Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
thats awesome that you don't have to keep track of the old screws because they're hosed and you're replacing them anyway. When I rebuilt laptops after replacing memory/keyboard/hd there was always some extra screws and it was fine. This does not seem the case for a planer I assume

edit for the snype

I'm bored as shiit as you can see

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Sjs00 posted:

I came to this thread to post that I really want to go outside for inane reasons (crackers for weed reasons and sleepy time tea for tea reasons, and firewood for fire reasons) but I'm just going to get it delivered because its not worth it and I see sick photos of outside and nature and such godsamn I hate the burbs. cool looking frog though you reckon that sucker is poisonous

hes high as gently caress now

that is a north american wood frog Lithobates sylvaticus and only his personality is toxic

Sjs00 posted:

I'm bored as shiit as you can see
same tahts why I’m in the woods

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sjs00 posted:

thats awesome that you don't have to keep track of the old screws because they're hosed and you're replacing them anyway. When I rebuilt laptops after replacing memory/keyboard/hd there was always some extra screws and it was fine. This does not seem the case for a planer I assume

I would be remiss if I were to run the ultra wood-kill machine without all of its screws.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just ordered my part and the tap I need to make my new hole. Oh man, I am so drat excited for this, people. :stoked:I AM PUMPED!!!:stoked:

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

DerekSmartymans posted:

When my retired parents go on vacation (before COVID-19, ofc) I only have myself and my 97y/o Granny to take care of. The four of us go through a loaf of bread ridiculously fast because we often eat toast and sandwiches for sustenance and supper is a hot nutritious meal. I can go to Kroger, though, and buy a half-loaf of Wonder bread which is actually perfect for two people. I used to buy a sourdough bread looking very much like PtF’s posted ITT. If nobody helps me I usually have to feed it to the ravens on the back porch three days later. Funny thing is I don’t really mind because I mostly get up at 4:00 to eat breakfast and drink coffee on the deck, and “chat” with my well-behaved bird friends. We don’t even bother (them) or scare (me) each other because they are smart enough to even teach the babies how to ask politely and they know I share. They bring me shiny things, too, like nails and paper clips and candy wrappers with foil showing on the inside. My dogs love me because they are dumb and I wrassle and feed them, but the ravens are wild and stay around because we enjoy each other’s’ company. Even the dogs get along with them because they learned the birds are too far on the rails and tables to get, so now they just ignore each other 😍. It’s been nice over the year without the movies and bookstores and restaurants.

We've likewise been training crows with peanuts since quar. Haven't given us anything in return, don't even like to be on the nearby roof when we're on the fire escape. But they do know to get on the roof where they can be seen from the window and squawk when hungry. We have selfish crows.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Literally A Person posted:

Just ordered my part and the tap I need to make my new hole. Oh man, I am so drat excited for this, people. :stoked:I AM PUMPED!!!:stoked:

I was gonna ask as far as your screw issue, helicoil?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Apparently becoming my own millwright as my planer has broken right at the time of year I'm milling my boards and it's either buy a new one or fix this one and, goons, I ain't buying a new one. Luckily it's a super easy breakdown so far:

Except that all the screws on the underside completly stripped and had to be drilled out then hexed out the rest of the way. All of them went okay except this loving PIECE OF loving poo poo loving rear end SHITT which is now going to require me to tap this freaking hole again, widen the hole on the hardware that fits over it and get a new sized screw:

gently caress this thing so hard.

So now I have it all apart and I find the problem, this Spacely Sprocket is broke:

It gives power to the rollers that move the work piece through the planer. So, while it totally stops my tool from functioning it's a $5 part with $5 shipping and it would seem that someone with even my rudimentary knowledge can replace it. When I get the part I'll show you guys my "put it back together" powers.

Haha, I hate equipment maintenance. The more poo poo you get the more time you have to spend taking care of it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

PipHelix posted:

I was gonna ask as far as your screw issue, helicoil?

Nah, I'll just cut in new threads. It's just some crappy pot metal it'll cut really easy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Detox at the VA in a psych ward! :toot: again :smith:, nah it's a good thing

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sjs00 posted:

you gotta show us a picture of your friends now

I’ll try to remember that tomorrow! They started “barter” with my dad last year. We had put two of my Papa John’s birdhouses up and after an entire month of brain-combat with the Gray Squirrels over the bird feed the ravens and greased support poles chased them off. We were working on the deck and pulled out the nails for screws. They would get close enough to collect the nails and we would give them Ritz crackers. Corvids are smart and I guess the Ritz and free birdseed meant we were ok dudes. If I were them I wouldn’t be scared of the dogs, though: Those are huge freakin birds I never realized were so large. Hitchcock knew what he was doing!

Edit: Pennywise, I spent a while inpatient because of a complete break with reality a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the cafeteria is as good as the one I go to (who needs Thorazine when you have unlimited access to chocolate milk and powdered donuts if you get off of suicide watch and can be trusted to move to commons?). I hope you get help because the dual diagnosis folks usually end up that way because of incomplete or nonexistent mental health care and medicate themselves into an addiction. I will be praying for you!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 11, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Get well soon friend.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hope it goes as smoothly as possible - best wishes.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Take care

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

:glomp:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DerekSmartymans posted:

Edit: Pennywise, I spent a while inpatient because of a complete break with reality a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the cafeteria is as good as the one I go to (who needs Thorazine when you have unlimited access to chocolate milk and powdered donuts if you get off of suicide watch and can be trusted to move to commons?). I hope you get help because the dual diagnosis folks usually end up that way because of incomplete or nonexistent mental health care and medicate themselves into an addiction. I will be praying for you!

The food is great. Yeah it's like cafeteria food but I love it. They give me way too much food though and I was a "you better eat everything on your plate" kid so ugh... The bipolar complicates the alcohol. I'm not on suicide watch or anything though and my doctors said I can leave tomorrow. :)

I hope you got the help you needed!

Thanks everyone.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Took a couple days off this week to go snowboarding. Honestly, snowboarding had kept me sane. One thing I love to do that I still can do, and that makes me feel really loving happy. I'll take some pics when I get there cause it just snowed last night

My spirit is with you mate. Detox is a bitch no matter what kind it is but get through it and a whole new world is open

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Replacing all the guts in my toilet because I've got galvanized pipes and the rust dust eats all rubber gaskets.

I guess I need to replace my plumbing this summer.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Got my tap and die set and set to work making an incredibly ugly screw today:

This little beauty let me get my rollers reset into the planer:

And here is the new sprocket almost totally chained up:

I kicked it on while it was disassembled and by god the thing freaking worked again. Probably need a new belt soon but gosh dang it, once it's reassembled this bad boy will be as good as new. I'm feeling a little proud. This is definitely the most complicated tool repair I've done. Never tapped a hole, never fabricated a fastener, never fully disassembled any of my larger tools. I'm feeling like the Grand Poobah right now.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Got my tap and die set and set to work making an incredibly ugly screw today:

This little beauty let me get my rollers reset into the planer:

And here is the new sprocket almost totally chained up:

I kicked it on while it was disassembled and by god the thing freaking worked again. Probably need a new belt soon but gosh dang it, once it's reassembled this bad boy will be as good as new. I'm feeling a little proud. This is definitely the most complicated tool repair I've done. Never tapped a hole, never fabricated a fastener, never fully disassembled any of my larger tools. I'm feeling like the Grand Poobah right now.

I'd hate to live in an area without hardware stores. Hell, the planer I take care of (24" Powermatic) is two rooms away from 7 lathes and I've never needed to turn or thread my own fasteners.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I wish I was that handy. Today I'm struggling to fix my toilet from running constantly. Trial and error adjusting the cup float valve screw thing. It's not precise at all and it's not putting the float up all the way. I'll get it. If my dad could do it I can!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At this point just waiting for a vaccine because I think I exhausted everything, even taking selfies have lost their meaning, the biggest tragedy.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Is the sex machine business considered lucrative?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Internetjack posted:

Is the sex machine business considered lucrative?

I get off by.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'd hate to live in an area without hardware stores. Hell, the planer I take care of (24" Powermatic) is two rooms away from 7 lathes and I've never needed to turn or thread my own fasteners.

Lol, the only reason I had to make the screw was because I was really REALLY dumb and tapped a pipe thread into the hole. Turns out they don't sell many machine screws that fit the hole I made. I kind of screwed myself. But hell if it wasn't fun to learn how to do.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 14, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
TRIPLE POST

All assembled:

AND IT WORKS!!!!:
https://i.imgur.com/WhDL4d7.mp4

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Elentor posted:

At this point just waiting for a vaccine because I think I exhausted everything, even taking selfies have lost their meaning, the biggest tragedy.

Dick pics?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

Dick pics?

No, thanks Eddie. I uh, got work to do.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

TRIPLE POST

All assembled:

AND IT WORKS!!!!:

Nicely done

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Lol, the only reason I had to make the screw was because I was really REALLY dumb and tapped a pipe thread into the hole. Turns out they don't sell many machine screws that fit the hole I made. I kind of screwed myself. But hell if it wasn't fun to learn how to do.

You know that at some point you need to sell that thing off second hand to someone. Just so they can have the experience of posting about the time he needed to disassemble the thing for repairs and turns out the fuckin' lunatic who owned it before for some reason put a home-made pipethreaded screw in there to hold it together. Those stories are the best. Tales I could tell about re-wiring the bathroom in the house my sibling bought years back... Aluminum wiring, no GFCIs, TEN outlets on the same 16A breaker, total fuckin shitshow, and if I'd been around when she was seeing the place I probably could have got like 2-3 grand off the top just saying

'Hey uh, looks like you have one jillion plugs, none of which belong in a bathroom, in that vanity. There's no way that's safe, there's no way that won't cost money to fix, and now that you've been informed, you're now legally obligated to spend the money fixing it or disclose 'this house is a firetrap' to anyone else you show after us, and first thing, too."

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 15, 2021

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

TRIPLE POST

All assembled:

AND IT WORKS!!!!:

All this work for wood to still come out as wood?

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

I also completed a project that required a lot of improv. Technically illegal, deets'll have to wait 16 months till the ol' statute limitates itself. Let's just say it involves the sharing economy, personal mobility, and is misdemeanor kid poo poo, as I now realize those first two sentences, on the internet, in these days of ours, easily read like some unabomber nonsense. Property isn't real, property crime doubly so.

But yea, it is seriously, seriously gratifying to, like, create a thing rather than buy it. I got all the way through a STEM undergrad without learning a single proper skill besides soldering and some Java and then in grad school had to learn Python, mill & lathe, CAD, tooling, HV wiring & safety, even the little stuff like tapping and die-ing is fun to do. It's like being a modern day Gandalf or something. "What I wanted was not, so I spent some time and effort, and it was. And it was good."

And if you're anything like me, the mental monologue during the whole work period goes like "Stupidstupidstupid why can't you figure this out you useless dumbfuck" for days or even weeks straight, so the high that follows once it turns on is so much higher. Mwah. Couldn't be happier for you dude, hope you're feeling even a tenth this good.

Current project - the totally legal but warranty voiding disassembly of my sibling's (previously mine but my useful things have a way of migrating) dust buster/carpet cleaner that somehow they managed to break the power button on.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 15, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TontoCorazon posted:

All this work for wood to still come out as wood?

Seems wasteful, right?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
lmk when you transmuting wood into gold, fool

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Play posted:

lmk when you transmuting wood into gold, fool

*puts on comically large goggles*

Soon.

naem
May 29, 2011

got my first service done on my new car, it’s so weird driving something that isn’t a free rust bucket hand me down lol

also exceeded my cash savings goal by nearly double and have set a new goal of about 3 times my original imaginary number in my head

if I can manage put that in the bank, wow I’ll almost be a functional grown up adult person man

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Seems wasteful, right?

It was already wood, why do you need the same amount of wood coming out of a useless machine?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TontoCorazon posted:

It was already wood, why do you need the same amount of wood coming out of a useless machine?

After that video the wood shown was 1\8 of an inch thinner. :science:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

How much did you pay for this machine?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TontoCorazon posted:

How much did you pay for this machine?

:downs:$60!!:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lumber mill chat just reminded me that the giant robot project guy exists. remember him? (that was 13 years ago, by the way). it turns out he's still out there, on an island somewhere, getting mad about rocks and yelling at kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmoA28ut_aQ