Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, isn't the snyder cut supposed to be 4 hours?

Thanks lol.

At that point JLA almost looks like it should have been a 2-parter like Infinity War. Whedon was probably just trying to squeeze everything into 2 hours, plus trying to add his comedy schtick which is why DC hired him, and ultimately there just wasn't room for all the dumb ideas to fit into a theatrical release.

Snyder initially wanted it to be multiple parts, yeah. WB just kept having great ideas about how to make more money, and welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm glad it's getting good reviews because for this kind off project it could mean pretty rad things for a director's say in final cuts in general. Hopefully.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thrawn527 posted:

Could this movie be that good? Or are reviewers deciding to focus on the artist over the studio for, like, the first time I can remember?

My theory is that Marvel being gone from theaters for almost 2 years has created mental space for people to process different takes on cape flicks. For better or worse, Man of Steel was released about 14 months after The Avengers and people were comparing the two.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a movie that was released once already to theaters and is getting re-released. You think calling the snyder cut an extended edition is a "lie"? Seriously?

wow.

It's a restoration :smug:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a movie that was released once already to theaters and is getting re-released. You think calling the snyder cut an extended edition is a "lie"? Seriously?

yes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Darko posted:

Snyder initially wanted it to be multiple parts, yeah. WB just kept having great ideas about how to make more money, and welp.

Its funny, you'd think they'd go the other way if they were after more money. Like what happened to Peter Jackson and The Hobbit.

Definitely a case of design-by-committee either way though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It is estimated that at most 30 minutes of Snyder-shot Justice League footage has been released to the general public, until Thursday. (Obviously, in order to know for sure, some poor soul is going to have to watch the 2017 Justice League film side-by-side with the 2021 Justice League film and scrutinize the differences.) Although based on the same story treatment, they're functionally entirely different movies.

It's possible you are unaware of how sensitive a topic this has been in the past.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

One thing that I found interesting about the IGN review, that is a little spoilery so I won't get into it here, and warning before you go check out the review itself, is that the movie goes more in detail into Steppenwolf's specific motivations beyond, "MOTHER!" That's really fascinating poo poo, to me, and is making me look forward to Thursday even more. Why would Whedon cut that? I mean, beyond the usual, "Because he's really dumb."

Not to defend Whedon but in terms of editing he was given sort of an impossible job. I imagine cutting things that were too dark or heavy was his and/or WB’s first priority, but after that you also have to cut the things that a) make more economic sense (e.g saving everything about Darkseid for a future movie) or b) no longer make sense without that context. So once he cuts everything about Darkseid, he also has to cut the things about Steppenwolf’s relationship with him. Once he cuts Cyborg’s dad dying and etcetera, he also has to cut pretty much all of his origin story because it is based on that fact.

Again, not to defend Whedon - because the proper answer to this dilemma is “don’t take the job in the first place.”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked that scene because there were boobies in it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zaphod42 posted:

Thinking ZSJL is an "extended edition" is a huge disservice to what the film represents and is completely disrespectful to the crew that made the Snyder Cut happen. Please inform yourself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bongo Bill posted:

It is estimated that at most 30 minutes of Snyder-shot Justice League footage has been released to the general public, until Thursday. (Obviously, in order to know for sure, some poor soul is going to have to watch the 2017 Justice League film side-by-side with the 2021 Justice League film and scrutinize the differences.) Although based on the same story treatment, they're functionally entirely different movies.

It's possible you are unaware of how sensitive a topic this has been in the past.

I think even if you recognize its got 3 new hours of footage you can see why someone would jokingly call it an "extended edition" would at least make sense even if you would never use that language yourself. Calling that a "lie" and saying things like "kids these days love to just lie and yell prank, that must be what you're doing!" is absurd.

This thread is getting awfully hostile, I'm not even saying the movie is definitely bad. I'm being called a concern troll just for explaining my view, I can't imagine what y'all would say if I was actually negative on the film. It being a sensitive topic is... not healthy. Its a movie, guys.

Darko posted:

I don't even really like BvS, the Owl movie, or Sucker Punch; I just think they're varied levels of interesting. Posting in here doesn't mean you necessarily like all of his films, just that we like discussing them.

I agree but apparently most of the thread doesn't.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nah that's not why I'm calling you a concern troll.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lol, "hostile." Just lmao. Quote me when you're lumped in with chuds or called a cultist for liking different cape poo poo.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Don't disagree or correct my misinformation, that's creepy!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Don't disagree or correct my misinformation, that's creepy!

When someone said it was wrong I immediately said "ah okay guess not" but go on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

Lol, "hostile." Just lmao. Quote me when you're lumped in with chuds or called a cultist for liking different cape poo poo.

Has Zaphod42 done that?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I love Zaphod Kramering in here with a bunch of half-cocked, obviously-never-looked-at-this-for-a-second nonsense and now the entire thread has to be correcting him as he gets increasingly high strung

Like, you have to really be *trying* to not know poo poo about any of this if you don’t know what went on with Ray Fisher by now. It goes beyond this movie. It has to be trolling, and if it is, it’s really gross to do it with a victim of racism

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

When someone said it was wrong I immediately said "ah okay guess not" but go on.

Relax I'm just teasing

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You've stepped onto a bit of a battlefield here, Zaphod. A great war was fought so that people could post vaguely positively about Zack Snyder films, and those gains will be defended.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Oh don’t worry my post was a joke

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

You've stepped onto a bit of a battlefield here, Zaphod. A great war was fought so that people could post vaguely positively about Zack Snyder films, and those gains will be defended.

Also speaking of gains you must be willing to discuss your weight lifting routine and general training strategy to post in this thread

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

We're beyond mere defense now! This thread is the first offensive push of our glorious 5 year snyderdome lebensraum

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Has Zaphod42 done that?

:confused:

I'm referring to the responses here being considered "hostile" when it's mostly just goons correcting what is obvious misinformation due to ignorance on the subject matter and comparing that to the toxicity I've personally experienced whenever I'd talk positively about Snyder cape poo poo elsewhere on this forum.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Honestly if you picture this as a room full of people having a conversation thats been built over 4 years with an exhausting amount of detail and then some random guy youve never seen just bursts in like "can you guys believe this shits getting good reviews? I dont get it. Its some extended footage and that cyborg guy didnt even like it in the first place!", everyones reaction is appropriately toned IMO.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guy A. Person posted:

Also speaking of gains you must be willing to discuss your weight lifting routine and general training strategy to post in this thread

I bought a pull-up bar that I now regularly injure myself on, just to impress Zack Snyder.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

RBA Starblade posted:

Has Zaphod42 done that?

In the space of about 20 posts we've gotten:

1) It's awfully suspicious that critics like this movie
2) I'm just saying, the guy hasn't made a good film in 14 years
3) What even is the Snydercut? some kind of extended edition?
4) Those lies I told? That was a joke, chill out.
5) Man you guys are awfully sensitive...not healthy thinking IMO

Where will we go next?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think it's possible and even probable that Zaphod just came in here without knowing the history of this topic and how we had to argue with a bunch of more actively hostile people saying all of the poo poo we now know to be 100% true was even possible for the past several years

I think as a whole the thread tends to have a bit of a hair trigger but it's also hard to tell if its just because 10 people start replying at the same time and then it seems like we are dogpiling (also wonder if it has anything to do with the worldwide MS teams and office outage which is why I'm posting way more today lol)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AdmiralViscen posted:

Like, you have to really be *trying* to not know poo poo about any of this if you don’t know what went on with Ray Fisher by now. It goes beyond this movie. It has to be trolling, and if it is, it’s really gross to do it with a victim of racism

No, most people don't know

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Relax I'm just teasing

Sorry, its hard to tell with the whole thread dogpiling.

RBA Starblade posted:

Has Zaphod42 done that?

I think the argument there was "we've been called way worse, so you should deal with whatever we do to you!" Which isn't exactly fair but hey.

AdmiralViscen posted:

I love Zaphod Kramering in here with a bunch of half-cocked, obviously-never-looked-at-this-for-a-second nonsense and now the entire thread has to be correcting him as he gets increasingly high strung

This is bullshit though. Not everybody has been living Snyder interviews 24/7. All I know was he said that things got toxic with Whedon, that doesn't mean that the scenes that were cut were necessarily amazing. This is really bullshit dude, nothing I've said has given you a significant reason to assume this, you're just going full nuclear right out of the gates. Nothing about the quality of the Snyder scenes has to do with any of that.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

No, most people don't know

Most people who follow the industry enough to frequent movie message boards behind a $10 paywall*

Don’t worry though, the post was a joke

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I think it's possible and even probable that Zaphod just came in here without knowing the history of this topic and how we had to argue with a bunch of more actively hostile people saying all of the poo poo we now know to be 100% true was even possible for the past several years

This is 100% the case scenario, lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AdmiralViscen posted:

Most people who follow the industry enough to frequent movie message boards behind a $10 paywall*

Don’t worry though, the post was a joke

It's ok, I chuckled at the idea that you're a racist if you don't follow the comic book men close enough to know the behind the scenes

Seriously though, don't expect anyone to actually know any of that

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ray Fisher’s story goes way, way beyond a new cut of a movie and you should probably google it for five minutes before shooting off at the hip about what he does and doesn’t want released.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's ok, I chuckled at the idea that you're a racist if you don't follow the comic book men close enough to know the behind the scenes

Seriously though, don't expect anyone to actually know any of that

I didn’t say that

Edit: \/ turns out he did know lol

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 15, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dont like or trust ralph the movie maker. But im talking entirely about the youtoober not the person that brought him up. I just soured on ralph p early. A bit too dang smug and if he has industry connections lol. That's weird.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s ok, zaphod I’m extending an iron branch towards you

Let’s get excited for the Snyder cut.....together.... it’s not too late

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This.

Please cool it with personal attacks on your fellow goons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm willing to believe. :shobon:

I love these characters and I want nothing more than to have a good Supes on the silver screen.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Ray Fisher’s story goes way, way beyond a new cut of a movie and you should probably google it for five minutes before shooting off at the hip about what he does and doesn’t want released.

Of course it does, and most of Warner Bros is apparently racist as gently caress. But that has nothing to do with whether the Snyder scenes filmed before or after are of high quality, which was what was being discussed. You're twisting this in a really gross way.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No need to bring Dota into this, it's toxic enough

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I think the argument there was "we've been called way worse, so you should deal with whatever we do to you!" Which isn't exactly fair but hey.

My argument was no response here was in any way actively hostile. Your continued attempts to play victim to make it appear as such is pretty lol worthy tbh.

[Edit] but for real, inform yourself if you actually are interested in what the gently caress happened. A lot of truths have been revealed about what happened over the last several months through interviews, articles, videos, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MacheteZombie posted:

No lie, pretty surprised to see someone say 300 is ZS's only good movie

Well his least trashiest movie at least

It's for sure a surprising pick