Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I look forward to maximum amounts of cope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The guy who wrote that stupid polygon article wasn't a fan. Who would have thought!?!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Jimbot posted:

The guy who wrote that stupid polygon article wasn't a fan. Who would have thought!?!

https://twitter.com/jmrivera02/status/1371201406842077192

That sounds like high praise to me though

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The amount of things Snyder is incredible about continues to grow.

Soon we will have people claiming he is incredible at making movies, but also bad at making movies.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Like what's "profoundly boring"? How's it differ from regular boring? What isn't boring?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jimbot posted:

Like what's "profoundly boring"? How's it differ from regular boring? What isn't boring?

Using words like profoundly makes them appear to be an intellectual and professional. Gotta rep the blue checkmarks.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

That is literally the job of a director lol. So odd how people who poo poo on Snyder movies all praise him for the things a director does but then poo poo on him for like, the script or the acting.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
We'll all see if it's profoundly boring or not in a mere 83 hours!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, you like what you like but I don't think I'd put too much stock in someone who clearly doesn't give a poo poo about these films. He so obviously got the idea behind the Snyder cut movement wrong that it'd be considered journalistic malpractice if pop culture writing was any way meaningful. Like any quick search would bring up that this thing started not because they wanted things to stay the same and not allow new voices to come in and carry these characters forward but because it was famously and publicly tampered with and they wanted the original vision restored.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I can't lie I would too. I would be a crappy famous creator. If you asked me if a character was wearing spandex as a metaphor for the repression of the male form in media I'd be like "Yeah sure that sounds about right."

This reminds me of when Kevin Smith was doing press junkets for Clerks, and someone asked him if he filmed it in black and white so it would feel more like security camera footage. And Smith was like, “...yes.” When in reality he shot in black and white because it was cheaper at the time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

...what the gently caress does he think the job of a director is? That is one of the dumbest Snyder takes I’ve ever seen.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm looking forward to finding references to Josstice League to be inexplicable and cryptic. "Russian family? What the hell?"

Jimbot posted:

At this point I don't recognize "boring" as a criticism. Malick films can be accurately described as "boring", but to say so is a worthless comment.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jimbot posted:

Laffo, that Scott Mendelson jackoff is still at it, huh? Even his praise feels backhanded and forced.

"This cut is just an assembly cut with finished effects and it's basically the same as the theatrical cut but it's better."

That sounds accurate

quote:

At this point I don't recognize "boring" as a criticism. Malick films can be accurately described as "boring", but to say so is a worthless comment.

On the other hand, "boring" is the worst thing a piece of entertainment can be

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 14, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ZSJL assembly cut was almost 5 hours, so no, not really accurate.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

ZSJL assembly cut was almost 5 hours, so no, not really accurate.

I'd hope it's better, but if not, oh well

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I think even the most middle of the road or slightly negative reviews out so far make it clear that WBs decision will go down as historically misguided. Not a single one has said it is worse then Josstice League from what I've seen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
god, can you imagine

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I wish it was actually worse than Josstice League now because that would make it The Room level bad which is great.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

I think even the most middle of the road or slightly negative reviews out so far make it clear that WBs decision will go down as historically misguided. Not a single one has said it is worse then Josstice League from what I've seen.

Even the people that are primed to hate it can only muster backhanded compliments. A lot of reviewers seem to love it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Knowing nerd media folks I'm sure a bunch would like to say stuff like that, but josstice league is so unbelievably bad it would be a step too far, even for a fanatic

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea it’s an extremely low bar to clear. Josstice League is 1/3 over saturated footage from another director interspliced with 2/3rds footage filmed in a rush to build a different movie around that footage. There’s scenes that would look lovely for a tv show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Darko posted:

I wish it was actually worse than Josstice League now because that would make it The Room level bad which is great.
Neil Breen's Justice League

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Martman posted:

One can say all the revelations about Whedon coming to light have been a "Fateful Finding".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Martman posted:

A couple of his more recent films are basically superhero flics, but I don't think we're getting a "league" out of him unless he decides to have Super Neil team up with his evil twin, Other Super Neil.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont think anyone feels the need to defend the theatrical cut because's it's so obviously an unloved mutant. Whedon evidently didnt care much about finishing someone else's vision and it shows in the release cut when he's just recycling jokes & scenes from Last Movie That Worked.

Like, if the entire thing had been scrapped right down to concept & planning and it was thoroughly Whedon's movie, you'd probably see more fan bleedover interested in defending it, however that movie would turn out. As-is though? It's not Snyder's baby, it's not Whedon's baby, it's not WB's baby, it's a distasteful soup.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Oh it's WB's baby all right

The legacy they deserve

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Did anyone else catch Cyborg's disintegrated face rebuilding itself while Barry is running through time at about 2:01 in the new trailer?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still remember the 'Whedon is a humanist, Snyder is a fascist' take and it does feel like the Discourse is flailing like a headless snake with Joss being fully cancelled. There's no longer room for a coherent narrative painting Snyder as the bad guy, as much as there ever was.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was chatting with friends online again while playing dead by daylight and the Snyder Cut came up - the halo logo on the sword is making waves lol

That was pretty much the whole conversation, no one wanted to watch it because they didn't care about or didn't like the theatrical one and one thought that Snyder was a nazi, which I couldn't dissuade him of (yes I actually tried lol)

The one guy aside these are also the guys who kept quoting Zod while playing Halo and liked Moss but not as a Superman movie lol

E: oh this isn't the dome

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The new trailer looks really good and as someone that had no investment in the Snyderverse until going back and watching MoS and the BvS Ultimate Cut after the SC was announced to be a thing that was happening last year I am looking forward to watching this movie come the weekend

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

RBA Starblade posted:

I was chatting with friends online again while playing dead by daylight and the Snyder Cut came up - the halo logo on the sword is making waves lol

That was pretty much the whole conversation, no one wanted to watch it because they didn't care about or didn't like the theatrical one and one thought that Snyder was a nazi, which I couldn't dissuade him of (yes I actually tried lol)

The one guy aside these are also the guys who kept quoting Zod while playing Halo and liked Moss but not as a Superman movie lol

E: oh this isn't the dome

What are the cool Zod quotes

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zack Snyder is hardly my favorite director, but I have an overall favorable view of his oeuvre. He moves those pictures real nice. Even his missteps bring something unique and provocative to the conversation.

I never thought much of him, good or bad, until his anti-fandom really kicked into high gear around the release of "Man of Steel." That movie was just a delight to me, but apparently that was a fairly unpopular opinion. Lot of people were really mad about it, and more about its sequel, but whatever they were seeing, I saw it differently. All the invective seemed way out of proportion to his shortcomings as a filmmaker.

The funny thing is, it was only when I tried to figure out what all the fuss was about that I really started to gain a new appreciation for his work.

Anyway, that's my story. Looking forward to the new long cape flick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

elf help book posted:

I WILL FIND HIM

in regards to shooting the guy with the oddball lol

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

RBA Starblade posted:

I WILL FIND HIM

HERESY

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

RBA Starblade posted:

I WILL FIND HIM

lol Thank you

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

elf help book posted:

HERESY

I WILL FIND HIM

My Soul, that is WHAT YOU'VE TAKEN FROM ME

WHERE DID YOU TRAIN, ON A FARM?

You're a pack of fools, every last one of you!

Yes! And I'm arguing its merits with a ghost.

I never realized how much of his lines can be used to talk poo poo online

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

These lawmakers, with their ENDLESS DEBATES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

No matter how violent, every action I take is for the greater good of my people.

There’s only one way this ends. Either you die or I do.