Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I need to find those Commando USA tapes. I am a hosted movie show junkie.

Outside of trading they pop up from time to time on YouTube. The best one just got deleted again but this channel is still up - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCspOnGy-jmzTlRKGpLDwICQ/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yeah, yeah buddy, just like The New Mutants came out. fake news.

buddy somehow the Akira live action remake movie has a release date of 21 May this year and I'm not even sure that film actually exists

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1370714645506498563?s=19

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

buddy somehow the Akira live action remake movie has a release date of 21 May this year and I'm not even sure that film actually exists

The gently caress it does. That film does not and cannot exist. King in Yellow fuckin rear end over here.

pretty sure this guy is my sniper in Wasteland 3.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

People unironically dressing as clowns and calling themselves Joker is definitely not what I expected after the success of the IT remake.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

these persona 5 spinoffs are getting really weird

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

One day, we will live in a society.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Remember all those figurative clowns that said that movie is too dangerous to give a review rating lol

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Remember all those figurative clowns that said that movie is too dangerous to give a review rating lol

My favorite part of the whole Joker discourse is that ultimately Frozen 2 inspired more real world violence.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Lid posted:

Has there been any marketing for it. Like, at all? I want to say there was maybe some kind of trailer that dropped at some point during the Obama presidency and nothing since then.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The last attached director was Taika Waititi and he's currently in Australia making the next Thor movie with buff Natalie Portman so lol that the production company isn't even bothering to update any more

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

The movie will never be made because it’s a transparently bad idea, and hell, I’m glad of it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Tars Tarkas posted:

Wait did that actually happen? That wasn't like a joke about idiot bluechecks?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

There were absolutely dumbasses convinced that Joker would cause right-wing attacks. I dont think they ever engaged with the movie or any of its material, just "alienated white guy starts riot".

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

There were absolutely dumbasses convinced that Joker would cause right-wing attacks. I dont think they ever engaged with the movie or any of its material, just "alienated white guy starts riot".

No there were absolutely members of “the professional clowning community” that were upset joker was making them look bad in the run up to the film.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

No there were absolutely members of “the professional clowning community” that were upset joker was making them look bad in the run up to the film.

Kind of insulting to refer to major news outlets as a "clowning community" but also accurate.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The movie will never be made because it’s a transparently bad idea
He made Jojo Rabbit so he's familiar enough with those

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A live action Akira film is like the equivalent of Half Life 3 but for movies

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

A live action Akira film is like the equivalent of Half Life 3 but for movies

It’s more like Duke Nukem Forever because you know it’ll eventually be made and it’ll be dogshit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Neurolimal posted:

There was also that cop going around and telling any reporter that would listen that actually the Aurora shooter was dressed as the Joker despite all the evidence to the contrary.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chronicle is basically the closest we will get to a live-action Akira film.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Patrick Spens posted:

This was in some big site, maybe EW?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2019/09/10/joker-review/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know there was at least one movie person who blasted Joker as being an irresponsible film, but hadn't actually seen it when they wrote their piece

All of the pre-release poo poo that the media people gave to both Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix was just insane

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I didn’t jive with Joker. It was ok though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Akira would work either as a series fully adaptating the manga, or as a musical.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like Joker a lot more for what it accomplished (highest grossing R-Rated film which is also technically a cape movie that gets away with showing the poor rioting & murdering a rich politician) than the quality of the movie itself. It's pretty solid though.

Like, I would rather we get a hundred more Joker's than ten more typical DC or Marvel films.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Tars Tarkas posted:

Is The Hunt the Mads Mikkelsen film about a man falsely, and made clear falsely, accused of being a child molester? Because from everything i've seen that movir is incredible and didn't know it had been cancelled.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lid posted:

Is The Hunt the Mads Mikkelsen film about a man falsely, and made clear falsely, accused of being a child molester? Because from everything i've seen that movir is incredible and didn't know it had been cancelled.

I’m pretty sure they’re talking about this tire fire.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
The Hunt is the movie about rich liberals hunting conservatives for sport, where conservatives initially got very angry about the movie because they didn't realize who the villains were.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Lid posted:

Can confirm that movie is incredible, but also very depressing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m pretty sure they’re talking about this tire fire.

Oh they called that The Hunt too? Yeah i remember this tone deaf insanity, like when they rebooted Heathers but made the queer kids the oppressors.

Edit: on that note did anything happen with that announced gender flipped version of Lord of the Flies where it was pointed out that story doesnt work if gender flipped.

Lid fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 14, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Damon Lindelof is extremely lucky that Watchmen was a TV show not screened in theaters and that his “we’re all too mean to the fascist conspiracy theorists guys” movie released in theaters during a pandemic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That was also just a few years after the 2016 killer clown panic had made the entire world hate clowns even harder than usual, the professional clowning community was having a rough time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_clown_sightings

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know there was at least one movie person who blasted Joker as being an irresponsible film, but hadn't actually seen it when they wrote their piece

All of the pre-release poo poo that the media people gave to both Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix was just insane

Youtube pranksters have started deliberately riling up "media experts" by feeding them lies, here's a recent example where they got 'royal experts' real angry by making up stuff about the Oprah interview before it had even aired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNDNjZTqnjE&t=159s

It's highly unlikely that the 'media experts' will wise up to this stuff anytime soon so expect to see a lot more of it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That was also just a few years after the 2016 killer clown panic had made the entire world hate clowns even harder than usual, the professional clowning community was having a rough time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_clown_sightings

Youtube pranksters have started deliberately riling up "media experts" by feeding them lies, here's a recent example where they got 'royal experts' real angry by making up stuff about the Oprah interview before it had even aired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNDNjZTqnjE&t=159s

It's highly unlikely that the 'media experts' will wise up to this stuff anytime soon so expect to see a lot more of it

Pretty sure this has been a thing for decades, like with rainbow parties. The media has always been credulous old fucks eager to repeat ridiculous lies that make boomers panic

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure this has been a thing for decades, like with rainbow parties. The media has always been credulous old fucks eager to repeat ridiculous lies that make boomers panic

Still remember the racist Freep threads panicking about the “knockout game”, a concern of theirs that lasted for years.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's just "The King of Comedy" with the Joker in it for christ sake. I enjoyed it and Phoenix was fantastic but all the hand wringing about it is hysterical in retrospect.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

duz posted:

There was also that cop going around and telling any reporter that would listen that actually the Aurora shooter was dressed as the Joker despite all the evidence to the contrary.

The Aurora shooter and his copying of the Joker's famous red hair.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Akira would work either as a series fully adaptating the manga, or as a musical.

A while back I remember a article about Otomo teaming up with Adult Swim to do a series that would adapt the manga faithfully, but I feel like even if it's still in the works it'll be very expensive and time consuming to make

Still remember the racist Freep threads panicking about the “knockout game”, a concern of theirs that lasted for years.

My grade 8 homeroom teacher would hand out articles about the latest hysterics in the media (she was a huge Oprah fan and Oprah was big into chain letter headline news). Then we'd have to journal about it, and the KO game was one of the stories. To give people perspective, I turn 38 next month. poo poo's been around a while.

She's currently facing jail time for embezzling from the school that she was a principal at.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oprah is responsible for unleashing so many charlatans and mainstreaming so many bullshit moral panics into the world.