Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/GolazoDan/status/1367652566734147585

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1369646360258097158

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
WCW released a video game without a wrestling ring. There was a rumor they were planning to remove the ring from television too.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

did anyone in this thread ever actually call the hotline?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Low Desert Punk posted:

Not this one, but as a kid I called the WWF Hotline (also hosted by Mean Gene) a bunch so I could get scoops and play games to try and win prizes.

My parents weren't happy when the phone bill came.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Animal-Mother posted:

There was a rumor they were planning to remove the ring from television too.
I'm like 99% sure this was Russo's idea

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

I had the toll free back door number and was able to listen to all of the options.

Fun fact - if you called the back door number and entered the number that corresponds to FREEBIRD, you would hear a 10 minute recording of the song that I recorded.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

Not myself but I always like hearing how Gene got a cut of the take and was making a lot of money from that alone and one of the more notorious examples of how they'd try to sucker you into calling was talking about how a wrestling world champion in his 40s had unexpectedly passed away and you were meant to think it was Flair because he hadn't been on TV for a while. I think it was at the very end of the call you found out it was former AWA champion Jerry "Crusher" Blackwell.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I had the toll free back door number and was able to listen to all of the options.

Fun fact - if you called the back door number and entered the number that corresponds to FREEBIRD, you would hear a 10 minute recording of the song that I recorded.

SHIMMER's Dave Prazak talks about how he and a circle of friends essentially used it as voicemail.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 14, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

Not myself but I always like hearing how Gene got a cut of the take and was making a lot of money from that alone and one of the more notorious examples of how they'd try to sucker you into calling was talking about how a wrestling world champion in his 40s had unexpectedly passed away and you were meant to think it was Flair because he hadn't been on TV for a while. I think it was at the very end of the call you found out it was former AWA champion Jerry "Crusher" Blackwell.
It was worse than that: Not only had Flair been off TV for months, but Terry Funk had ALSO left WCW days after Flair lost the retirement match to Hogan AND Harley Race (who was 51, but the fans would have lumped him in mentally) had just been sidelined by a car accident that ended his WCW career AND Bob Backlund had just been pulled from his house show program with Diesel with the thinnest of storyline explanations. (In storyline, IIRC, Jeff Jarrett subbed for Backlund because Shawn Michaels, who was cornering Backlund, wanted to mess with Diesel's preparation. In reality, the Diesel-Backlund matches had been so bad that there was fear it would turn fans off, also IIRC.) So not only would nobody have assumed that he meant "former World Tag Team Champion," but on top of the most natural assumption being Flair (remember, promotions barely ever acknowledged deaths on TV back then), there were very specific reasons at that time that would have made the other three most prominent former world champs in that age bracket obvious suspects for who Okerlund was talking about.

It ALWAYS would have been a lovely thing to do with any death, but Okerlund did it in the sleaziest way possible at the worst possible time while using the death of someone who he worked with closely for several years.

quote:

SHIMMER's Dave Prazak talks about how he and a circle of friends essentially used it as voicemail.
Quite possibly my favorite story that anyone has ever told on a podcast I was involved with, especially once I found the receipts and further jogged his memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FZimGjJ-sM

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 14, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

It was worse than that: Not only had Flair been off TV for months, but Terry Funk had ALSO left WCW days after Flair lost the retirement match to Hogan AND AND Harley Race (who was 51, but the fans would have lumped him in mentally) had just been sidelined by a car accident that ended his WCW career AND Bob Backlund had just been pulled from his house show program with Diesel with the thinnest of storyline explanations. (In storyline, IIRC, Jeff Jarrett subbed for Backlund because Shawn Michaels, who was cornering Backlund, wanted to mess with. In reality, the Diesel-Backlund matches had been so bad that there was fear it would turn fans off, also IIRC.) So not only would nobody have assumed that he meant "former World Tag Team Champion," but on top of the most natural assumption being Flair (remember, promotions barely ever acknowledged deaths on TV back then), there were very specific reasons at that time that would have made the other three most prominent former world champs in that age bracket obvious suspects for who Okerlund was talking about.

It ALWAYS would have been a lovely thing to do with any death, but Okerlund did it in the sleaziest way possible at the worst possible time while using the death of someone who he worked with closely for several years.

Oh, wow. I was trying to recall if there was somebody else at the time they wanted you to think it could have been and thought it might have also been Dusty but couldn't recall off the top of my head what his status was at the time, but that's even worse.

quote:

Quite possibly my favorite story that anyone has ever told on a podcast I was involved with, especially once I found the receipts and further jogged his memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FZimGjJ-sM

Yeah, I always like hearing Dave on your show but that was next level.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow. I was trying to recall if there was somebody else at the time they wanted you to think it could have been and thought it might have also been Dusty but couldn't recall off the top of my head what his status was at the time, but that's even worse.
Dusty was hosting WCW Pro with Gordon Solie and Larry Zbyszko at the time, but...this was several months after WWF TV had to ignore Joey Marella's death for over a month because he died driving home from a full cycle of TV tapings. So if you wanted to, it wouldn't even be a stretch to think that a fan prone to calling the hotline might also consider Dusty and Zbyszko as part of the list of suspects, as well.

quote:

Yeah, I always like hearing Dave on your show but that was next level.
We need to have him back soon, don't we? Love that guy. Pleasure to have known him for...geez, we're almost at 20 years now, aren't we?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

davidbix posted:

In reality, the Diesel-Backlund matches had been so bad that there was fear it would turn fans off
The story I heard was that Backlund refused to take the jackknife ever again after it hosed him up during the squash at MSG, so Diesel would always win by countout or DQ, hence why the matches were bad

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 14, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Prodigy BB drama is a very specific kind of nostalgia for me. Strong stuff.

Of course my friends on there never did anything as good as back dooring into the WCW Hotline we just used a friend to get us free long distance party lines which we then prank called people from including Stephanie McMahon which was promptly ruined as someone laughed right after she or her maid or whoever picked up.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Nick Jr. Face posted:

The story I heard was that Backlund refused to take the jackknife ever again after it hosed him up during the squash at MSG, so Diesel would always win by countout or DQ
That wasn't the story reported at the time. Is that from a shoot interview or something? Of the four Diesel-Backlund rematches that TheHistoryOfWWE.com has the actual finishing move for, half have jackknife finishes and I don't see any with DQ or countout finishes.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
That's what Bruce Prichard claimed so I should have known better. According to him, Backlund was expecting a normal powerbomb instead of the release powerbomb he got, landing hard on his lower back and tailbone, which he was not pleased about. If they did have additional matches where the jackknife was the finish then I might have misheard what he said about that particular program.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

davidbix posted:

Dusty was hosting WCW Pro with Gordon Solie and Larry Zbyszko at the time, but...this was several months after WWF TV had to ignore Joey Marella's death for over a month because he died driving home from a full cycle of TV tapings. So if you wanted to, it wouldn't even be a stretch to think that a fan prone to calling the hotline might also consider Dusty and Zbyszko as part of the list of suspects, as well.

Don't forget Dusty hosting Prime, the Z show of WCW syndication.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

quote:

WCW Prime mainly featured mid-card matches. There wasn't much storyline advancement or main-event wrestlers on the show. Sometimes, matches from WCW WorldWide and WCW Saturday Night were featured, along with highlights from the major shows such as WCW Monday Nitro. The main event was referred to as the "Prime Match of the Week" on-air. The show was hosted by Dusty Rhodes and Chris Cruise, who was later replaced by Tony Schiavone. The show was a little more relaxed than the other programs, with much comedy in the commentary. For instance, right before the "Prime Match of the Week", Dusty Rhodes would call it the "Moo Match of the Week" and moo on-camera because of a dairy sponsorship.
:lol:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

The story I heard was that Backlund refused to take the jackknife ever again after it hosed him up during the squash at MSG, so Diesel would always win by countout or DQ, hence why the matches were bad

In one shoot interview, Diesel said Backlund took the powerbomb at the MSG squash and crawled all the way to the back to put him over, which Nash was always really appreciative of. Maybe that got tangled up into a story that it legit hurt Backlund, which I'd never heard of.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I always heard Backlund had a blast being crazy ol' Bob Backlund and putting the new guys over

The Diesel squash was one of my favorite moments ever and made me a Big Daddy Cool mark 4lyfe

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/MengsMullet/status/1370995739325775874?s=20

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

li'l naitch sells that punch better than like 90% of wrestlers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

I actually thought Tank clocked him, and wouldn't rule out him trying to

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think he wuold crumple rather than fly backwards if it were a real punch

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
i've watched this on repeat but only because i cant work out if thats Vampiro or Shaggy 2 Dope

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lid posted:

i've watched this on repeat but only because i cant work out if thats Vampiro or Shaggy 2 Dope

i can confirm that it is

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

well unless shaggy put on 50 lbs and grew out his hair....

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

well unless shaggy put on 50 lbs and grew out his hair....

back then Shaggy had hair!

so did Vampiro for that matter

every mother fucker balding

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

back then Shaggy had hair!

so did Vampiro for that matter

every mother fucker balding

his hair was orange and about as long as violent j was when he was in that stint of wcw

just go watch the icp gets powerbombed off the bus match

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he also shaved his head during wcw

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

When I saw Prime, there wasn't a dairy sponsorship, or any sponsorship.

But Rhodes was mooing on camera for the Prime Match of the Week.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Don't forget Dusty hosting Prime, the Z show of WCW syndication.
Prime launched later in 1995, IIRC.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

A friend asked him about what was going through Robinson's mind when he took that (aside from Tank's fist):

https://twitter.com/FallWrestling/status/1371139552652488712

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I actually thought Tank clocked him, and wouldn't rule out him trying to
Schiavone refused to do an angle where he'd get punched by Tank. Good call.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Schiavone refused to do an angle where he'd get punched by Tank. Good call.

I'm inclined to agree, Tank comes off as a bully and bullies always take shots where no retribution is a given

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He's also a barber.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm inclined to agree, Tank comes off as a bully and bullies always take shots where no retribution is a given

Yeah. Just rewatch his UFC fight against the big Hawaiian fella. He's not a graceful winner which certainly says something about him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
In the UFC, Tank was often going up against practically untrained guys who seemed to think that a real fight was going to be like Bloodsport, or against people like Hugo Duarte who unwisely wrote him off. He had boxing experience and went to college on a wrestling scholarship, but they listed his fighting style as "Pit Fighting." He was playing a character.

That said, Tank was a wrestling personality insofar as his character was an exaggeration of the real guy. I've seen a lot of rumours floating around that he was indeed a bully, the kind of guy who picks fights and rationalizes that his victims did something to deserve it after the fact. For example, he spent a few months in jail because he beat up a cop's son for being a "smartass." When he turned this experience into a novel, he was heroically stopping the guy from abusing his girlfriend.

Personally, I think it's very funny for an obese bouncer who claims to have mastered an imaginary martial art to wind up twitching on the floor. Apparently he had some behind-the-scenes beef with Abbott. Abbott has a reputation for picking fights with bouncers in Orange County; Matua was a bouncer in Orange County.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1372563578843230213

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Seamless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Psycho shower scene of table breaks. Inadvertently Hitchcocked themselves