Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

72nd bday virgin posted:

I got in trouble once because someone saw that I had an email folder named "Unimportant" that 90% of the emails I got filtered into, because I'm on a relatively very small department of an enormous company that has a policy of keeping us in the loop on all incident reports and new releases and bugs from the primary department that everything else is build around, and none of those emails would ever be even remotely relevant to anything I will ever work on here. Apparently it is disrespectful to others to label their work unimportant, so now I filter them straight into deleted instead

They saw it when I shared my screen and they commented on the unread email count in it being over 5000

My folder for that is called "guff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mojo Jojo posted:

My folder for that is called "guff"

My work had a program called GUF "Good Use oF". God bless English being the international language of communication.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Marmaduke! posted:

The penultimate day of project management training today. Over the weekend they fired the trainer. The emphasis of today's training is to plan for success...

The longer I've been around the more I believe that there is no such thing as planning for success because someone will always find a way to completely screw up everything, even if they weren't trying to do so.

titty_baby_ posted:

Yeah gf is doing her masters and made some less then honest choices on TurboTax to offset this

I'm dreading opening up my wife's W2 and seeing the damage the MBA program does to our taxes. Under no circumstances will we end up in the next tax bracket up, but I expect we'll probably have to pay this year because our returns have been extremely low the last few years anyway.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Turtle Sandbox posted:

You work security, why do you even give any shits? You aren't military, you arent guarding anything of actual value, you dont need to follow the general orders of a sentry. Slack rear end and if anyone every comes for whatever you are "securing", help them take it.
This man has worked security.

It's a dope job if you don't give a poo poo because nobody expects you to actually do anything except maybe walk around and look at stuff.

When I was a guard I never once did anything except hang around and talk to whoever was there. Got to chill with Richard Petty and The Big Show. Both great guys

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 15, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

please stop sending me new priority work at 2 am on a sunday night
I am not salaried
I am not doing this for you at 2 am
stop continuing to work until 2 am to have something ready for me when I'm not even in until the next day
poo poo can wait

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

please stop sending me new priority work at 2 am on a sunday night
I am not salaried
I am not doing this for you at 2 am
stop continuing to work until 2 am to have something ready for me when I'm not even in until the next day
poo poo can wait

Last Sunday my boss sent out a meeting invite for the following Monday morning at like 9 AM with a spreadsheet he wanted us to review and have questions to go over. To make it even better, half of the prospective attendees are people who don't really even get online until 9 AM or later (and thus, wouldn't even see the invite until later), so it was no surprise at all to me when only two people showed up to the meeting...

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gin_Rummy posted:

Last Sunday my boss sent out a meeting invite for the following Monday morning at like 9 AM with a spreadsheet he wanted us to review and have questions to go over. To make it even better, half of the prospective attendees are people who don't really even get online until 9 AM or later (and thus, wouldn't even see the invite until later), so it was no surprise at all to me when only two people showed up to the meeting...

Fortunately this at least wasn't obligating me to do it at 2 AM. Not surprised nobody would show for your setup, though.
Bonus followup: half of what was provided is marred by sleep-deprivation fuckups so I have to go back and redo a bunch that was given to me wrong.
Timed the same as our regular work, of course.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I work an hourly job(4/10s) and I love getting a text from boss on the group chat at 5:00, Thursday night, "Hey does anybody want to work OT this weekend?"

Lmao bitch, I'ma enjoy my three day weekend.

If dude had hit us up Mon-Thurs morning, I might've said 'sure'.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

A company I worked for had a public IP address that listened for data. Which wouldn't be a big deal, but it accepted ANY data, no matter the type or source, and inserted it directly into the critical production database.

For non-techies, this would be like running an open pipe from the middle of your living room to an outdoor festival portapotty.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

We used to do a monthly district level meeting which comprised about 15 of us. It was stupid, but it was an excuse to get the company to pay for lunch, and a couple of the old guys in our group loved it because it was a big happy socializing event for them.

Obviously we stopped doing them about a year ago, but ever since, the guy who organizes the meeting has been OBSESSED with getting them running again.

It started this past summer, little emails like "Just gauging interest - if we do another meeting in person would you attend?" and "Would love to see everyone in person again, much more productive!".

We would be cramming into a tiny conference room, some people would be travelling across state borders, and these meetings never were productive anyway. But it's a big party for a couple of old farts, so they're missing these things like crazy.

Today we got the email "Looking to schedule the April District meeting in person, can we get some feedback?"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A Fancy Hat posted:

We used to do a monthly district level meeting which comprised about 15 of us. It was stupid, but it was an excuse to get the company to pay for lunch, and a couple of the old guys in our group loved it because it was a big happy socializing event for them.

Obviously we stopped doing them about a year ago, but ever since, the guy who organizes the meeting has been OBSESSED with getting them running again.

It started this past summer, little emails like "Just gauging interest - if we do another meeting in person would you attend?" and "Would love to see everyone in person again, much more productive!".

We would be cramming into a tiny conference room, some people would be travelling across state borders, and these meetings never were productive anyway. But it's a big party for a couple of old farts, so they're missing these things like crazy.

Today we got the email "Looking to schedule the April District meeting in person, can we get some feedback?"

E:

Goddamnit, you're the Trump thread superstar, not the r/relationships thread superstar (Cumshitter)

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Crackbone posted:

A company I worked for had a public IP address that listened for data. Which wouldn't be a big deal, but it accepted ANY data, no matter the type or source, and inserted it directly into the critical production database.

For non-techies, this would be like running an open pipe from the middle of your living room to an outdoor festival portapotty.

NBD, just up your storage space and put a "sensitive content" warning on the database UI.

I'm curious though, what sort of stuff did you get?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Fancy Hat posted:

Dang that's no good. I've never understood coworkers so bored that meetings are a social highlight of the week. We had one odd guy who kept butter at his desk, would constantly be looking at a spreadsheet of retirement planning (I wasn't trying to snoop, he'd pull it up in a conference room projector screen), and put a for-sale sign on a motorcycle in front of the building, which was fun as this is a corporate campus and that was way out of place but none of our management wanted to tell him to knock it off.

After retiring and moving with his wife to their second house two hours away, he'd still periodically show up to wander the halls and confuse coworkers who wondered why he was there. He has unlimited free time, good chunk of income, access to every book/tv show/movie ever made, and couldn't think of anything else to do?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang that's no good. I've never understood coworkers so bored that meetings are a social highlight of the week. We had one odd guy who kept butter at his desk, would constantly be looking at a spreadsheet of retirement planning (I wasn't trying to snoop, he'd pull it up in a conference room projector screen), and put a for-sale sign on a motorcycle in front of the building, which was fun as this is a corporate campus and that was way out of place but none of our management wanted to tell him to knock it off.

After retiring and moving with his wife to their second house two hours away, he'd still periodically show up to wander the halls and confuse coworkers who wondered why he was there. He has unlimited free time, good chunk of income, access to every book/tv show/movie ever made, and couldn't think of anything else to do?

He still sounds better than this one guy I worked with who would routinely have dating/adult websites on his desktop and who on occasion would loudly say his SSN into the phone in an open-office setting.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wonder if he didn't experience what prisoners experience, where after a while the world inside the office is all that he really knows and he doesn't feel comfortable outside of it

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Code Jockey posted:

I wonder if he didn't experience what prisoners experience, where after a while the world inside the office is all that he really knows and he doesn't feel comfortable outside of it

I think it's that for some people, but I also think some people just think work is super fun and great. I work in a big company with a lot of middle managers who don't do much all day. They probably do enjoy their jobs since it boils down to telling people "good job, keep doing that!" and ordering new uniforms for people.

Meanwhile, I can't get out the door fast enough at the end of the day. I enjoy some of the work and most of the people, but you're insane if you think I consider work to be something I'd do if I wasn't getting paid for it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Code Jockey posted:

lmao that rules

We joke at work a lot about "oh such-and-such must have an Outlook rule that sends all my emails to the trash!" but sometimes I legit wonder

I have a Gmail label called "Bullshit", anything sent from certain addresses or with certain subjects known to be company wide or org wide meaningless communications gets archived into there sight unseen.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It me.

For people who cannot socialize outside of work much or at all, for whatever reason, this is how they are getting their daily dose of human contact. It sucks but sometimes there's not much else to do. It's one of several reasons I lust for a return to commuting into the office once we can again safely; coffee walk and talk chat was very nice, now we have coffee videocall and vent which just isn't the same.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I used to enjoy the in-person meetings as a good excuse to charge some of my time to zoning out (as meetings are rarely relevant for me to begin with). As you become more and more active and involved in these meetings, the less enjoyment there is to be derived. I don't get the people who have meetings day in and day out and still yearn for a return to that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gin_Rummy posted:

He still sounds better than this one guy I worked with who would routinely have dating/adult websites on his desktop and who on occasion would loudly say his SSN into the phone in an open-office setting.

Lol that's pretty bad. We have shared printers and if I need to print out something like baseball tickets (before those were moved to an app) I'd be hovering over the printer to grab them. Contrast with coworkers leaving personal tax documents there all day. One guy had printed I think an immigration form packed with bank/address/other items and it was sitting in the print tray face up for hours before I mentioned to a manager that someone should tell the guy (I didn't know where he sat).

Code Jockey posted:

I think that was a big part of it. I could understand if it were a university and he wanted to go to games or the library or if we were a tech company with a free gourmet cafeteria and gym, but this is closer to hanging out in a dentist's reception area or chilling in the DMV parking lot on a Friday night.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol that's pretty bad. We have shared printers and if I need to print out something like baseball tickets (before those were moved to an app) I'd be hovering over the printer to grab them. Contrast with coworkers leaving personal tax documents there all day. One guy had printed I think an immigration form packed with bank/address/other items and it was sitting in the print tray face up for hours before I mentioned to a manager that someone should tell the guy (I didn't know where he sat).

It was bad, but I will admit it was just as hilarious. I remember it distinctly during one of those "not too long after lunch" lulls where everyone is still kind of tired, quiet, and getting situated again...

"Yes, I will verify my identity. FIRST NAME. MIDDLE NAME. LAST NAME. Yes, MY SOCIAL IS ###-##-####. Repeat that? SURE!" all while everyone kind of raised their heads up from their cubes look at each other in bewilderment.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A nice email to everyone from on high today saying we're in the third phase of covid reopening. Still unsure if that means I'll have to work in person now, and im waiting on my boss to get back to me about that.

I'm supposed to get a call by the end of this week regarding my interview last week. Regardless of if I get the job or not I'm planning on putting in my two weeks notice next week. I have enough saved up to ride out the rest of this year if need be, and I know i can find temporary cannabis work quickly.

I hate my job and the lack of direction and the constant feeling of dread hanging over everything. I know once I put in that its gonna be real awkward at the office. Theres only 5 people in my department. Im quitting, word is my coworker is getting fired, and my boss is grooming my other coworker to take over for him when he quits later this year. Other coworker is still in college and has a history of letting power/pressure go to their head. This is all coming while we have another round of quarterly reports for the dozen or so grants, planning for a large sampling project this summer that requires interagency coordination, and planning for a department expansion to create two new sub departments (one of which i would be assistant director of) and moving everyone into a larger office that has yet to be built.

My boss came in under the guise of being the big ideas guy to reform our department, secure more funding, and expand our roles, and if half the staff quit his master plan will fall flat on its face. The department has taken in so many grants and started so many projects that other departments, including finance, have remarked that they hope we can uphold our obligations to the granting agencies. We have a history of biting off more then we can chew, using the money for other things, then either half assing it all in the end or just begging for forgiveness when we fall short.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 15, 2021

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Gin_Rummy posted:

I don't get the people who have meetings day in and day out and still yearn for a return to that.

for a lot of people their job is their family, and most social circles are entirely obliterated by the time you hit your 30s anyway... I feel like I've seen a lot of people who are going to end up being 'that person'...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If you use speak to type as your primary email method and do not add periods I wish for death to you and your progeny especially if you also don’t loving respond to my emails after you’ve missed deadlines holy poo poo how do you live your life

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

teen witch posted:

If you use speak to type as your primary email method and do not add periods I wish for death to you and your progeny especially if you also don’t loving respond to my emails after you’ve missed deadlines holy poo poo how do you live your life

Noting the lack of punctuation.
But yes, speech to text inevitably makes poo poo go weird if you don't check any of it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I always feel like a weirdo putting in punctuation when speaking a message comma like it's something the recipient won't expect period oh well period

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

hell astro course posted:

for a lot of people their job is their family, and most social circles are entirely obliterated by the time you hit your 30s anyway... I feel like I've seen a lot of people who are going to end up being 'that person'...

I've taken lockdown very seriously during covid (partially at my partners insistence) and would usually hang out with friends maybe once a month or less. My coworkers were my main social circle for most of last year. I only have one coworker I feel like I can really be honest with, and its like when everyone else is gone we would talk about all the hosed up stuff going on and just vent to each other. I'll miss them when I leave but gently caress everyone else lol

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I mentioned this a while ago but I got an email from the guy who has the passive aggressive chud-ly "nuke the trees" thing in his email signature so I can share this

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

titty_baby_ posted:

I've taken lockdown very seriously during covid (partially at my partners insistence) and would usually hang out with friends maybe once a month or less. My coworkers were my main social circle for most of last year. I only have one coworker I feel like I can really be honest with, and its like when everyone else is gone we would talk about all the hosed up stuff going on and just vent to each other. I'll miss them when I leave but gently caress everyone else lol

Everyone needs someone like this at their job. For me it's the mail room guy, who is patently a cool dude who hates fascists, does his admittedly hard and crucial job well, and has general good taste in culture and hates the same America's Got Talent/Karen/Truck Nutz/Office Cat Lady/Live Laugh Love poo poo that I do. We can also share stuff like who we think doesn't deserve their job and how we deserve more money and what we'd do if we were offered other jobs and poo poo like that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

AHH F/UGH posted:

I mentioned this a while ago but I got an email from the guy who has the passive aggressive chud-ly "nuke the trees" thing in his email signature so I can share this

CONSUME, I COMMAND THEE. CONSUME . . . ALL

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I need managers to understand that encouraging underlings to contribute to "process improvement" is a double edged sword

Sure, you get some genuinely good insight on various workflows, make the peons feel more involved in defining their work, and ideally get the machine running a little smoother

But on the other hand, the more ambitious and annoying a coworker is, the more likely they'll use it as carte blanche to fix what isn't broken for the sake of "making their mark"

So we had one field tech out of 80 who hosed up data collection on one afternoon, and one of our analysts has decided that she needs to intervene by:

Pulling all of the field techs out of the field for an entire afternoon
So she can revamp and reteach a process that isn't broken
Which she doesn't know because she didn't understand the process to begin with
And she needs the entire support team to help

And for 6 months she's been trying to make this a thing, injecting it into every irrelevant meeting or conversation possible and she just can't take the hint that there's zero will power to see it through.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

That email signature is wild

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

Dang that's oddly specific. The only coworker I know who printed emails called the help desk for a "your computer isn't broken, turn on your monitor" issue and would leave 5 minute voicemails that got automatically cut off before they reached the point of the call.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

vyst posted:

That email signature is wild

I mean if we worked at a paper company okay, but if one of my guys had this as their signature I would tell them to cut that poo poo immediately lol

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I am like 90% sure I met the guy who invented that email signature and it’s a thing. He wants it to be adopted and make paper into something that people use again, and had a whole litany against “eco-snobs” who hate paper. That email signature is part of his movement and people are encouraged to copy it into their sigs.

The guy is like a hybrid Genx trust fund marketing bro and Dwight Shrute

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I just got a cheque for £20 from my previous employer that went bust owing me two months' pay. That's less than an hour's pay. For context, they went bust six months before Covid hit.

The HR guy once told me off for applying for jobs and taking phone interviews during company time when I was supposed to be working, because I was bringing down the morale of my team. Fairly certain that not being paid for two months was bringing down morale way more than me offering to help people with CVs and providing references to anyone that needed one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat, that's some fine liquidation.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

wooger posted:

Agree. The danger of outsourcing is real.

In the UK it could somehow have a positive effect on society by potentially ending London-weighted salaries for jobs based in London - which seems to be 10 to 100% depending on the job.

If no one needs to live in London and pay half their salary just to have somewhere to live, why would the companies continue to pay the difference?

Talent and money can stay in other cities where people can actually afford to live and unfuck society a bit.

It's scary, what if I want to live in a big city?

I grew up and used to live/work in the (UK) suburbs, and absolutely hated it. The cultural deadness, the total lack of diversity, the reliance on cars, the absence of any ambition or pride from anyone in anything beyond getting a new kitchen or going to Ibeefa.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

poisonpill posted:

I am like 90% sure I met the guy who invented that email signature and it’s a thing. He wants it to be adopted and make paper into something that people use again, and had a whole litany against “eco-snobs” who hate paper. That email signature is part of his movement and people are encouraged to copy it into their sigs.

The guy is like a hybrid Genx trust fund marketing bro and Dwight Shrute

Printed poo poo can go gently caress itself because printers are the devil spawn of office machines

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

vyst posted:

Printed poo poo can go gently caress itself because printers are the devil spawn of office machines

The only good thing about office printers is when you work in IT and you put up fake signs on April Fool's Day about how the printer is now voice-activated and you should clearly state your name and how many copies you want it to print in order to get your stuff.

Still not worth it. I do not miss IT at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

This is some serious A+ content. :lmao: