ham now.

I wonder why they canceled awesome hardwear.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

gently caress Bitwit/Kyle big time, and lowkey gently caress Paul's Hardware for whatever part he's had in enabling Kyle's minstrel show

truly blows my mind that Paul is in a mixed heritage family and the parent of a mixed heritage child, yet somehow Kyle's racist rear end is his friend??

Romes128 posted:

Optimum Tech has amazing cinematography. Best I’ve seen.
IMO he's probably the best overall content creator in the PCDIY space

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Has the cause of their divorce been announced or anything? I know it's probably none of my business but with all the Lyle stuff recently I'm morbidly curious.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Romes128 posted:

I don't follow many tech tubers anymore, but LTT are the only ones I see wearing masks.

His staff is also giant.

I think a team that has a super small staff like GN massless is fine. “Podding” in small offices is rather common.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Has the cause of their divorce been announced or anything? I know it's probably none of my business but with all the Lyle stuff recently I'm morbidly curious.

I try not to theorize because of course I’m fascinated but I also hope for their sake it stays private if thats what they want.

Seems like it is.

That might be why he stopped awesome hardware.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus Tech Tips did another insanely expensive and pointless project, this time an Xbox controller made of solid gold (which is so fragile it can only be handled with cloth gloves):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBQaV0JidZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk2E1Tunoc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-tDammqiKw

Between this and buying $50k of GameStop stock it's a wonder Linus's wife hasn't divorced him yet.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus Tech Tips did another insanely expensive and pointless project, this time an Xbox controller made of solid gold (which is so fragile it can only be handled with cloth gloves):

Between this and buying $50k of GameStop stock it's a wonder Linus's wife hasn't divorced him yet.

On the WAN show he mentioned he was spending so much because he really wanted these videos to go viral. Judging by the amount of views so far it's just another average LTT video.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

He's got a couple million to throw around, what does he care

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

He is up on that investment and the controller is incredible so I'm not sure what you are talking about. :colbert:

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 14, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The real suckers are the people watching this trash.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBQaV0JidZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk2E1Tunoc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-tDammqiKw

A good chunk of the investments were from viewers.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

He also said he was just going to sell it or melt it afterwards, its not like he's just going to have a gold controller lying around.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I like Linus's quarantine beard and I hope he's keeps it

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He also said he was just going to sell it or melt it afterwards, its not like he's just going to have a gold controller lying around.

That was before it turned out really badass.

Now he wants to keep it in his office.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

spunkshui posted:

That was before it turned out really badass.

Now he wants to keep it in his office.

that's going to work out very well

it's not like his staffers don't already take everything not literally nailed down in the office

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The gold controller is cool. Absolutely awful use of money, but if you watch LTT and expect him to be responsible with cash that's on you. He's obviously rolling in the dough, I doubt 70k worth of gold is going to sink the company. Hilarious timing having this project so close to the gamestop share drop. Yvonne is a patient person.

SalTheBard posted:

Linus getting hot is the biggest surprise the show has ever done.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

well why not posted:

The gold controller is cool. Absolutely awful use of money, but if you watch LTT and expect him to be responsible with cash that's on you.

I mean the man has a personal goal of making sure every employee of his can afford to buy a house. Even if he doesn't pay the best in the business, compared to most business owners he's already being irresponsible with his cash in, uh, maybe a good way?

Not going to lie, I wish I had an employer that was hell bent on making sure I could afford to buy a house.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I mean the man has a personal goal of making sure every employee of his can afford to buy a house. Even if he doesn't pay the best in the business, compared to most business owners he's already being irresponsible with his cash in, uh, maybe a good way?

Not going to lie, I wish I had an employer that was hell bent on making sure I could afford to buy a house.

Wow, based in the BC lower mainland that is really a stretch goal, housing prices are insane here.

They must have quite the security at their offices if he’s gonna keep a solid gold controller around, in Surrey, lol.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SalTheBard posted:

His Canadianness increased %1000 with the beard.

well why not posted:

The gold controller is cool. Absolutely awful use of money, but if you watch LTT and expect him to be responsible with cash that's on you. He's obviously rolling in the dough, I doubt 70k worth of gold is going to sink the company. Hilarious timing having this project so close to the gamestop share drop. Yvonne is a patient person.

I bet they already made the money back from views plus people buying Gold Foil Controller shirt

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Man, if that’s true, then I hope Anthony gets out of that tiny rear end apartment eventually. Going from his tech upgrade episode to these videos is fuckin whiplash.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

well why not posted:

Haha I feel that. I hadn't watched his videos in a bit, I turned one on and I'm like "What the gently caress is this?"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus wisely hlod and said on the latest WLAN show he's only down $500 atm on the meme stocks.

He put 10k into AMC and 10k into another stock that's up from $99 to $116.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 14, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NurSpec posted:

Man, if that’s true, then I hope Anthony gets out of that tiny rear end apartment eventually. Going from his tech upgrade episode to these videos is fuckin whiplash.

Take this gold Xbox controller for your down payment

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

HELLO EVERYONE. JUST HERE TO LET YOU KNOW THE NEW AMD CHIPS HAVE ARRIVED AND WE'VE EATEN MOST OF THEM.

FANTASTICHE. SHOUT OUT TO MY FELLOW REBLOCKS OK WELL SEEYA!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

that's going to work out very well

it's not like his staffers don't already take everything not literally nailed down in the office

seems like they take small stuff or stuff that has little to no value. i've seen a few instances of his staff saying they buy things like monitors and gpu's at a discount from the inventory.

but yea if he leaves that in the office it's totally gonna get stolen. maybe not by a staff member, but someones gonna break in and take it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gamers Nexus heist movie to steal the gold controller when?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There’s hundreds of thousands of dollars of camera equipment, high end server CPUs, shipping cases of impossible to get video cards and consumer market CPUs, not to mention the servers and tons of other valuable stuff in there. I’m sure they’re insured. Only the dumbest of the dumb criminals are going to be finally enticed to break in to their office for a gold Xbox controller that will be incredibly recognizable to anyone who they could approach to melt it down, and it’s too weird to resell, and would probably be recognized in that scenario as well.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

yeah but you can't take a 8k RED camera to a pawn shop and not expect them to call the police, the gold controller you can probably just melt and then you've got a lump of gold

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Man just imagine the cool video Linus would make if they got robbed though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Guessing the checks must be great now that Linus posted sponcon about how crypto is free money and good

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Whatever insurance policy he has won't cover the gold controller unless he specifically has it insured and it would be ridiculously expensive to insure.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Based on the remodel videos on LTT I bet one of his staff already has the gold controller collecting dust at their place.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Harlock posted:

Guessing the checks must be great now that Linus posted sponcon about how crypto is free money and good

I thought this was a joke but no he really does have an entire video about how you need to mine crypto before the bubble bursts.

Less than a month after that video about how mining GPUs were horribly irresponsible.

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

njsykora posted:

I thought this was a joke but no he really does have an entire video about how you need to mine crypto before the bubble bursts.

Less than a month after that video about how mining GPUs were horribly irresponsible.

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1371143961641844736
Yeah, no wonder he was too much of a coward to call out miners on that video. Absolute hypocrite.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
At least he's upfront about that being one big add for NiceHash. He probably got paid quite well for that too. Judging from all the adds for crypto everyone, some folks are putting in a lot of money to keep the current bubble going.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doesn't he legally have to disclose sponsorships? He doesn't get credit for doing something when not doing it would get him in trouble

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Like how did he/the company not think the response was going to be mostly negative

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1371202758523506691

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If you let your gaming pc blast away 24/7 mining coins would it even recoup the cost of the power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GutBomb posted:

I’m sure they’re insured.

if you want to have a good belly laugh, consider this phrase: "LTT's fire insurance premiums"