Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I kind of want a pair of Bluetooth buds for work, my main headphones at the moment are perfect for home/walks and such, Sennheiser momentum wireless 2 (over ear).

But being full sized cans they are a bit bulky to be taking to work everyday, plus I cant really keep em with me when Im going to job sites or such so my mind is going to some Bluetooth buds

The obvious choice being the Sennheiser momentum 2 in ear because Sennheiser p much always ends up being the best quality audio for the price range Im interested in, but Im hesitating because I already have great audio cans for home use or typical traveling, so should I get something more feature/call oriented like the AirPod pro? Being able to yell at Siri to call people or set timers for me would legit be helpful when Im working.

That seems like the more practical choice when Im specifically getting them for use when the big headphones are impractical, I just have the nagging feeling whenever I am listening to music at work with them Ill be disappointed I just didnt go for the better quality audio. I do have an iPhone but I dont have much other apple stuff so compatibility isnt a huge deal but I probably would use Siri occasionally and I do deal with a moderate amount of calls throughout a day.

Aside from the audio vs utility trade off another consideration is build quality, googling around I feel like Ive seen more complaints about the AirPods crapping out in under a year than Im quite comfortable with, but ya never know people do mostly only complain if things go wrong.

Any advice or I suppose wildcard third options?

Get AirPods and the extended warranty for $29.99. I saw the pros on Amazon yesterday for 189 so dont pay full price.

They are absolutely worth it.

They also read texts out to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Peachfart posted:

Is there a similar version to these that include a headphone?

That is a headphone?

E: oh do you mean a microphone? Probably not unless they're bluetooth.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lowness 72 posted:

That is a headphone?

E: oh do you mean a microphone? Probably not unless they're bluetooth.

Yes, microphone, sorry.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
got some IEMs to test

64Audio u12T - pretty decent, not worth money nor hype
Kinera Nana 2.0 - NOPE, fail
Kbear Believe (be driver) - Nope fail, way too bright
Thieaudio Clair - wooo boy, thats a fun set, mad bass, I like
Dunu SA6- Decent, mids are not my preference, build quality excellent, bass wow

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

got some IEMs to test

64Audio u12T - pretty decent, not worth money nor hype
Kinera Nana 2.0 - NOPE, fail
Kbear Believe (be driver) - Nope fail, way too bright
Thieaudio Clair - wooo boy, thats a fun set, mad bass, I like
Dunu SA6- Decent, mids are not my preference, build quality excellent, bass wow

Interesting that the bass was that impressive on the SA6. I strongly considered purchasing that recently, but decided on the UM 3D Terminator. Supposed to arrive later today.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Peachfart posted:

Yes, microphone, sorry.

The CB-1 have a standard 3.5mm jack in 'em, so you can use a vmoda boompro or equivalent, it'll plug right in.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

That seems like the more practical choice when Im specifically getting them for use when the big headphones are impractical, I just have the nagging feeling whenever I am listening to music at work with them Ill be disappointed I just didnt go for the better quality audio. I do have an iPhone but I dont have much other apple stuff so compatibility isnt a huge deal but I probably would use Siri occasionally and I do deal with a moderate amount of calls throughout a day.

I worried about the same thing for a long time before picking up my AirPod Pros and haven't been disappointed at all. They are extremely handy and, to me, sound good enough that I don't feel like I'm missing out when I listen during they day. From what I've read the Sennheiser in ear wireless sets aren't anything special for sound anyway.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

Interesting that the bass was that impressive on the SA6. I strongly considered purchasing that recently, but decided on the UM 3D Terminator. Supposed to arrive later today.

I forgot to mention I got the 3D Terminator as well. I'd say.. I might pick it over the SA6..

Looks like a piece of toffee.

OK I do pick it. SA6 has a mid dip I hate, which is right in the vocal region. Triggers my brain. The bass BA drivers are vented Sonion's with a vent in the actual shell. It's impressive how they did it. Them BA can kick HARD!

This is exactly what happened. I got U12T, 3DT, SA6, Kbear Believe, and Softears RSV, and Nana 2.0 at the same time, same day. I just a/b swapped immediately. RSV won by a landslide, next was U12T and 3DT and the rest were fail.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 12, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I tried the Believe as well, because why not. I wasn't fond of the tuning, but the big problem is that the first time I tried to change the tips I pulled the right driver assembly clean out of the shell.

So yeah, that went back to Amazon.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Have a small retro gaming setup that I have some AudioEngine A2s with and want to get some decent headphones for as well. I feel the consoles Im going to be using there are relevant to what the recommendations may be as it gives a range of what would be worthwhile to get and what is way too much for my needs. The range is from NES up to PS2, so I dont *think* I need anything crazy or super advanced etc.

Preferably under $100. An ideal or somewhat desirable feature would be if the cable connecting the headphones themselves to the headphone jack on the device is easily detachable from the headphones. Via 3.5mm or otherwise, if I could just do a quick pop on and off, thatd be great. Dunno if thats even an option, to be honest.

Anyway, any help or recommendations appreciated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Have a small retro gaming setup that I have some AudioEngine A2s with and want to get some decent headphones for as well. I feel the consoles Im going to be using there are relevant to what the recommendations may be as it gives a range of what would be worthwhile to get and what is way too much for my needs. The range is from NES up to PS2, so I dont *think* I need anything crazy or super advanced etc.

Preferably under $100. An ideal or somewhat desirable feature would be if the cable connecting the headphones themselves to the headphone jack on the device is easily detachable from the headphones. Via 3.5mm or otherwise, if I could just do a quick pop on and off, thatd be great. Dunno if thats even an option, to be honest.

Anyway, any help or recommendations appreciated.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024221-OREG/audio_technica_ath_m40x_closed_back_professional_studio.html
these do everything you want

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html
these dont have a detachable cable but maybe they fit more of the aesthetic vibe you seek, as theyve been in production in some capacity or other since 1985 (technically 1991 for this specific model but the chassis was p much the same). This can be easily cable-modded and Sony sells replacement cables.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
It's taken my brain a couple of days to adjust to the tuning of the UM 3D Terminator, but I'm definitely enjoying them. They have a very unapologetically v-shaped tuning, but it's done very well if you can handle the spiciness of the treble. Incredible sound stage and separation though, and it's bassy in a way I like, where the subbass has more oomph than the mid bass.

Hopefully this multi direct driver IEM fad catches on, feels just more musical than some other good stuff I have with BAs/piezos/etc. I would buy a more neutrally tuned version of something that otherwise sounds similar to this. But yeah, listening to rock music with like crazy drum fills and whatnot sounds great with this set.

Shame that the cable is such utter trash, it's way more uncomfortable than even the type of cable that comes with the cheapest chi fi sets. It was also surprisingly difficult to swap it out, I was nervous I might bend the pins on the new cable I put on. Should've been something much nicer in this price range.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The CB-1 have a standard 3.5mm jack in 'em, so you can use a vmoda boompro or equivalent, it'll plug right in.

I use the boompro with mine and it works great.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LODGE NORTH posted:

Status Audio CB-1 are your best bet.

M40x sound good but the stock pads are cheap and thin, and the cable, while removable, is an annoying 2.5mm locking thing instead of a regular 3.5mm. The 7506 are great portable monitor headphones but the stock pads are even cheaper and thinner and will shed bits of black plastic everywhere, and there's a powerful upper midrange honk that makes them pretty bad for vocals.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

trem_two posted:

It's taken my brain a couple of days to adjust to the tuning of the UM 3D Terminator

Sometimes I pick this thread out of my bookmarks, start skimming a post, and I think I'm in TFR.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there some headphone solution against radio music and talking noise?

I mainly want silence in work. My work mate is a bimbo who listens to the country's most horrible radio and talks poo poo on the phone all the time. I don't want to hear any of it. I don't have social skills for a solution.

Do noise-cancelling headphones help? Do I need 3M Peltors with noise cancellation? Anything. I am mainly interested in not hearing speech frequencies. Especially the song vocals, ad vocals, my work mate's speech - none of that please. Is it possible?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 15, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I know people who use noise cancelling buds as electronic earplugs. Most of them use AirPods Pro but any buds or over ears with decent noise cancelling will probably do the job.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Noise cancelling headphones will cut down on all noises but are predominantly designed for low-frequency sounds like engine noise. If you want to block out speech frequencies, actual earmuffs or plugs are probably your best option. Because of the way your brain works, though, you will still be aware of your annoying coworker. She just won't be as loud and hopefully you won't be able to understand her.

If you want total silence, yeah, earplugs and earmuffs over top will get you as close to that as possible. If you're okay blocking most of the sound and listening to your own music underneath to cover up the rest, then any type of over-ear sealed headphones should work fine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just get a couple active monitors with at least 5" woofers and put them on your desktop. Crank the volume and play Cradle of Filth on them all day every day. Solved.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Status Audio CB-1 are your best bet.

M40x sound good but the stock pads are cheap and thin, and the cable, while removable, is an annoying 2.5mm locking thing instead of a regular 3.5mm. The 7506 are great portable monitor headphones but the stock pads are even cheaper and thinner and will shed bits of black plastic everywhere, and there's a powerful upper midrange honk that makes them pretty bad for vocals.

Cant say I disagree about the cable, but high quality replacement pads are easy to get for both in a variety of materials/colors for $10-20

I think the bigger problem with the M40x is that they probably share the same headband cover material as my 7 year old M50s, which are in perfectly great shape aside from the flaking (and it seems much harder to remove w/o buying a replacement full headpiece armature from AT and laboriously dis/reassembling the phones)

Edit: now Im wondering....if I cut the headband pad off the phones and use them as a template, could I ask my mom to stitch me a replacement? The zippered neoprene covers they sell online look like total rear end.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ok Comboomer posted:

Cant say I disagree about the cable, but high quality replacement pads are easy to get for both in a variety of materials/colors for $10-20

I mean, the m40x are good headphones, I used to recommend them before the CB-1 existed. The Status cans sound pretty much the same, except they come with great pads out of the box, a nice flat 3.5mm cable and they cost $30 less.

I also hate that AT headband honestly. It's creaky, it's chunky, it'll flake like those 7506 pads eventually and it's impossible to replace.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My reliable beater Monoprice 8323s just snapped the headband, is there anything else in the sub-$50 price range I should consider before just buying another set? The ones that just broke were from late 2014 so for a $18 set of headphones I have zero complaints, and I already have some upgraded ear pads and a ModMic setup for them.

I do eventually intend to get something nice but I love not giving the slightest bit of a gently caress about these when I travel.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

My reliable beater Monoprice 8323s just snapped the headband, is there anything else in the sub-$50 price range I should consider before just buying another set? The ones that just broke were from late 2014 so for a $18 set of headphones I have zero complaints, and I already have some upgraded ear pads and a ModMic setup for them.

I do eventually intend to get something nice but I love not giving the slightest bit of a gently caress about these when I travel.

Monoprice retros? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16150

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

njsykora posted:

I know people who use noise cancelling buds as electronic earplugs. Most of them use AirPods Pro but any buds or over ears with decent noise cancelling will probably do the job.

My wife watches tv with her AirPod pros while Im playing a video game and were both on the couch and she cant hear poo poo when I say something, its more effective than I wouldve thought.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Looks nice, seems to fit the ear pads I already have, but I forgot to mention that I strongly prefer the removable cord. I use my current set with a long extension cord when watching movies when my housemates are asleep and I also have a super short cord I sometimes use with my VR headset, on top of the fact that most of my previous headphones have gone through 3-4 cables in their lives.

Not an absolute top concern as it's usually not too hard to mod a socket in, but it would be nice to not have to.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

Looks nice, seems to fit the ear pads I already have, but I forgot to mention that I strongly prefer the removable cord. I use my current set with a long extension cord when watching movies when my housemates are asleep and I also have a super short cord I sometimes use with my VR headset, on top of the fact that most of my previous headphones have gone through 3-4 cables in their lives.

Not an absolute top concern as it's usually not too hard to mod a socket in, but it would be nice to not have to.

I doubt you'll find a removable cable on a $25 full sized headphone anywhere. Maybe some IEMs.

Otherwise if its just length you need then one of these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10147 should do the job. I don't know who orders them in a length of 50ft but that's one of the options.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DancingShade posted:

I doubt you'll find a removable cable on a $25 full sized headphone anywhere. Maybe some IEMs.
The 8323s I"m looking to replace have a removable cord and tick all my boxes so my default plan at this point is to get another set.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8323. Looks like they even include a TRRS cable with an inline mic now on top of the base cable.

I'm just asking to see if there's anything meaningfully better while still being cheap enough to toss in a backpack and not care about.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
The headband on my Massdrop Koss Portapros is getting really loose and can barely stay on my head. Does anyone know if there's a fix?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

DildenAnders posted:

The headband on my Massdrop Koss Portapros is getting really loose and can barely stay on my head. Does anyone know if there's a fix?

Theres a little plastic switch on the arms to adjust tension in 3 settings I think. Did you change it?

Failing that, bend the top steel band.

Failing that, Koss has a lifetime warranty. Just pay shipping.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got the Softears RSV and it IS the best IEM i've ever heard. I have the SA6, U12T, Nana 2.0, ER4xr, etc, etc. RSV wins by quite a bit. It's perfect!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I really want a flip to mute bluetooth headset. My Sennheiser GAME ONE headset is perfect other than the fact that I now have touse the stupid dongle to use it with my phone. I tried the Sennheiser GSP 670 but they are way too isolating for talking. I wish somebody made a circumaural open back wireless headset! Might give the BlueParrott B450-XT a try, maybe a monaural headset is the closest I'll get to a wireless GAME ONE.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Budget - ~$50
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced probably
Past Headphones - BLON BL03s, BL05s, Tin T2
Preferred Music - Podcasts, Punk, Metal, Ska

My Bl-03s died and I'm entertaining the idea of replacing them. I have a pair of BL-05s. I have a pair of Tin T2s I haven't used in awhile either. These are headphones that I use for when I go for a walk. The KZ ZSX look interesting. I'm looking to see what else is out there in the budget IEM market. Bonus if they have a 2 pin connector so I can reuse the cord I had for the BL-03s.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I've got a pair of crappy Logitech gaming headphones with microphone but I'm looking to upgrade.

I recall reading some people advocating for gaming not to buy "gaming" branded combo headset/microphones because they usually suck at both or are cheap, and the recommendation is to get headphones and then a separate stand-microphone or something (also such a microphone needs some sort of separate unit? a DAC? Not sure) Not sure if this is on topic in here but any one have good advice here on the microphone side or would that be a question better put somewhere else?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Check out modmic, Antlion makes a few different ones. You just stick em on whatever headphones. Theres wireless, USB wired and 3.5mm wired.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I tried googling it but failed. Does anyone know of any earbuds(not IEM) with a 2pin 0.78mm connector? I saw on reddit that someone modded some VE monks with a 0.78 connector. I would rather just purchase rather than mod one.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

I tried googling it but failed. Does anyone know of any earbuds(not IEM) with a 2pin 0.78mm connector? I saw on reddit that someone modded some VE monks with a 0.78 connector. I would rather just purchase rather than mod one.

Rose has models that are well regarded and use 2 pin cables, but they are expensive by earbud standards (the model names are Masaya, Mojito, Maria).

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Thanks for the help. At those prices, I'm not sure whether to mod or not.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

Thanks for the help. At those prices, I'm not sure whether to mod or not.

There are a decent amount of mmcx earbuds, you could always get a pair of those ave a set of mmcx to 2-pin converters.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
edit: moved to the quick audio questions thread

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Has anyone tried the EarFun Airs? I'm looking for something for my wife that's easy to use and doesn't have lag or connection issues. She would use them mostly for podcasts and YouTube while doing other stuff so no audiophile requirements but she does get listening fatigue quite easily.
Something backed with decent warranty service would be ideal.
The 50$ price range is good and I don't mind waiting for an AliExpress order if there are good options there.