Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It wasn't the same after the first big hiatus anyway. No loss, unlike never seeing the end of this would be.

I don't know if it's a real interview but Togashi even said that the 2011 anime's stopping point Gon meets that piece of poo poo Ging on top of the tree is basically the end of the original story anyway, and the next arc is because there's more to tell in that universe. You'd have hanging plot threads and some things left a bit unsatisfactorily ended if you leave it there but it's a good place to hope off of HxH if you ever choose to read it.

Togashi's 100% too poorly to finish HxH and if he's not going to have someone draw it while he writes the story, there's no chance that story wraps up. There's nothing to suggest Miura is unwell and incapable of finishing Berserk and his pace is maintaining well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It took ten years for us all to internalise it but yes, Miura is consistent.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INiLyUnYONE

Presented without comment.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GorfZaplen posted:

Chrollo Lucifer from Hunter x Hunter, or as his official name is romanized Quwrof Wrlccywrlir

Is that Welsh?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nah it's the bad guys from Marathon Infinity

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Thanks for the nightmare fuel.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how people who like Berserk tend to like the same other stuff, given the very end.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I don’t have much to add to this thread but I’m reading this manga for the first time (never watched any of the anime, just got in because of Guts’ theme, influence on Dark Souls, and a friend’s tattoo). I’m on volume 8 right now and it’s looking to be a top five manga I’ve ever read. The story is really good and the art is incredible.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I don’t have much to add to this thread but I’m reading this manga for the first time (never watched any of the anime, just got in because of Guts’ theme, influence on Dark Souls, and a friend’s tattoo). I’m on volume 8 right now and it’s looking to be a top five manga I’ve ever read. The story is really good and the art is incredible.

Feel free to post your reactions as you go along, it's great fun to follow along with someone reading this for the first time.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

Feel free to post your reactions as you go along, it's great fun to follow along with someone reading this for the first time.

Agreed. Especially if you aren't familiar with the story.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Suddenly I'm reminded how I was first introduced to the series: Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage

I was a wee lad enjoying simple games with simple stories like Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure and Skies of Arcadia... then suddenly I saw this in an issue of the Official Dreamcast Magazine. I never ended up playing the game, but was intrigued enough to look the series up and watch the 1997 animation. A decade or so passed until I read the manga, which in my eyes easily ranks as the best dark fantasy series around!

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 15, 2021

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I bought a Dreamcast off ebay just to play that game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The big rear end Deluxe volumes are around 50% in now, by my reckoning.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Just about yeah

By the time the 13th is released, we'll be caught up with the present

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I found this on Amazon, I wonder if it's any good:
https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Quentin-Alt-236-Boeton/dp/2377842763/
There's a detailed review that makes it seem like it might be.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

marshmallow creep posted:

I bought a Dreamcast off ebay just to play that game.

When I worked at Best Buy i picked it up as it was one of the last clearance dreamcast games. It is not a very good game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That hardest part of the game is a chase scene where you are running away from instant death tendrils. You are running towards the camera, so it can be hard to know what to react to. It seems to exist just to run out your lives so the final fights are more tense. It's a game designed for (clunky) fighting, not narrowly timed platforming with instant death for failure.

But that has Puck in heroic Guts cosplay playing theme music out of the VMU, which is fun.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Boco_T posted:

I found this on Amazon, I wonder if it's any good:
https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Quentin-Alt-236-Boeton/dp/2377842763/
There's a detailed review that makes it seem like it might be.

Absolutely insane this isn't an ebook.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
hell, I ordered a copy

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gently caress, these volumes have been sustaining me for a while now, it feels almost like the series is producing content on a regular basis

i think i'm going to have some serious withdrawals when they catch up and suddenly it's back to three chapters a year

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Time to stimulate the economy!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

They've gotten real reasonable (i hate to say go to amazon but the longer they've been on there the cheaper they get). I've been right on the edge of picking up the Hellsing collection since it'll only be 3 volumes and that has similarly impressive art, and they're now like 25 bucks a piece.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

gently caress, these volumes have been sustaining me for a while now, it feels almost like the series is producing content on a regular basis

i think i'm going to have some serious withdrawals when they catch up and suddenly it's back to three chapters a year

Yeah that's a feeling I've been having, too. It's like a creeping dread. Will still be like two years or a little less before they catch up, right?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

charlie kirk made me lose it lmao. amazing.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have made the decision to get a Berserk tattoo.

I'm between the panel of when Guts ripped his arm off and he's screaming, or the panel of Jill looking at Guts through the flame and commenting on how he looked like a terrifying monster.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Hilario Baldness posted:

I'm between the panel of when Guts ripped his arm off and he's screaming, or the panel of Jill looking at Guts through the flame and commenting on how he looked like a terrifying monster.

What you need is Casca's vision of Guts when she sees him for the first time after being repaired across your back. It would be epic.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Get the rape horse

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This is high art.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Hilario Baldness posted:

I mean the classic choice is your very own brand of sacrifice, although the hand holding the crimson behelit is a good one too.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

What you need is Casca's vision of Guts when she sees him for the first time after being repaired across your back. It would be epic.

If my back wasn't already tatted I would consider this or the image of the all the apostles in the eclipse

Pyrotoad posted:

I mean the classic choice is your very own brand of sacrifice, although the hand holding the crimson behelit is a good one too.

It's illegal in this state but I've thought about scarification for a brand

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

temple posted:

Time to stimulate the economy!

Worth every penny.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

A few months ago I was looking for medieval anime and found out about Berserk. I first watched a fan cut edit of the movies on YouTube with 1996 stuff added in. I read everyone saying the 2016 series wasn’t worth watching so I didn’t. Until a few weeks ago, and frankly I loved it. The story and good voice acting was still there even with questionable CGI. I needed more, so started the ‘96 series from the beginning. And finally now, I’m reading the manga! It’s my first manga actually.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paperback Writer posted:

A few months ago I was looking for medieval anime and found out about Berserk. I first watched a fan cut edit of the movies on YouTube with 1996 stuff added in. I read everyone saying the 2016 series wasn’t worth watching so I didn’t. Until a few weeks ago, and frankly I loved it. The story and good voice acting was still there even with questionable CGI. I needed more, so started the ‘96 series from the beginning. And finally now, I’m reading the manga! It’s my first manga actually.

You are in for a great time

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Like no joke it ranks up there with Lord of the Rings or A song of Ice and Fire.

The books, just so we're clear.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Paperback Writer posted:

Welcome to manga! You’ve started with one of the best so it’s all gonna be downhill from here. Kidding, there’s a bunch of good stuff, just not so much dark fantasy. If you like Berserk you may enjoy Vinland Saga afterward. It also has a really good anime adaption.

If you usually read fantasy novels set in the medieval era I recommend Between Two Fires. That scratched the Berserk itch I had after no new chapters were released for months.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Like legit if Berserk just ended right here I still think it'd be one of the best manga ever made.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I'm rereading the manga and I have a question that I've always suspected: Did all the pirate and sailing stuff start happening around the same time that the Pirates of the Caribbean movies came out? Because I always get major Pirates of the Caribbean vibes from those chapters.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The golden age movies were legit good. They cut a few too many things but they’re very solid and the Eclipse is done spectacularly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think it was roughly around the same time. Within a couple of years I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Golden Age Movies were deeply flawed but had some great parts. The assassination sequence in the first movie was fantastic, some of the minor changes to how the Doldrey siege were nice and it made a bit more sense how they were able to flank their way into the castle, some other stuff that evades me at the moment.

But there were also painfully stupid decisions made - keeping in minutes of ballroom dancing but removing the Bonfire of Dreams scene and moving part of Guts speech to the banquet was some bulllllllllllllllshit and changing the duel with Boscogn so that it isn't Zodd tossing his sword down to Guts after his broadsword breaks, but instead he throws up a flag (???) and awkwardly chops through it or around it jesus christ lmao

Just completely robbed that of an interesting moment with a mysterious antagonist and a dope reversal

Also no mention of Godo or Guts training the mountains, the gently caress is that poo poo, if you're coming only from the movies into the 2016 series I bet you were completely lost on who the gently caress the old guy with the girl was