Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Anyone looking for a set of kitchen knives, I recommend that they go to the closest restaurant supply store instead. Get a whole bunch of basic, good quality knives for a good price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seconded. Get the knives you need and want, don't buy a knife set. Or come talk to us in GWS, we don't bite. Not without consent at least.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's this Winix True HEPA 4 Stage Air Purifier with Wi-Fi and Additional Filter

It's out of stock online but there were plenty there at the warehouse. I saw someone with one in their cart. I was tempted to grab it but I really can't justify it. Even though I'm a bachelor and my house is probably dirty and needs it.

Please don't grab things from other people's carts. It's very rude.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What the gently caress? That’s an excommunicable offense from the Church.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bum the Sad posted:

Please don't grab things from other people's carts. It's very rude.

:argh:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maybe that kinda poo poo flies at Sam's Club... I don't know, and frankly I don't want to.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i live by the costcode

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Your Costco card is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT. If you can’t uphold its values (plus free refill), you don’t deserve to carry it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But I know they dont want me in the drat club
They even made me show ID
To get inside a Sam's Club

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

thathonkey posted:

i live by the costcode

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

poisonpill posted:

Anyone looking for a set of kitchen knives, I recommend that they go to the closest restaurant supply store instead. Get a whole bunch of basic, good quality knives for a good price

cannot quote this enough

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We have a Chicago cutlery block of knives and while nice, the only knife that gets ANY action is the bread knife.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

fischtick posted:

We have a Chicago cutlery block of knives and while nice, the only knife that gets ANY action is the bread knife.
Do you only eat bread?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Chef Knife
Bread Knife
Pairing Knife

It's all you need

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Chef Knife
Bread Knife
Pairing Knife

It's all you need

are you vegan? do you not cook giant hunks of meat? stabby prongs and carving knife are the best

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yall need to pay respect to the real mvp - the utility knife

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

After 12 years of using a good enough carbon steel Wolfgang Puck infomercial set of knives and various Victorinox fibrox knives, all of which I kept reasonably sharp, I don't regret my $400 Henckels Zwilling Pro set I bought at Costco one bit.

Really though, the Victorinox Fibrox are very good for the price, much better than the look of their handle suggests.

Go to the kitchen knife thread if you want to get recommended Fibrox or read endless discussion of nerds debating which ultra-niche Japanese knife to buy.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i got 3 fibrox they are great knives for the price. now i need to learn how to sharpen them though i got the whetstone just need to get off my rear end

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

Do you only eat bread?

You'd think so by looking at me.
Bread knife.
Paring knife.
Japanese chef's knife (knives, my wife knows a knife guy and I get them as gifts sometimes)
6" Victorinox for the kid to help with prep.

We're practically birdatarians, so there's not a lot of meat slicing going on. What red meat we eat is mainly stuff like flank steak or chuck in stew/chili form, so there's nearly zero need for the row of steak knives on the block o' knives.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I only ever find myself using a chef's knife, and a serrated knife for things like tomatoes.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

FCKGW posted:

We bought a couple of the Winx air purifiers back then the wildfires we’re bad here in CA. One in each bedroom and one in the main living area. They’re completely silent and go into a bedtime mode where they turn off the LEDs which is nice.

if you fart in the same room as one it will pick it up within a couple seconds, turn the LED red and start filtering like crazy, it’s pretty funny.

It absolutely hates when I cook with even a smidge of wine. I like to watch it go all "RED ALERT RED ALERT" after a fart, too.

Look, I take my entertainment where I can get it.

Also, be aware: The C545 and the C555 do NOT use the same filters.
The C545 is a smaller S type filter that I had a bitch and a half of a time trying to find.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ok but what brand of poop knife do ya'll recommend?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Enos Cabell posted:

Ok but what brand of poop knife do ya'll recommend?

knowing you

https://www.costco.com/craftsman-60v-hedge-trimmer-%2526-one-2.5ah-60v-batteries-with-charger.product.100576913.html

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

schreibs posted:

are you vegan? do you not cook giant hunks of meat? stabby prongs and carving knife are the best

Vegetarian yes

So yeah you might get some value out of a dedicate knife for cheese as well. Thanks for the reminder.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For me the deciding factor on knives are the handles, how they feel for chopping etc. I got a few individual henckel 5 stars because I love their long handles, they’re super comfortable to use.

Back when department stores were a thing you could count on the good brands of knives getting pretty nice discounts a couple times a year.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got a standard Chicago Cutlery set. I use the chef's knife about 95% of the time. I don't make much bread so I don't use that knife often. I like the included steak knives.

I also learned (a little) how to use a honing... thing... and I'm surprised how much those things work. I'll wait until my blades get super dull to the point where it's dangerous before I replace them. :haw:

I'm about to google if air purifiers are worth it. That Costco one sounds amazing.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I only cut bread, whats the knife for me?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

I also learned (a little) how to use a honing... thing... and I'm surprised how much those things work. I'll wait until my blades get super dull to the point where it's dangerous before I replace them. :haw:

If they get dull, you don't replace them, you just take them to a cutlery shop and have them sharpened.

Honing doesn't sharpen the blade, it re-aligns the blade edge. No material is being removed. Actual sharpening removes a bit of blade material to restore the sharp edge.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just buy a whetstone. You should never have to buy more than one chef's knife in your life

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
One thing that all nice knife households need is the knife we call the "gently caress you knife" or the "gently caress off knife". This is the knife you use in one of two situations: ones where you are knowingly using the knife in such a way that if you saw someone else using a good knife for, you'd tell them to go gently caress themselves, or that's the knife you give someone to use if you know they don't treat knives well.

I know it's bad to use the tip to pry open the spice jar, I know it's bad to toss in the dishwasher. I don't do that to my nice knives. This is the knife you don't give a poo poo about. It's almost as important as the good knives we have in our house. This isn't a good knife. The handle sucks, the blade doesn't hold an edge. It hangs on the magnetic knife rack with pride, ready to be abused.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I don't really go into GWS but I have this thread bookmarked, it's great: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

Buy a couple of really nice knives and learn to sharpen yourself or find a local person who will hand sharpen your knives for $5 - $10 a piece. Chances are they have been doing it for years and will do an amazing job and you get to support them.

But if you're lazy there are plenty of mass-produced knives that come sharp as hell and aren't too expensive. The Victorinox paring knives are like $6 and rock solid so you could basically treat them as disposable if you wanted.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fashionably Great posted:

One thing that all nice knife households need is the knife we call the "gently caress you knife" or the "gently caress off knife". This is the knife you use in one of two situations: ones where you are knowingly using the knife in such a way that if you saw someone else using a good knife for, you'd tell them to go gently caress themselves, or that's the knife you give someone to use if you know they don't treat knives well.

I know it's bad to use the tip to pry open the spice jar, I know it's bad to toss in the dishwasher. I don't do that to my nice knives. This is the knife you don't give a poo poo about. It's almost as important as the good knives we have in our house. This isn't a good knife. The handle sucks, the blade doesn't hold an edge. It hangs on the magnetic knife rack with pride, ready to be abused.

We call ours the murder knife because every time we pull it out, someone does something stupid and gets hurt.

It randomly disappeared one day and I haven't seen it in a while. It's probably better that way, we've had no accidents since.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The murder knife in our house is pretty much any random butter knife from the drawer. I'll use 'em to clean out the Roomba, or pry a lid, or get the pull-tab up on a can of tuna or something. We so rarely use them and have so many that I figure nobody's gonna notice the wear and tear.

One more knife I forgot about: a while back I was spatchcocking a turkey and I absentmindedly used my super nice birthday Japanese kitchen knife, which resulted in some horrendous gouges in it. My wife took it to the knife guy, and while he fixed it he's like "give this to your husband and tell him to never do that again." It's an enormously heavy knife, like a cleaver but way more knife-shaped. Comes out a couple times a year. Very intimidating. Sharp as balls, and what doesn't get cut by sharpness gets split open by shear weight.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Fashionably Great posted:

When I was a kid we had a pair of as seen on TV Ginsu knives. We used them for all kinds of dumb things. The forked tip made a good bottle opener, the serrated blades meant you could use them for sawing stuff. One got left outside for awhile and the dog chewed up the handle but it kept on trucking.
I would never have used one for cooking, but drat they were good utility knives.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok so according to PubMed, 7,000,000 people died of air pollution in 2012 and it's the single biggest health risk in the world. Indoor pollutants contributed to 3.8 million deaths annually according to WHO.

Well that sufficiently terrified me enough that I may pick up one for my bedroom and one for my living room. Amazon has them for about $170 so $99 is pretty good.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Ok so according to PubMed, 7,000,000 people died of air pollution in 2012 and it's the single biggest health risk in the world. Indoor pollutants contributed to 3.8 million deaths annually according to WHO.

Well that sufficiently terrified me enough that I may pick up one for my bedroom and one for my living room. Amazon has them for about $170 so $99 is pretty good.

The usual price drag on these is of course the filter, but they do indeed pull their weight. We got a Winix from costco for our basement with the cardio equipment and cat litter boxes, and whenever the boxes get cleaned it goes into RED mode, but within 10-15mins you cannot even tell. Does a great job for dust / smells. of course dont overload it with a room thats too big, but yeah.

Also these are great for noticing that whenever you use your gas burners that the air purifiers will kick in. One of the largest sources of home pollutant particles is your gas burners. YEEhaw.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
We picked up a magical air cleaner box today and it’s doing it’s thing. I even hooked it to the internet and the app over time will tell me whether or not the air is good or bad. High tech.

Also it’s probably leaking our information too.

Also, I’m not a whiskey drinker but I got the cheap but evidently well-regarded bottle of blended Canadian whiskey. I was tempted by the Kirkland Irish whiskey, but I don’t know. Also the Kirkland Irish cream is so cheap and looks fine but... I don’t know.

Found the brown sugar boba ice cream bars this time, and wow. Nice.

Smoked almonds are on sale and good.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

RocketLunatic posted:

Found the brown sugar boba ice cream bars this time, and wow. Nice.

That's an unexpected and welcome combination. I'll look for them!

Probably getting the kid the Body Glove inflatable SUP on my next trip. It's $100 cheaper than Amazon's most favoritest no-name inflatable SUP, and it looks like it's built like a tank.

Picked up the LG 32" Class FHD IPS FreeSync Monitor at $179 to replace my 21" Dell I stole from work like 15 years ago. I was a little turned off that it has a kinda glossy screen, but goddamn do the colors look good on it. It's only 1920x1080, but that's all I need to shift some docs off my laptop screen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FogHelmut posted:

After 12 years of using a good enough carbon steel Wolfgang Puck infomercial set of knives and various Victorinox fibrox knives, all of which I kept reasonably sharp, I don't regret my $400 Henckels Zwilling Pro set I bought at Costco one bit.

Really though, the Victorinox Fibrox are very good for the price, much better than the look of their handle suggests.

Go to the kitchen knife thread if you want to get recommended Fibrox or read endless discussion of nerds debating which ultra-niche Japanese knife to buy.

last time I was in there was 2015 and I was looking for a gift for a now-ex two relationships ago

are Chinese cleavers still hot or are they passe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

I only cut bread, whats the knife for me?

Chef’s knife. Bread knives are only for bread FRESH out of the oven.