Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ghostnuke posted:

FB is useless for me, everyone is too protective of "their" spots. It's just a bunch of people asking where the fish are and then some goober saying "have you checked the water? lolllololololl"

Well that is basically every fishing discussion on the internet ever. Its a real toxic shitheap in this regard. Folks are so protection of basic information that most fishing groups on any platform turn into "post your fish", post your fishing meme", and grift your sponsor/guide service. Its all unhelpful and toxic.

I had out public lake information like candy. 9 times out of 10 "Your spots" are just the normal public lake point, creek, timber, and ledge that everyone else can look at a lake map and figure out. Your secret spot is the secret spot of every fisherman who halfway knows what they are doing on the lake. I once got a death threat for posting map screenshots for WHITE BASS SPOTS during the white bass spawn.

This deep rooted toxicity is hard to fight against. Fishermen will continue to have a FYGM attitude until several generations die off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Otoh once you do find a spot where you can fish in peace without assholes in bass boats zipping around swamping canoes while blasting Nickelback and throwing beer cans overboard, you understand why maybe some people don't want to advertise it on the Internet.

Same with good hunting spots and range spots. A few friends and I finally have a spot that doesn't look like a redneck landfill and we're not telling a soul.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

EvilJoven posted:

Otoh once you do find a spot where you can fish in peace without assholes in bass boats zipping around swamping canoes while blasting Nickelback and throwing beer cans overboard, you understand why maybe some people don't want to advertise it on the Internet.

Same with good hunting spots and range spots. A few friends and I finally have a spot that doesn't look like a redneck landfill and we're not telling a soul.

This. I live in a pretty populated area and most of the areas I can access get swamped if there's any hint of fish there. Hell, if there's any hint of anything at all, I've had people come and swim in my fishing spots (gross, the water is ... not clean) and other stuff that makes me have to drive around a lot. I'm happy giving out general areas and tips but I like to fish solo for my mental health. People don't have to be assholes about it though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

None of those exist in the state of texas. They only exist in people's imaginations here.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I've had nothing but positive experiences with people on and off th water in east texas. Super helpful nice and encouraging

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

LegionAreI posted:

This. I live in a pretty populated area and most of the areas I can access get swamped if there's any hint of fish there. Hell, if there's any hint of anything at all, I've had people come and swim in my fishing spots (gross, the water is ... not clean) and other stuff that makes me have to drive around a lot. I'm happy giving out general areas and tips but I like to fish solo for my mental health. People don't have to be assholes about it though.

Last spring I set up and got ready to cast and some dickhead kid rowed his kayak right in front of me before I could.

I scoffed and moved about 30 feet and then cast. He paddled over on top of my two lines...and then his whole loving family joined him. There were too many for me to take out with a 4 ounce pyramid weight to the head before one got away. They hopped into the water, only about 3-4 feet deep there, and started splashing around.

So I shook my head where they could see, grumbled, cursed, moved away again. This time they were running right into my lines as they paddled back.

Thank you for listening to my story about the time I made some soccer mom mad by finally snapping and yelling "ALL THIS FUCKIN' WATER AND YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW ME AROUND???" at her precious 13 year olds.

Tune in next time for the tale of how I almost brained a ten year old with a cast net which was already in the air as he jumped into the goddamn water right where I was throwing it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I enjoy the overprotective folks that don't understand metadata and geotagging.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sickening posted:

Well that is basically every fishing discussion on the internet ever. Its a real toxic shitheap in this regard. Folks are so protection of basic information that most fishing groups on any platform turn into "post your fish", post your fishing meme", and grift your sponsor/guide service. Its all unhelpful and toxic.

I had out public lake information like candy. 9 times out of 10 "Your spots" are just the normal public lake point, creek, timber, and ledge that everyone else can look at a lake map and figure out. Your secret spot is the secret spot of every fisherman who halfway knows what they are doing on the lake. I once got a death threat for posting map screenshots for WHITE BASS SPOTS during the white bass spawn.

This deep rooted toxicity is hard to fight against. Fishermen will continue to have a FYGM attitude until several generations die off.
I've got my public spots and my private spots. I don't post the private spots on the internet because spot burn is real for small stream trout. I'll teach anyone who will listen how to read the beach and find the best spots, because they change constantly. Lake fishing is pretty obvious too.

My favorite winter trout spot I know nobody fishes because I went there on the opener in January and again in march. I saw my own tracks from January in the snow and nobody else's. The half-mile closest to the nearest parking spot gets fished, but virtually nobody goes farther than that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

highme posted:

I enjoy the overprotective folks that don't understand metadata and geotagging.
Yup. Facebook and google scrub metadata so you have to dig up stuff from more niche forums, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My favorite crabbing spot is safe because people are too lazy to launch a kayak and it’s too far to bring a boat from other areas.

It also happens to be the closest shoreline to my house.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I’ll reiterate that if you put forth even a modicum of effort to traverse slightly tougher terrain you will exclude almost all fishermen and women

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

rap music posted:

I’ll reiterate that if you put forth even a modicum of effort to traverse slightly tougher terrain you will exclude almost all fishermen and women

my favorite "secret" spot is on state game lands; you just have to drive into a dove field, park at the back, and walk about 60 yards through the woods to it. I've never even see tire tracks there.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Missouri is full of state maintained lakes and pounds that you typically had to walk a half to full mile to get to, over grass trails that where mowed regularly and I very rarely saw people out there. The hike was so easy I drug my 60 lb kayak and gear the distance with little issue. These places where get no trash, no pressure, super quiet and a ton of fish to catch and release.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want to up my bass game by replacing my two cheapass Ugly Stik GX2 rods with something better. Maybe something that lets me finesse/jig a bit, that I can pair with my two Shimano Sahara reels?

I love my Lew’s Mach Crush rod/reel combo for bass fishing. Would a couple of Mach II rods be a good way to go? Or is there something else better that I could try?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I want to up my bass game by replacing my two cheapass Ugly Stik GX2 rods with something better. Maybe something that lets me finesse/jig a bit, that I can pair with my two Shimano Sahara reels?

I love my Lew’s Mach Crush rod/reel combo for bass fishing. Would a couple of Mach II rods be a good way to go? Or is there something else better that I could try?

I am also a fan of my Sahara's. I found that this rod to be the best finesse rod I have ever had at the price point. If you can pay a little more its worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XUECPBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its medium/light fast tip. When I finesse fish with ned rigs, light jigs, and the like, its the rod I primarily use. Hell, I even pull it out to vertically fish for crappie on light line. Its just got the perfect amount of strength while still being light action for bass and I have looked for years.

The main issue I have had with finesse rods is that getting something too light means that its too flimsy and feels totally wrong. I also find if I get a rod that's medium/heavy, its just not sensitive enough for finesse stuff. I also find that almost all finesse rods these days are going with tiny rear end guides that cause issues with braid + leader knots fitting through them. This rod has none of those issues.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
If you can find an Expride 7’ med/fast in stock anywhere I think that’s going to be pretty much a perfect rod for what you describe. I have a bunch of Dobyns casting rods and they’re good for the money but tend to run a little lower on power for a given rating. I’m not sure if you’d be better off with a 2 power or 3 power.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

*suddenly breaks into thread, breathing hard*

my dude *puff* *puff* have you tried st croix?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

*Slams in behind Ghostnuke*

Have you considered a rod that is so old the markings are worn off that you bought at a flea market?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

*flexes into thread*

Have you considered importing a jdm megabass rod? :frogc00l:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sickening posted:

I am also a fan of my Sahara's. I found that this rod to be the best finesse rod I have ever had at the price point. If you can pay a little more its worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XUECPBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its medium/light fast tip. When I finesse fish with ned rigs, light jigs, and the like, its the rod I primarily use. Hell, I even pull it out to vertically fish for crappie on light line. Its just got the perfect amount of strength while still being light action for bass and I have looked for years.

The main issue I have had with finesse rods is that getting something too light means that its too flimsy and feels totally wrong. I also find if I get a rod that's medium/heavy, its just not sensitive enough for finesse stuff. I also find that almost all finesse rods these days are going with tiny rear end guides that cause issues with braid + leader knots fitting through them. This rod has none of those issues.

Holy poo poo Dobyns Rods is headquartered right near where I live.

This looks great. I’m wondering if I should get one of these plus a medium or medium-heavy action rod for bigger fish. If I get a medium-light rod, would there be any major benefit in getting a medium rod to go with it, or is it more cost-effective to go straight to medium-heavy after that? I guess this depends on the specific rods in question, but in terms of Dobyns Fury Series rods (or I guess Champion Series if I find another $150 lying around in my couch cushions :lol:), would I be better off going with medium or medium-heavy for bass?

Ghostnuke posted:

I have not. Are they good for bass?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

This looks great. I’m wondering if I should get one of these plus a medium or medium-heavy action rod for bigger fish. If I get a medium-light rod, would there be any major benefit in getting a medium rod to go with it, or is it more cost-effective to go straight to medium-heavy after that? I guess this depends on the specific rods in question, but in terms of Dobyns Fury Series rods (or I guess Champion Series if I find another $150 lying around in my couch cushions :lol:), would I be better off going with medium or medium-heavy for bass?

If it were me, that is what I would do. I would prefer some specialized rods instead of multiple all purpose rods.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I. M. Gei posted:

A medium/fast spinning combo and a medium heavy/fast baitcast combo is kind of the canonical two-rod setup, for pretty good reason. You can throw all but the lightest finesse baits for bass on a medium power spinning rod, and it'll be more versatile than a medium light. But you could definitely do a medium light and a medium heavy. I still think a medium and a medium heavy is the best one-two punch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I simply have no clue why people keep choosing medium and heavier for finesse fishing. That being said, some people are really passionate about it. It usually leads to conversation where people are throwing stuff you would use a baitcaster for and leads me to being more confused.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I. M. Gei posted:

They definitely have bass specific lines, but decide what power/action you want and then find it on their site. Might be a rod for walleye or whatever but the fish don't care what's printed on your rod.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Friendly reminder for y'all since (for me) it's pond feeding time again. This pond is great catch & release for Bluegill, Bullheads, and Bass. I've dumped hundreds of pounds of food into it over the past few years and the results have been great. PM me before you show up and I'll probably feed you alcohol and let you use my bathroom. I've been told it's really good fishing and watching people toss lines in and immediately pull out fish kinda confirms it for me. Valparaiso, Indiana, USA.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sickening posted:

I simply have no clue why people keep choosing medium and heavier for finesse fishing. That being said, some people are really passionate about it. It usually leads to conversation where people are throwing stuff you would use a baitcaster for and leads me to being more confused.

I should’ve clarified, the heavier rod is meant to be for more standard bass fishing and not necessarily for finesse.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

Friendly reminder for y'all since (for me) it's pond feeding time again. This pond is great catch & release for Bluegill, Bullheads, and Bass. I've dumped hundreds of pounds of food into it over the past few years and the results have been great. PM me before you show up and I'll probably feed you alcohol and let you use my bathroom. I've been told it's really good fishing and watching people toss lines in and immediately pull out fish kinda confirms it for me. Valparaiso, Indiana, USA.

I might have to take you up on this sometime over the summer as the pond fishing around me in Chicagoland is less than desirable from what I have found, largely due to over-fishing and lack of public access.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Texas have these really dumb archaic laws about transporting gamefish between bodies of water. Not that anyone is really going to catch you, just funny how the state of texas cries "illegal!" in doing such a basic thing.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Sickening posted:

Texas have these really dumb archaic laws about transporting gamefish between bodies of water. Not that anyone is really going to catch you, just funny how the state of texas cries "illegal!" in doing such a basic thing.

Says the state that has a booming game farm and exotic hunting industry. Wonder how the zebras and kudu made their way across the ocean.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

charliebravo77 posted:

I might have to take you up on this sometime over the summer as the pond fishing around me in Chicagoland is less than desirable from what I have found, largely due to over-fishing and lack of public access.

I've been told this is the best pond in the area. I'm only a few days into this years feeding and I've already got a couple dozen plus ~2-8" Bluegill coming up to feed and one ??? sized Bass. The Bullheads will show up once it gets a bit warmer. Definitely let me know!

Sickening posted:

Oh no i'm only adding more fish via giving them LOTS of food so lots of babies survive and grow and go on to breed and also turn into food for bigger fish (and the 18" Snapper, thing is a beast). I've gotten the average Bluegill size and their population way way up.

Last year the biggest catches I heard about or saw were around 8" Bluegill, 10" Bullhead, and a 4lb Bass (dunno if they're Largemouth or Smallies). There's only one guy who seems to actually take fish home to eat but he's going to have a real hard time overfishing this spot on his own and LOL at eating fish from a runoff pond that also taste like fish food.

This is basically just a way for me to "keep" fish bigger than i'm willing to set up aquariums for, but it's had the side-effect of making my pond a great fishing spot.

Edit: The "Semento's Napoli Cafe" in the top right corner is within walking distance and will sell you one of the best Reuben Sandwiches you've ever eaten.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 15, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

holy poo poo there are more trout fishing places near me than I thought

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/troutmap.phtml

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

holy poo poo there are more trout fishing places near me than I thought

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/troutmap.phtml

Texas trout fishing is about the biggest waste of time and resources the state has as far as stocking goes. Almost every marker on that map are places that the fish are going to end up be caught or dead in a week.

You also get to experience the shoulder to shoulder crowds gathered to fish the same day these fish are stocked. Nothing quite beats the experience of grown men fighting children to fish these events.

No, I am totally not bitter at all about texas's really stupid fish stocking traditions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I mean, why would focus on baitfish and small panfish to keep local ponds and creeks sustainable? Nah, lets just stock them once every 5 years and let any small body of water with any pressure die off. Lets make sure nothing larger than a small bluegill can feed itself year round.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Plus stockers are horrible eating fish unless they've had a year of eating bugs to develop some flavor which never happens

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Plus stockers are horrible eating fish unless they've had a year of eating bugs to develop some flavor which never happens

:same:

If you want to fish for trout the only sensible thing to do is go out of state in conditions they can actually live in. Oklahoma has several in the south part of the state.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I can do that

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

:same:

If you want to fish for trout the only sensible thing to do is go out of state in conditions they can actually live in. Oklahoma has several in the south part of the state.

Yeah southern OK apparently has hella trout spots. Where I'm at in the state there's one place in 100 miles. Still cool though.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Untrustable posted:

Yeah southern OK apparently has hella trout spots. Where I'm at in the state there's one place in 100 miles. Still cool though.

When i was stationed in DC it was basically two hours drive to get on the trout, either to the Shenandoah for brookies or up into PA limestone country. Worth it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

When i was stationed in DC it was basically two hours drive to get on the trout, either to the Shenandoah for brookies or up into PA limestone country. Worth it.

I've hit those streams in the Shenandoah. It's amazing you can be 1.5 hours from DC and completely alone on water nobody ever fishes if you're willing to hike like a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

I've hit those streams in the Shenandoah. It's amazing you can be 1.5 hours from DC and completely alone on water nobody ever fishes if you're willing to hike like a mile.

Theres a fire road that runs through the national park along the Rapidan that you can literally park and fish a few miles of native brookie stream, pool after pool after pool. Over the years i fished it i would see more bear hunters than other fisherman. You can also camp and hunt there as it's a management area in the midst of a national park. I drug a popup camper up there and stayed a week once. You can find it on a topo, hopefully its still as untouched as it was 15 years ago and someone here can enjoy it.