Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Competition Bureau generally is responsible for approving or denying mergers. The CRTC currently has a role specifically when it comes to the ownership of broadcasters or cable companies (C-10 might change that a little), or the remaining limits on foreign ownership in telecom, but mostly this particular deal is actually the Competition Bureau's to accept or reject.

My mistake, I was under the impression it was the CRTC's purview as they are both cable companies, broadcasters, and internet service providers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Holy poo poo. Hopefully the folks I know who are still there end up alright.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The competition bureau did diddly squat when Bell swallowed up MTS

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I can't wait to experience what it's like to be "rogered"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Methanar posted:

I can't wait to experience what it's like to be "rogered"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjKVGB6JEfs

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I was looking at switching back to shaw for the shaw hotspots that are practically everywhere.

I've been with Telus for 5 years, so maybe I'll just call them to see if they can lower my rate. I'm paying like $250/month for a load of poo poo my family doesn't even use (granted, we go way over the monthly data our package has each month). I fully admit my ignorance of how to haggle with providers for better rates.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I joined Freedom because Rogers jacked up the 60 for 10 price so fast... now I might end up a Bell customer :vomarine:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

infernal machines posted:

My mistake, I was under the impression it was the CRTC's purview as they are both cable companies, broadcasters, and internet service providers.

That's the mostly part. It's only the broadcaster and cable company licenses that they would need CRTC approval to buy - otherwise the CRTC doesn't have the power to interfere with the deal. Competition in the telecom market is one (of many, several of which contradict each other) goals they're supposed to work toward and consider as they regulate carriers, but it's not really something they directly enforce.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Man I feel bad for the people who switched employers from Rogers to Shaw and getting the news this morning. I've heard from a few who are all "oh, Jesus loving Christ"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Man I feel bad for the people who switched employers from Rogers to Shaw and getting the news this morning. I've heard from a few who are all "oh, Jesus loving Christ"

"No essscaaape..." :unsmigghh:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yes I too feel terrible for several discrete appendages of this giant clawed parasite bleeding my family dry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2su-LhDmxl0

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

Yes I too feel terrible for several discrete appendages of this giant clawed parasite bleeding my family dry.

I'm not saying you have to care but I'm still going to have empathy for my friends and acquaintances who have a lovely employer. I'm not going to cut them out of my life and think they're human garbage for the dumb things their management does because I'm not an rear end in a top hat who blames frontline reps for things that happen at the executive level.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Starlink will save us!

*swarm of garbage envelops our lower atmosphere, preventing us from ever escaping*

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm not saying you have to care but I'm still going to have empathy for my friends and acquaintances who have a lovely employer. I'm not going to cut them out of my life and think they're human garbage for the dumb things their management does because I'm not an rear end in a top hat who blames frontline reps for things that happen at the executive level.

Brad Shaw is probably one of the dumbest people in this country. Just an absolute moron that bumbled everything that he ever tried to do at Shaw and he's going to get a massive payout and sit on the Rogers board in retirement. Nepotism is alive and well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Starlink will save us!

*swarm of garbage envelops our lower atmosphere, preventing us from ever escaping*

Mind your language, citizen. Those older satellites are not "garbage" but future resources to be harvested by the Musk-Bezos-Yutani Corp. Fifty Likes have been deducted from your chequing account.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Lobok posted:

Mind your language, citizen. Those older satellites are not "garbage" but future resources to be harvested by the Musk-Bezos-Yutani Corp. Fifty Likes Dogecoin have been deducted from your chequing account.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Starlink will save us!

trust me, it's better this way

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Brad Shaw is probably one of the dumbest people in this country. Just an absolute moron that bumbled everything that he ever tried to do at Shaw and he's going to get a massive payout and sit on the Rogers board in retirement. Nepotism is alive and well.

Don't forget that he's only in charge because his brother managed to be even worse. His sisters are even more neurotic from the stories I've heard.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Our very own Hapsburgs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Luv 2 have our own groups of industry royals most of whom are the idiot descendants of the actual founders like the Irvings, Rogers, the Loblaws people, etc.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Don't forget that he's only in charge because his brother managed to be even worse. His sisters are even more neurotic from the stories I've heard.

I might be misremembering the details but I think it was Julie Shaw that tried to go off on her own and start an interior design career and JR bought her firm and forced her to work with the rest of the family at Shaw? One time she was visiting our office in Winnipeg and the Managers went around asking everyone to take their jackets off the backs of their chairs and hang them up in the closet because Julie flips her lid every time she sees jackets on chairs.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Starlink will save us!

I think the bigger risk is just collisions between satellites, most of them are low orbit and will burn up on failure. They have thrusters to avoid collisions but obviously the complexity of that scales the more that are launched and there's very little regulation right now.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

I might be misremembering the details but I think it was Julie Shaw that tried to go off on her own and start an interior design career and JR bought her firm and forced her to work with the rest of the family at Shaw? One time she was visiting our office in Winnipeg and the Managers went around asking everyone to take their jackets off the backs of their chairs and hang them up in the closet because Julie flips her lid every time she sees jackets on chairs.

Yeah, they made her head of "architecture and design". I remember that, as well as when she flipped her poo poo at the Bison Building Services rep and had a meltdown because she found some dust on a random windowsill or something. Whenever she was scheduled to visit the supervisors got really nervous about keeping up appearances, and the building staff would be on edge.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Some positive news, federal court of appeals rejects Bell, Rogers :cry: about CRTC wholesale rates and ordering they pay costs of the small ISPs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-broadband-court-1.5718922

It sounds like the CRTC is reviewing their own decision but it since the court rejected the appeal I hope they (or the government) won't try to do anything too shady.

who am I kidding

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 15, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I legit fear all these prices going up. It’s already expensive enough and we get such lower tier poo poo compared to other countries. The CRTC is absolutely toothless and I will not be surprised if they allow this to go through.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was trying to remember, wasn’t there a bce/telus proposed merger a few years back? Not sure if it came apart because of govt oversight or something else.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Lobok posted:

Mind your language, citizen. Those older satellites are not "garbage" but future resources to be harvested by the Musk-Bezos-Yutani Corp. Fifty Likes have been deducted from your chequing account.

The Gunslinger posted:

I think the bigger risk is just collisions between satellites, most of them are low orbit and will burn up on failure. They have thrusters to avoid collisions but obviously the complexity of that scales the more that are launched and there's very little regulation right now.

Actually I was referring to this from the Space forum.

Debris in Low-Earth Orbit is now considered Earth's largest garbage dump. There's really no regulation over it, and it's becoming a problem now. But hey, at least we'd have an alternative to Canadian telecom!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

priznat posted:

I was trying to remember, wasn’t there a bce/telus proposed merger a few years back? Not sure if it came apart because of govt oversight or something else.

there were talks in 2k7, they got some subs from when bell bought mts, and they co-run their lte network

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mediaphage posted:

there were talks in 2k7, they got some subs from when bell bought mts, and they co-run their lte network

Wow 2007 hm there was something more recent perhaps it was the mts thing I was thinking of.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Actually I was referring to this from the Space forum.

Debris in Low-Earth Orbit is now considered Earth's largest garbage dump. There's really no regulation over it, and it's becoming a problem now. But hey, at least we'd have an alternative to Canadian telecom!

Between using Rogers and dooming the human race to one planet, I know which I'm choosing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Are we suggesting that Shaw and Rogers shouldn't be allowed to merge until both can and have shot down all space debris?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Let's just say i look forward to denying their monopoly on the moon for eternity

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

We can't let them have the moon, that's where our cum's gonna go!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How naive you gotta be to think something like the CRTC is anything but a rubber stamp as long as we live in a capitalist society

Look at any carriers coverage map and it says my whole area is covered and then some which is grossly inaccurate. Emailed CRTC and they came back like yeahhh that's not our concern at all

quote:

Thank you for contacting us about Bell Canada’s marketing practices concerning mobile telephone and Internet services in your region.

In Canada, mobile telephone and Internet services are offered on a competitive basis. Therefore, the CRTC does not get involved in the retail rates that are charged to customers, in billing and marketing practices, in quality of service issues, and in customer relations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-canadas-efficiencies-defence-may-enable-rogers-shaw-merger/

quote:

Rogers and Shaw issued a joint communique on Monday announcing their intent to merge, a deal totalling $26-billion, including debt. The two companies also claim the merger will create $1-billion a year in synergies within two years after it is finalized.

Their synergies claim is interesting because, if upheld, it will severely hamper the Competition Bureau’s ability to take meaningful action to protect competition in the industry, further contributing to the high prices Canadians pay for telecommunications services. The core problem is Canada’s so-called efficiencies defence for mergers, contained in section 96 of the Competition Act.

Unlike most other jurisdictions on the planet – many of which have their own efficiencies defence for mergers – ours lets companies undertake mergers that will harm competition if a union creates efficiencies that are “greater than and offset” the harm the merger causes to competition.

In other words, if a merger creates a significant amount of cost savings, it is legal under Canadian law, even if it hurts consumers. These cost savings often come from laying off staff, which may exacerbate the harm these mergers can inflict on Canadians. Ultimately, the increased revenues from higher prices and cost savings accrue to business owners and shareholders, exacerbating economic inequity.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Welcome to Rogers' Bay Company

Eventually

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It's like I've heard that news three times...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I really need to work up the give-a-gently caress to switch to TekSavvy or something.

But I’m stressed to the max working in unsafe conditions during a pandemic so Shaw gets their $100 each month just because I’m constantly overwhelmed. TekSavvy is still $90/month for slower service, but at least I’d feel a little better giving them money I guess.

2021 sucks. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nevermind, it'll fit better in the cellular thread.