Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've got the Rpi400 and I was wanting to set it up for VDI to my office. I've already been approved and I have it set up on my iPad.

This is just for playing around, as I'm in IT and have VPN/Laptop etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best setup? I just installed Fydeos which is a ChromeOS clone (China built, but OSS). And I was just going to use the stock Citrix android app. Not sure how much I trust it to connect to my office.. Anyone have a better setup? Or can speak to Fydeos's security?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Skarsnik posted:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns-over-https/

I've been running it with DoH for a long time now

I have a 0w connected to a former 4” screen from the back seat of my sister-in-law’s wrecked car. I set it up with a magnifying glass because the words are tiny. I think pihole works great and the entire thing is protecting my home network (no Plex or anything family just uses the networks WiFi to stream/browse) to the point my dad remarked on ads not annoying him lately. Best $20 I ever spent except for my vertical mouse.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

i vomit kittens posted:

you have to sign up for a waitlist to get access. And I'm guessing "shitposting chat bot" isn't a valid reason to put on the application.

e2: also it's $100 a month minimum after the first 3 months lmao

Totally worth it. Low-skill jobs are more efficient when automated.

My shitposting is artisanal and Organic (as in the “brain disease”).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My rpi4 and hifi berry dac2 HD arrived and I had lots of fun assembling and then configuring the little guy.

Now cranking my favourite album on WAV via Volumio and it's like hearing it for the first time again.

Really is amazing how much low end is cut out of lossy formats.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Depends on how much you compress it, but yeah, I've heard some absolutely massive differences.

I always go for FLAC just for portability. Though I'm the kind of person with, uh, a lot of systems so normal people wouldn't. WAV? What yar is it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

even just listening to spotify with a direct connection rather than bluetooth you can notice a significant improvement.

a decent DAC goes a long way.

I just grabbed WAVs off bandcamp for everything I had already purchased simply because it was the preselected format. if i start getting a lot of albums this way i will probably switch to FLAC.

found a few known-to-me artists on DSD too so I'll try that out.

what a fun little project. :)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Have they ever given a reason for doing it this way? So many people run into this problem that when anyone asks a question about transmission not doing what they expected everyone assumes this is their problem, sometimes even when they explicitly specify they stopped it first, or their troubleshooting describes getting different results for different things meaning they have to be stopping it in between.

i always assumed the reason is the same reason as every other thing with computers: "because gently caress you, that's why"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What Scratch-compatible robot kits are good?

Something that can also be controlled via GPIO would also be nice.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ok Volumio is a wee bit buggy. What's the alternatives? I know roon and there's another.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

Ok Volumio is a wee bit buggy. What's the alternatives? I know roon and there's another.

Moode. I've been running it for a couple months and have been happy as a clam.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is the Spotify integration better? Not having my liked songs playlist available is a bit annoying but I can just airplay from my phone to the Volumio instance to get CD quality playback of lossy Spotify.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Another alternative, and the only one I’ve been satisfied with in a multi room setup, is running forked-daapd in conjunction with shairport-sync. I run forked-daapd on my NAS (a Pi4) and shairport-sync on Pi0Ws attached to dumb speakers. Forked-daap can also do local output, before I got the Pi4 it ran on a Pi3A directly attached to some dumb speakers.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

Is the Spotify integration better? Not having my liked songs playlist available is a bit annoying but I can just airplay from my phone to the Volumio instance to get CD quality playback of lossy Spotify.

It just shows up in Spotify as another device I can stream to if that's what you mean. It also has Airplay connectivity as well if you have some kind of different setup that needs it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cheers. Yeah it sounds like it works just like Volumio in that sense (works as a host for your lossless files or airplay target for anything else) so I'll chuck it on another mSD and give it a try.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Airplay/shairport are streaming from device to device full-time, so it can take a serious toll on your battery if you’re playing from a phone.

With SpotifyConnect, your phone is just a remote control and the music is grabbed directly from the internet.

Theoretically, volumio and moode should have similar Spotify performance since they use the same open source player, but in my experience, moode works smoother and updates the app quicker when Spotify breaks the API.

You’re not going to get playlist access on your Pi either way. Spotify seems to barely tolerate LibreSpot.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well the Spotify plug in for Volumio takes my credentials and shows my playlists but liked songs has a different name and only shows/plays the last 10 additions to the playlist so it's not very useful.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I installed Volumino on an old Pi and it was nice but my biggest concern was how outdated the OS was. I just installed RaspberryPi OS and mopidy. Works great for subsonic/airsonic. It has support for Spotify but I haven't tried it yet. It does have a web interface and only took a few minutes to get going.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

calandryll posted:

I installed Volumino on an old Pi and it was nice but my biggest concern was how outdated the OS was. I just installed RaspberryPi OS and mopidy. Works great for subsonic/airsonic. It has support for Spotify but I haven't tried it yet. It does have a web interface and only took a few minutes to get going.

I was literally looking for ways to connect an RPI to Spotify when I saw this, somehow it didn't come up in any of my searches. Getting it connected to Spotify was super simple; it doesn't support spotify connect but it should be controllable from the web interface anyways so meh.

Thanks!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I was literally looking for ways to connect an RPI to Spotify when I saw this, somehow it didn't come up in any of my searches. Getting it connected to Spotify was super simple; it doesn't support spotify connect but it should be controllable from the web interface anyways so meh.

Thanks!

If that’s all you want, this is what all the appliance distros use.

https://github.com/librespot-org/librespot

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Chromium has started giving me weird graphical glitches, and is generally unusable at the moment. I've tried purging and reinstalling it, but that hasn't worked. Everything else is working fine. Any clues how to fix it? I'm able to use the default browser as back up so it's not an emergency.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Laserface posted:

My rpi4 and hifi berry dac2 HD arrived and I had lots of fun assembling and then configuring the little guy.

Now cranking my favourite album on WAV via Volumio and it's like hearing it for the first time again.

Really is amazing how much low end is cut out of lossy formats.

what? lossy formats roll off the highs, not the lows.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

skull mask mcgee posted:

you're talking to an audiophile, don't expect it to make sense

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

skull mask mcgee posted:

Really depends on the lossy format. For example, the one YouTube uses really fucks with lows.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

skull mask mcgee posted:

It's not about rolloff, but how well the codecs handle the lower frequencies in general. Some are (un)surprisingly pretty bad.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Fwiw, I just installed Volumio onto a pi3b and it’s amazing. The girlfriend loves the interface and the tons of webradio stations she can get. I had an old receiver with hdmi so just hooked it up that way (just for audio). I even bought the iOS app and that works great. We are not Spotify users... I just set up a share to my iTunes library. She loves it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

endlessmonotony posted:

Really depends on the lossy format. For example, the one YouTube uses really fucks with lows.

Youtube uses AAC and Opus, both of which have very good low-frequency characteristics (better than MP3).

Stop getting info from audiophiles who show you an audio sample and say "listen to how bad that is, that's because of compression!" If they tell you which one is compressed, it's not a blind experiment. It's the inverse of the placebo effect. To get a scientific result, you have to listen to the sound without knowing which one is the compressed audio and which is lossless.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Klyith posted:

Youtube uses AAC and Opus, both of which have very good low-frequency characteristics (better than MP3).

Stop getting info from audiophiles who show you an audio sample and say "listen to how bad that is, that's because of compression!" If they tell you which one is compressed, it's not a blind experiment. It's the inverse of the placebo effect. To get a scientific result, you have to listen to the sound without knowing which one is the compressed audio and which is lossless.

You don't need to ABX test for deliberate, documented design choices.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'm not an audiophile, I use cheap pack in cables on almost all my poo poo. But you don't have to be one to notice a difference between Spotify over Bluetooth and Spotify over cables.

The reason I decided to try a rPi setup was because I put CarPlay in my car, stopped using Bluetooth and immediately noticed an improvement in sound quality. I didn't know at the time wireless CarPlay used Airplay, not Bluetooth to transmit the audio, but then confirmed the same improvement using airplay in my house vs Bluetooth (on the same speakers in the same room)

Initially I just wanted the rpi as a Spotify steam box that I could control via Spotify connect - this would get the same functionality of Bluetooth but better sound quality since Spotify connect is just remotely playing/controlling.

Then I stumbled across hat DACs. I'd never really used high end audio playback devices before (I have nice speakers already) so figured I'd dip my toes and here I am.

My ears are kinda hosed after years of playing in bands so that I noticed anything at all, especially in my car of all places was kind of why I went "well if Bluetooth sucks that much, let's see what a WAV file played in a quality DAC with no wireless connectivity sounds like."

The answer? It's diminishing returns but it sounds a lot better than it did.

Would I spend as much money again from scratch? Probably not.

Did I enjoy researching and tinkering with an rPi and intently listening to my favourite albums? Yes.

Tldr it was just a fun project plz don't link me to $500 volume knobs.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Laserface posted:

I'm not an audiophile, I use cheap pack in cables on almost all my poo poo. But you don't have to be one to notice a difference between Spotify over Bluetooth and Spotify over cables.

Its enough for one of them to be slightly louder for you to think it sounds better.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Laserface posted:

I'm not an audiophile, I use cheap pack in cables on almost all my poo poo.

Tldr it was just a fun project plz don't link me to $500 volume knobs.

I'mma break into your house and replace all your WAVs with copies that I've compressed to MP3 and then re-inflated to WAV, then see how long it takes for you to notice the supposed "low end cut out".

MikusR posted:

Its enough for one of them to be slightly louder for you to think it sounds better.

Bluetooth specifically can have terrible quality if it's using SBC encoding, that poo poo is incredibly bad. (It was designed so that a 90-cent chip in late-90s tech could en/decode it in realtime.)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I appreciate everyones concern but Im not really worried about whether or not im testing properly or even if you agree with me because I notice the difference and I cant really see how you can tell me otherwise unless I have you come over and thats not happening now because you're all being mean.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Laserface posted:

I appreciate everyones concern but Im not really worried about whether or not im testing properly or even if you agree with me because I notice the difference and I cant really see how you can tell me otherwise unless I have you come over and thats not happening now because you're all being mean.

Don't worry, he doesn't actually have half a clue what he's talking about.

You can tell because he's ignoring how optimizing audio for different purposes works, and it's the probable culprit here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Modern (2012+) bluetooth audio codecs ought to be indistinguishable from cables if both sides speak Good Codec

We had this fight three months ago in one of the audio threads

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Modern (2012+) bluetooth audio codecs ought to be indistinguishable from cables if both sides speak Good Codec

Good Codec and Good Encoder, there's a whole thing where AAC encoder quality varies wildly between Android devices and is pretty much always worse than Apples

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The tl;dr (because I can only handle anyone talking about this for so long before I get a real bad craving for a drink) is as follows:

Youtube's so ridiculously massive they save a considerable amount of money every little bit of data they save, and the vast majority of content uploaded is recorded using mediocre-at-best equipment. They want the voices of people to come through clearly, so that's where the bulk of their bandwidth allocation goes. Are those lows a musical instrument 90% of viewers can't hear anyway on their lovely phones, road noise, wind, or just someone farting on the mic? Who cares, it's not a priority. Then they make everyone use that solution, because gently caress maintaining multiple answers. They do tweak things every so often, so videos from a certain era might just sound shittier and on average nobody notices.

For your own use, who the gently caress cares about space anymore, use lossless you're not using a 128mb MuVo. Lossy codecs have come a long way but it barely matters. If someone's encoding lossy quality is an afterthought and it's even odds if they're using the right codec for it, or just something built for speech purposes because those things are the cheap answer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

repiv posted:

Good Codec and Good Encoder, there's a whole thing where AAC encoder quality varies wildly between Android devices and is pretty much always worse than Apples

The interesting thing I found in my travels was that AAC re-encodes to go over BT even if the BT device supports AAC.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Laserface posted:

The interesting thing I found in my travels was that AAC re-encodes to go over BT even if the BT device supports AAC.

If you want to be able to hear audio from anything else, you have to mix it in which means re-encoding. Anyone here who's set up bitstreaming for surround audio formats on a HTPC has probably dealt with that one before. That's probably fine for streaming music to a speaker around the house, but I'd bet most people would rather their navigation voice comes through along with their music in the car, or that notification tones come through in their headphones.

Bitstreaming MP3 is also possible, but no one does it for the same reason.

One thing I wish someone would do though is just support uncompressed PCM. Bluetooth A2DP technically supports arbitrary codecs so it'd just take a source and sink device agreeing to do it, and there's enough bandwidth to handle the same "CD quality" signal you'd find on a S/PDIF connection with room to spare. No meaningful codec latency, no processing, just take the output from the mixer and wrap it up in some Bluetooth. It'd be great for basically any situation where both source and sink are connected to a significant external power source like a car or the mains.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

endlessmonotony posted:

Youtube's so ridiculously massive they save a considerable amount of money every little bit of data they save, and the vast majority of content uploaded is recorded using mediocre-at-best equipment. They want the voices of people to come through clearly, so that's where the bulk of their bandwidth allocation goes. Are those lows a musical instrument 90% of viewers can't hear anyway on their lovely phones, road noise, wind, or just someone farting on the mic? Who cares, it's not a priority. Then they make everyone use that solution, because gently caress maintaining multiple answers.

Completely wrong in every single way. Bullshit you've invented in your head.

You can download youtube vids and look at the encoders they use, you know that right?

Youtube currently uses Opus at 3 different bitrates, and AAC-LC at ~128kbps. They use the open-source encoders for each of these. ffmpeg LAVF for AAC (which is meh compared to apple's or fraunhoffer). And the standard open-source encoder for Opus, because opus is an open-source codec, the successor to Vorbis.

Youtube does not have a special encoder for farting into microphones. They prefer to send you ~128kbps Opus, which is acoustically transparent for music with the vast majority of people & samples, and only send you lower bitrate or AAC if your connection sucks or your device can't decode Opus.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im not sure why Youtube came up as I wasnt using it, but interesting all the same.

music is definitely auditioned on all kinds of amazing/lovely speaker setups but for the most part it is still produced at the absolute highest quality they can get for the masters and then if theres glaring issues with the mp3/spotify/whatever compression they might go back and have a look at it again.

my own experience of being in a band and recording a CD and putting it on itunes was that itunes wants the WAVs and they do their own compression. I would imagine spotify is the same and bandcamp is definitely the same since you can choose to download flac or WAV when purchased.