Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yakuza 8 should open with Ichiban suddenly finding out that in the wake of Kume getting convicted for murder he's been elected to parliament. The rest of the game is dedicated to literally fighting the corruption in the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Alacron posted:

Yakuza 8 should open with Ichiban suddenly finding out that in the wake of Kume getting convicted for murder he's been elected to parliament. The rest of the game is dedicated to literally fighting the corruption in the government.

Heh. I'm beginning to see the appeal. (Side story end)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

Heh. I'm beginning to see the appeal. (Side story end)
Pretend I have the gumption to post the gif of the Communist party leader getting assassinated, and react as such

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

univbee posted:

That reminds me of one thing I noticed in Yakuza: Like A Dragon with the Poppo employees.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/yakuza/images/e/e3/Dwayne_Cruise.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/332?cb=20190722161712

Dwayne Cruise, as he's known in Judgment.

He speaks with a pronounced accent in Japanese in Judgment, kind of like Gary Buster Holmes.

He's also in Like A Dragon but has the same audio as the Japanese employee. He got REALLY good at Japanese enunciation over the years.

I suspect it's not a "jank programming" thing (although that's certainly still possible, IIRC Final Fantasy X had an issue where the English audio recordings had to be within 0.25 seconds of the Japanese audio recording length for the same line or it would crash) but a resources thing. Costs for dubbing can be quite high. I know, for example, the French dub of Frozen cost $750,000 and that was for something with no reprogramming, minimal visual reworking and a LOT less actors and dialogue than a game like Like A Dragon (and LAD still had songs to localize too). And SEGA's not made of money, relatively speaking. I think ultimately they just had to make an executive decision to focus their dubbing energy where it would matter most. I do think the dub and the game's success probably stand a good chance of meaning that they can convince SEGA to increase the budget of the next game's dub to properly fully cover it.

I think I read on twitter from Scott Strichart somewhere that the incidental background lines, such as enemy fight dialogue, are all squirreled away as sound effects, so trying to find and dub them is like pulling needles from a massive haystack.

This is why the Ono Michio figures use Takaya Kuroda’s voice, because they didn’t find the voice clips for the figures until they were doing a pass on sfx and found the Ono Michio lines after recording had been long done.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that would make sense since they're also reusing the same exact generic enemy and shopkeeper lines all the way from the ps3

i dunno if they've ever added any more of them

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

univbee posted:

I suspect it's not a "jank programming" thing (although that's certainly still possible, IIRC Final Fantasy X had an issue where the English audio recordings had to be within 0.25 seconds of the Japanese audio recording length for the same line or it would crash) but a resources thing. Costs for dubbing can be quite high. I know, for example, the French dub of Frozen cost $750,000 and that was for something with no reprogramming, minimal visual reworking and a LOT less actors and dialogue than a game like Like A Dragon (and LAD still had songs to localize too). And SEGA's not made of money, relatively speaking. I think ultimately they just had to make an executive decision to focus their dubbing energy where it would matter most. I do think the dub and the game's success probably stand a good chance of meaning that they can convince SEGA to increase the budget of the next game's dub to properly fully cover it.

Did the French dub of Frozen have all the townspeople in the background still chattering away in English?

(I have never seen Frozen but looking at it I presume there’s at least one scene in a town where people talk in the background)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The english dub won me over with some of the dialog in combat. Host Adachi saying "Congratulations on whatever!" as he smashes a birthday cake into some poor goon's face made me laugh.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

wafflemoose posted:

The english dub won me over with some of the dialog in combat. Host Adachi saying "Congratulations on whatever!" as he smashes a birthday cake into some poor goon's face made me laugh.

So many of dub Adachi's job lines are fantastic too, he puts this big goofy like MAGNANIMOUS WIZARD lilt on his voice when doing Fortuneteller and it's just :allears:

Zhao is a delight in english too.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i want them to drop the goda game trailer already

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thread title for Yakuza 5 that wouldn't have been possible at the time.

Yakuza 5: Baba is You

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Did the French dub of Frozen have all the townspeople in the background still chattering away in English?

(I have never seen Frozen but looking at it I presume there’s at least one scene in a town where people talk in the background)

It’s not impossible, but French dubs at least tend to be extremely thorough and will redo this kind of stuff even if it’s not intelligible, just to reflect a more “accurate” French crowd sound or whatever.

Phoning in can still happen but it’s extremely rare if there’s actual English or whatever words. Like Beavis and Butthead Do America got dubbed in French and some of the filler “uh-huh-huh” laughing stayed in from the English, but the French actors also had their own versions of the laughs when it was around actual dialogue.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have a question about Haruka's chapter in Yakuza 5; I know that Yoko's trainings will increase your climax heat gauge, but if I do a training when my gauge is already full, does that mean the increase will be wasted? Or does it roll over, or does it not really matter at all? I'm not really sure what the pace of the game is in terms of how many of those trainings I'll get to do vs. how many shows I'll actually need to use the climax heat gauge for.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It doesn't seem to really matter as i went into the last princess round with no climax and still managed to with with just the heat point increases and still manage to win.

Then again if you wins both of the previous rounds you start out with such an advantage i don't think you can lose anyway.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have a question about Haruka's chapter in Yakuza 5; I know that Yoko's trainings will increase your climax heat gauge, but if I do a training when my gauge is already full, does that mean the increase will be wasted? Or does it roll over, or does it not really matter at all? I'm not really sure what the pace of the game is in terms of how many of those trainings I'll get to do vs. how many shows I'll actually need to use the climax heat gauge for.

If you complete all the training you get a permanently full climax heat gauge.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks folks!

I was not prepared for how many times I was going to have to hear So Much More! and it is now drilled into my brain like a rail spike but you know what? Maybe it's just stockholm syndrome but I still like it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm near the end of Y4 and while I liked having more characters to kind of partition out the side activities more easily (why would Kiryu run a host club and an orphanage in Okinawa, Y3 :argh: ) it felt very weird trying to switch back to Akiyama or Saejima and figure out the movesets/etc again. The pacing of the plot is kind of hosed by it, as opposed to Y0 where it switches between the two every two chapters.

In a way it's kind of frustrating seeing the series sloooowly get closer and closer to the kind of peak gameplay design of Y0 and still just fall a little bit short.

Also, Kiryu's two revelations are just repeats of other revelations:effort:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jumping back into Yakuza 5, had just started Shinada's story when I got pulled away. Shinada's money problems were hilariously undermined when the very first fight I got into dropped a Platinum Plate which I immediately sold for 150k. Hope Takasugi doesn't find out! Speaking of which, Takasugi rules, he sucks so much

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm near the end of Y4 and while I liked having more characters to kind of partition out the side activities more easily (why would Kiryu run a host club and an orphanage in Okinawa, Y3 :argh: ) it felt very weird trying to switch back to Akiyama or Saejima and figure out the movesets/etc again. The pacing of the plot is kind of hosed by it, as opposed to Y0 where it switches between the two every two chapters.

In a way it's kind of frustrating seeing the series sloooowly get closer and closer to the kind of peak gameplay design of Y0 and still just fall a little bit short.

Also, Kiryu's two revelations are just repeats of other revelations:effort:

in Y0 both majima and kiryu are moving in roughly similar yet non-overlapping circles, so there's still a sense of mounting action between their two stories as you switch back and forth

Y4 has none of that, you just get knocked back to the beginning of the next character's story after hitting a crucial point in the last, so it's build-build-build-RESET-build-build-build-RESET and so on

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

in Y0 both majima and kiryu are moving in roughly similar yet non-overlapping circles, so there's still a sense of mounting action between their two stories as you switch back and forth

Y4 has none of that, you just get knocked back to the beginning of the next character's story after hitting a crucial point in the last, so it's build-build-build-RESET-build-build-build-RESET and so on

Can I assume Y5 has similar problems, or does the five cities thing help at all?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Can I assume Y5 has similar problems, or does the five cities thing help at all?

it has the same problem with everything being abruptly jerked back to square one after you're done with a chapter, but unlike Y4 the story does a better job of making each character feel like a moving piece in a much larger operation (at least the ones i've dealt with so far, i haven't gotten to Baseball Man just yet). even Haruka's chapter folds back into larger events pretty neatly

in Y4 everything is so disjointed and dumb that the finale seems based in sheer exasperation, no one knows why anyone is doing what they're doing and just want to punch each other until the stupidity stops

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Wolfsheim posted:

It's way worse in Yakuza 5 since the game gets to a high point in the story and basically you start a new game every ten hours. There's barely any overlap in the plots until the final chapter where it expects you to have remembered all the 10-12 hour story arcs prior like you just finished them all at once yesterday. Culminating in a final boss where you're just kind of like... really? This guy?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah, I might take a break before Y5.

I'm also inordinately annoyed that Y4 fucks up the combat gauntlet, the time-honored tradition of running down a series of hallways punctuated by big guys holding chairs, by putting one in Kamuro Hills and making it...a maze? With dead ends and fake doors and such? Completely kills the momentum, just a totally baffling design decision!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nohman posted:

It's way worse in Yakuza 5 since the game gets to a high point in the story and basically you start a new game every ten hours. There's barely any overlap in the plots until the final chapter where it expects you to have remembered all the 10-12 hour story arcs prior like you just finished them all at once yesterday. Culminating in a final boss where you're just kind of like... really? This guy?

My favorite part about that is even the final boss is like "Yeah uh... I guess I am the final boss huh?"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

wafflemoose posted:

*Saeko shouting from a parking lot a block away from the fight* You're gonna get STOMPED!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

English Joon-gi Han's voice is also just super nice and cool, 'BE STILL~' as he runs up to tase the hell out of enemies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nohman posted:

actually it's better in yakuza 5 because the plot is good and thus you will remember because it's worth caring about

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

wafflemoose posted:

I'm a big fan of AHM FUKKEN PISSED

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Wait was it 4 or 5 that had the plot point of "Hey, if we beat the poo poo out of each other maybe we can reveal who the bad guy is!"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
5 iirc was the one where everyone decided “well the bad guys unsuccessfully tried to trick us into fighting, let’s fight to lure them out!”, 4 was the more grounded “we put all the money on the tower to lure the bad guys”.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Amppelix posted:

actually it's better in yakuza 5 because the plot is good and thus you will remember because it's worth caring about

I think you played a different 5 than the one I just finished. Shinada's segment was some of the best Yakuza we've ever had, but the finale was the low point of the series thus far. I mean I sort of respect their decision to repeat the end of 4 but with less absurdity and more stupidity, but then the game just keeps going until the plot has entirely vanished into

Nohman posted:

... really? This guy?

They flat out forgot to write even a single antagonist but pretended they had enough of them for a surprise last-second reveal.

In happier news, 6 is mostly good so far. They did Haruka dirty but they started that trend with her segment in 5 so it feels more like cauterizing the wound than a new problem.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Irony.or.Death posted:

In happier news, 6 is mostly good so far. They did Haruka dirty but they started that trend with her segment in 5 so it feels more like cauterizing the wound than a new problem.

still waiting on 6’s pc release, but that’s a shame to hear because i struggle to think of a relevant female character in the preceding games that doesn’t get done dirty

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm a big fan of AHM FUKKEN PISSED

All of the combat dubs for when a player is affected by rage is hysterical. Saeko specifically always cracks me up and I love the little things like that in LAD.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the protagonist switching gimmick of 4 and 5 is interesting but it obviously works much better in 0 due to the back-and-forth and only having two protagonists to work with. I'm in Shinada's story in 5 and while this is probably the strongest individual story in the game so far, the overarching plot is pretty non-existent minus whatever scraps we've gotten so far about Majima in each of the previous character stories. I think this is honestly way more of a problem in 5 than in 4 even if 4's story is weaker because almost no characters have appeared in multiple stories so far. Like, I still have no idea how anything relates to anything else.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

4 and 5’s plots are peak series nonsense but 5 at least had a poo poo ton of varied content going for it. 4 being just one city and imo the weakest plot kinda puts it towards the bottom even if the new characters kept things sort of fresh.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

double negative posted:

still waiting on 6’s pc release, but that’s a shame to hear because i struggle to think of a relevant female character in the preceding games that doesn’t get done dirty

It's pretty much just the lady who runs New Serena as far as I can remember

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Amppelix posted:

yeah the overarching plot in yakuza 5 can get lost in the minutiae of all the other crap you have to do (haruka's chapter never loving ends) but it's a lot stronger than 4's and laid out pretty well at the start. the tojo clan is in a precarious position and sent out ambassadors to smaller clans across tokyo, all of whom keep getting mysteriously whacked or disappeared before they can finish their jobs. the protags of Y5 are all people who get caught up in one of those ambassadorships gone awry, and are drawn into kamurocho for the grand finale

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

All of the combat dubs for when a player is affected by rage is hysterical. Saeko specifically always cracks me up and I love the little things like that in LAD.

A lot of the combat dialogue in general is amazing. Zhao as fortune teller is great just because he goes out of his way to try to sound spooky in the same way a Scooby Doo villain would. "Lightning's gonna oooooowwwwwwnnnn your rear end!" :allears:

Also, every single interaction with Essence of Titillating Claws is solid gold, from Nanba's "I could die happy now..." to Saeko's "Who's got the honk-honk now, boy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_8uod01VTI

Novasol fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

I think you played a different 5 than the one I just finished. Shinada's segment was some of the best Yakuza we've ever had, but the finale was the low point of the series thus far. I mean I sort of respect their decision to repeat the end of 4 but with less absurdity and more stupidity, but then the game just keeps going until the plot has entirely vanished into
The awful mandatory final boss reveal is the only major issue i have with 5. Otherwise it's quite sensibly constructed and draws you in with both everyone's individual stories and the emerging grander scheme.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

All of the combat dubs for when a player is affected by rage is hysterical.

The potential for friendly fire is worth it to hear the drunk lines.

Adachi: WHAAAHDYOOUUWAAANNNT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

yeah the overarching plot in yakuza 5 can get lost in the minutiae of all the other crap you have to do (haruka's chapter never loving ends) but it's a lot stronger than 4's and laid out pretty well at the start. the tojo clan is in a precarious position and sent out ambassadors to smaller clans across tokyo, all of whom keep getting mysteriously whacked or disappeared before they can finish their jobs. the protags of Y5 are all people who get caught up in one of those ambassadorships gone awry, and are drawn into kamurocho for the grand finale

Amppelix posted:

The awful mandatory final boss reveal is the only major issue i have with 5. Otherwise it's quite sensibly constructed and draws you in with both everyone's individual stories and the emerging grander scheme.

I think I broadly agree with both of you, just...it feels like a stretch to call that the plot when it's all stuff we learn in the opening taxi ride. It's a fine premise. The individual segments contain some interesting beats that don't have any apparent connection to that opening premise so I was certainly curious about how it was all going to come together in the finale. But then it turns out the answer is terribly, in a way that makes no sense even by series standards. Reminder: the "villain" wanted to make sure Saejima was out of the way, and his approach to this starts with breaking Saejima out of prison and culminates with persuading Saejima to have a fist fight with Majima. I'm as happy as the next guy that Saejima punched a bear out along the way, but that's just breathtaking. We are left with some good vignettes inside of a really bad story.

I may still be really mad about the mis- and under-use of Majima.