Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grandma Panic! posted:

Thanks for the Patlabor reccs, never expected to be into a mecha anime that is 90% procedural/bureaucracy.

What if mechs, but too many, and they're buggier than a smart fridge?

Sounds like some material for the lovely technology thread, I love that kind of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SolarFire2 posted:

Here's the old Toonami promo for 08th MS Team, which I think does a pretty good job of selling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHORiWcYzEY

This is the short one. Here's the full length one, which is one of my favorite things ever. You haven't lived until you've heard Optimus Prime say "march toward oblivion."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJVC_d1tMLc

Toonami Trailers are the loving best. They're seared into my mind for all time.

While we're on this topic and also the topic of how important Gundam Wing on Toonami was, here's the legendary 2 minute trailer for that, which for a poo poo ton of Americans was probably the very first Gundam related thing they ever saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Sanguinia posted:

This is the short one. Here's the full length one, which is one of my favorite things ever. You haven't lived until you've heard Optimus Prime say "march toward oblivion."

Toonami Trailers are the loving best. They're seared into my mind for all time.

I admit, I picked the short one just because I love hearing Peter Cullen say, "Spacenoids against Earth-dwellers. Zeke against Feddie."

But you are absolutely correct, all of the Golden Age toonami promos are outstanding and have a few lines that really stand out ni their delivery by Optimus.

Some of my other favorites are "In war, everyone's a casualty." from War in the Pocket, also deserving of some love in this thread! And, "Hated and feared, he is known as Hitokiri Battousai; The Manslayer." from Ruroni Kenshin.

Coeus
Sep 21, 2006

Toonami promos are seriously top tier. They trick you into thinking you're about to watch an action packed show, even though all those scenes are spread out across about a hundred episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QLEK_Cg3hE

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Pretty sure this narration is the reason Gundam has a western fanbase. (Also yikes at not respecting the aspect ratio.)

Then they tried as hard as they could to copy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9PASx3bgA

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

twistedmentat posted:

It's Mamarou Oshii which is pretty much a good sign no matter what. Its funny because the TV series is pretty silly, but the movies are serious as hell.
Almost every version of patlabor is good for different reasons. The second movie in particular is so dry and slow that I actually think it's a pretty big weakness. One which anime fans who know of it tend to overlook because it can be held up as a totally serious, adult film-which is something many anime fans still have a chip on their shoulder about. But it still features a lot of compelling visuals and in particular some frankly overindulgent(but highly appreciated) extremely detailed mecha shots.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure this narration is the reason Gundam has a western fanbase. (Also yikes at not respecting the aspect ratio.)

Then they tried as hard as they could to copy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9PASx3bgA

I think when its a thing you made yourself that you're copying and its like 3 decades later and its almost exactly the same, you have to call that an homage.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Coeus posted:

Toonami promos are seriously top tier. They trick you into thinking you're about to watch an action packed show, even though all those scenes are spread out across about a hundred episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QLEK_Cg3hE

holy poo poo Robotech looking better than ever

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gotta admit, including the shot where the main character executes a restrained captive is some bold advertising.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

I think when its a thing you made yourself that you're copying and its like 3 decades later and its almost exactly the same, you have to call that an homage.

I mean, it's not like it's in the slightest an alien concept to Western media that's full of fuckloads of remakes, reboots, ripoffs and revisions.

As said elsewhere, Gundam Wing despite apparently being considered a weaker entry in the grand scheme of the franchise was a massive entry point for the Western fanbase who had never seen anything like it before, and who seemed to spread out into the various versions and generally found one that suits them best.

Was said elsewhere that crossover fans apparently like to pair up the pacifist characters with the G Gundam ones, and I honestly can see that working; the ones for whom Gundam battles are a fun sport getting along well with the ones who really loving hate all the bloodshed and brutality.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Midjack posted:

Gotta admit, including the shot where the main character executes a restrained captive is some bold advertising.

This is one of the reasons I loved that poo poo as a kid. Uh, not executing restrained captives, that is. More that Western cartoons were condescending and insulting in what they thought kids could handle.

Saturday mornings in the 80s, I'd get up early to watch the big cartoon block and it would go from pabulum like Superfriends and Scooby Doo*, to something like Robotech or Star Blazers. Shows with character arcs, and good people who weren't perfect and made mistakes with consequences.

And characters dying - which was unheard of in every other Western cartoon at the time**.

All those other cartoons were enjoyable enough in their own right. But what was coming out of Japan was generations ahead of anything else. It was still simplified and designed for children, true. But it felt like it was being made by people who respected what children are capable of.

* To be fair to Scooby Doo, it was also the only other kids show where you couldn't immediately guess the entire rest of the show from the first 30 seconds, even though every episode did follow along the same lines of of monster scares people > gang arrives > high jinks ensue > rich white man shown to be evil.

** Okay, apart from Bambi.

EDIT: And Watership Down. But, gently caress that loving cartoon.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 17, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is one of the reasons I loved that poo poo as a kid. Uh, not executing restrained captives, that is. More that Western cartoons were condescending and insulting in what they thought kids could handle.

Saturday mornings in the 80s, I'd get up early to watch the big cartoon block and it would go from pabulum like Superfriends and Scooby Doo*, to something like Robotech or Star Blazers. Shows with character arcs, and good people who weren't perfect and made mistakes with consequences.

And characters dying - which was unheard of in every other Western cartoon at the time**.

All those other cartoons were enjoyable enough in their own right. But what was coming out of Japan was generations ahead of anything else. It was still simplified and designed for children, true. But it felt like it was being made by people who respected what children are capable of.

* To be fair to Scooby Doo, it was also the only other kids show where you couldn't immediately guess the entire rest of the show from the first 30 seconds, even though every episode did follow along the same lines of of monster scares people > gang arrives > high jinks ensue > rich white man shown to be evil.

** Okay, apart from Bambi.

EDIT: And Watership Down. But, gently caress that loving cartoon.

What's really impressive about 60s-70s anime is how it held up when it was getting pushed alongside the best of the 80s and 90s in America, from Transformers to Gargoyles, and wasn't even completely eclipsed by its own successors despite those drawing much more cultural significance (see Dragonball vs Z).

I guess that's how you know when something was actually ahead of its time: When its time gets here you can keep putting it on TV.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Watching Robotech and Starblazers as a kid primed me for Babylon 5 and now the Expanse.

No matter what the future brings, Starblazers will always the coolest ships and Destroids are the coolest robots.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Destroid Monster.

You can still find the metal model they put out on ebay occasionally. Yours for a lazy half a grand.

EDIT: loving stairs

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 17, 2021

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

smooth jazz posted:

Watching Robotech and Starblazers as a kid primed me for Babylon 5 and now the Expanse.

No matter what the future brings, Starblazers will always the coolest ships and Destroids are the coolest robots.

They remade the series Starblazers is based on, it seems pretty drat good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeOCJDqGhtg

And if anyone tries to claim it's inappropriate for the Mecha thread to discuss it, Yamato 2199 appeared in Super Robot Wars V.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

smooth jazz posted:

Sorry, the way Mechwarrior 2 voice over guy says "STONE RHINO" on the mech select screen makes the Battletech version cooler than the Robotech one

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Sorry, the way Mechwarrior 2 voice over guy says "STONE RHINO" on the mech select screen makes the Battletech version cooler than the Robotech one

"AWESOME"

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 17, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

wdarkk posted:

And if anyone tries to claim it's inappropriate for the Mecha thread to discuss it, Yamato 2199 appeared in Super Robot Wars V.

Yup, seen it. It rules in every way, but towards the end of 2202, there's literally thousands of battleships flying around like fighters which was a bit much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think this is in large part what propelled the success of Toonami, as well. There was a large market of teens and preteens which just hadn't been served up until then.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

wdarkk posted:

2199 would be a perfect remake if it weren't so goddamn horny.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Destroid Monster.

You can still find the metal model they put out on ebay occasionally. Yours for a lazy half a grand.

EDIT: loving stairs

I loved that bit in the final battle of Macross Frontier where the Monster goes flying in to attack the Battle Galaxy, gets winged and crashes on one of Battle Galaxy's arms, but still manages to prop itself up so it can use those four big guns to shoot four nuclear ~reaction~ warheads right into Battle Galaxy's face

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gundam wing is actually the best gundam au

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It does have the Geese what is Tall, a strong point in its favor

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Animal-Mother posted:

My favorite thing to do in Mechwarrior 2 was to take the fastest mech available, rip everything out (including the heat sinks) and see how fast it could go before exploding.

Jenner pilot spotted.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Gundam Wing's mech designs were rad as hell but I think I prefer the standard versions. the Endless Waltz versions are too flashy

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Except the Serpent, which owned

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Endless Waltz Deathscythe is hands down the coolest Gundam.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

PeterWeller posted:

The Endless Waltz Deathscythe is hands down the coolest Gundam.

Its the Nightengale. Although I guess that's technically not a gundam...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
G Gundam is the best Gundam next question.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who What Now posted:

It is known

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Who What Now posted:

Yes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
None of your statements are valid unless they include images.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Who What Now posted:

I don't follow, how was this a question at all?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was at the weeb shop and kinda wanted to get a Tallgeese model kit just because the design is rad.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lancer_RPG/status/1371665983958622210

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was at the weeb shop and kinda wanted to get a Tallgeese model kit just because the design is rad.

Sanguinia posted:

Its the Nightengale. Although I guess that's technically not a gundam...

Who What Now posted:

I don't know poo poo about Gundam, so I googled these. None of them are a grim reaper robot with an articulated armored wing-cape.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inside Out features a squad piloting the mech, ergo better

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PeterWeller posted:

I don't know poo poo about Gundam, so I googled these. None of them are a grim reaper robot with an articulated armored wing-cape.

No, but one of them is a cactus-bandito

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The MG and RG kits are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

PeterWeller posted:

excuse me, one of them has a flying robot horse, piloted by an actual horse

g gundam absolutely does not give a gently caress about realism and i love it