Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA has... gone ahead and published versions of the driver and vbios without them included. :ughh:

(Specifically 370.05 beta and the MSI 3060 appear to not have it included...)

edit: I wonder if msi accidentally-on-purpose didn’t update their cards. Partners can’t be too happy NVIDIA is shutting off the miner money faucet, partners are the ones primarily reaping big profits from the current pricing levels while NVIDIA takes the heat. OEM orders and pricing are locked in 6+ months in advance so NVIDIA themselves doesn’t really see much from this boom.

It could also just be a mistake, partners screw up vBIOS all the time and since they're all signed even if broken. That is how you get vBIOS's for flashing on other cards for mods.

Though the cards without power limits might be intentional voltage limiters can only increase RMAs so probably aren't intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA has... gone ahead and published versions of the driver and vbios without them included. :ughh:

(Specifically 370.05 beta and the MSI 3060 appear to not have it included...)

edit: I wonder if msi accidentally-on-purpose didn’t update their cards. Partners can’t be too happy NVIDIA is shutting off the miner money faucet, partners are the ones primarily reaping big profits from the current pricing levels while NVIDIA takes the heat. OEM orders and pricing are locked in 6+ months in advance so NVIDIA themselves doesn’t really see much from this boom.

Ahahah great job nVidia

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, alright, to sympathize with the devil a little - this generation of mining lock was very, very flawed from the jump. if they are serious about reducing mining on RTX and GTX cards, which i am not absolutely sure i think they are, they needed to radically improve it, and a 3080ti is about the perfect place to try. any lockout, even one that gets defeated, will keep scalping prices down for the first month or so until it's cracked (as it has with the 3060) and that's worth doing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
LOL you think people won't be speculatively buying 3080Tis for mining, knowing that they have little to nothing to lose if the lockout actually works.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

K8.0 posted:

LOL you think people won't be speculatively buying 3080Tis for mining, knowing that they have little to nothing to lose if the lockout actually works.

i hear ya, but:

mA posted:

Ampere
    RTX 3090
    Median price: $2872
    RTX 3080
    Median price: $2199
    RTX 3070
    Median price: $1200
    RTX 3060ti
    Median price: $1175
    RTX 3060
    Median price: $775

right now there is a 400 dollar mining premium - while the 3060ti and 3070 flirt with price parity. there are other elements at play (ie, the 3060ti and 3060 not being as comparable as the ti is with the 3070) but i would suggest this indicates the strategy has impacted demand.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

gently caress yes thats good to hear!

I have had three separate PCI power cables run to both of our 1070s sitting empty for like six months.

I’m going to dehumanize myself and face towards discord.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I remember ...walking into a local PC shop and they had like 6 brand new 970s just sitting there waiting to be sold and I was like “nice... my gaming hobby is popular”... must’ve been 2014-15. This was somewhat normal

It’s never going to be like that again is it :hotpickle:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
it would be really funny if the driver leak was an inside job

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Well there goes any chance of getting a 3060 now.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I managed to snag a 3060 for my brother today by just having CCL open sorted by Delivery Date and f5ing every few minutes, then jumping in the inevitable auto-refresh queue. Paid more than I should have (£510), but all the prices are like that, and he needs his system up and running sooner than later since his laptop has actually died now.

From the last page of chat, I'm kinda glad I got it done when I did.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

CyberPingu posted:

Put your build into PC part picker. It has an estimated power draw on its build list.

Thanks, I did so and it was estimating about 425w, I was just wondering about how much overhead you needed to have.

Cheers for everyone elses advice too, I'll get a 3070 hopefully sometime before 2070.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ShredsYouSay posted:

Thanks, I did so and it was estimating about 425w, I was just wondering about how much overhead you needed to have.

Cheers for everyone elses advice too, I'll get a 3070 hopefully sometime before 2070.

Get the biggest buffer you're willing to pay for imo. Power supplies will degrade over time, and that extra rated wattage will keep your PC alive longer.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Personally I would be aiming for the 600-750W margin but then again I always over budget for things like that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1371536419857047568

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's pretty interesting but I'd be amazed if it was intentional, if it is it's actually kinda genius.

Also if you're looking for further signs that the crash is imminent, there's a few stories popping up about crypto wallets being hacked/exchanges emptying the wallets of people dumb enough to trust them. So we might actually be back to being able to buy graphics cards by the summer!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you are going to post stuff about cryptocurrency mining here, please provide some context as to how it effects the graphics card market or is an interesting technology change related to GPUs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’d argue that nvidia loving up their drivers is always relevant to this thread?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

That seems trivial to bypass, just run each card in a vm.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

njsykora posted:

That's pretty interesting but I'd be amazed if it was intentional, if it is it's actually kinda genius.

The whole thing is pretty clearly accidental. It's not like NVidia needs to make their cards attractive to miners in order to ensure that they sell through 100% of their stock instantly. The entire point of trying to make crypto-specific GPUs is to segregate the markets so gamers don't immediately bail on NVidia cards out of spite the next time AMD actually bothers to send some GPU fab orders over to TSMC.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Just sold a 1080 for twice what I paid for it a couple years ago. What a crazy market

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I’d argue that nvidia loving up their drivers is always relevant to this thread?

I'm just asking for them to put some more effort into their post instead of just dropping a tweet. Especially when talking about cryptocurrency in this thread.

And while I'm here, movax and I have been reviewing the feedback from the feedback thread and we'll likely be making a separate cryptocurrency thread in SH/SC. If you've got anything to say about it, please pop by here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there something that can control the LEDs for him? Thats the most annoying part of the MSI x570 motherboard I have, only dragon center can set the LEDs, third party software including that open source project can't do it.

Way later, but part of the issue with Dragon Center is it is INSANELY embedded into your stuff, so if it stops working, you have to go through all this extra bullshit to actually get it fully removed and they even have a semi-official dragon center removal utility they host on an open google drive :wtc: . Otherwise uninstalling+reinstalling it/etc. will make it work even worse or not even fully re-install or boot. :(

The solution that finally worked for me for this was that they have yet another hub thing called MSI Creator Center. Installing this seemed to overwrite Dragon Center enough that it then asks you to install Dragon Center lmao.

So you uninstall Dragon Center and removes as much of it as you can, nstall creator center, then install dragon center, it will tell you to download a bunch of other stuff+ the MSI SDK but don't do any of that, re-start, don't touch creator center, and then dragon center should start up and work like "normal" for it.

I like MSI's board overall so far but that's a lot of poo poo just to change up the lights. :/

The IDEA of a hub for monitoring and everything is cool but dragon center has been a major pain in the butt

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 15, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah it is very hit and miss for a lot of people, which is partly why nvidia is having a hard time getting fixes out

What I was trying to say with real subtlety is not to let some Reddit poster's tests be the factor that keeps you on an ancient driver. I read the same poster, the tell was keeping the last pre-Cyberpunk driver.

Hemish posted:

The whole situation is turbo hosed on pretty much anything computer related.

Doesn't apply to GPUs and hard drives which can be worn hard and returned, but look for return/overstock clearance. I just this last week picked up one of those Lian-Li cases everybody loves for 22% off from Amazon Warehouse and the only signs of wear was that the manufacturer box was ripped and dented in some areas (though Amazon put it inside one of their own boxes for safety during shipping.)

I've seen some pretty decent CPU deals that way as well.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 16, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

man, releasing that driver is such a self-own given how there's no way to enforce driver/firmware updates (unlike a console exploit for example)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

njsykora posted:

Also if you're looking for further signs that the crash is imminent, there's a few stories popping up about crypto wallets being hacked/exchanges emptying the wallets of people dumb enough to trust them. So we might actually be back to being able to buy graphics cards by the summer!

Time is a flat circle, I remember poo poo exactly like this in 2012-2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Internet Explorer posted:

If you are going to post stuff about cryptocurrency mining here, please provide some context as to how it effects the graphics card market or is an interesting technology change related to GPUs.

Please let people make informative posts. Hold the line at opinion ("My belief on crypto is...") and Q&A ("Help me make money pls") style posts.

If you stifle people talking about the capabilities of the crypto nerf because it's related to crypto, then misinformation is going to begin flowing on the thread since not everyone follows a hundred technology reporters on Twitter, and people tend to have out-of-date information in megathreads. If people begin expressing charged opinions on the information, then yank the chain.

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there something that can control the LEDs for him? Thats the most annoying part of the MSI x570 motherboard I have, only dragon center can set the LEDs, third party software including that open source project can't do it.

https://github.com/ixjf/MSIRGB This worked for my B450 Tomahawk.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/digitimesdotcom/status/1371636572097892353

May I offer you an lol in these trying times?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That’s some serious hashtag abuse.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

NOVEMBER FLOOD!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sphyre posted:

NOVEMBER 2022 FLOOD!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Please let people make informative posts. Hold the line at opinion ("My belief on crypto is...") and Q&A ("Help me make money pls") style posts.

If you stifle people talking about the capabilities of the crypto nerf because it's related to crypto, then misinformation is going to begin flowing on the thread since not everyone follows a hundred technology reporters on Twitter, and people tend to have out-of-date information in megathreads. If people begin expressing charged opinions on the information, then yank the chain.

I asked for feedback to be provided in the feedback thread.

Y'all are already on a shorter chain because we're sick of having to come in here and break up the slap fights.

I didn't probe anyone. I didn't threaten to probe anyone. I just asked that if someone is going to post a random tweet about crytpo, to please put some more effort in.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
3080 Arrived from EVGA safe and sound. I was rather surprised at how sparse it was, only the card, the "sag bracket" which doesn't work with my case, and a tiny instruction/installation guide. Sadly, no gamer themed crap for my wife to tease me about.

Card installed without a hitch, ran a few benchmarks to confirm card wasn't a dud. All was OK, so I played Control with MAXIMUM EVERYTHING @4K and it was glorious. I think I'll be looking into selling the 1080Ti soon. :D

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Goddamn,

Does this mean I fork over for a scalped one on Ebay?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

njsykora posted:

That’s some serious hashtag abuse.

Opening up Twitter to check what's new on the #grossmargin hashtag

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Goddamn,

Does this mean I fork over for a scalped one on Ebay?

It depends.
    Which card are you shooting for? (3080 is basically impossible to score, while the 3070 and 3090 are slightly easier to get.)
    How much effort are you willing to put into it ?(Monitoring Discord notifications, using bots, etc.)
    How bad do you need it? (Can you tolerate your current GPU for at least another 6-12 months?)

Outside of ebay, the best way to get a 30 series card is through buying a prebuilt (ibuypower, cyberpowerpc). You'll be paying a $100-$200 premium, but it still beats paying 2x-2.5x MSRP on ebay. Downside is that if you only want the card, you'll need to resell the rest of the rig.

Or you could jump in the EVGA queue, but at this point expect for at least a 6 month minimum wait time for your number to be called.

mA fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 16, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how much I could get for a blower-style GTX 650 if I were in the US

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mA posted:

It depends.
    Which card are you shooting for? (3080 is basically impossible to score, while the 3070 and 3090 are slightly easier to get.)
    How much effort are you willing to put into it ?(Monitoring Discord notifications, using bots, etc.)
    How bad do you need it? (Can you tolerate your current GPU for at least another 6-12 months?)

Outside of ebay, the best way to get a 30 series card is through buying a prebuilt (ibuypower, cyberpowerpc). You'll be paying a $100-$200 premium, but it still beats paying 2x-2.5x MSRP on ebay. Downside is that if you only want the card, you'll need to resell the rest of the rig.

Or you could jump in the EVGA queue, but at this point expect for at least a 6 month minimum wait time for your number to be called.

Be warned that you should confirm with the company the actual brand/model of GPU being used if it isn't specified. The Dell Alienware used a literally nameless in-house model with a whack cooler and no voltage control.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

3080 Arrived from EVGA safe and sound. I was rather surprised at how sparse it was, only the card, the "sag bracket" which doesn't work with my case, and a tiny instruction/installation guide. Sadly, no gamer themed crap for my wife to tease me about.

Card installed without a hitch, ran a few benchmarks to confirm card wasn't a dud. All was OK, so I played Control with MAXIMUM EVERYTHING @4K and it was glorious. I think I'll be looking into selling the 1080Ti soon. :D

What's a "sag bracket" and do you actually need to use one?

mA posted:

According to the EVGA forum the north america step-up list has finally moved past the first day. I signed up on the third day it was open so maybe I'll have a card by Labor Day.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

axeil posted:

What's a "sag bracket" and do you actually need to use one?

gpu is a combination of materials that are quite heavy and with a combination of heating cycles and time they can wind up buckling slightly, which can strain connections and looks bad. a sag bracket is literally just a support pillar for the far side of the GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some of the 3000 series cards are so big they give you a supporting bracket to keep it from potentially warping your PCI-E slot. It also helps with thermals by keeping the PCB in better contact with the fans.