Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The first handful of saw movies aren't even that graphic. It wasn't until post-4 that's all it had left. I think people conflate it with Hostel. Or it's the Texas Chainsaw effect where they remember it being bloodier than it was.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Saw is just as evocative as a title as TCM is. It crawls into peoples heads and lays their worst thoughts out into display. 2 is where it goes straight into gratuitous gross moments. I think the needle pit is still the one thing the general population remember the most.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i abhor the Saw gore, but guffaw at Saw lore

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

a good post from you, nevermore

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i just saw the opportunity for a zinger that wasnt personally directed at u lol

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

i just saw the opportunity for a zinger that wasnt personally directed at u lol

i've slogged through the entire saw franchise, it takes a lot more than that to offend me

penny for your thoughts on the new RZ album by the way? i'm enjoying it quite a bit, the good songs on it are v good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like the first saw movie. Maybe the first two. But I hate having an entire series where people who do petty poo poo die horrifically. I don’t like.

Also boring.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

But I hate having an entire series where people who do petty poo poo die horrifically

This is also a description Ft13th/Halloween/TCM etc and i bet you like those

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's a little more explicit in Saw since they always hear the little recording which details how they hosed up.

In TCM/Halloween/F13 people are just doing normal things but in the wrong place

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spatulater bro! posted:

tbh I've never really gotten the whole "omg they killed the dog!" thing. I mean I like dogs too. And all animals. And people in general. The whole point of watching horror is seeing unpleasant stuff. :shrug:

People are weird, everyone's brains are wired differently and everyone has different things that make them feel uncomfortable and takes them out of a movie based on their own experiences and values.

For some people it's child death, for some people it's animal death, for some people it's sexual assaults, and some people just can't stand watching horror movies of any kind.

It's just one of those things you either can or can't tolerate, like liking cilantro or enjoying pineapple on pizza.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

This is also a description Ft13th/Halloween/TCM etc and i bet you like those

Right but they don’t kill themselves because some jackass kidnapped them for smoking.

I hate saw. I want a fun slasher slashin not people ripping themselves apart.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Has anyone seen Pieces of Talent from 2014? It's a super low budget indie movie (~ $75,000), but it's absolutely top notch. It seems to only be available on Blu-ray/DVD directly from the director, but I absolutely encourage anyone who enjoys gory serial killer type horror to buy a copy. The acting, cinematography, story and gore effects are all A-grade. I can't believe a film this good is still relegated to the underground scene. This deserves to be on one of the major streaming sites. Shudder at the very least.

Here's the trailer, but warning it's fairly spoilery, so I suggest only watching up to the 1:30 point:
https://vimeo.com/50478243

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

People are weird, everyone's brains are wired differently and everyone has different things that make them feel uncomfortable and takes them out of a movie based on their own experiences and values.

For some people it's child death, for some people it's animal death, for some people it's sexual assaults, and some people just can't stand watching horror movies of any kind.

It's just one of those things you either can or can't tolerate, like liking cilantro or enjoying pineapple on pizza.

And some of us enjoy Puppy Play.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I had negative memories of Alien 3 from back when it came out but when I watched it recently I kinda liked it. Also my rottweiler mix was in the room when the dog dies and I said to him “don’t look buddy its going to be scary!” but he looked anyway because the dog was whining. He didn’t seem to mind, so maybe the truth is in the middle and both Alien 3 and cinematic dog death is just ok.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The assembly cut is better and it replaced a dog with an Ox so mostly no.

It’s hella cheap.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

yeah mean was the wrong word I guess I meant like...certain criteria? Like people are fine with watching people get absolutely butchered unless its a dog or a pregnant lady then the movie becomes "too much". Idk why people who enjoy slashers clutch their pearls when the WRONG person gets butchered.

I mean it's not a absolutist "no pregnant ladies get hurt" line for me, but maybe if you're going to have a scene like that maybe have a point to it. I would have no problem seeing that if it was framed within a interesting context that was exploring something. The context of AvP: Reqiuem was, to me, "you complained the last film wasn't violent enough, WELL, look what we've got for you!", it seemed entirely cynical and pandering and just empty, which made it gross. She's not a character in the film, she's just a pregnant lady the film introduces solely to get butchered. Had she been a character, had that scene actually been about something other than empty spectacle to convince fans this was not the previous film, then I would have probably felt different about it. All the previous Alien stuff with the chest-burster and kids being hurt, and later stuff like the impromptu abortion scene in Prometheus all felt like it was going for something, which AVP2 did not.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 15, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The brothers strause are weirdo edgelords.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Karloff posted:

The context of AvP: Reqiuem was, to me, "you complained the last film wasn't violent enough, WELL, look what we've got for you!"

That all reads like some kind of conspiracy theory. The movie's about a monster that specifically replaces babies with demonic creatures, as in the changeling myth. It couldn't be meaningless if they'd tried.

The plot is set into motion by a cop covering up the death of a child, one of the protagonists is a mother protecting her daughter, and sexism is a recurring theme (e.g. the scene where the waitress gets creeped on). You can probably figure it out.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Spatulater bro! posted:

Inside is a good example. Not fun in the slightest, and I absolutely adore it because of how much it affects me every time without fail.

I’ll have to check this out.

The City of Lost Children is same for me.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

yeah mean was the wrong word I guess I meant like...certain criteria? Like people are fine with watching people get absolutely butchered unless its a dog or a pregnant lady then the movie becomes "too much". Idk why people who enjoy slashers clutch their pearls when the WRONG person gets butchered.

Like others have said, life experiences factor in. Before I was pregnant with my son, child death in a horror film didn't phase me at all. After I had him, I couldn't watch it anymore. Pre-teens/teens and older, I can still watch. Animal death unless it was blatantly fake (effects are a stuffed animal covered in red Karo syrup), I never could do because I've always been that one who will nurse a sick/injured animal back to health, and can't do animal fostering because I know I'd be a foster fail.

Even with the horror films that go straight for the gutpunch or wreck your head for days afterwards, on average, I can't watch. I need to have my head in a particular mindset to be able to sit through them and frankly as of late, my head's been nowhere near that mindset and I'm not sure if I'll ever have it again.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's strange what hits you the most, and it's likely different for everyone.

i can sit through most stuff with no dramas but found Cold Fish to be a gut punch. something about how flat and nihilistic it was really made me feel that hollow dread.

also Snowtown, well, i just flat out didn't want to talk about that until i had processed it

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

i can sit through most stuff with no dramas but found Cold Fish to be a gut punch. something about how flat and nihilistic it was really made me feel that hollow dread.

also Snowtown, well, i just flat out didn't want to talk about that until i had processed it

This happened to me with Noriko’s Dinner Table, it just hit me so much harder than Suicide Club did

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

I saw Saw 2 by the seashore

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dog and child death gets to people harder because when your dog or child dies, it's typically your fault for doing something wrong (except with disease/age), thus another layer of guilt for not protecting correctly on top. People juxtapose their kids or dogs onto the screen and feel really bad about it because of that (also why people without a kid or dog don't often feel that way).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

The first handful of saw movies aren't even that graphic. It wasn't until post-4 that's all it had left. I think people conflate it with Hostel. Or it's the Texas Chainsaw effect where they remember it being bloodier than it was.

We had this discussion earlier, but Hostel isn't that gory either really. A little bit more than Saw 1, but not that much. People imagine more than what happens in those movies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

Has anyone seen Pieces of Talent from 2014? It's a super low budget indie movie (~ $75,000), but it's absolutely top notch. It seems to only be available on Blu-ray/DVD directly from the director, but I absolutely encourage anyone who enjoys gory serial killer type horror to buy a copy. The acting, cinematography, story and gore effects are all A-grade. I can't believe a film this good is still relegated to the underground scene. This deserves to be on one of the major streaming sites. Shudder at the very least.

Here's the trailer, but warning it's fairly spoilery, so I suggest only watching up to the 1:30 point:
https://vimeo.com/50478243

Definitely an underseen gem. I picked up the DVD back when it first came out (read about it Fangoria or Rue Morgue probably) and really enjoyed it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the truth about dog death in movies is that they're blank slates, so we tend to transfer our feelings about our own dogs onto them, and literally all dogs are good dogs(assuming you're a dog person). People are a more complicated situation because we've all had bad experiences with people. People we don't like, people who betrayed us, people who annoy us, people who we'd be just fine with never seeing again for the rest of our lives. So we're already primed to use that part of our brain that wants to say "well that bad thing happened to them because they did something wrong", and horror movies often try to help us along with that by showing that yes, these people are in fact assholes who in some way earned their fate. You can't do that with dogs.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think it might be as simple as child/dog death makes people sad instead of scared. Similarly I’ve found that I have a strong reaction to smug cruelty when it’s depicted in movies but it’s not because I’m scared, I get agitated and borderline angry. It’s not enough to stop me from watching anything though.

alf_pogs posted:

I feel like you should get a pass for being a little hosed up from Snowtown. It’s based on a true story, starts out with child molestation and somehow gets worse. I think anyone with basal human empathy who engaged with the movie should be bummed out by it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Darko posted:

We had this discussion earlier, but Hostel isn't that gory either really. A little bit more than Saw 1, but not that much. People imagine more than what happens in those movies.

Counterpoint: dude cuts that lady's dangling eye off of her skull with a God drat pair of scissors in hostel.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hostel is incredibly gory for a mainstream movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea the Achilles scene is still quite good and effective for how old it is. The rest of the movie is practically building to that shot and it’s sorta worth it.

Also boobs.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Vince MechMahon posted:

Counterpoint: dude cuts that lady's dangling eye off of her skull with a God drat pair of scissors in hostel.

Blood shower in Part II was better.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think the truth about dog death in movies is that they're blank slates, so we tend to transfer our feelings about our own dogs onto them, and literally all dogs are good dogs(assuming you're a dog person). People are a more complicated situation because we've all had bad experiences with people. People we don't like, people who betrayed us, people who annoy us, people who we'd be just fine with never seeing again for the rest of our lives. So we're already primed to use that part of our brain that wants to say "well that bad thing happened to them because they did something wrong", and horror movies often try to help us along with that by showing that yes, these people are in fact assholes who in some way earned their fate. You can't do that with dogs.

Bingo. Same with babies and children. They are presumed innocent unless we see them doing something very wrong, and then it's ok if they die/get mulched/etc. That's why Pitch Black surprised the hell outta me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If a horror movie has a great kid death I give it an extra star. I think my brain might be broken.

e: don't you dare touch that dog, though, that's a good dog who has done nothing wrong! But that kid's gotta be stopped before it turns into an adult.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

If a horror movie has a great kid death I give it an extra star. I think my brain might be broken.

Color Out of Space has a great one.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

e: don't you dare touch that dog, though, that's a good dog who has done nothing wrong! But that kid's gotta be stopped before it turns into an adult.

The Blob has always been one of my favorites.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

u monster 😱

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

feedmyleg posted:

Is it possible to give Maximum Overdrive 6 stars?