Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Spice tree is insanely good imho. Can one of you knowledgeable guys decipher what’s in this one???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The recipe is on their website......

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It only says what two of them are unless I’m being stupid? I thought someone might know what the vague ones actually are

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh, right. Their "Highland Malt Blend" is

A Blended Malt Scotch Whisky composed of 60% aged malt whisky from the Clynelish
distillery, 20% aged malt whisky from the Dailuaine distillery and 20% aged malt whisky from
the Teaninich distillery

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Their special releases aren't cheap, and you should decide for yourself if you think they're worth it, but IMO they have elevated blending to an artform. I haven't had a single bottle from them that I didn't like.

yeah, agreed

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad BiB since it was $19. This is the “worst” whiskey I’ve ever bought—the closest would be Bulleit Rye or Rittenhouse.

It’s not terrible but I’d rather pay a little more for Evan Williams SiB.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Thems fightin' words, haha. OGD BiB is my jam.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think the 114 is better

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad BiB since it was $19. This is the “worst” whiskey I’ve ever bought—the closest would be Bulleit Rye or Rittenhouse.

It’s not terrible but I’d rather pay a little more for Evan Williams SiB.

If OGD BIB and Rittenhouse are in your top 3 all-time worst whiskeys, I want your life and/or liquor budget.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scythe posted:

If OGD BIB and Rittenhouse are in your top 3 all-time worst whiskeys, I want your life and/or liquor budget.

I was trying to find a polite way to say the same thing lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Scythe posted:

Casu Marzu posted:

I was trying to find a polite way to say the same thing lol
I was actually thinking about this when I made the post. Until September, I basically never bought any whiskey for home consumption and would only drink it at bars. In grad school, I might have a bottle of Johnny Walker Black sitting around for Scotch and cigars, and I've certainly purchased things like Jack Daniels Green Label and Old Overholt for house parties. And of course I've had "whiskey and diet" at dive bars. But in terms of personal consumption at home? The cheapest bottles would probably be Old Grand Dad BiB and Rittenhouse.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 15, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Budget bottles are interesting when you have a huge collection. I'm over 100 bottles now and about half-2/3 are bourbon or rye. I never really feel the need to drink anything cheaper than a store pick Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig Small Batch.

Rittenhouse and Mellow Corn are like my staple budget bottles, and they're my go-to mixers in that sense I also keep them because they're not BASIC BOURBON.. Occasionally I'll make a cocktail with something like Knob Creek or in the $30 price range too. Discounting those and the bottle of Old Tub I got last summer, I generally don't really keep "budget bottles" - so I kind of understand where JL is coming from.

If we're talking budget bourbon, again, I have so many bottles that I'm not going to reach for anything super cheap when I can drink McKenna/ECBP, Russell's/Rare Breed, OF1910/1920, so why bother owning a bottle. I don't have a bottle of WT101, OF100 or EWBIB but if I was on vacation with friends or something and we were renting a house or cabin or something, that's what I'd grab.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I was actually thinking about this when I made the post. Until September, I basically never bought any whiskey for home consumption and would only drink it at bars. In grad school, I might have a bottle of Johnny Walker Black sitting around for Scotch and cigars, and I've certainly purchased things like Jack Daniels Green Label and Old Overholt for house parties. And of course I've had "whiskey and diet" at dive bars. But in terms of personal consumption at home? The cheapest bottles would probably be Old Grand Dad BiB and Rittenhouse.

Yeah, I get this. I also generally buy nicer whiskey by the bottle to drink at home than I do at a bar. (And, I never stepped all the way up to Black Label in grad school! Though, as I think I recently posted in here, I used to drink Weller Antique 107 for under $20/bottle at around then, so American always won out over scotch in terms of value.)

It's still funny though, because I think Rittenhouse is the best price/performance rye bar none, and I've kept a bottle in my house pretty much continuously for like 15 years at this point (mostly for manhattans and sazeracs). I haven't had an OGD BIB in a long while, even though I remember loving it at the time. It's probably worth finding one of those for old times' sake.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve never had Rittenhouse, but I want to try it. My 97 y/o Granny was a Rittenhouse before she was a Smartymans, and wants nothing to do with that family after she was kicked out because she she was an adult (at 14!) during the Depression and was another mouth to feed. She has Dementia and can’t tell she’s watched the same episode of Wheel of Fortune 4 times in a row (she marvels that I can solve the puzzles with 0 visible letters :agesilaus: ), but she hates everything about the Rittenhouse family!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Carillon posted:

Bought Compass Box Glasgow blend and have been really pleasantly surprised. It's smokey on the nose but sherry sweet I find drinking it. Does anyone know what the constituent juice is in the blend?

Glasgow Blend is my go-to blended Scotch. Excellent flavor to price ratio without being overpowering, cloying, or acrid. IMO, a great option for people who want to taste a bit of what Scotch has to offer on the bolder end of things without getting punched in the face.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Kentucky Owl Confiscated worth $125?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

No
Edit: to clarify, that's the MSRP, but it's not worth that at all

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
They artificially inflate their MSRP to thwart the secondary market. It would make a *little* sense if it was actually good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

It would be pretty good at $50 but lol at $125 or more for it

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Semi-new whiskey drinker here; I'm getting an unexpected bonus at work and want to spend a little of it on it on a new bottle. Bourbon or scotch, I've currently got Uigeadail and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof so maybe an unpeated single malt or good blended Scotch? What's your favorite bottle for $50-75ish?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Get a Glendronach imho. I also love the Balvenie Caribbean cask 14 for that sort of money.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toebone posted:

Semi-new whiskey drinker here; I'm getting an unexpected bonus at work and want to spend a little of it on it on a new bottle. Bourbon or scotch, I've currently got Uigeadail and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof so maybe an unpeated single malt or good blended Scotch? What's your favorite bottle for $50-75ish?
I love Uigeadail and I like my Elijah Craig store pick (nor barrel proof) so I would recommend Old Forester 1920 or Highland Park 12.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toebone posted:

If you go bourbon you might want to get two bottles at that price.

If you go Scotch there is a lot of ton stuff in that range. I would decide first what you want to try: something with age, cask strength/high proof versus lower proof, sherried/finished versus unsherried, and as you mentioned unpeated versus peated.

Compass Box has some fun blends in that price range, and Johnnie Walker Green is a tasty all-malt 15 year-old blend that also falls towards the bottom end of your target, but generally you'll probably want to go with a single malt of you're laying down $50+. Sort of a shot in the dark, but I have enjoyed Benriach Cask Strength, which I believe lands at around $65 or so at Total Wine. Big, bold, unpeated, malt-forward.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Huh, looks like they may have jacked up the price on Benriach. Their offerings are generally still quite good but the cask strength version may be north of $75 now, sadly.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Redbreast 12 cask strength is Irish Whisky instead of Scotch, but drat if it isn't one of the best bottles I've had in a long time and at a pretty good price point.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Toebone posted:

Those are both pretty viscous bottles, so if that's what you'd like I'd probably suggest continuing in that direction with something like Aberlour A'bunadh (which should be like $75-85, so it might be a price stretch depending on your local prices), if that doesn't work, the Glendronach 12 suggested earlier is probably the right move for variety

In the alternative, Compass Box spice tree, or the Balvenie 14 as also suggested

Another high proof bourbon like rare breed or of1920 if you want to go in that direction too
Heck, if you can find rare breed rye I'd actually say go for that

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How is the rare breed rye?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

I like it a lot. Fits right in with other premium "on shelf" ryes (Pikesville, Willett 4, KC SiB, Whistlepig)
Tastes a bit like you're drinking a chocolate orange

I did a blind with it and 3 other cask strength ryes a a few months ago with slightly more detailed tasting notes if you look back through my posts you can probably find it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Huh, looks like they may have jacked up the price on Benriach. Their offerings are generally still quite good but the cask strength version may be north of $75 now, sadly.

The rebrand has to be paid for somehow.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I wish I could find this. Shows up as out of stock pretty much everywhere near me.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
The first thing I would spend a bit o’ bonus at a bar tasting different bourbons or Scotch and asking the bartender for a wide selection/advice. I would hate to make a brand new whiskey drinker be turned off by a dram of Johnny Walker Red (absolute poison do not try) or Laphroig Quarter Cask (my favorite but a smoke bomb). I’ve been drinking bourbon since I was 14 (shouldn’t have, I know, but it is what it is) and have really missed my local bar for being able to try new stuff without spending money on a whole bottle of hype!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's tricky though, right? For high-dollar stuff you can try it at a bar to get the experience, but they're inflating the price to an insane degree. I had a pour of the Clase Azul añejo at a bar for $90, which is like 3x the shelf price per ounce, but I'm not spending $700 for a bottle like a "smart" buyer

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
No you are correct. It really makes a difference where you are. The bartender at the Skybox in Collierville, TN I go to usually sends me a dram of bourbon with my breakfast burger especially if it’s something new or really different in some fashion. I’ve been going to the same place for Friday lunch for like seven years now, and probably spent more on fries than he loses giving me a shot of a new rye or high-proof bourbon. He scraped through the quarantine and will open April 15th for dining in, but most lunches I still buy takeout and since it’s a family run business I do feel good supporting him and while he had to cut hours for some of the folks nobody got laid off and everyone comes back April 1st. He doesn’t have much Scotch but his bourbon selection is unmatched unless you go to the Peabody or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Point. Course in my case it was at the Minetta Tavern in Greenwich Village so they're probably not hurting for hipster buxxx even in these trying times. Good black label burger though, worth the hype

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m more surprised that we don’t have a small group that sends samples to each other. A couple of friends and I used to trade 2oz pours in glass bottles. I was able to try some things that I would’ve been super dissatisfied if I purchased a whole bottle.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd be down. I am definitely glad I had a sample of Willet 4yo rye before dropping cash on the bottle, as it is definitely not for me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Infinite Karma posted:

Redbreast 12 cask strength is Irish Whisky instead of Scotch, but drat if it isn't one of the best bottles I've had in a long time and at a pretty good price point.

Seconding this. I brought a bottle home from Ireland when I was there in 2019, and it's one of the best whisk(e)ys I've had the pleasure of drinking.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone ever had Nicholson 1843? With a 7 year age statement, 100 proof, and some wheat in the mashbill (my partner’s preference) it seems like a good fit for a cocktail bourbon, particularly for the $25 it goes for locally.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Speaking of blended whiskies, in the Before Times my friends and I had a blind whisky tasting and this cheap Japanese blend I picked up called The Tottori won hands down.

It has that wonderful honeyed Glenlivet vibe and was like $65 in the expensive spirits hellscape that is Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Went to a bar (Texas) last weekend and they had a lot of the BTAC. Unfortunately I was driving, so I only had one, but boy oh boy was the Thomas Handy a good one. So excited I went to grab some Baby Saz this week, and it's definitely closer than I expected. Good job Buffalo Trace; I'm not generally a huge fan of you.