Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/zack-snyders-justice-league-review-ben-affleck-gal-gadot-henry-cavill-1234928648/

"One of the rare great comic book movies"

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I wonder how all the stars of JL feel about the positive reviews.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:D

Mr. Apollo posted:

Justified

:cheeky:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

Or all the reviews saying Fisher is a standout.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"Hey, we finally got that happy medium of it being serious and epic while also appealing to people who want some funnies. Too bad we fired the guy and have no interest in following this direction anymore!"

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Aidan_702 posted:

I'm pretty sure every single Avenger has murdered multiple people (/sentient alien persons) in cold blood, but it's okay because there's a snappy quip going along with it - Spider-man might be the only one who hasn't in the films
Captain Marvel's slaughter of the Space Nazis isn't in cold blood (and they have it coming) but they are defenceless against her, she obviously enjoys killing them and it's presented as a triumph.

I want to see Superman demonstrating his power by lasering a bunch of sentient aliens but - to keep Snyder's critics at bay - he should say "Whoop!" as someone explodes with the John Williams theme blasting.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Remember how ATT was getting desperate and this 70 million dollar project had the potential to destroy the service.

Time and time again a bunch of streamers and youtubers have been shown they have no idea what’s going on.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How much of the 4-hour runtime is Martha Wayne's pearls flying thru the air in slow motion?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

smoobles posted:

How much of the 4-hour runtime is Martha Wayne's pearls flying thru the air in slow motion?

It's constantly superimposed over the rest of the film like Agent Cooper's face in the last half hour of Twin Peaks: The Return

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mr. Apollo posted:

Remember those Press Junkets where Ben Affleck had darkness over come him? And then he turned alcoholic? Maybe this will heal those wounds.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15/opinions/zack-snyders-justice-league-is-historic-farooqi/index.html

This reviewer is the guy who did the Forbes interview with Fisher that got him fired from Forbes.

Wait, what? What happened there?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Wait, what? What happened there?

He got fired after this article back in October:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sheraz...sh=7d944f1d2518

Then this happened:

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Are we posting reviews now? Matt Zoller Seitz (one of the main critics on Roger Ebert's website now) loved it and compared it to One from the Heart, Speed Racer, The Hudsucker Proxy, Playtime, and Satantango.

quote:

It often makes momentous promises or sets up seemingly important relationships which it promptly forgets. It's so bombastic that it makes "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" seem modest. It will mainly please the people who clamored for it. Even fans of the genre might consider it a bit much. It owes as much to rock concerts, video games, and multimedia installations as it does to commercial narrative filmmaking. It's maddening. It's monumental. It's art.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/zack-snyders-justice-league-movie-review-2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jimbot posted:

"Hey, we finally got that happy medium of it being serious and epic while also appealing to people who want some funnies. Too bad we fired the guy and have no interest in following this direction anymore!"

I have to imagine if the numbers pan out as expected the offer will be on the table for more with all of this critical acclaim. I don't know if Snyder is ready to walk away from the bullshit but it's telling that he has a new story outline done already with Jim Lee's storyboards. Maybe he has more power now to better dictate his future? WB already lost Nolan so I would think they would want to hold onto people and do whatever they.

I also don't know if something could be worked out with Fisher. I have to imagine his acting capabilities are being vindicated and he can get work when Hollywood opens up, but he may be done with WB too.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
One review I read said, "It's 4 hours long, half of that runtime in slow motion," and it made me laugh.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Almost Blue posted:

Are we posting reviews now? Matt Zoller Seitz (one of the main critics on Roger Ebert's website now) loved it and compared it to One from the Heart, Speed Racer, The Hudsucker Proxy, Playtime, and Satantango.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/zack-snyders-justice-league-movie-review-2021

gently caress yes

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

smoobles posted:

You know how the last track in The Wall fades seemlessly into the first track?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Zack Snyders Justice League: It's maddening. It's monumental. It's art.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

One review I read said, "It's 4 hours long, half of that runtime in slow motion," and it made me laugh.

Lol owns

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think I read that review too; was that the one who said if you just played it in real time, it would be 2 hours or was that someone else, haha.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's a genuinely funny burn too, hehe.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr. Apollo posted:

Zack Snyders Justice League: It's maddening. It's monumental. It's art.

New thread title please

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Thank you mods.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm sorry but count me as extremely skeptical of these reviews. The IGN review is so unbelievably glowing, its like this movie is going to save cinema.

Call me cynical but it feels like they're just pandering to the large vocal crowd they know supports the movie and wants it to be good. And those people are indeed going to run to twitter and shout about how they were right all along.

But Snyder also made Batman v Superman and that movie was unmitigated trash, as was everything he's done other than 300. Man of Steel was SO horribly bad. I just can't see this being significantly better.

Darko posted:

Or all the reviews saying Fisher is a standout.

But wasn't the word from the set that he himself HATED his part and personally asked for it to be cut?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Violator posted:

I have to imagine if the numbers pan out as expected the offer will be on the table for more with all of this critical acclaim. I don't know if Snyder is ready to walk away from the bullshit but it's telling that he has a new story outline done already with Jim Lee's storyboards. Maybe he has more power now to better dictate his future? WB already lost Nolan so I would think they would want to hold onto people and do whatever they.

I also don't know if something could be worked out with Fisher. I have to imagine his acting capabilities are being vindicated and he can get work when Hollywood opens up, but he may be done with WB too.

I think the main issue is with how this movie ends, it contradicts some of their post-JL releases.

The big decision they have to make is where to go with Aquaman 2 and The Flash after this and whether they want to do Snyders thing on HBO Max exclusively or continue it theatrically. Since The Flash is a Flashpoint story, its exactly WHAT its resetting that is a huge choice for WB/DC to make. Will it revert whatever ending ZSJL ends at? Will it totally reset everything to pre-MoS so that they can start completely fresh? Does it split the timeline between Snyders epic LOTR vision and DCs lingering desire for Marvel money/clout?

WB/DC has to decide what they want these run of films to be and who they want to be as a studio. Do they want Disney money and a "consistent" canon/franchise that will fund them for a century or do they want something more of a shortened singular run of films with a definite end? The Snyderverse was never meant to continue on forever like the MCU. Do they want to forever live in the shadow of Marvel trying to be them or be their own thing with its own identity and own goals and its own fanbase?

I dont think Snyder is going to put himself through this process again unless he has strict control over his films, I think hes happy to let others make whatever they want to outside of HIS movies, but they also have to mostly make sense as one world.

Honestly I think most people, the ones that will make WB this coveted Marvel money, do not give a poo poo either way what or how this continues. What they want to see is Cavil, Momoa, Gadot and maybe now even Ezra and Ray. What they really did right was casting and that in the long run will be the glue that keeps the potential for Snyders vision somewhat intact.

Maybe they do some light reset with Flashpoint to veer from the now revealed plans for JL2 and JL3 and we get a somewhat reworked version, who knows at this point.

I personally just dont see what WB gains from further complicating the matter by veering from the original plan. I think their biggest financial successes with Aquaman and WW(and Joker in some light) were successful because of the foundation Snyder laid down, not in spite of it. Hell there was clearly a time gap between the big ending to this movie that was clearly put there to allow years of stories inbetween to unfold.

I think the successful formula is clearly in front of them now, let Snyder handle the epic JL movies and let other directors have whatever fun they want with the characters outside of that. I think Snyder has shown he was more than willing to roll with that plan and the critical reception to JL makes it even more apparent how WB shot themselves in the foot and theres no reason beyond greed and paranoia that this shouldnt have worked for them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

But wasn't the word from the set that he himself HATED his part and personally asked for it to be cut?

no, the exact opposite

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

But Snyder also made Batman v Superman and that movie was unmitigated trash, as was everything he's done other than 300. Man of Steel was SO horribly bad. I just can't see this being significantly better.

Almost nobody shares this opinion and Man of Steel had Snyder's best audience scores of all time. Sorry, you're in the minority on this one. I would not expect anything out of ZSJL and you're probably better off playing Hitman 3 for 4 hours instead.

Also I can assure you as a Snyder-liker nobody is afraid to poo poo on me online for my opinions for over a decade. The idea that critics have suddenly developed a collective fear of SnyderDorks is, simply, ludicrous.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sorry but count me as extremely skeptical of these reviews. The IGN review is so unbelievably glowing, its like this movie is going to save cinema.

Call me cynical but it feels like they're just pandering to the large vocal crowd they know supports the movie and wants it to be good. And those people are indeed going to run to twitter and shout about how they were right all along.

Bizarro am not agree with this post very not much

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Almost nobody shares this opinion and Man of Steel had Snyder's best audience scores of all time. Sorry, you're in the minority on this one. I would not expect anything out of ZSJL and you're probably better off playing Hitman 3 for 4 hours instead.

Also I can assure you as a Snyder-liker nobody is afraid to poo poo on me online for my opinions for over a decade. The idea that critics have suddenly developed a collective fear of SnyderDorks is, simply, ludicrous.

I wasn't saying a fear of snyder fans so much as just easy engagement. Clickbait and all that. That's not the same as fear.

Lol at "almost nobody shares this opinion" though. Okay? Majority rules? Sorry for posting I guess.

Necrothatcher posted:

no, the exact opposite

Ralph the movie maker definitely said he heard someone say that, but maybe he's full of poo poo I don't know.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't saying a fear of snyder fans so much as just easy engagement. Clickbait and all that. That's not the same as fear.

You can make clickbait just as easily with negativity.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Why in the world would they suddenly reverse course and start clickbaiting with positivity after a literal decade of "this guy is an Objectivist Randian jock idiot" clickbait?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol at "almost nobody shares this opinion" though. Okay? Majority rules? Sorry for posting I guess.

Ralph the movie maker definitely said he heard someone say that, but maybe he's full of poo poo I don't know.

Yeah he is as Ray Fisher has been campaigning how poo poo Whedon was and how he was upset that Cyborg was tossed to the dirt. Welcome to 2020.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roth posted:

...of course you can. What's your point?

I said it was clickbait. He said "they're not afraid". I said "No, they're not afraid, the other kind of clickbait." You say both kinds of clickbait exists. That's true but doesn't change what I said.

I'm not saying they're wrong that's a kind of clickbait... I'm just saying that's not what I meant. Yeah?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Roth posted:

pretty much every youtube person will tell you that their negative stuff does WAY bigger numbers than positive stuff.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

BvS gets bad reviews

Snyders "cult": The reviews are rigged!

ZSJL gets great reviews

Snyders critics: The reviews are rigged!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is very funny with the hindsight of people spreading the idea that Snyder fans believe a conapiracy theory about reviews of DC and Marvel movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Why in the world would they suddenly reverse course and start clickbaiting with positivity after a literal decade of "this guy is an Objectivist Randian jock idiot" clickbait?

That sounds like an excellent way to freshen the bait actually

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No lie, pretty surprised to see someone say 300 is ZS's only good movie

Well his least trashiest movie at least

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

No lie, pretty surprised to see someone say 300 is ZS's only good movie

I mostly like Watchmen, although the Hallelujah scene alone basically ruins it for me. And the comic is just better, but that's typical of movie/comic -> film adaptations.

I hope y'all enjoy the film I just think IGN was overly glowing, and IGN isn't exactly the pinnacle of film journalism. Sorry if I rocked the boat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t feel like people who’ve posted in this thread for years are a non-biased audience and if the movie is good, anymore than you could post in the beer thread on the food forum about the values of teetoling. Reactions after everyone has watched it are ultimately more meaningful than review deconstruction.

I really hope they spend at least 40 seconds of Alfred explaining tea to wonder woman tho, that sounds wonderful