Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't know if there's a way beyond rebooting it, but yeah, my toddlers like to play with ours as well and constantly un"pause" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
No way to get rid of the paused song, but maybe try this option in accessibility settings:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wooger posted:

No way to get rid of the paused song, but maybe try this option in accessibility settings:

Thanks, trying that. Now a cat will have to boop for 2 seconds.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

goddamn it Apple make my Mini boop proof

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've had a mini for a couple of months now. I bought it with the intent for it to be the homekit host but I really had a surprisingly great time with Apple Music that I bought a subscription. Between having any song I randomly remember right there and that some of the radio shows are really good (I'm digging Stombo's show and playlist) AND it also works in my car through car play this has been a surprisingly positive experience for listening to music. Totally blowing sat & terrestrial radio out of the water.

I want to get several more mini's now. At least home office, sun room and basement. If there were weather proof ones (are there?) I would probably mount one on the deck in the backyard for summer.

My 2018 LG TV just updated to be air play/home kit compatible so that's cool too. I did the play sync'd on the mini and TV trick which was fun. Now I want Apple to refresh the big homepod so I can justify buying two for the living room to use as TV speakers.

My only complaints so far are that 'tossing' the song playing over to the mini from my phone doesn't always work so that I have to go select in the airplay menu and that the system seems to get confused over where in a play list/pod cast we were and starting over if I switch devices, but only sometimes.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Now I get what you guys were talking about with the whole voice volume.
I was falling asleep on the couch last night, so I told Siri to turn off all the lights, and she goes "OK, ON IT"
Read the room Siri, you almost woke up my wife. It'd be nice if it was close to my bedtime, it just chimes nicely to know that it heard me instead.

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 9, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah really the best option would be to have siri shut up completely unless it needs to ask you a question. Telling it to turn off the lights does not require an affirmation! Just do it!!

But even with questions, it should know hm it is 9pm, the room is very quiet, perhaps I should not bellow at 75% max volume.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or have a “okay” and a “not okay” generic response that’s just a little chime, of giving the user feedback is that important.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have the exact same problem, ultra loud Siri responses at night.

Curiously there’s silence when I trigger an automation: “good night” kills all the lights.

But any actual Siri command is a nightmare.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't have any problems with Siri talking too loud, so I'm going to share a few things that I might be doing differently. (I have a 2.5 month old daughter, so I'm glad that it's silent for me.)

1. If I listen to music on the HomePod, I keep it quiet, around 10-20% volume. I don't know if that ties into the volume Siri is at or not. (I know Kodi did, which drove me crazy. If I listen to Airplay music on Kodi, then the video I watched after would match that volume.) I saw that someone complained that they would tell Siri to change their volume, and then it would change later, so maybe it's tied into music audio volume as well?

2. Since I have a new baby, I will speak to it like my child is asleep and I don't want to wake her. So barely above a whisper.

3. Usually when I tell it to turn off lights, I only issue commands for the room I am in. So maybe it isn't responding as I'm in the room that will have the light turn off, so it doesn't feel compelled to give me feedback? I haven't tried to turn off all the lights in the house from a HomePod yet, but maybe that gives feedback so you know all the lights in the house are going out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think mine says "on it" for goodnight, although I wonder if it changed recently, can’t really remember the last few nights. My night script has a few more things than just turning off the lights so that might have to do with whatever response I get.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah mine hasn’t said anything the last couple of times so perhaps it has been updated behind the scenes? Much improved. I have jinxed myself and I will get the full volume “ON IT” tonight I’m sure

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Ding dong the HomePod is dead:

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/12/apple-discontinues-original-homepod-will-focus-on-mini/

quote:

HomePod mini has been a hit since its debut last fall, offering customers amazing sound, an intelligent assistant, and smart home control all for just $99. We are focusing our efforts on HomePod mini. We are discontinuing the original HomePod, it will continue to be available while supplies last through the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Stores, and Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple will provide HomePod customers with software updates and service and support through Apple Care.
So no more big HomePods ever, or something like $199 HomePod Max down the line?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Very glad I have a normal one already. I can't imagine having one of the smaller ones in a larger room.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s probably the last nail in a “smart speaker” more expensive than $100.

Maybe $150 could be a high end but most people aren’t looking to buy a super high end smart sound speaker that only does audio.

Even mine at $200 was a bit of a stretch. I love it but it certainly wasn’t worth $350.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time to desperately find a regular HomePod for $100-150 as they clear stock.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I kind of get it, but they need to have a model with decent sound, or at least a useful output to plug in other speakers for the smart speaker to be worthwhile at all for me as a whole house thing.

They’re just abandoning everything to Sonos if this is real.

I’d never bother with HomePod mini for a living room, kitchen diner etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah for real. I’d get another at that price. I love my HomePod

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah, I'll probably pick up another one or two if they drop real low like that. It'd be nice to have a stereo pair, plus better support on the lower floor.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Arcsech posted:

Yeah, I'll probably pick up another one or two if they drop real low like that. It'd be nice to have a stereo pair, plus better support on the lower floor.

I'd love to pick up a pair to replace my soundbar since I'm basically Apple TV only at this point, but not for 600+.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want that price very bad.

I think it might be because of the semiconductor shortage to gently caress with their profit margins so they're gonna pull back on poo poo that isn't phones and high-margin things. I got my HomePods for $200 each and I thought that was an excellent price, and scrolling through ebay makes me realize they were VERY good deals.

I saw a homepod with a bullet hole on ebay for $180.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'd happily shift away from the sonos speakers I have to homepod, the sonos app and integration to playing music is so clunky in comparison to the homepod.

If only Siri wasn't so brain damaged. :sigh:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
RIP big guy, I thought you were good.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

HomePod MAX here we come!!!!

But I’d get four more of the OG at $200.

My guess is its both price point and finally retiring the A8 or whatever is inside it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I have three OG Homepods. Two of them I bought at $200 each for hooking up to my MacBook desk setup for stereo. I didn't think I would have to check to make sure that MacOS could do such a blatantly obvious thing before purchasing them. It can't.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ultimate Mango posted:

My guess is its both price point and finally retiring the A8 or whatever is inside it.

I can cope with the model being retired, but the mini being all there is going forward has got to be a mistake.

Literally all they have over the other tubes is sound quality (well maybe privacy too). And they have no flexibility in terms of non apple sources, external outputs etc.

It was so obvious to everyone on launch that they’d gone for the wrong price point (and should’ve launched the mini instead tbh). But they have to stay focussed on premium sound to have a hope - it’s not like they’re gonna fix Siri.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

jabro posted:

I have three OG Homepods. Two of them I bought at $200 each for hooking up to my MacBook desk setup for stereo. I didn't think I would have to check to make sure that MacOS could do such a blatantly obvious thing before purchasing them. It can't.

Macs can, but you have to do stupid software tricks to get Homepods to work; I have a Mini hooked up to the very rMBP I'm typing on via AirParrot.

There's another method that involves no extra software other than Big Sur and Audio MIDI setup, but I find it doesn't always work 100%.

It's still kind of annoying because Airplay (or the quasi-Airplay server you need to run to get the HomePod connected) introduces something like a 1.5 - 2.0 second delay that you have to correct for; I use Movist Pro to play a lot of stuff and it has an audio push/pull feature that works great for this.

Strangely, I can play YouTube videos in Safari straight to my HomePod Mini and the audio will be synced pretty well without making any adjustments..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hey, mods?

Title change? In light of the kindler gentler narrative that Jeffrey of YOSPOS seems to be promulgating?

'Fanboys' has a negative connotation these days and it sounds like someone with an anti-Apple grudge created it.

ADTRW went from 'animation designed to replace women' to 'Animation Delivers Thorough Rambunctious Wholesomeness' so give us a break, yeah?

Some ideas:

Apple HomePod - Siri for only $99

Apple HomePod - Ding dong the HomePod is dead

Apple HomePod - HomeKit Hijinks

I'm sure there are others with even better ideas..

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Apple HomePod - I'll trade you this ring for one more full-size in space grey, come on man, please!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apple HomePod - Hey Siri, please work

Binary Badger posted:

It's still kind of annoying because Airplay (or the quasi-Airplay server you need to run to get the HomePod connected) introduces something like a 1.5 - 2.0 second delay that you have to correct for; I use Movist Pro to play a lot of stuff and it has an audio push/pull feature that works great for this.

Strangely, I can play YouTube videos in Safari straight to my HomePod Mini and the audio will be synced pretty well without making any adjustments..
Yeah the delay is a killer for anything other than media playback. I assume whatever stuff that uses the standard media API knows how to compensate for the delay like videos in Safari, you can see it in action when you play/pause or skip around. Chrome doesn’t, or at least it didn’t last I tried with YouTube TV a while back.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It seems like a strategic mistake not to have a 'home audio environment' beyond one device when iTunes, Apple Music and Apple TV are big parts of their ecosystem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Apple HomePod - Hey Siri, please work

Yeah the delay is a killer for anything other than media playback. I assume whatever stuff that uses the standard media API knows how to compensate for the delay like videos in Safari, you can see it in action when you play/pause or skip around. Chrome doesn’t, or at least it didn’t last I tried with YouTube TV a while back.

The big thing is that Apple will not let a Mac use the HomePod / Mini as a default audio output (without resorting to the tricks I mentioned earlier.)

iTunes / Apple Music / AppleTV (app) will actually show the HomePod / Mini as an output device and allow audio from media to play, but poo poo like system beeps or third party apps? Nuh-uh.

Somehow I feel it's part of Apple's longtime deals with the music/media industry that resulted in this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there anyway to turn off the doorbell notification sound on a specific Mini? I have a Mini in my toddlers' room for white noise while they sleep, and I'd rather not get the overly-loud SOMEONE IS AT THE DOOR when someone rings my doorbell while they're napping or sleeping.

e: Oh hey, there's a "Chime on HomePod" option :v:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 15, 2021

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Binary Badger posted:

The big thing is that Apple will not let a Mac use the HomePod / Mini as a default audio output (without resorting to the tricks I mentioned earlier.)

iTunes / Apple Music / AppleTV (app) will actually show the HomePod / Mini as an output device and allow audio from media to play, but poo poo like system beeps or third party apps? Nuh-uh.

Somehow I feel it's part of Apple's longtime deals with the music/media industry that resulted in this.

I can choose my HomePod on my MacBook right now for audio with no tricks. The issue is it only allows me to use one HomePod and not two for stereo. iOS and my AppleTV allow this.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I bought a Homepod Mini. Where is it getting my music from when I tell it to shuffle all music? I don't have Apple Music, and it will play mp3s that aren't on my phone but are on my desktop. But even when the desktop is off.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

jabro posted:

I can choose my HomePod on my MacBook right now for audio with no tricks. The issue is it only allows me to use one HomePod and not two for stereo. iOS and my AppleTV allow this.

You have Big Sur? Is that audio that any app can use and outputs to?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Binary Badger posted:

You have Big Sur? Is that audio that any app can use and outputs to?

Latest version of Big Sur. If I had all three on there I would only be able to select one individual HomePod and not designate two HomePods for stereo like in iOS. I haven't used it for audio playback in awhile but just checked and Youtube played in sync audio with its video.

Edit: just tried a video game and it was delayed a little. The HomePod is about 30 feet from me so not sure if it's from the distance or it always happen. Youtube in Safari was synced up correctly.

jabro fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 15, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

I can use it as a regular output on my Mac mini on Mojave. I’m guessing the issue is just some inherent latency in how it works...maybe anything outside of AAC streams going by a quick experiment on my phone.

I’m not sure AirPlay 2 is any different here, but when AirPlay first came out it encoded to Apple Lossless on the fly I think?

phosdex posted:

I bought a Homepod Mini. Where is it getting my music from when I tell it to shuffle all music? I don't have Apple Music, and it will play mp3s that aren't on my phone but are on my desktop. But even when the desktop is off.
Have you purchased music on iTunes before?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

japtor posted:

Have you purchased music on iTunes before?

Oh yeah, I'm dumb. It's playing stuff I bought on iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

phosdex posted:

Oh yeah, I'm dumb. It's playing stuff I bought on iTunes.

You can also still pay for iTunes Match so it stores a copy of your stuff in the cloud for playing anywhere. It’s pretty good.