Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RustyKnight posted:

rpgs: rdr2, witcher 3,.
elite dangerous if you want to fly spaceships
death stranding is a good open world game that's mainly concerned on walking
metal gear solid V (although it's missing the final chapter it's still fun)

few of my favorite open world games from top of my head

I’m quite enjoying my return to elite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
illbleed is still the funniest game

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

outer worlds was genuinely terrible

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

outer worlds was genuinely terrible

nah the problem is it's about as exciting as a plain saltine

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it's been fine? pretty forgettable though. just a bunch of fetch quests and ludicrously overpowered weapons. i can't imagine paying the $70 or whatever this game is at full price i mean lordy

they clearly put a poo poo ton of work into the game and forgot to write an interesting story

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

does it have psychic powers and stuff like mass effect or is it just various guns/lasers/melee weapons?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Achmed Jones posted:

does it have psychic powers and stuff like mass effect or is it just various guns/lasers/melee weapons?

the latter though for flavour you can find "science weapons", each usually unique, that do weird stuff. shrink ray, levitate gun, staff that sucks enemies toward you, etc.

edit: plus it runs great on my old-rear end pc with its 2012ish cpu and r9 nano (which i got on sale and imho always punched above its weight)

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

mediaphage posted:

it's been fine? pretty forgettable though. just a bunch of fetch quests and ludicrously overpowered weapons. i can't imagine paying the $70 or whatever this game is at full price i mean lordy

they clearly put a poo poo ton of work into the game and forgot to write an interesting story

yeah this is my exeperiance too. i played it recently, it was bland but running around and shooting was alright. though if i had to pay anything for it it would have been worse. it was free on that microsoft games pass, and my current 1 year pass of that was free on top of it.

speaking of, i should play something else off the game pass thing while i have it, idk what though

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Should I buy DE on PS4 or on mac? would the gameplay be fine on a console?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it's a lot of reading, I'd probably go for mac

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pardot posted:

yeah this is my exeperiance too. i played it recently, it was bland but running around and shooting was alright. though if i had to pay anything for it it would have been worse. it was free on that microsoft games pass, and my current 1 year pass of that was free on top of it.

speaking of, i should play something else off the game pass thing while i have it, idk what though

prey or dishonored

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

outer wilds

subnautica

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

control

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the point is, there are a literal tonne of titles on game pass

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
microsoft just closed on zenimax so they're gonna drop a bunch of id and bethesda poo poo on there soon

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Fool posted:

outer wilds

subnautica

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Shaggar posted:

microsoft just closed on zenimax so they're gonna drop a bunch of id and bethesda poo poo on there soon

it's already there

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shaggar posted:

it’s alrea-

Cat Face Joe posted:

it's already there

gently caress you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
dang. so much good poo poo in the game pass

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only thing that sucks about game pass is you cant modify the game files, so modding or just config tweaks in some games are impossible

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

The Fool posted:

gently caress you

hades is good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the only thing that sucks about game pass is you cant modify the game files, so modding or just config tweaks in some games are impossible
lmfao if future bethesda games are unmoddable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the core of it is that windows store apps are protected from file modification, but it looks like they're enabling it for certain games by adding symlinked folders or something where you can stick your mods so they game can find them. for most mods that probably works, but for things like config file editing or intro video deleting its probably not gonna help.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once again piracy is still the best way to go

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
although gently caress downloading 100gb of .iso to unpack
to a 100gb folder to install 120gb of game and then you can delete the folder but if you delete the iso you can’t share it for raysh

game piracy has been killed

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pardot posted:

carrion is a couple hours long and it's worth it just to see the main characters movement animation

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

echinopsis posted:

although gently caress downloading 100gb of .iso to unpack
to a 100gb folder to install 120gb of game and then you can delete the folder but if you delete the iso you can’t share it for raysh

game piracy has been killed

Home copying is killing the game industry. We left this disk blank so you can help

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shaggar posted:

loving lol

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

lmfao if future bethesda games are unmoddable

i dunno, considering they built modding into the console versions of fallout 4 it seems unlikely. it’s 100% possible to allow mods on pc game pass games.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the science weapons sound fun, thanks for the info! idk if ill ever actually have time for a game like outer worlds but it sounds like id enjoy it. realistically i'll probably never get to it due to opportunity cost, though, unless it's both a great pick-up-and-play game and the switch version runs well (i am skeptical about both)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

i dunno, considering they built modding into the console versions of fallout 4 it seems unlikely. it’s 100% possible to allow mods on pc game pass games.

the problem is PC mods can do way more poo poo to the game files than the console mods and unless the windows store versions start letting you modify all the files rather than just adding new files then it really limits what you can do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

the science weapons sound fun, thanks for the info! idk if ill ever actually have time for a game like outer worlds but it sounds like id enjoy it. realistically i'll probably never get to it due to opportunity cost, though, unless it's both a great pick-up-and-play game and the switch version runs well (i am skeptical about both)

outer worlds is boring as hell and i couldnt finish it. i got it for $1 on xbox game pass and i dont think it was worth it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I liked outer worlds enough to finish it but it was pretty mediocre compared to F:NV. I did like the science weapons though and the story gimmick where your created character was yanked from a stasis pod was kind of fun

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think i got near the end of the game cause i was gonna do some big fight but i passed a speech check that made all the bad guys neutral to me. All the allies i had made in the game still showed up and started attacking them so im kind of walking around this huge area where this massive fight is going on but nobody wants to attack me.

then after climbing a bunch of ladders the game crashed and i just gave up on it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/tonysopranocry/status/1369769930992746497?s=21

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the problem is PC mods can do way more poo poo to the game files than the console mods and unless the windows store versions start letting you modify all the files rather than just adding new files then it really limits what you can do.
fs2020 on pc via game pass lets you mod existing files, you just... go to the folder the game installed the planes to and edit what you want, etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

except not if you have the premium edition. then the extra planes are all encrypted. lmao

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shaggar posted:

yeah, the good Elder Scrolls mods require DLL injection to extend the game engine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/mSperoni/status/1371167075415302144?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Man, subnautica is really good. I remember thinking the cyclops seems at least a little bigger than the seamoth, I'll just get that and call it quits for this game.

That was 10 hours of game time ago.