Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Michael Shannon's really good in Moss

Michael Shannon's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
"I can't be a part of this, Zod."

"Then what can you be a part of?"

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
All those quotes just sound dull until you imagine Shannon’s eyeball popping out and it’s half screamed

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I saw someone in an unrelated movie discussion group drop the Halo thing and it was even more baffling in a general context. 0 likes, very sad!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aidan_702 posted:

All those quotes just sound dull until you imagine Shannon’s eyeball popping out and it’s half screamed

Delivery is everything

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McCloud posted:

Delivery is everything
Is this is a natural birth pun? Well done if so

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

You bet it was!

McCloud posted:

If it was me I'd have rolled with it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

Yes! And I'm arguing its merits with a ghost.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The hints were there all along...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Register your team now, over the weekend we'll be running Zack Snyder's Halo League with a prize pot of BvS IMAX blu-rays.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have seen one negative review so far, from Scott Mendelson, who wrote quite ridiculously that it is the same exact film with 2 hours of deleted scenes(calls it an assembly cut). But even he says the action is much better, Cyborg is the stand out, and WB should have released this version instead of the one they did.

I am expecting the skeleton of the main plot is basically the same, that Steppenwolf is getting the motherboxes to change Earth and the league has to unite to stop them, but simplifying that to "2 hours of deleted scenes" is so ridiculous it makes me question whether the guy has ever watched movies before.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 15, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have seen one negative review so far, from Scott Mendelson, who wrote quite ridiculously that it is the same exact film with 2 hours of deleted scenes(calls it an assembly cut). But even he says the action is much better, Cyborg is the stand out, and WB should have released this version instead of the one they did.

I am expecting the skeleton of the main plot is basically the same, that Steppenwolf is getting the motherboxes to change Earth and the league has to unite to stop them, but simplifying that to "2 hours of deleted scenes" is so ridiculous it makes me question whether the guy has ever watched movies before.

The guy has been publically dunked on by Snyder so he has an axe to grind.

If he's even throwing the ZSJL a morsel of praise it's a good sign.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How about another review, Murray?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Guys I'm excited to watch the super-hero punch people film. If it's marginally better than the original then I suppose it'll all be worth it. Can't wait for it to be grim and maudlin.

The only thing I'm disappointed about it Hanz Zimmer isn't on this :(

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Guys I'm excited to watch the super-hero punch people film. If it's marginally better than the original then I suppose it'll all be worth it. Can't wait for it to be grim and maudlin.

The only thing I'm disappointed about it Hanz Zimmer isn't on this :(

Mad Max's score has been better than any of Zimmers since that point imo. We are in good hands.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There'll probably be a bunch of callbacks to the Man Of Steel soundtrack. It's 4 hours, they've got to fit Flight in there somewhere!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The MoS soundtrack is gooooood.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Reviews are going up on RT. 75% with 55 reviews in so far.

Typically, total review percent trends down as more come in, but even with that, it's a major boost over the original.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is the same critic (who I've cropped out)

Lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nothing says "postive and hopeful" quite like a film set in World War 1.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Lol just a read a review with a guy complaining that these heroes kill and how thats especially off brand for Wonder Woman.

As if I did not just watch WW and see her kill countless faceless young Germans and stab a man straight through the chest.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At the end of WW she literally has a breakdown and kills like dozens of confused and disoriented jerries.

It's always funny to be when people say WW shouldn't kill because for the last 30 years she's been the member of the Justice League willing to do it when necessary

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

People suddenly care about canon when the characters do something they don't like.

Even if that canon doesn't exist.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, WW is straight-up stone cold compared to most of the JL. She doesn't put up with poo poo, and it owns.

Seems like there are some valid criticisms, though, mostly with the length and that it still is the same fetch-quest story when you look at the broad picture. But, on the positive side, seems like almost everyone thinks expanding on the characters is very good.

Overall, they seem to go "It is definitely a Snyder film, for better or worse, and it mostly comes down to what you think of him," but they generally praise him for being absolutely cemented in bringing his own vision to the screen and kind of make a point on how rare that seems in today's industry.

Like a lot of Snyder films, I think the discussion around this and its relation to Hollywood practices will ultimately be a bigger, longer-lasting point than the movie itself.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This killing thing is so narrowly-focused. Just among superhero stuff, the Avengers kill people all the time. It's a plot point in Civil War that they've killed dozens of people just by accident!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spider-Man literally says "activate kill mode"

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Here's a video review with no spoilers that I think will interest people here, it definitely has me eager to see the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyRz4vq7WKs

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I haven't watched Armchair Auteur in a while, always liked his reviews.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Spider-Man literally says "activate kill mode"

I'm pretty sure every single Avenger has murdered multiple people (/sentient alien persons) in cold blood, but it's okay because there's a snappy quip going along with it - Spider-man might be the only one who hasn't in the films

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

josh04 posted:

Nothing says "postive and hopeful" quite like a film set in World War 1.

To be fair, since the Wonder Woman version of WWI ends with Eric Ludendorff killing the rest of the German High Command, then getting killed himself by a demigod, and then the war stopping due to a divine mandate, it's entirely possible that as a result, Hitler never comes to power and World War II never happens.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Flying Zamboni posted:

Here's a video review with no spoilers that I think will interest people here, it definitely has me eager to see the movie:

You know, I'm always floored by people who dislike Man of Steel but liked Batman v Superman.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

MacheteZombie posted:

I haven't watched Armchair Auteur in a while, always liked his reviews.

Yeah, Dom's stuff is really great, but if you haven't watched him in a while though do check out his Bret V Owen piece - it's a really good video essay.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

brawleh posted:

Yeah, Dom's stuff is really great, but if you haven't watched him in a while though do check out his Bret V Owen piece - it's a really good video essay.

Sweet I'll check that out!

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

To be fair, since the Wonder Woman version of WWI ends with Eric Ludendorff killing the rest of the German High Command, then getting killed himself by a demigod, and then the war stopping due to a divine mandate, it's entirely possible that as a result, Hitler never comes to power and World War II never happens.

I’m pretty sure there’s a newspaper clipping that says a mystery woman liberated a concentration camp in Wonder Woman’s Crime Closet in WW84.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aidan_702 posted:

I'm pretty sure every single Avenger has murdered multiple people (/sentient alien persons) in cold blood, but it's okay because there's a snappy quip going along with it - Spider-man might be the only one who hasn't in the films

Spider-Man's techno suit has definitely autoaimed some aliens

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I’m pretty sure there’s a newspaper clipping that says a mystery woman liberated a concentration camp in Wonder Woman’s Crime Closet in WW84.
Yeah she's smiling with Etta and I think there are some allied soldiers off to the side too.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

Flying Zamboni posted:

Thank you for pointing me towards this guy’s channel. Great stuff so far

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Ultimately art is subjective and it truly only matters what a viewers personal feelings are towards a film, but looking at the RT score right now....

*clears throat*

We were right.

Absolutely monumentally happy for Zack, Deborah, Ray and everyone else whose hard work went into making this a reality.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15/opinions/zack-snyders-justice-league-is-historic-farooqi/index.html

This reviewer is the guy who did the Forbes interview with Fisher that got him fired from Forbes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:siren: reminder :siren:

Tomorrow night, 3/16 at 10P CT, Man of Steel will be streaming in the CineD Discord for anyone who wants to partake in the start of a 3-day Snyder Bender.