Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
move along home does the first contact stuff better than almost any other time in trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

All that being said they do start getting better at it in season 2

I liked it at first. But it's just a constant whiplash of i love you man/I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

I watched this high as balls and had a great time

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DS9's writer's room posted:

We wrote this high as balls and had a great time

e: third shap

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

I liked it at first. But it's just a constant whiplash of i love you man/I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

Again; Go look up the actual episode order and not the Amazon order.

If you really want to see a show where the backstabbing gets stupid watch Defiance. Hoo-boy does that show love everyone sticking knives in everyone else's backs. Even when it fucks over everyone collectively and does nothing to benefit them personally.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lady Militant posted:

when voyager is your favorite star trek series :smith:

Voyager sucks people in because Mulgrew is incredibly watchable and charismatic as Captain, I think. And of course there's the Doctor as well, but he wasn't leading things. I honestly think it it was almost entirely Mulgrew's sheer force of personality that managed to keep it as popular as it is despite the writing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Defiance was too good to last.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Let's talk about Enterprise and Acquisition

The episode opens with four Ferengi strange round-eared aliens not unlike the Ferengi Enterprise-D canonically makes first-contact with excitedly talk in their own language while their ship approaches a seemingly-disabled and drifting Enterprise. Don't worry though, these aren't TNG's serious and supposedly-dangerous Ferengi though; They're well and truly DS9 Ferengi. Played by Clint Howard, Ethan Phillips and Jeffrey Coombs. This episode is dumb as gently caress and it knows it :allears:.

Everyone on Enterprise is out cold and slumped over, while a couple of the Ferengi mysterious aliens go shopping through the ship in gas masks to poke around and see what's to be found in their prize. And be very tantalized by pointy Vulcan ears when they find T'Pol. They disable a device in Engineering that seems to have knocked everyone out before taking off their masks, and raise some eyebrows about Enterprise's air supply if a single device can get through air filters and what should be independently-pressurized sections on a spaceship. Not everyone's out cold though; Trip's sitting in Decon in his underwear and getting real annoyed at how long he's been made to wait. Nobody answers when he gets ornery at the intercom because he's been in there an hour now instead of 20 minutes, so he shorts the doors and slips on out to find everyone's taking very sudden naps.

Medbay's much the same when Trip goes in search of Dr. Phlox, just in time to hide and watch the Ferengi invaders turn up to take everything that's not nailed down. Including two of them carrying about a loving torpedo on a cart in the corridor :stare:. While Trip's hiding, the Ferengi aliens proceed to take anything they perceive might be of value. Clothing, food, Enterprise's brass dedication plate, and of course Porthos. The female crew are also unceremoniously dragged to the cargo bay for a future as slaves, while Archer gets woken up so the Ferengi interlopers can learn where the real prize is; The Ship's Vault! Riches! Jewels! Gold-pressed Latinum! Archer tries to explain they're a ship of exploration and there's no such thing, but the Ferengi attackers aren't having any of it. They've gotta keep their valuables somewhere after all, so hand'em over! And who they are is... unimportant. It's only when they bring up the female crew going to the slave markets that Archer wises up and offers to trade; He'll give them half the gold bars in their Vault if he can have the other half. Archer tries to argue down to 35% for himself, but they've decided they'll go find the vault themselves while Archer gets to load their booty onto their ship under the supervision of Krem. Krem is not a smart cookie.

Archer gets the lowdown on the Ferengi visitors, learning about their profit-driven society and the Rules of Acquisition while loading up their tiny little ship with their spoils, getting an opportunity to speak to Trip and tells him to go find the hypospray they woke Archer with. It's in the launch bay along with the female crewmembers, and Trip's able to wake T'Pol with the sole dose still in it. Just in time for Krem to come bumbling in and fawn over a T'Pol who now has to feign unconsciousness before Archer manages to get him out the door again. It's the three of them against four incompetent Ferengi aliens, and they've already cleaned out the weapon lockers, so the only option is separate them and take them down one-by-one in a series of tactical stealth strikes... hmm? What? *checks notes* Oh right, sorry, this is a comedy episode.

Trip sets up a security look on an innocuous room for later, while T'Pol sews a few seeds of doubt among the group by moving their belongings about to cause an argument. There's no way they'd steal from eachother, at least until T'Pol remotely triggers a scanner in one of their bags to cause a squabble. They never do find the third scanner they're arguing over that T'Pol kept for herself though :allears:. Trip's own efforts unfortunately lead him right into the Ferengi aliens and a dose of a good-old fashioned of an energy whip. Archer's meanwhile trying to convince Krem to turn on his fellow crew so they stop treating him like poo poo, when the others drag in Trip and are real worried others are going to start waking up soon. Trip manages to get across to Archer that there's a plan in play, offering to tell the Ferengi aliens where the Vault is so long as they spare his "wife" Hoshi. Archer and Trip have a fantastic little feigned argument over how many bars of gold Hoshi is supposedly worth to Trip, and I'm annoyed I can't find a clip of it just to show Scott Bacula clearly having a lot of fun the scene. ("Okay; fifteen!" *PUNCH*)

Trip leads them on a long meandering route through the ship that most certainly isn't going in circles to buy time, while T'Pol helps Archer take out Krem and get their hands on a few phase-pistols. Just in time for Trip to finally lead the Ferengi captors to the "vault" behind the sealed door and get them stunned by T'Pol. They revive the crew and supervise the Ferengi aliens unloading their stolen goods back onto Enterprise, along with a threat that if they ever come within a lightyear of Earth or Vulcan they'll regret it.

Wonder if we'll ever see this mysteriously-unnamed capitalistic species again... :thunk:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Ferengi episodes rule. I love them and their canonically huge prongs

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ghostlight posted:

Defiance was too good to last.

I loving *love* me some Defiance

Nothing more to add, just that

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Drewsky posted:

About to wrap up my first watch of TNG, had never watched any Star Trek before this.

What series should I start next?

I'd make a case for TOS because there's gonna be a lot of referential stuff in later series. It's only 79 episodes in total, and there are quite a few that you can skip without worry since it was 100% episodic back then.

If 60's Sci-Fi isn't your thing (which I get), I would suggest you watch at least these episodes as they're pretty critical to a lot of the Star Trek lore or just outright fantastic episodes.

The Menagerie
Balance of Terror
Arena
Space Seed
The Devil In The Dark
The City on the Edge of Forever
Amok Time
Mirror, Mirror
The Doomsday Machine
The Trouble with Tribbles
Journey to Babel
The Enterprise Incident
The Tholian Web

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 14, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infidel Castro posted:

I'd make a case for TOS because there's gonna be a lot of referential stuff in later series. It's only 79 episodes in total, and there are quite a few that you can skip without worry since it was 100% episodic back then.

If 60's Sci-Fi isn't your thing (which I get), I would suggest you watch at least these episodes as they're pretty critical to a lot of the Star Trek lore or just outright fantastic episodes.

The Menagerie
Balance of Terror
Arena
Space Seed
The Devil In The Dark
The City on the Edge of Forever
Amok Time
Mirror, Mirror
The Doomsday Machine
The Trouble with Tribbles
Journey to Babel
The Enterprise Incident
The Tholian Web

The Cage is quite relevant now due to Discovery season 2 and Strange New Worlds.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cage is quite relevant now due to Discovery season 2 and Strange New Worlds.

The Menagerie recycled a lot of The Cage, so it's a bit redundant to watch both if you're only going through critical episodes.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 14, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infidel Castro posted:

The Menagerie recycled a lot of The Cage, so it's a bit redundant to watch both if you're only going through critical episodes.

Oh poo poo you're right, for some reason I got them mixed in my head as separate things :doh:.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

MrTargetPractice posted:

I would go against other people in this thread and suggest you watch some of the shittier Treks first. That way you have DS9 to look forward to. It's first season goes down a lot better if you've just given up on Voyager after watching the dumb salamander regression sex episode for instance.

Actually it was salamander PROGRESSION sex :eng101:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

If Threshold was anyway scientifically accurate they'd have evolved into crabs instead. :yeeclaw:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let's talk about Enterprise and Acquisition

The episode opens with four Ferengi strange round-eared aliens not unlike the Ferengi Enterprise-D canonically makes first-contact with excitedly talk in their own language while their ship approaches a seemingly-disabled and drifting Enterprise. Don't worry though, these aren't TNG's serious and supposedly-dangerous Ferengi though; They're well and truly DS9 Ferengi. Played by Clint Howard, Ethan Phillips and Jeffrey Coombs. This episode is dumb as gently caress and it knows it :allears:.

Everyone on Enterprise is out cold and slumped over, while a couple of the Ferengi mysterious aliens go shopping through the ship in gas masks to poke around and see what's to be found in their prize. And be very tantalized by pointy Vulcan ears when they find T'Pol. They disable a device in Engineering that seems to have knocked everyone out before taking off their masks, and raise some eyebrows about Enterprise's air supply if a single device can get through air filters and what should be independently-pressurized sections on a spaceship. Not everyone's out cold though; Trip's sitting in Decon in his underwear and getting real annoyed at how long he's been made to wait. Nobody answers when he gets ornery at the intercom because he's been in there an hour now instead of 20 minutes, so he shorts the doors and slips on out to find everyone's taking very sudden naps.

Medbay's much the same when Trip goes in search of Dr. Phlox, just in time to hide and watch the Ferengi invaders turn up to take everything that's not nailed down. Including two of them carrying about a loving torpedo on a cart in the corridor :stare:. While Trip's hiding, the Ferengi aliens proceed to take anything they perceive might be of value. Clothing, food, Enterprise's brass dedication plate, and of course Porthos. The female crew are also unceremoniously dragged to the cargo bay for a future as slaves, while Archer gets woken up so the Ferengi interlopers can learn where the real prize is; The Ship's Vault! Riches! Jewels! Gold-pressed Latinum! Archer tries to explain they're a ship of exploration and there's no such thing, but the Ferengi attackers aren't having any of it. They've gotta keep their valuables somewhere after all, so hand'em over! And who they are is... unimportant. It's only when they bring up the female crew going to the slave markets that Archer wises up and offers to trade; He'll give them half the gold bars in their Vault if he can have the other half. Archer tries to argue down to 35% for himself, but they've decided they'll go find the vault themselves while Archer gets to load their booty onto their ship under the supervision of Krem. Krem is not a smart cookie.

Archer gets the lowdown on the Ferengi visitors, learning about their profit-driven society and the Rules of Acquisition while loading up their tiny little ship with their spoils, getting an opportunity to speak to Trip and tells him to go find the hypospray they woke Archer with. It's in the launch bay along with the female crewmembers, and Trip's able to wake T'Pol with the sole dose still in it. Just in time for Krem to come bumbling in and fawn over a T'Pol who now has to feign unconsciousness before Archer manages to get him out the door again. It's the three of them against four incompetent Ferengi aliens, and they've already cleaned out the weapon lockers, so the only option is separate them and take them down one-by-one in a series of tactical stealth strikes... hmm? What? *checks notes* Oh right, sorry, this is a comedy episode.

Trip sets up a security look on an innocuous room for later, while T'Pol sews a few seeds of doubt among the group by moving their belongings about to cause an argument. There's no way they'd steal from eachother, at least until T'Pol remotely triggers a scanner in one of their bags to cause a squabble. They never do find the third scanner they're arguing over that T'Pol kept for herself though :allears:. Trip's own efforts unfortunately lead him right into the Ferengi aliens and a dose of a good-old fashioned of an energy whip. Archer's meanwhile trying to convince Krem to turn on his fellow crew so they stop treating him like poo poo, when the others drag in Trip and are real worried others are going to start waking up soon. Trip manages to get across to Archer that there's a plan in play, offering to tell the Ferengi aliens where the Vault is so long as they spare his "wife" Hoshi. Archer and Trip have a fantastic little feigned argument over how many bars of gold Hoshi is supposedly worth to Trip, and I'm annoyed I can't find a clip of it just to show Scott Bacula clearly having a lot of fun the scene. ("Okay; fifteen!" *PUNCH*)

Trip leads them on a long meandering route through the ship that most certainly isn't going in circles to buy time, while T'Pol helps Archer take out Krem and get their hands on a few phase-pistols. Just in time for Trip to finally lead the Ferengi captors to the "vault" behind the sealed door and get them stunned by T'Pol. They revive the crew and supervise the Ferengi aliens unloading their stolen goods back onto Enterprise, along with a threat that if they ever come within a lightyear of Earth or Vulcan they'll regret it.

Wonder if we'll ever see this mysteriously-unnamed capitalistic species again... :thunk:

Loved that they lingered a second on Clint Howard's fancy socks as he's stealing a pair of boots. Apparently some ferengi are dandies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eighties ZomCom posted:

If Threshold was anyway scientifically accurate they'd have evolved into crabs instead. :yeeclaw:
Voyager would have been instantly redeemed.

e: Jules Verne once again proving himself the superior futurist

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 14, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pondex posted:

Loved that they lingered a second on Clint Howard's fancy socks as he's stealing a pair of boots. Apparently some ferengi are dandies.

FTFY

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Nah, I would say the typical ferengi is more bougie than dandy.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

This looks like something Pick would draw

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

why did Dr. Crusher get all dressed and sexy for that after her and Picard had their brain links removed if she was just going to shut him down like that??? I seriously yelled at my TV out loud at that moment.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Say whatever about Star Trek Nemesis but the deleted scenes definitely give off the impression Picard and Crusher have been no-strings boinking so it gets a couple points from me just for that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they were loving all along during those breakfast encounters, he just was trying to make it serious

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Apropos of not much, here's a vid from Star Trek IV (4) except it uses music from Star Trek III (3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tdgD-LQ2hc.

I reckon if there's anybody in the world that might find such a thing interesting they might be found in this thread, but who can say!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Say whatever about Star Trek Nemesis but the deleted scenes definitely give off the impression Picard and Crusher have been no-strings boinking so it gets a couple points from me just for that.

Honestly Nemesis has the bones of a good movie, but the script needed another pass by a better writer, and Paramount should have just let Frakes take the helm again instead of Baird hate-directing the thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

Honestly Nemesis has the bones of a good movie, but the script needed another pass by a better writer, and Paramount should have just let Frakes take the helm again instead of Baird hate-directing the thing.
It's funny to me that Nemesis was basically the 'gift' to Baird after he had worked on other movies for the studio. Except that he literally knew nothing about Star Trek and repeatedly mispronounced character names while working on it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lady Militant posted:

when voyager is your favorite star trek series :smith:

The strength of Voyager today is that you can throw on a random episode and enjoy some campy late 90's television or maybe even a great episode and you don't have to worry about knowing where you are in a seven season long plot arc. When DS9 was on the air I gave up trying to follow it because characters would reference things I had missed that were critical to the story. I didn't have a clue about the Dominion until years later.

That said, The Animated Series is the best Trek. Big Spock is canon. :colbert:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The gently caress is Big Spock I only recognize bigger Luke

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Whenever I'm reminded of Star Trek: The Animated Series absolutely the first thing that comes to mind, without fail, is this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUhozxl5sD4&t=389s

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tiberius Christ posted:

The gently caress is Big Spock I only recognize bigger Luke

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Big Spock energy

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i want to sleep in big spock's pocket

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bigger Luke < Big Spock < Wider Ben

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked Crusher and Picard, both Stewart and Gates played them as mature adults by the later seasons vs Naked Now. I also almost like the never quite happened romance due to the complicated history and that it wasn’t played like some dumb teen romance.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1371113892596776966?s=19

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Even as a 8 year old kid watching that I thought it was dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nitrousoxide posted:

Even as a 8 year old kid watching that I thought it was dumb as hell.

8yo you had bad taste