Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Remember the game launches with cross play so you can play with all your homies on whatever system they use.

That Games Pass is smoking hot for this if you have the xboner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Yay! I will definitely sub to get this for PC when i-

Rinkles posted:

it's not on pc gamepass though

Why do you build me up, buttercup baby, just to let me down and mess me around?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lmao Squeenix had very little faith in this game selling decently on Xbox

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Well that's one less copy in our household. Shame about no PC, but meh. If I can scrape a large number of hours hunting loot for 45 bones or whatever gmg is selling for... that's a win.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Now I gotta go through the demo with my Xbox. That’s sucks but hey saves me $60.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing it was selling like poo poo on Xbox but healthily on Steam? Fuckin sucks, but I guess it probably won't be full price for too long on PC :(

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Imagine if it’s also a free game on PlayStation Plus next month :xd:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Once a game appears in the game pass, the likelihood of it appearing free everywhere increase, but I think Sony have better bullets than this one.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

You can bet your wieners and balls that that will happen.

When you check out most articles and interviews with these devs in AAA development, they’re all scared shitless of if their games will sell or have longevity, especially in the pandemic.

You hear about good successes from Fall Guys, Valheim, Loop Hero and many more. But AAA, it’s heavy investment with tough ROI.

And Squeenix has absolutely been losing good will in online communities over the past year. Some wins, but many losses.

Yeah, Games Pass, EA Play are smart moves right now in today’s gaming climate.

loving crazy stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I lol'd when I saw this article about it being on Gamepass, imagining buying this after the beta then finding that out later would have pissed me off. I'm bummed its not on PC though because I might actually play this game if I was able to play on Gamepass until I had my fill but eh :shrug:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
MS must have paid a shitload for this, or the game was selling so abjectly on Xbox that whatever MS offered was more.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Real talk, how are games selling on the new Xbox at all?

I always thought the hype around the new Xbox was horrendous and the PS5 was what got all the buys and looks and excitement.

Hell, I would basically only do the Games Pass if I was an Xbox owner.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

When 3rd party games are Gamepass/PSN+ games at launch, one of two things probably happened. Either the publisher doesn't believe in the game and took the right now money Microsoft/Sony give for games with going on their respective service so it's a better than average chance it comes to both. Or Microsoft throws down dumb money for exclusivity on Gamepass because they liked the returns they were seeing on pre-orders and want to lock that poo poo down.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Probably spot on jabro.

This feels like what I see Epic do when they do the exclusive launches.

More often than not, the game was not good and the team took the guarantee money because they didn’t believe they would recoup the costs. I’m looking at you (tons of games but......) Godfall.

I’m not looking at you, Hitman 3.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's certainly a compelling reason to buy into their hardware ecosystem. A one off payment for the console, a reasonable monthly sub, and you basically don't need to pay for games ever.

Just wish there was complete parity between console and PC so I won't miss out if they're gonna start picking up big 3rd party games day one.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Bardeh posted:

It's certainly a compelling reason to buy into their hardware ecosystem. A one off payment for the console, a reasonable monthly sub, and you basically don't need to pay for games ever.

Just wish there was complete parity between console and PC so I won't miss out if they're gonna start picking up big 3rd party games day one.

Yeah, I would love this on PC Games Pass too. Increase the population, let people see the game in its entirety and make a judgment, build goodwill for Squeenix for their next game(s) to show they still know what they’re doing.

Because boy howdy, they’re treading water with BioWare/EA if they launch another dud.

Microsoft is spending heavy too, and I don’t know the details or anything, so I’m speculating, but I would think they could go into negotiations for PC Games Pass and take more guaranteed money.

Or maybe it is selling well on PC. Supposedly it is. Who knows.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Do game pass games leave on a regular schedule, like after a month? Or is it on a case by case basis?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ZeeBoi posted:

Do game pass games leave on a regular schedule, like after a month? Or is it on a case by case basis?

Case by case basis. I have a feeling it usually has to do with a game's performance on the service. It's never a month though, feels like games are on there for more than a year at least but I've never played a game that got removed from the service before.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Microsoft first-party stuff never leaves, but I feel most games get at least ~12 months on the service before cycling off.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

The Microsoft first-party stuff never leaves, but I feel most games get at least ~12 months on the service before cycling off.

It's literally one year for most third-party stuff. They do a good job of telling you when stuff is leaving though, like there will be a warning a month ahead of time when you go to launch the game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ICR posted:

I always thought the hype around the new Xbox was horrendous and the PS5 was what got all the buys and looks and excitement.

The gaming news cycle quickly turned to Cyberpunk flopping gloriously, but the shortages and old console games that may/may not upgrade in the future always featured the PS5 outlook even if the same poo poo was happening on both sides. I'm guessing that's mainly due to seven years of winning the console war. If you're invested into a given ecosystem you'll tend to stick there.

From the outside looking in I thought Gamepass would be A Really Big Deal(c) this gen, especially with MS gobbling up devs, but I guess that shows what I know. :shrug:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Mailer posted:

From the outside looking in I thought Gamepass would be A Really Big Deal(c) this gen, especially with MS gobbling up devs, but I guess that shows what I know. :shrug:
18 million subscribers isn't something to sneeze at though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
some different enemy types and environments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDqsxTmFG8

(from august 2020)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 16, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'd be perfectly fine with Square-Enix just turning this into "Monster Hunter with guns and abilities".

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Smart to try to get a playerbase set up before they start selling dlc and mtx. Destiny is going to be hard to overtake so they are worried after Avengers.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aw man, I read it was coming to GamePass and thought I could actually play it then, but I didn't realize it was xbone gamepass only.

Now I won't even buy it on sale, waiting for the PC gamepass to catch up :v:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Aw man, I read it was coming to GamePass and thought I could actually play it then, but I didn't realize it was xbone gamepass only.

Now I won't even buy it on sale, waiting for the PC gamepass to catch up :v:

If it comes to pc gamepass. There's a fair chance it won't.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ErrEff posted:

I'd be perfectly fine with Square-Enix just turning this into "Monster Hunter with guns and abilities".

I doubt you'll get the sheer fun monhun has (most of the time) of fighting enemies. They're just the objective standing between you and possibly better loot. Vaporizing them as quickly as possible is the entire point of the expeditions endgame and you'll get more benefit out of number go up than learning the dance in MH.

As far as I can tell their idea for an endgame is just OP levels and Digistruct Peak from BL2, but without the design weaknesses OP levels had. This is great for me because (with cheating to cover one of the aforementioned weaknesses) I absolutely loved the challenge of pushing through those.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

orange juche posted:

If it comes to pc gamepass. There's a fair chance it won't.

I'm more interested in seeing if it comes to PlayStation Plus. I've got a PS5 but not an Xbox Series X, and it's going to be interesting to see if Square and Microsoft did some kind of exclusivity deal, or if Square are just pimping Outriders out to any subscription service that will take it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

One thing to note about all this is if Square does an exclusively deal it’s usually with Sony.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I’m still playing Godfall so I am absolutely the mark Sony knows will buy this at full price.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Have the devs said anything about adding more controller settings, like acceleration, deadzone, etc? The demo feels pretty snappy on PC but hot drat, aiming feels like complete rear end on xbox no matter how I set the sensitivity sliders they give you. It just feels so goddamn slippery.

I guess I could try setting up a custom response curve on my Elite to counter it, but yeesh.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I would bet cash money on no such settings being anywhere in the console versions.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

you can tweak ADS sensitivity and ADS sniper scope sensitivity separately but that's as complex as it gets

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PCF at least seem pretty receptive to feedback

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Roman posted:

you can tweak ADS sensitivity and ADS sniper scope sensitivity separately but that's as complex as it gets

Yeah I know, but there's crazy aim acceleration on everything no matter how you set those up. If you move the stick, your view/aim moves at a normal speed for a bout a second before it slips on a banana peel and goes flying at mach 3. The only solution seems to be to crank the sensitivity on everything way down which a) feels awful in its own way and b) still doesn't do away with the sudden insane speed increase if you hold a direction longer than a split second.

I tried the old Gears of War trick of having my regular sensitivity high for ease of turning and general movement + a pretty low ADs speed for precision and relying on the auto aim snap to make up the difference, but I still can't get it to feel remotely comfortable to use.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Here’s a look at the game Monster Hunter: Outriders

https://twitter.com/outridersplus/status/1371915324661100551?s=21

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Wish this dumb bad game was out already.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ICR posted:

Here’s a look at the game Monster Hunter: Outriders

https://twitter.com/outridersplus/status/1371915324661100551?s=21

This is awesome. I want to hunt more dumb animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Huh, I played the demo and it didn't wow me at all, but I'll play it on and off for free.