Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's depressing when you can't tell the difference between a tv show from 2021 and the Jungle from 1906.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Should have high-lighted a case where a severed limb got into the ground beef, really.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rappaport posted:

Should have high-lighted a case where a severed limb got into the ground beef, really.

Even in this, that's probably a rarity. Focusing on the day to day grinding down and just the lack of safety measures on the job is something everyone can see and understand. If you focus on the time a limb got into the ground beef that's all people will remember.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The part about companies being allowed to opt out of worker comp is loving disgusting.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The whole segment was :capitalism: in a nutshell

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

We got Texas Power Grid as the opener, I think that's the best we could have hoped for this soon!

Meat packing...I think they are top-5 mortality increases since the pandemic. Line cooks also at the top.

When government officials say that we are "essential workers," what they mean is it is "essential for those workers to die so that the economy keeps going."

You already know this first-hand but if you or anyone else would love to be pissed off for the next 63 minutes, check out the latest episode of Citations Needed!

Episode 131: The "Essential Worker" Racket - How 'COVID Hero' Discourse Is Used To Discipline Labor

quote:

"Elon Musk sent a thank-you note to Tesla's workers returning to work," Business Insider squeals. Walmart teams up with UPS to air an ad "thanking essential workers." "Jeff Bezos Just Posted an Open Letter to Amazon Employees About the Coronavirus. Every Smart Business Leader Needs to Read It," insists an article in Inc.

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, corporate leaders, politicians and celebrities have been quick to paint "essential workers," and those often described as "frontline" workers, as heroes — laborers conscripted, presumably against their will, into a wartime-like scenario of heroism and sacrifice as our country battles the ongoing coronavirus scourge.  

The sentiment behind this rhetoric is understandable, especially from everyday people simply trying to express their deep appreciation for the underpaid labor doing the work to feed, house, care for and treat everyone else. But when deployed by powerful politicians and CEOs, the "essential workers as heroes" discourse serves a more sinister purpose: to curb efforts to unionize, preemptively justify mass death of a largely black and brown workforce, protect corporate profits and ultimately discipline labor that for a brief moment in spring of last year, had unprecedented leverage to extract concessions from capital.  

As Wall Street booms and America’s billionaires see an increase of $1.1 trillion in wealth since March 2020 — a 40% increase — while the average worker suffers from unemployment, depression, drug abuse and a loss of healthcare, it’s become increasingly clear that “essential” never meant essential to helping society at large or essential to human care or essential to keeping the bottom from falling out, but essential to keeping the top one percent of the one percent’s wealth and power intact and as it turned out to be the case, massively expanded.

Indeed, 2020 saw the largest transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich in decades, a transfer largely made possible by the essential worker as hero narrative, with little discussion or debate. In March 2020 everyone agreed in this wartime framing that was going to send off millions of poor people to their deaths for a vague, undecided greater good of the quote-unquote "economy," when really it was for the seamless maintenance of Wall Street profits.

On this episode, we explore the origins of the concept of "essential work" and those deemed "essential workers"; how it's been used in the past to discipline labor during wartime; how hero narratives provide an empty, head-patting verbal tip in lieu of worker protection and higher pay; and why so few in our media ask the more urgent question of all: whether or not low wage retail, food, farming, and healthcare workers ever wanted to be heroes in the first place.

Our guest in Ronald Jackson, a worker and organizer with Warehouse Workers For Justice.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

seaborgium posted:

Even in this, that's probably a rarity. Focusing on the day to day grinding down and just the lack of safety measures on the job is something everyone can see and understand. If you focus on the time a limb got into the ground beef that's all people will remember.

I apologize, it was a lame joke. The book The Jungle which was referenced in the post above mine caused an uproar not because it detailed the horrible working conditions in the meat industry in general, but because it contained bits where human meat was mixed in with animal meat, to be sold on to consumers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
What's funny about The Jungle is that while it shed light on the horrors of the meat packing industry and mobilized people to fight for government regulation, which is all it's commonly remembered for, that wasn't really even close to the author's intent.

It was like if people revered Romeo & Juliet only because of its portrayal of the average everyday struggles of 16th century Italian aristocracy. Our, if they read Fahrenheit 451 and somehow thought it was about censorship.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I remember hearing that a lot of the details about meat packing in The Jungle were just made up rather than being actual reporting on conditions, but when all those things were written, everybody realized there was no guarantee that any of that stuff wasn't happening, so it caused a panic.

Still, these are actual horrible conditions that desperately need to be addressed.

I wonder if Oliver will bother reporting on what's happening with Griddy as a result of the Texas blackouts. It's not a very big issue, but it could be an opportunity to talk about Gritty as well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah the texas opener didn't even get into the electricity as commodity bullshit (Griddy!!) and exactly how the lack of regulation led to this as well as the natural gas producers and speculators profiting wildly off of this. The recent ERCOT meeting deck release is a very good source of info too. The whole 'fox news crows about green new deal' is from how Texas went in to sunday night with like 25 or 30GW of generational capacity down, 14GW or so of which was wind. On monday however it was 50GW down, 18GW or so from wind.

Also the latest 'Well Theres Your Problem' podcast was on it as well, though I don't know if the report I'm referencing came out in time for their production schedule...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I'm certainly learning new and terrifying things about USA today. Like, Chrissy's Court was a thing? And apparently Jessica Chastain was not in the Jurassic World movies?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main segment seems like a lot of news that was already widely known, cops love building up a fantasy of getting involved in ultra violence that they then go out and create by brutally attacking innocent people with their big toys with minimal impediments and receive no consequences. Defund the police, get social workers and nonviolent response teams for 9/11 calls, make police accountable, all that.

Cop Rock seems kinda fun.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cop Rock seems kinda fun.

It wasn't. I wanted to like it, but it was not good.

Oddly enough, when he was setting up the segment, I realized he was probably going to do a Cop Rock reference, and then he did.

It was an ambitious project that sounded good on paper, but having a TV musical with original songs every week just can't work unless you have multiple teams of writers constantly writing and scoring. Add to that making it also a Law & Ordet show? It's failure was predetermined.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I also saw the Cop Rock reference was coming right before it happened. And for the record, this is the best Cop Rock clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLm5Sn1cMyQ

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9G-rXdTZmc

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh I get why it failed. The inherent silliness of musicals doesn't mix well with the implicit seriousness of a police procedural, and cranking out songs is hard. I think the most successful show at cranking out a high density of original songs throughout the show's run is Phineas and Ferb. Used to be that variety shows relied on borrowing the rights to songs to keep going.

I looked up a few other songs, and while there's a lot of trash, there's some neat ones in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEiBT1kqQOo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It failed by being too early. If they did Cop Rock now it'd be an internet sensation.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think Cop Rock probably failed mostly because it was really, really silly and bad

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

It failed by being too early. If they did Cop Rock now it'd be an internet sensation.

Quibi shoulda shot their shot...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Most unrealistic part of this isn't the singing but the fact that the cops are arresting a bunch of rich white people for buying drugs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, Rick Scott and his efforts to decrease welfare. Might as well dig up this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0TIyuGemAQ

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I didn't realize this show was back so I'm trying to get caught up.

The episode about meatpacking plants was outstanding. The part about Pilgrim's Pride founder Lonnie Pilgrim makes me desperately want to believe Hell is real so he can go there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtu.be/br0NW9ufUUw

Remember those clocks

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Everyone's real whiny in the spring, but it's real loving great in the fall when all of a sudden you start repaying your sleep debt.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I wish congress would just abolish people complaining about daylight saving time, already.

i’ve been hearing them thinking of abolishing daylight saving time altogether since the 90s, the same poo poo every year. It’s the only hobby some people have, bitching about having to pay attention to their clocks twice a year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pwn posted:

I wish congress would just abolish people complaining about daylight saving time, already.

i’ve been hearing them thinking of abolishing daylight saving time altogether since the 90s, the same poo poo every year. It’s the only hobby some people have, bitching about having to pay attention to their clocks twice a year.

The current talk I hear is keeping it on full time, which I'm not entirely sure how that's different than removing it

Other than being stupid vs the rest of the world, which I suppose is the American way

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Daylight saving loving owns and I refuse to hear a bad word about it :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Almost every clock I have or see automatically adjusts based on an internet connection, so I don't know or care about daylight savings anymore. It can stay if it wants, but I wouldn't even notice if someone didn't say something to me at this point.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Azhais posted:

The current talk I hear is keeping it on full time, which I'm not entirely sure how that's different than removing it

Other than being stupid vs the rest of the world, which I suppose is the American way

Removing it means it’s perpetually dark an hour earlier.

Keeping it means it’s perpetually dark an hour later.

Pretty sure most people prefer an extra hour of daylight at 6pm rather than at 5am.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm not a fan when it's still light out at 9pm in the summer. :colbert:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Removing it means it’s perpetually dark an hour earlier.

Keeping it means it’s perpetually dark an hour later.

Pretty sure most people prefer an extra hour of daylight at 6pm rather than at 5am.

Exactly. Not changing the clocks today would mean that, come around the Solstice in June, in many parts of the country, sunrise would be starting to crack in the 3am hour. And leaving them set where they are now year-round would mean darkness in the 3 pm hour come December. Neither of those things sound enjoyable to me. 3 o’clock is a threshold for sunrise/sunset, arbitrary though it may seem.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Counterpoint: the 8:30pm beach sunset is magical and the best time for an ocean swim

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

pwn posted:

In California we voted for Sacramento to address it a couple years ago, wonder whatever happened to that.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Oh gently caress it's a Tucker Carlson episode this week, get your popcorn the Swanson heir is gonna throw one hell of a poo poo show, can't wait :munch:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yeah it's too much. Just get dark already so nobody can accuse me of day drinking!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That was quite the segment. John doesn't say anything about Tucker that folk here wouldn't already know, but seeing him signal boost the laundering of white supremacy through a major media talking head to his wider audience is still something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, Rick Scott and his efforts to decrease welfare. Might as well dig up this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0TIyuGemAQ

It's so American that the greatest welfare fraudster in history is a Republican who got super rich off and it keeps getting elected into office.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm surprised they didn't bring up Tucker's head writer being fired after reporters found his account on a white nationalist site.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...4af1_story.html

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Skippy McPants posted:

That was quite the segment. John doesn't say anything about Tucker that folk here wouldn't already know, but seeing him signal boost the laundering of white supremacy through a major media talking head to his wider audience is still something.

The trademarked slogan for Carlson's show is "Standing up for what's Right".
They are not even pretending to be subtle about it. The dogwhistle is a bullhorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm surprised they didn't bring up Tucker's head writer being fired after reporters found his account on a white nationalist site.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...4af1_story.html

Yeah I was thinking this every time a clip came up.