Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
500$ for over sampled audio and re-compressed audio. Very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

High resolution audio is at best just a way to spend money making more lights light up on your equipment but MQA is lossy high res with undefeatable eq applied and an expensive mandatory licensing scheme.

e:

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 11, 2021

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

That at least looks cool...

Our hearing gets worse after eating a big meal, so I assume there will be a lot of audioanorexia in the future

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Not lying when I say that I've been looking for a foobar2000 skin which looks like a Mcintosh amp VU meters and all.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

https://mozzaik-audio.com/ I was shown an ad for this. It's an 8000 euro D class amplifier that also lets you... distort sound according to your personal taste, I guess? I have no idea what to make of this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

Compensation Frequency
This setting enables you to set a starting frequency at which you will reduce speaker distortion. It is essentially an input value for the next setting in the chain.

Speaker Compensation
Once compensation frequency is set the next step is to reduce speaker distortion. The speaker compensation setting does this by producing additional distortion and applying it to the audio signal before it reaches the speakers. The setting value will depend on the efficiency of your speakers.

Psychoacoustic Characteristics
This setting is all about how you, as an individual, perceive sound. Like speaker compensation it introduces some intentional distortion to the signal, though distortion in use here is much more complex. Experiment with this setting and let your ears decide what sounds best.

I like the second one "the next step is to reduce speaker distortion. The speaker compensation setting does this .............BY PRODUCING ADDITIONAL DISTORTION..."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The funniest thing about that to me is that the all important knobs are on the back of the unit. Most audiophiles are still in denial that the entirety of "tube sound" is fuzz so simulating it with a class D amp would be admitting failure. Plus no fussy tubes to light up and source from a weird Russian factory.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I like the second one "the next step is to reduce speaker distortion. The speaker compensation setting does this .............BY PRODUCING ADDITIONAL DISTORTION..."

This concept actually works for reduction of linear distortion. It’s patented, by someone who is very respected and has been used for concert systems for quite some time.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20070223713A1/en

https://web.archive.org/web/20100905123918/http://www.eaw.com/products/nt/brochure2/gunness.html

Section 8.2 of this shows the benefit on a nice graph.
https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/Know_How/Literature/Papers/Green%20Speaker%20Design%20Part%202.pdf

You can’t achieve it by just fiddling with some knobs while listening, though. It needs planning, measurement and analysis from the design stage of the speaker in question.

Yet another example of someone misunderstanding the concept. Or, understanding it and realising how easily audiophiles are separated from their money.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ well blow me down. That first link goes into a lot of depth and detail about the million possible things which can affect a speaker system, it really drills down. Impressive that they've managed to even address a tiny amount of that.

...and that amp with the knobs is going to be able to do none of that :v:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

https://mozzaik-audio.com/ I was shown an ad for this. It's an 8000 euro D class amplifier that also lets you... distort sound according to your personal taste, I guess? I have no idea what to make of this.

"Six knobs.
Infinite possibilities"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rude of them to steal the tagline from my upcoming fanfiction anthology.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As much as I hate to be the guy asking real questions, this is probably the best place to ask. Anyone know offhand a passable ~$20 usb dac I could use to hook up some powered speakers to a Raspberry Pi 400? It doesn't have any native analog out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

As much as I hate to be the guy asking real questions, this is probably the best place to ask. Anyone know offhand a passable ~$20 usb dac I could use to hook up some powered speakers to a Raspberry Pi 400? It doesn't have any native analog out.

Would any generic usb phone audio dongle do the job?

Google search for "Comsol USB-C to 3.5mm Audio Cable 1m Black" and find a supplier or equivalent product in the country and currency of your choice.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 13, 2021

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Would any generic usb phone audio dongle do the job?

Google search for "Comsol USB-C to 3.5mm Audio Cable 1m Black" and find a supplier or equivalent product in the country and currency of your choice.

Apple’s USB-C to 3.5mm is £9 in the UK and measures insanely good by any standard. It’s a little quiet perhaps but that’s not an issue if it’s going to an amplifier:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/apple-usb-c-to-3-5-mm-headphone-jack-adapter.23420/reviews

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah if literally all you need is to acquire a 3.5mm jack output basically any USB to 3.5mm adaptor is probably going to work. You can't use a USB-C dongle on the Pi 4 I think since the USB-C port on it is just for the power supply.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

USB-A to USB-C adapters are cheap and plentiful. Get the Apple dongle, it's good and inexpensive.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You can only ever listen to your music from now on on vinyl, cassette, CD or MiniDisc. What do you choose?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MiniDisc obviously.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

njsykora posted:

MiniDisc obviously.

My man

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I loved minidisc. Such a fun format that got completely ruined by Sony’s boneheaded business decisions.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I miss minidisc a lot, it owned

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Would definitely roll back to Minidisc if I could only have one option.

I mean, solid state MP3 players are great, but the recording options on Minidisc are a plus.

Also, I just think they're neat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If we went back to Minidisc I'd wear one in a belt holster everywhere with cheap cabled IEMs in my pocket. Fairly happily really.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hi-MDs could hold an entire CD uncompressed, or a bunch more compressed, so Minidisc seems the obvious choice.

You would have to get rid of Sony's stupid decisions, like not supporting other compression formats than ATRAC, as well as the boneheaded decision to not allow simple file transfers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Folks would just use pro-Audiophile minidisc players made of special accoustic German plywood (and some cheap electronics) to make writers/players that produced blank minidiscs working with flac equivalent or something.

The Astell & Kern Minidisc player, if you will.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

KozmoNaut posted:

Hi-MDs could hold an entire CD uncompressed, or a bunch more compressed, so Minidisc seems the obvious choice.

You would have to get rid of Sony's stupid decisions, like not supporting other compression formats than ATRAC, as well as the boneheaded decision to not allow simple file transfers.

Hi-MD was what Minidisc always promised it could be. A classic problem when the media creation side of a business hobbled the hardware side.

I was going to buy one then Apple released the gen 3 iPod and Windows support 3 months before Hi-MD launch. If you didn't need to record live the iPod was the much better option.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My portable minidisc players were such beautifully engineered bits of kit that were an utter joy to interact with every single time. The discs themselves were also such satisyfing little items, the whole package was just the best. It's just a pity the tech wasn't quite as good as it should've been until it was too late.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Towards the end you could do linear PCM but gently caress it came way too late

I miss those lil fuckers

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Totally not adding MiniDisc to my ebay saved searches.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

They're pretty sparse nowadays, at least the Hi-MD anyway

You also have to use a hacked version of the software to run on a windows machine

...I haven't done the research on this I swear

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

You can only ever listen to your music from now on on vinyl, cassette, CD or MiniDisc. What do you choose?

How could anyone pick anything apart from Mini Disc? Minidisc is the most portable, sounds great and is crucially, objectively, the coolest format.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A lot of the music I buy from Bandcamp is also available in vinyl or cassette. If it was in minidisc and players were commonly available I'd be buying.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I will shamefully admit I took a quick look for a NetMD last night and holy poo poo they're expensive now!

The worst thing is we had one at work, a leftover from when we used it for audio recordings and of course I didn't claim it before it got thrown out. I'm such a loving idiot.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
this question is missing a necessary amount of context and rules, tbh

how do you get music onto the medium of your choice? Are you allowed to burn CDs/record minidiscs? Or are you limited to music that already exists on the format—commercial minidisc releases and/or mixtapes made by other people?

I don’t think the challenge is exactly fair if you can take the contents of, like, your iTunes library and burn them, etc.

It’s like me choosing “cassette” but then stipulating that I’m allowed to tape albums from Spotify whenever I want.

If you say Minidisc (which owns, btw) then you should be limited to commercial minidisc releases and minidiscs that have been already burned by other people.

And you can’t ask somebody to burn a minidisc or put together a playlist for you. Thems should be the rules.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Also in the "I really wish MiniDisc would have gone further" camp. Such a great format.

I think, had they done something like CD did with also shipping an affordable data-based device, it might have gone a lot further. It was only something like 150MB, but it was a great in-between size without the one-time write or expense of CDRW, but the portability and familiar packaging of a floppy.

I looked into a MD data drive once and it was stupid expensive.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man I'm so glad MiniDisc is overwhelmingly the favorite here! Yes, it absolutely rocks. So much choice when it comes to players/recorders as they're all wildly different, it was like the wild west, zero conformity. Same with the discs, any color you like. And the batteries last forever (AA, Sony of course had to ruin things with their loving gumstick batteries and I've never managed to buy one that lasts).

You can actually use NetMD in a browser now, some genius got it working. I had to install a VM to emulate XP to write files to my Hi-MiniDisc, which worked like a charm but sadly that OLED display is long dead (they're all dead) and the remote only shows the menu in Japanese (it came from Japan).

Yeah I think it was just too expensive, especially with the Hi-MDs, and the software suckkkkked, and CDs/MP3s just killed it. Such a shame. Still you can grab a bargain here or there, and you can even 3D print MD racks. Here's my collection:

Ok Comboomer posted:

how do you get music onto the medium of your choice? Are you allowed to burn CDs/record minidiscs? Or are you limited to music that already exists on the format—commercial minidisc releases and/or mixtapes made by other people?

I don’t think the challenge is exactly fair if you can take the contents of, like, your iTunes library and burn them, etc.

It’s like me choosing “cassette” but then stipulating that I’m allowed to tape albums from Spotify whenever I want.

If you say Minidisc (which owns, btw) then you should be limited to commercial minidisc releases and minidiscs that have been already burned by other people.

And you can’t ask somebody to burn a minidisc or put together a playlist for you. Thems should be the rules.

You absolutely do NOT want to stick with commercial releases, especially for MiniDisc. Most of them were recorded with a worse ATRAC version and don't sound anywhere near as good as recording it yourself via optical in (Bat Out Of Hell sounds like muddy garbage, it's a trash fire, though there is no good mastered version of that album available which is weird).

I think the rules are that you can record onto the format of your choice, unless it's vinyl because everything is released on vinyl these days. You just can't listen to them on your phone or PC, you have to use a dedicated player/deck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what really killed MD, aside from the aforementioned, is that it was eaten on both ends by existing/less cumbersome formats pretty much immediately.

On the one side you had MP3-CD (CD-MP3?). Once you could put 100+ tracks on a CD with your PC burner drive and have a portable CD player read the files, MD’s data storage benefit was obviated by existing, cheaper tech. And with MP3 players taking off so quickly, CD-MP3 became the budget choice. I remember by like 2003-2004 you could get an MP3 capable CD player for under $50.

On the other, HDDs and flash memory matured quickly enough to more or less relegate legacy optical media by the end of the decade and to smother anything relatively new like MD in the crib before it could ever come close to maturity. If you had the money for MD, at least in the US, you had money for an iPod or Zune(lol).

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I interpreted the question as implying that all music would be somehow be available in that format. With your restrictions, CD is probably the only reasonable answer and that's no fun at all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Theris posted:

I interpreted the question as implying that all music would be somehow be available in that format. With your restrictions, CD is probably the only reasonable answer and that's no fun at all.

https://youtu.be/BhX7xXupLak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

2003-2004 is more than 10 years after minidisc came out though. Those are the things that killed it off, sure, but the rot had set in pretty much from the start. Way before napster, before hard drives were big enough for an mp3 collection, before desktop computers could play mp3 files and do something else at the same time almost. If mp3 had never existed, then the cd burner would have finished killing minidisc anyway. It's the whole 'copying a disc can't be more convenient or better quality than tape' restriction that poisoned it from conception, arguably. (E: I mean minidisc to minidisc copying here) It would have stood a chance as a medium if it weren't for that imo.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 15, 2021