Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Also speaking of gains you must be willing to discuss your weight lifting routine and general training strategy to post in this thread

Anecdote, on the BvS set in the prison, there were a bunch of fake weights lying all over the place and Zack couldn't help but act like he was working out with them. I told him "you got plenty buff enough already, Zack, no need for more gains" and he looked at me incredulous and said "they're fake." I stopped talking to him after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

Anecdote, on the BvS set in the prison, there were a bunch of fake weights lying all over the place and Zack couldn't help but act like he was working out with them. I told him "you got plenty buff enough already, Zack, no need for more gains" and he looked at me incredulous and said "they're fake." I stopped talking to him after that.

Lmao. This is a great anecdote.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Martman posted:

No need to bring Dota into this, it's toxic enough

Jejejeje

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think 300 is his most overrated film, I say this as someone who likes it too.

I think about the criticisms leveled against it and I think it was also probably his most unfortunately and ill-timed release. If it were released today, especially either before or after his Owl film, people would view it more as its defenders do (a film about the effectiveness of propaganda) rather than being a rally cry for invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In the space of about 20 posts we've gotten:

1) It's awfully suspicious that critics like this movie
2) I'm just saying, the guy hasn't made a good film in 14 years
3) What even is the Snydercut? some kind of extended edition?
4) Those lies I told? That was a joke, chill out.
5) Man you guys are awfully sensitive...not healthy thinking IMO

Where will we go next?

Just one step away from dropping the Snyderbro cultists label. But I choose to believe Zaphod will be better than that.

Jimbot posted:

It's overrated I think yeah, but I love it as well for reasons. All those sexy rear end abs really did a number on me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jimbot posted:

I think about the criticisms leveled against it and I think it was also probably his most unfortunately and ill-timed release. If it were released today, especially either before or after his Owl film, people would view it more as its defenders do (a film about the effectiveness of propaganda) rather than being a rally cry for invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Owls does almost feel like a response to it- like that bit where whatshisface says outright that war isn't a glorious story, it sucks rear end. And then at the end they stop talking about the unresolved bits to avoid freaking out the kids.

Hmm... the Superman statue in BvS is basically a "story" the people of Metropolis have told about Superman gloriously saving them from Zod, which we know was actually a traumatic ordeal for him that sucked rear end. And in Man Of Steel the representation of Zod when Jor-El talked about his coup looked weirdly glorified. Has Zack Snyder been saying "guys please 300 isn't real" in every movie since 2007?!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Zaphod42 posted:

This is bullshit though. Not everybody has been living Snyder interviews 24/7. All I know was he said that things got toxic with Whedon, that doesn't mean that the scenes that were cut were necessarily amazing. This is really bullshit dude, nothing I've said has given you a significant reason to assume this, you're just going full nuclear right out of the gates. Nothing about the quality of the Snyder scenes has to do with any of that.

Please forgive everyone for not taking kindly to what would have been a lovely way to enter any conversation about literally anything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

Lmao. This is a great anecdote.

I have better ones. I'm currently frightened by Jesse Eisenberg. Might share them in the Discord in the leadup.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Darko posted:

I have better ones. I'm currently frightened by Jesse Eisenberg. Might share them in the Discord in the leadup.

Please. Please please please please. Please.

And thank you! ;)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I rewatched it last night in the run-up to JL, and even though it's in-universe war propaganda from the point of view of a society that Snyder and even Frank Miller understand are pretty hosed up and pointedly not people you want to emulate (baby skulls), it's really effective at selling their point of view. There's a reason so many impressionable teenage boys memed the lines from that movie when it came out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

My theory is that Marvel being gone from theaters for almost 2 years has created mental space for people to process different takes on cape flicks. For better or worse, Man of Steel was released about 14 months after The Avengers and people were comparing the two.

They were also comparing it to the Nolan Batman movies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, I rewatched it last night in the run-up to JL, and even though it's in-universe war propaganda from the point of view of a society that Snyder and even Frank Miller understand are pretty hosed up and pointedly not people you want to emulate (baby skulls), it's really effective at selling their point of view. There's a reason so many impressionable teenage boys memed the lines from that movie when it came out.

Its the Brad Pitt Fight Club syndrome. Those sexy abs just bamboozle everybody.

Come to think of it, Starship Troopers also had sexy abs...

Directors, if you don't want your subtext to get missed, cover the abs!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spacebump posted:

They were also comparing it to the Dark Knight.

Were they? I completely forgot. Could you get me a cite on that (if you can't - no problem, I believe you, just want to read one for myself)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Were they? I completely forgot. Could you get me a cite on that (if you can't - no problem, I believe you, just want to read one for myself)

Believe it was Variety's review that put ZSJL in company with The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2. On mobile so can't cite atm (too lazy lol)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

teagone posted:

Believe it was Variety's review that put ZSJL in company with The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2. On mobile so can't cite atm (too lazy lol)

I believe he was discussing Man of Steel, as in Man of Steel was being compared to the Nolan trilogy as well as Avengers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I meant Nolan Batmovies in general not just Dark Knight. Didn't get the edit on time. This partially happened because the Man of Steel previews mentioned "producer Christopher Nolan Director of the Dark Knight Trilogy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wArmHSPIvlQ

I did not mean to say there are comparisons going around between Snyder Cut and the Nolan movies. Apologies for any confusion.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I was never one of those people who even thought the director's cut would ever come out (and if it did, it would be years later as black and white, unfinished scenes with storyboards intercut on youtube) but as much as I LOVE batman v superman and MOS I am going to remain skeptical, if only for my own sanity.

I remember hearing it was being released and just assumed it would be as mentioned above, then a little disappointed it'd be released as a 4 part series. But I was bowled over to hear it would be a loving four hour movie of navel-gazing, slow-mo, big music morose god beings acting sad.

And I'm going to assume it's nothing like that, because I then I can't get disappointed.

Stable at 75% on RT with 101 reviews - that's a big wow considering the amount of reviewers who chose not give it the time of day before hand (and I'm not being a conspiracy chud about that)

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 15, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Robot Style posted:

There's a reason so many impressionable teenage boys memed the lines from that movie when it came out.

I went from morbidly obese and pre-diabetic to running 5K in 20 minutes and repping 2x bodyweight deadlifts because of 300.

I believe he was discussing Man of Steel, as in Man of Steel was being compared to the Nolan trilogy as well as Avengers.

Oh my bad

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I would've been completely fine with a workprint version of zsjl

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I think all Snyderdome regulars would have tbh. That we're actually getting a 4-hour refined cut is insane.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MacheteZombie posted:

Same, kinda hoping the blu-ray is one of those 50+ different versions release where you can watch the 214 minute workprint and everything.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

I said I'd've been completely fine with the exact same movie as theatrical but with Danny Elfman replaced with Junkie XL.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, but that probably wouldn't get the same response so its wild things did work out this way:

Aidan_702 posted:

Stable at 75% on RT with 101 reviews - that's a big wow considering the amount of reviewers who chose not give it the time of day before hand (and I'm not being a conspiracy chud about that)

That's pretty insanely wild. I feel like this is going to have ramifications on the superhero genre like Deadpool being a success was. Hopefully the studios learn a thing or two about meddling.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

The work print of that Wolverine movie is still the only way I’ve seen that movie and it loving owned Lmao

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I'm really glad that Ray Fisher's performance is getting a lot of love & I hope Snyder's bold decisions to keep his intended aspect ratio for a home debut & historic running-time will open the space for more film-makers to have something as compositionally important as those be artistic choices.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 15, 2021

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

I fully expected this is what we'd get when some of the actors like Jason Mamoa just started publicly saying the cut was real. The fact that it's a finished movie is just absolutely insane. My father who has been a fan of the DCEU since it launched (with the exception of WW'84 lmao) has called me up freaking out over trailers, the reviews etc. Dude is in his 50s and collected comics as a kid including a sealed copy of The Death of Superman that he was absolutely sure would increase in value (lol) so seeing him getting pumped up for stuff like Darkseid finally being on screen owns.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

That's pretty insanely wild. I feel like this is going to have ramifications on the superhero genre like Deadpool being a success was. Hopefully the studios learn a thing or two about meddling.
ZSJL being successful, plus WB selling their stake in Joker (because they thought it wouldn't make much $) and making none of that $1B it made would hopefully maybe wake WB up to the fact that they don't really know what they're doing. But probably not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ghosthotel posted:

I fully expected this is what we'd get when some of the actors like Jason Mamoa just started publicly saying the cut was real. The fact that it's a finished movie is just absolutely insane. My father who has been a fan of the DCEU since it launched (with the exception of WW'84 lmao) has called me up freaking out over trailers, the reviews etc. Dude is in his 50s and collected comics as a kid including a sealed copy of The Death of Superman that he was absolutely sure would increase in value (lol) so seeing him getting pumped up for stuff like Darkseid finally being on screen owns.

My brother and I also have sealed copies of the Death of Superman, lmao.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

I think all Snyderdome regulars would have tbh. That we're actually getting a 4-hour refined cut is insane.

I wanted a Wolverine thing with plastic claws and music from the Nolan movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's gunna be wild. I'm extremely stoked to put this in front of my eyeballs

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roman posted:

ZSJL being successful, plus WB selling their stake in Joker (because they thought it wouldn't make much $) and making none of that $1B it made would hopefully maybe wake WB up to the fact that they don't really know what they're doing. But probably not.

That interview where Zack called WB's bluff and put himself in a power position makes me think WB studio execs loving hate the idea of the Snyder Cut being successful tbh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

I wanted a Wolverine thing with plastic claws and music from the Nolan movies.

Lol. I would have loved seeing pre-viz animatics using the explosion sound effects Snyder was making during his MoS/BvS commentaries.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

Lol. I would have loved seeing pre-viz animatics using the explosion sound effects Snyder was making during his MoS/BvS commentaries.

Release the Zack Workprint Cut

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

That interview where Zack called WB's bluff and put himself in a power position makes me think WB studio execs loving hate the idea of the Snyder Cut being successful tbh.

IIRC He also said he did it for free to make sure they couldn't hold the threat of a paycheck over his head as leverage.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Man, I take a short nap and y'all go crazy in here

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am planning my week for Friday Night to watch this movie. I need to figure out what food and drink goes with this movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The work print of that Wolverine movie is still the only way I’ve seen that movie and it loving owned Lmao

Same. I've never seen the finished version, and I have no intention on ever fixing this. The version I saw was hilarious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

hiddenriverninja posted:

IIRC He also said he did it for free to make sure they couldn't hold the threat of a paycheck over his head as leverage.

Has he said that's the reason? Like, I don't doubt that being the real reason, but I thought the stated reason from him was that he felt he was already paid for his work on Justice League, so he's doing this as a labor of love, or something. I'd be pretty surprised if he came out and said, "I'm not taking a paycheck to make sure those assholes who finally let me finish the movie can't tell me to go gently caress myself again."

I'd be happy if he said that, but also surprised.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

teagone posted:

They must. It not only calls into question decisions made years ago, but now decisions going forward if anything they do doesnt hold muster critically and financially.

The worst case scenario in some manner for them was WW84 tanking and ZSJL being a hit because it somewhat shows the further you stray from Snyders vision the worse off the DCEU is in its current state. Like sure theyre still making money in the end so boohoo for the megacorp and their gargantuan IPs but they cannot ignore the fact that at its core, you cannot escape Snyders hold on the DC world he built and I think WB trying to have their cake with the actors/characters from Snyder but nothing else is just fundamentally a flawed creative and business decision.

Rewatching WW last night and SO much of what makes that movie good and the weight its story has and the commanding role Gadot as as Wonder Woman is directly related to what Snyder set before it with MoS and BvS. When someone like Patty Jenkins gets to play around in THAT world, you get a hit. Now WW84? Thats Patty playing in a "Josstice League we want to be Marvel" world and welp...yeah.

$1bil Aquaman couldnt be further from the tone of stuff like MoS and BvS but it still shares a core DNA with them and a character built from the ground up by Snyders vision and theres no mistaking that is part of their success.

Despite a single "misstep" with BvS, Snyder built them a pretty loving cool world to make movies in and theyre supreme morons for not embracing that while also letting Snyder make his LOTR with Capes films. They really dropped the ball and boy are they in a pickle.

And once again....this would have all been over by now had they just not freaked the gently caress out.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

Snyder said the initially that's what WB offered; to just make the workprint available for download to anyone who wanted. Snyder said that he told WB no because that would have proved everyone right who called his version "unwatchable" and he said it would have been a hugely disrespectful to the cast and crew to put out an unfinished product.

teagone posted:

If ZSJL turns out to be successful, I wonder what it'll do for the execs who green lit the project.