Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I mostly like Watchmen, although the Hallelujah scene alone basically ruins it for me. And the comic is just better, but that's typical of movie/comic -> film adaptations.

I like that scene!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm I think zaphod actually likes the movie and is just clickbaiting us

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zaphod42 posted:

I mostly like Watchmen, although the Hallelujah scene alone basically ruins it for me. And the comic is just better, but that's typical of movie/comic -> film adaptations.

I hope y'all enjoy the film I just think IGN was overly glowing, and IGN isn't exactly the pinnacle of film journalism. Sorry if I rocked the boat!

Thank for stopping by.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

He's made this Owl-costumed man loving into some kind of joke!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

Oh, so that was what Comedian was talking about

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Theatrical cut of BvS deserved poor reviews. BvS Ultimate, however, is good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

josh04 posted:

Its more that he made Leonard Cohen into a joke, and it felt like it went on way too long for a gag. Just felt tonally very odd.

Of course Dreiberg is a schlub, but that doesn't mean I want to watch him have sex for like 5 minutes while religious music plays.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Thank for stopping by.

That's not fair, it's good to be skeptical of critics and IGN

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Bee posted:

I don’t feel like people who’ve posted in this thread for years are a non-biased audience and if the movie is good, anymore than you could post in the beer thread on the food forum about the values of teetoling. Reactions after everyone has watched it are ultimately more meaningful than review deconstruction.

I really hope they spend at least 40 seconds of Alfred explaining tea to wonder woman tho, that sounds wonderful

The same can be said for those who have already written it off, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

I don’t feel like people who’ve posted in this thread for years are a non-biased audience and if the movie is good, anymore than you could post in the beer thread on the food forum about the values of teetoling. Reactions after everyone has watched it are ultimately more meaningful than review deconstruction.

I really hope they spend at least 40 seconds of Alfred explaining tea to wonder woman tho, that sounds wonderful

I don't even really like BvS, the Owl movie, or Sucker Punch; I just think they're varied levels of interesting. Posting in here doesn't mean you necessarily like all of his films, just that we like discussing them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

The 3rd act of Zack Snyder's Justice League is on par with Infinity War and Endgame
:thunk:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nobody had any opinion on Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah before the Watchmen movie came out, and then suddenly everyone turned into an expert on the song. That's just how much of a genius Zack Snyder is.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

drat I was hoping it would be good. Oh well

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It has some biblical content but many people have interpreted it as a song about lust. Here's some quotes on SongMeanings.

quote:

This song is a combined biblical reference and commentary about a relationship. Jeff Buckeley explicated this aspect of the song in his additional verses, but its clearly in the original. Brilliant song...

quote:

I think the religious references have to do with the fact that the speaker's love was so strong that he nearly deified her. It probably also refers to the fact that many people, when they become desperate or depressed, turn to religion for hope. I am certain the religious references are not as literal as many people believe; Cohen was not a Christian. (However, he IS interested in the Bible and he believes there is a greater power judging our actions.)

"Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this: the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah"

The speaker used to be a "king". He was in charge and in control of himself. He knew what he wanted and how to get it. He wooed women with loving words; by singing "Hallelujah". He knew all the right "chords" and everything. But the woman this song is about is not moved; she doesn't care for such "music", even though it is enough to move the Lord. But, though confused by all of this, he continues to compose his song of Hallelujah/Love, which leads into the next verse.

quote:

Cohen uses David's life as a metaphor for his relationship with this one woman... the you is in the poem is the woman he loves or loved.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Call me cynical but it feels like they're just pandering to the large vocal crowd they know supports the movie and wants it to be good. And those people are indeed going to run to twitter and shout about how they were right all along.
I think its safe to say that we're all a bit shocked at the positive reception so far. Snyder critics because they think hes a worthless human being who has never made anything of value, Snyder fans because we're used to that level of negativity levelled at him and his movies that we were geared for something much more damning. Especially since theres a bizarre cottage industry of internet personalities who were relishing the chance to repeat their hot-takes on his work again. It would be so easy to fart out an article in 20 minutes that say its the worst thing ever committed to a screen, and its also fascist, Randian and theres a scene where Superman turns to the screen and says "Trump 2024" and call it a day, because we're all fully expecting it to land that badly with critics.

So I don't share your scepticism. I'm starting to think that Snyder might have actually made a comic book movie that even critics that have previously dismissed him were enthralled by.

And yeah, its loving weird.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nobody talks about that time that time RDJ and Elon Musk danced to Robot Rock in Iron Man 2.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

But wasn't the word from the set that he himself HATED his part and personally asked for it to be cut?

lol what in the hell?

This might just be confused with his complaints against Whedon and the pandering poo poo he wanted to do (like insisting that he say "booyah") but even then I don't think he ever wanted his own stuff cut (even further than it already was).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

:stat: "The 3rd act of Zack Snyder's Justice League is on par with Infinity War and Endgame!"
:wal: "That bad, huh?"
:stat: :wal: "HOHOHOHOHOHHHOOHOHO"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:stat: "The 3rd act of Zack Snyder's Justice League is on par with Infinity War and Endgame!"
:wal: "That bad, huh?"
:stat: :wal: "HOHOHOHOHOHHHOOHOHO"

gently caress :lol: Amazing. Frame this post.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gorn Myson posted:

I think its safe to say that we're all a bit shocked at the positive reception so far. Snyder critics because they think hes a worthless human being who has never made anything of value, Snyder fans because we're used to that level of negativity levelled at him and his movies that we were geared for something much more damning. Especially since theres a bizarre cottage industry of internet personalities who were relishing the chance to repeat their hot-takes on his work again. It would be so easy to fart out an article in 20 minutes that say its the worst thing ever committed to a screen, and its also fascist, Randian and theres a scene where Superman turns to the screen and says "Trump 2024" and call it a day, because we're all fully expecting it to land that badly with critics.

So I don't share your scepticism. I'm starting to think that Snyder might have actually made a comic book movie that even critics that have previously dismissed him were enthralled by.

And yeah, its loving weird.

I could believe that Snyder makes a really great comic film. What's especially hard to wrap my head around is that its the same movie as Justice League, just the Extended Edition with a few minutes here and there restored and maybe a bit of overdub, and somehow that transforms it from a downright stinker snoozefest into a really really solid superhero movie.

That's wild. It seems way too good to be true. And its exactly what so many have been shouting, and those shouts felt very meme-y and overblown even if Snyder did deserve to get a director's cut.

But as you say, the easy move here would just be to write about how its super lame, so it does feel significant that multiple critics are all very positive on it. I had only read the IGN review first and it was downright fawning over the film, but others are also positive and less blatantly so. Very weird.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

lol what in the hell?

This might just be confused with his complaints against Whedon and the pandering poo poo he wanted to do (like insisting that he say "booyah") but even then I don't think he ever wanted his own stuff cut (even further than it already was).
But some guy named Ralph heard something from some other guy, so who can say really

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Darko posted:

I don't even really like BvS, the Owl movie, or Sucker Punch; I just think they're varied levels of interesting. Posting in here doesn't mean you necessarily like all of his films, just that we like discussing them.

Get a load of this phoney. We're going to have to ask you to hand in your Snydercult name tag. No one is allowed to dislike BvS or the Owl movie. NO ONE!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah that sounds plausible, that it was actually the Whedon reshoots, or maybe half-finished CG that didn't work. Or maybe the rumor was total BS made up by someone trying to stir poo poo.

Martman posted:

But some guy named Ralph heard something from some other guy, so who can say really

He's a youtuber with industry connections, but you don't have to believe it if you don't want to. But this is just being a dick dude.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

I could believe that Snyder makes a really great comic film. What's especially hard to wrap my head around is that its the same movie as Justice League, just the Extended Edition with a few minutes here and there restored and maybe a bit of overdub, and somehow that transforms it from a downright stinker snoozefest into a really really solid superhero movie.

That's what everyone said about BvS too and the version I saw was poop out of a butt

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zaphod42 posted:

That's wild. It seems way too good to be true. And its exactly what so many have been shouting, and those shouts felt very meme-y and overblown even if Snyder did deserve to get a director's cut.

But as you say, the easy move here would just be to write about how its super lame, so it does feel significant that multiple critics are all very positive on it. I had only read the IGN review first and it was downright fawning over the film, but others are also positive and less blatantly so. Very weird.

The thing is that this isn't just "extended scenes" - it's pretty much an entirely different movie. Whedon reshot 75% of it.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

If you've followed this at all, which I'll assume you haven't so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, then you would know this is all objectively wrong. It's estimated something like only 20% of the theatrical release was shot by Snyder. A lot of the plot beats will be the same, there will still be a big fight with steppenwolf at the end but it is functionally a new movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

If you've followed this at all, which I'll assume you haven't so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, then you would know this is all objectively wrong. It's estimated something like only 20% of the theatrical release was shot by Snyder. A lot of the plot beats will be the same, there will still be a big fight with steppenwolf at the end but it is functionally a new movie.

I'm making a joke, chill out with your "objectively wrong" lmao. We're talking about a superhero movie, why so serious?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

One thing that I found interesting about the IGN review, that is a little spoilery so I won't get into it here, and warning before you go check out the review itself, is that the movie goes more in detail into Steppenwolf's specific motivations beyond, "MOTHER!" That's really fascinating poo poo, to me, and is making me look forward to Thursday even more. Why would Whedon cut that? I mean, beyond the usual, "Because he's really dumb."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Well good news, the theatrical cut of Justice League was 2 hours and about 75% of that was Whedon reshoots, this new one is a full 4 hours. It's really not the same movie with a few extra minutes and redubs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

He's a youtuber with industry connections, but you don't have to believe it if you don't want to. But this is just being a dick dude.
I think it is you being a dick. You're basically concern trolling about the movie with a bunch of "gosh this is just so confusing" and when people are pointing you towards what you're wrong about you're like "oh geez well I don't really know about any of this but you know I heard a lot of things and oh well I guess we'll just agree to disagree." Like, it seems pretty obvious you are uninterested in spending 30 seconds reading about Ray Fisher's actual point of view on the situation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

This is where you're misinformed. It's not that at all. The theatrical version is 2hoursv long and uses maybe 10-20 minutes of Snyder's original footage. Zack Snyder's Justice League, the movie being released on Thursday, is 4 hours and uses 0 minutes of Joss Whedon's reshoots. Both movies seem to use the same skeleton of a plot, but are entirely different in tone, has entirely different plot elements, character focus, and more. It's an unprecedented situation. This isn't a regular ol' director's cut.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

One thing that I found interesting about the IGN review, that is a little spoilery so I won't get into it here, and warning before you go check out the review itself, is that the movie goes more in detail into Steppenwolf's specific motivations beyond, "MOTHER!" That's really fascinating poo poo, to me, and is making me look forward to Thursday even more. Why would Whedon cut that? I mean, beyond the usual, "Because he's really dumb."

Well, isn't the snyder cut supposed to be 4 hours?

Guy A. Person posted:

Well good news, the theatrical cut of Justice League was 2 hours and about 75% of that was Whedon reshoots, this new one is a full 4 hours. It's really not the same movie with a few extra minutes and redubs.

Thanks lol.

At that point JLA almost looks like it should have been a 2-parter like Infinity War. Whedon was probably just trying to squeeze everything into 2 hours, plus trying to add his comedy schtick which is why DC hired him, and ultimately there just wasn't room for all the dumb ideas to fit into a theatrical release.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm making a joke, chill out with your "objectively wrong" lmao. We're talking about a superhero movie, why so serious?

Let me tell you the same thing I told my six year old the other day: just lying about something isn't a joke.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean you came in here with "This dude I watch on youtube said this thing so it must be true" so I guess you are saying I should take nothing you say seriously?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

I mean you came in here with "This dude I watch on youtube said this thing so it must be true" so I guess you are saying I should take nothing you say seriously?

No I actually directly said the opposite of that. I stated what I heard, when asked I explained where I got it from and immediately stated that it could be a nonsense rumor or even just bs to stir the pot. Chill out.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ralph the movie maker definitely said he heard someone say that, but maybe he's full of poo poo I don't know.

Y'all are taking this way too personally. Its honestly becoming creepy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, I've been expecting the reviews to be pretty terrible to jump on the easy Snyder hate train bandwagon for clicks. The mostly positive reviews have been surprising. Not because I thought the movie would be bad, but because I'm a cynical jackass and figured they'd write bad reviews no matter what to not risk alienating themselves from the dumbasses on twitter. I'm...honestly shocked at the response so far.

Could this movie be that good? Or are reviewers deciding to focus on the artist over the studio for, like, the first time I can remember?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

This isn't a regular ol' director's cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndKWCwbLdq4

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Let me tell you the same thing I told my six year old the other day: just lying about something isn't a joke.

They actually learn to do this from youtubers apparently, just randomly lying about something and going PRANKED (source: 8yo son)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Guys I'm extremely concerned about clickbait, we need to talk about how these reviews might be fake clickbait.

Anyway also here's some random quotes some guy maybe heard from someone that might just be BS poo poo-stirring but I don't really want to look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its a movie that was released once already to theaters and is getting re-released. You think calling the snyder cut an extended edition is a "lie"? Seriously?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

They actually learn to do this from youtubers apparently, just randomly lying about something and going PRANKED (source: 8yo son)

wow.