Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Tolkien invented the word "dwarves." "Dwarf" both as a mythological creature and a term for humans of smaller stature existed previously, but it was always pluralized as "dwarfs" before Tolkien.
Are you calling me stupid?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Since tolkien we call you vestupid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah well if Tolkein was so clever, why is he dead?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He died as jrr tolkein and came back as grr martin.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

He died as jrr tolkein and came back as grr martin.

Gonna need a Hindu wise man to explain the karmic implications of this.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Gonna need a Hindu wise man to explain the karmic implications of this.

Obviously Tolkien lived a selfish and unworthy life.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Garrand posted:

I was going to bring that up but he's actually since apologized for that and said he was wrong

https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1370072111818084358

This person was recently revealed to be a paid shill for a Dem PAC, and everything he tweets reveals pretty transparently what the current DNC line of thought is. I guess once Cuomo passed a certain threshold of accusers, party leaders decided it was time to back off the misinformation and to start weakly calling for him to be held accountable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

This person was recently revealed to be a paid shill for a Dem PAC, and everything he tweets reveals pretty transparently what the current DNC line of thought is. I guess once Cuomo passed a certain threshold of accusers, party leaders decided it was time to back off the misinformation and to start weakly calling for him to be held accountable.

I think both Senators from New York, including the one that's currently top ranking Senator, saying he should resign might have something to do with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
They either need to be playing BrooklynDad Defiant much more or much less. Either he needs side-hustles and interests that aren't milquetoast political takes, or he needs to be paid enough to put some goddamn effort into it.

Please, think of his BrooklynKids Defiant!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

This was a legitimate fight between my ex and I. She honestly thought wolves was spelled and pronounced woofs and correcting her was "calling me stupid, and I'm not the stupid one you are" and then she just got real emotionally abusive

Good times

Did you show her a dictionary?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Obviously Tolkien lived a selfish and unworthy life.

It's spelled "selvish" now thanks to Tolkien.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Len posted:

Can't wait for his Mars base that's not following Earth laws and has indentured servants. It's going to be peak efficiency

It'll probably be a mercy to have no sense of smell there.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cleretic posted:

They either need to be playing BrooklynDad Defiant much more or much less. Either he needs side-hustles and interests that aren't milquetoast political takes, or he needs to be paid enough to put some goddamn effort into it.

Please, think of his BrooklynKids Defiant!

His stupid twitter profile picture makes me want to throw up a little bit each time I see it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm lucky enough I've never heard of Brooklyn dad before he questioned the integrity of phoebe bridges for smashing a guitar

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

That poo poo doesn't work with people like that. I had a classmate who said the book was "Allison in Wonderland." Not Alice. We had class in a school library, so I could literally turn around and find more than one copy of it. She refused to believe it, then said "And the movie is definitely Allison." And it was before I could just pull out a phone and google it to show her.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sunswipe posted:

This is usually a great way to calm angry irrational people down.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NickAdamsinUSA/status/1370928630621159424

He looks like Mitch McConnell.

Edit: This is coordinated!

https://twitter.com/ACTBrigitte/status/1370907542293975041

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Mar 14, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm lucky enough I've never heard of Brooklyn dad before he questioned the integrity of phoebe bridges for smashing a guitar

Oh wait, he's one of those fuckers.

I'm not saying those people are first against the wall when the revolution comes, because that list is getting a bit too long, but they're definitely in the first couple groups.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Inceltown posted:

It's spelled "selvish" now thanks to Tolkien.

He's spelt "Tolkn" now thanks to Twitter.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

when I think of the spitting image of health I think of an overweight old guy who for some reason seems to stand leaning 10degrees forward

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

He looks like a strong breeze could finish him off.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Seems like they're going entirely based on his neck flaps, which seems like it could change moment to moment just from dehydration or something

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
God, he looks worse in those pictures then anytime he was president, with the exception of how much larger then Biden he looked in that debate screen shot.

That said he does look much skinnier, but sudden weightloss is bad for other reasons.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AphexTwin/status/1370911429298126848

I really REALLY loving hate this NFT bullshit! gently caress sake!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Manuel Calavera posted:

I completely agree, but I can't fault artists selling a gif or whatever to morons for a large amount of money.

Though it should be banned because of the environmental implications alone.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Ratjaculation posted:

when I think of the spitting image of health I think of an overweight old guy who for some reason seems to stand leaning 10degrees forward

I wonder if he's been coached to stand like that to try and make him look less fat. Don't ask the trumps have problems standing like normal people?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roblo posted:

I completely agree, but I can't fault artists selling a gif or whatever to morons for a large amount of money.

Though it should be banned because of the environmental implications alone.
you can, because the "environmental implications" come directly from somebody, say, Waxen Pith, generating one, requiring the hashing that creates said emissions. i can guarantee you Wet Tip Hen Ax did not need to generate this NFT out of some pressing need to pay bills or buy food.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
NFTs were created to combat the narrative that individual choices don’t matter when 100 companies create 70% of world’s emissions

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stunt_enby posted:

you can, because the "environmental implications" come directly from somebody, say, Waxen Pith, generating one, requiring the hashing that creates said emissions. i can guarantee you Wet Tip Hen Ax did not need to generate this NFT out of some pressing need to pay bills or buy food.

Very true. I hadn't really considered your last point

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Data Graham posted:

I grew up surrounded by these people and it has always driven me insane

When I visited Alaska and rode the tour bus in to Denali (where the biggest draw is the wildlife because the mountain is seldom visible), we didn't see many caribou, and this one old guy next to me kept loudly griping that the caribou were all gone because there were too many "woofs" and they needed to round up and kill all the "woofs"
yikes

Running a D&D campaign one of the players is a Druid and has a pair of dire wolves as companions because of things that happened. He'll often magically summon eight otherwise regular wolves during combat -- we call the summoned ones "woofs" because it's funny and also keeps them distinct. I'd just by default assume that anyone calling wolves "woofs" was just loving around until I found out otherwise.

Skwirl posted:

Tolkien invented the word "dwarves." "Dwarf" both as a mythological creature and a term for humans of smaller stature existed previously, but it was always pluralized as "dwarfs" before Tolkien.
He didn't invent "dwarves", but it was certainly less common than "dwarfs" outside of translations of Norse mythology/German.

This is from 1828, for instance

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I had a speech impediment when I was a kid that made me pronounce it as woof and woofs. As an adult I have to concentrate when I say it to get it right and it still comes out a bit odd.

The real weirdos are the ones who pronounce crayon as crown, or stereo as steer-e-o.

E: one that got me recently was hearing someone say feign as "feen", but apparently that's okay for American English? I'm American but I'd only ever heard it as fayn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Midnight Voyager posted:

That poo poo doesn't work with people like that. I had a classmate who said the book was "Allison in Wonderland." Not Alice. We had class in a school library, so I could literally turn around and find more than one copy of it. She refused to believe it, then said "And the movie is definitely Allison." And it was before I could just pull out a phone and google it to show her.

I once found a top loading dryer for sale and she threw a full can of four loko at me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Len posted:

I once found a top loading dryer for sale and she threw a full can of four loko at me.

That's a net win for you, my friend.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Manuel Calavera posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AphexTwin/status/1370915003117797376
Offsetting the current ongoing carbon cost of the etherium network would consume the entire annual carbon capture of a freshly planted forest the literally size of Puerto Rico, or an existing forest 1/3 that size. The cost of this single NFT is already up to one year's growth of 10 10-year-old hardwoods.

So good luck with that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

The real weirdos are the ones who pronounce crayon as crown

This is just regional.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Drawlin a pichur

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

warsh

I dunno what an nft is, but aphex twin has never thought very hard about the poo poo he says publicly

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand I wouldn't be totally surprised if he ran a cryptocurrency scam and got away with it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hawowanlawow posted:

warsh

I dunno what an nft is, but aphex twin has never thought very hard about the poo poo he says publicly

Honestly I don't entirely understand it either but essentially it's selling a "unique" coded digital thing that's marked as unique using blockchain. It's basically baseball cards but dumber because selling/buying one uses as much energy as a family will use in a year or maybe a decade and unlike baseball cards you can't even burn them for fuel.

Also the thing being sold isn't even necessarily any different than anything else other than being attached to this unique blockchain thing, so like it can just literally be hello.jpg or tribute.avi or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

hawowanlawow posted:

warsh

warsh is such a weird regionalism, my dad said it but his family wasn't from anywhere it's common.