Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

nine-gear crow posted:

He tried to explain it away as "Oh, it's just reference material for Sinestro", but according to the people who actually saw said book, like Gail Simone, it was incredibly :staredog:

Uh, is this why DC made Sinestro a White Power Lantern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, I guess now that Sequeldome is back, it should be pointed out that a study was done recently analyzing over 1 million tweets and 1,000 YouTube videos talking about Star Wars, and it turns out that the people who are screaming the loudest about Star Wars on the internet are all alt-right assholes who have clear problems with women and people of colour existing.

Weird, huh?

I wonder how many of them got money from bisney from creating you tube videos

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

I wonder how many of them got money from bisney from creating you tube videos

Oh I've no doubt Disney secretly loves these urinal masked and Nazi Furry avatar'd dinguses just as much as they all secretly love Disney because they keep eachothers names in people's heads. Meanwhile the Mouse reels in another few billion dollars a year off the patronage of normal people and TheKommandantMouse92x reels in about 10k a year off of the terminally online who are mad about all the normal people enjoying Star Wars or whatever.

It's a wheel.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Today I considered, they brought Frank Oz to do a puppet in the last jedi when he has not done puppets in 20 years. Why was he not a choice to direct? He directed one of the all time puppet effect movies ever! He probably could have done it for half the budget!!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, I guess now that Sequeldome is back, it should be pointed out that a study was done recently analyzing over 1 million tweets and 1,000 YouTube videos talking about Star Wars, and it turns out that the people who are screaming the loudest about Star Wars on the internet are all alt-right assholes who have clear problems with women and people of colour existing.

Weird, huh?

Could have been a good article if the author's primary motivation wasn't to prove The Last Jedi was a good movie by analysing social media mentions.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

Today I considered, they brought Frank Oz to do a puppet in the last jedi when he has not done puppets in 20 years. Why was he not a choice to direct? He directed one of the all time puppet effect movies ever! He probably could have done it for half the budget!!

Because then you wouldn't have your expectations SUBVERTED

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Frank Oz and his scripts are based on George's plan where they get on the magic school bus to go meet the whills

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Frank Oz and his scripts are based on George's plan where they get on the magic school bus to go meet the whills

Hell yes, WHY NOT DONE???

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Imagine loving Force Fraggles explaining that they are midichlorians using people as avatars in the fight between Good and Evil!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Imagine loving Force Fraggles explaining that they are midichlorians using people as avatars in the fight between Good and Evil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DobSmOHMBe8

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

So just as sensical a setup as the sequel films but with a possibility of being about something

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bogus Adventure posted:

:hmmyes: but where is Sheev?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sheev is dead, but you could have little Sheevichlorians running around and possessing people. He could crawl into people's ears and you could have a Wrath of Khan-esque scene where people are screaming and he scrambles his way through the ear hole...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

he's in his 70s and basically retired

Bogus Adventure posted:

Uh, is this why DC made Sinestro a White Power Lantern?

geoff johns loving loves sinestro, thinks he's the best villain ever

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Reminder that Mark Strong was Sinestro in the Green Lantern movie.

Also reminder that there was a Green Lantern movie, I guess.

Between Kickass, Shazam and GL, Mark Strong loving loves playing comic book supervillains.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Cease to Hope posted:

he's in his 70s and basically retired

He put out two documentaries in the past four years. Granted, Star wars would be a lot more work and a huge waste of his time. But he could have made the what about bob of star wars: Rey is completely dutiful to snoke and destroys the first order. The special effects could be "out of this world"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Between Kickass, Shazam and GL, Mark Strong loving loves playing comic book supervillains.

Mark Strong was the best thing about that GL movie. His Sinestro was excellent. His Dr. Sivana was a bit blah, but I'm looking forward to his adventures with Mister Mind in the Seven Magic Lands.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bogus Adventure posted:

Oh, I am

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

FunkyAl posted:

nobody wants to do things for half the budget. producers and execs all want to be able to list enormously bloated budgets next to their projects to prove how much of a big deal they are

Bogus Adventure posted:

the Force isn't about good vs evil it's about balance

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

indigi posted:

nobody wants to do things for half the budget. producers and execs all want to be able to list enormously bloated budgets next to their projects to prove how much of a big deal they are

the Force isn't about good vs evil it's about balance

Well, gently caress them! what they want could kill an elephant.

And I posted a clip of it already, but y'all REALLY should watch the Dark Crystal. It's about a lot of these themes and goes further in one film than any star wars does, except maybe phantom menace but can you imagine if henson had directed a prequel. Jim Henson's Phantom Menace. It's spiritual like the force is but importantly comes from the heart of a person who seems to have had an easier time navigating the "force." If he had lived he probably would not have bothered though and mnde several films other that would unlock new potentials, of the human mind.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

nine-gear crow posted:

Weird, huh?

That doesn't make TLJ a good movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've never seen the dark crystal or know anything about it except "jim henson puppet fantasy movie" and then watched the ending clip that got linked here that starts with the crystal glowing. In the recommended videos was a 15 minute clip explaining this ending and I watched it out of pure curiosity, since I've never seen the movie maybe it was really weird in full context or I missed stuff if people struggled with it. It explained as though it were great revelation the ending that I understood implicitly understood from about a 2 minute clip of film sans any other context.

Thats my new low mark for "people do not understand the media they consume"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Dark Crystal was incredibly weird. Jim Henson was an amazing filmaker, but he never really managed to crack drama. He managed to create a whole weird crazy world with piles of lore, but extremely little of that lore is in the movie and the actual plot isn't really delivered well.

I wonder what Henson would've thought about CGI. He made his career in practical effects, but was pretty constantly on the cutting edge of what was possible.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jim Henson was incredibly weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

He also seems to like doing WH40K stuff. He was the main character in the Space Marine game and also voiced the main character in a weird low budget Eisenhorn game.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Dark Crystal was incredibly weird. Jim Henson was an amazing filmaker, but he never really managed to crack drama. He managed to create a whole weird crazy world with piles of lore, but extremely little of that lore is in the movie and the actual plot isn't really delivered well.

I wonder what Henson would've thought about CGI. He made his career in practical effects, but was pretty constantly on the cutting edge of what was possible.

For a world as wonderfully rich in lore, I found the Dark Crystal world strangely empty. You got miles and miles of forest with wildlife and whatnot and that part is great and feels alive, but it never feels like a world with more sentient beings in it than the handful of characters we see. The Skeksis are evil and that obviously sucks for that one Fraggle village they keep raiding, but it only ever seems to be about the Skeksis and the Fraggles and then there are about a dozen other characters on the planet and that's it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bogus Adventure posted:

reminds me of that episode of star trek where rock creatures make captain kirk and mr spock team up with abraham lincoln to defeat history's greatest monsters

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

reminds me of that episode of star trek where rock creatures make captain kirk and mr spock team up with abraham lincoln to defeat history's greatest monsters

Just another reason why TOS Trek is best Trek. Excalbians for the muthafucking WIN.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I gotta differ! This film is moody as hell and everything you need to know is right on the screen. If it were more dramatic in a way you expect a movie to be dramatic it would lower the distance between you and the place. The Dark Crystal with a "good plot" is Avatar.

And he did do cg! He was doing weird computer muppets and stuff right before he died.

Grendels Dad posted:

For a world as wonderfully rich in lore, I found the Dark Crystal world strangely empty. You got miles and miles of forest with wildlife and whatnot and that part is great and feels alive, but it never feels like a world with more sentient beings in it than the handful of characters we see. The Skeksis are evil and that obviously sucks for that one Fraggle village they keep raiding, but it only ever seems to be about the Skeksis and the Fraggles and then there are about a dozen other characters on the planet and that's it.

The planet is dying, there ARE only a dozen other characters.

Really you shouldn't miss the forest for the trees on something like this. So much I hear complaints about works that are inaccessible or incomplete, but it may be that these are doing exactly the thing intended: activating your imagination! How could you even imagine a better dark crystal, if this bizarre theater company had not poured so much into producing it. They built an astrolabe!!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Dark Crystal show on Netflix is a prequel but does a lot to expand the world of the movie, and it's a crime it only got the one season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Not Star Wars related, but you remember how we talked earlier about Ethan Van Sciver having a sketchbook full of drawings of Hilter and how he got blacklisted by the entire professional comics industry for being a horrifying racist? Well...

https://twitter.com/rewritingripley/status/1372626199969554434

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Not Star Wars related, but you remember how we talked earlier about Ethan Van Sciver having a sketchbook full of drawings of Hilter and how he got blacklisted by the entire professional comics industry for being a horrifying racist? Well...

:wtc:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

:stare:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

nine-gear crow posted:

What the fuuuuuuck.

[edit]

https://twitter.com/rewritingripley/status/1373037673158352898

Dude...jfc what loving insane loser pyscho.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the gently caress is wrong with Eric July

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i know this is an ultranerd question but in Star Wars how hard is it to build warships

like, is it something only a handful of shipyards with a vast space-industrial infrastructure behind them can do, or could, say, the Hutts start swinging their dicks on the galactic stage within a couple years if they cut their rancors and palace barges budget by 5%?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well we know that Sheev has constructed a literal planet full of advanced warships, in secret, with a bunch of slaves in about 20 years, using money/resources siphoned off from the empire that nobody was able to notice (or maybe anyone who noticed got killed), so once you have everything centralized you can build pretty quickly if nothing else. but idk if the Hutts could do it even assuming they had the capital, technological expertise, and industrial base given the material requirements. sourcing any of the specialized or rare component materials must be very competitive

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know this is an ultranerd question but in Star Wars how hard is it to build warships

like, is it something only a handful of shipyards with a vast space-industrial infrastructure behind them can do, or could, say, the Hutts start swinging their dicks on the galactic stage within a couple years if they cut their rancors and palace barges budget by 5%?

According to LEGENDS LORE, there are 67 total "major," shipyards in the known Star Wars Galaxy, by which I would assume means Shipyards capable of building Capital Ships. 31 of those were nationalized exclusively for the Imperial state, 30 were still under civilian control but within the Imperial umbrella, and 6 were completely unaffiliated with the Empire.

Of the 61 under Imperial authority, 27 were tasked exclusively with the construction and maintenance of Imperial-class Star Destroyers, with another 18 devoting a portion of their output to those same vessels.

The Empire also maintained two mobile hyperspace-capable shipyard facilities called "Deepdocks," in each Imperial sector, but the majority of those were only capable of working with smaller vessels, capping out their capacity at the Victory-class Star Destroyer.

So I would say no, not just anyone could start playing the Capital Ship Game on a whim. These are pretty significant infrastructure investments.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of those shipyards are also absolutely massive. Like if you look at Kuat, there's an orbital ring of just shipyards all around the planet. Although I think the massive shipyards are also meant for a massive output of many capital ships, so it'd be plausible to maybe put together a couple ships at smaller facilities and just not getting the same efficiency you get with economies of scale. And if you get in a big fight with somebody who does have control over some shipyards, you'll be facing a lot more ships. The Rebellion had a hard time getting big Imperial shipyards to surrender.

And in the old EU the Empire did have ridiculous enough resources to create secret shipyards in the Deep Core, a region of the galaxy in the center where it's so densely packed with stars that they had to artificially create hyperspace routes with gravity well projectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sanguinia posted:

According to LEGENDS LORE, there are 67 total "major," shipyards in the known Star Wars Galaxy, by which I would assume means Shipyards capable of building Capital Ships. 31 of those were nationalized exclusively for the Imperial state, 30 were still under civilian control but within the Imperial umbrella, and 6 were completely unaffiliated with the Empire.

Of the 61 under Imperial authority, 27 were tasked exclusively with the construction and maintenance of Imperial-class Star Destroyers, with another 18 devoting a portion of their output to those same vessels.

The Empire also maintained two mobile hyperspace-capable shipyard facilities called "Deepdocks," in each Imperial sector, but the majority of those were only capable of working with smaller vessels, capping out their capacity at the Victory-class Star Destroyer.

So I would say no, not just anyone could start playing the Capital Ship Game on a whim. These are pretty significant infrastructure investments.

i guess i need to re-read my essential guide to vehicles and vessels, because i remember pretty much everything being built by kdy, incom, and mon cal