Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

thrawn527 posted:

Has he said that's the reason? Like, I don't doubt that being the real reason, but I thought the stated reason from him was that he felt he was already paid for his work on Justice League, so he's doing this as a labor of love, or something. I'd be pretty surprised if he came out and said, "I'm not taking a paycheck to make sure those assholes who finally let me finish the movie can't tell me to go gently caress myself again."

I'd be happy if he said that, but also surprised.

It wasn't all smooth sailing once the opportunity to complete the film came to him. From the Vanity Fair article, he forgoed pay to leverage more creative control over ZSJL. And his good relations with his actors got us the additional reshoots as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

It wasn't all smooth sailing once the opportunity to complete the film came to him. From the Vanity Fair article, he forgoed pay to leverage more creative control over ZSJL. And his good relations with his actors got us the additional reshoots as well.

I did like that his initial plan was to call up Affleck and Leto and shoot the scene in his back garden with just the three of them.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

AccountSupervisor posted:

Despite a single "misstep" with BvS,

:colbert: Sir or Madam you're going to have to explain yourself or leave

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The VF article is a pro-click for anyone who hasn't read it, even if it does take some lame potshots at fan toxicity instead of spotlighting what Snyder Cut fans have done for the AFSP https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/02/the-true-story-of-justice-league-snyder-cut

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Aidan_702 posted:

Put in quotes as in misstep with the critics a d execs who freaked out because of it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

BvS Ultimate Edition is really loving good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

They must. It not only calls into question decisions made years ago, but now decisions going forward if anything they do doesnt hold muster critically and financially.

The worst case scenario in some manner for them was WW84 tanking and ZSJL being a hit because it somewhat shows the further you stray from Snyders vision the worse off the DCEU is in its current state. Like sure theyre still making money in the end so boohoo for the megacorp and their gargantuan IPs but they cannot ignore the fact that at its core, you cannot escape Snyders hold on the DC world he built and I think WB trying to have their cake with the actors/characters from Snyder but nothing else is just fundamentally a flawed creative and business decision.

It kinda sucks because WB wins either way, and even if they're "wrong" they can basically just collect the money and brush it under the rug and move on, they won't hurt too bad. But it does make them look pretty dumb to those paying attention.

What's going to be real curious is to see how the reboot of Suicide Squad pans out. The first was a disaster (nothing to do with Snyder of course) and they're clearly going in a very different direction with the reboot. If that does well then that could shake things up too with regards to their future direction.

You know what I'd want? Snyder can even direct, but have him do a more direct adaptation like he did with 300 and Watchmen, and directly adapt one of the Bruce Timm Justice League episodes or movies into a live-action/cg version. Those stories had so much heart and character, I really wish they'd pull more from the animated Batman, Superman and JL. But at the moment that's not happening and its not Snyder-verse. (Also I guess you'd have to introduce hawk-girl, but she's cool and they need more ladies in the DCEU JL)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Curiously suicide squad was also a huge hit at the box office. People really liked that movie

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

They must. It not only calls into question decisions made years ago, but now decisions going forward if anything they do doesnt hold muster critically and financially.

The worst case scenario in some manner for them was WW84 tanking and ZSJL being a hit because it somewhat shows the further you stray from Snyders vision the worse off the DCEU is in its current state. Like sure theyre still making money in the end so boohoo for the megacorp and their gargantuan IPs but they cannot ignore the fact that at its core, you cannot escape Snyders hold on the DC world he built and I think WB trying to have their cake with the actors/characters from Snyder but nothing else is just fundamentally a flawed creative and business decision.

Rewatching WW last night and SO much of what makes that movie good and the weight its story has and the commanding role Gadot as as Wonder Woman is directly related to what Snyder set before it with MoS and BvS. When someone like Patty Jenkins gets to play around in THAT world, you get a hit. Now WW84? Thats Patty playing in a "Josstice League we want to be Marvel" world and welp...yeah.

$1bil Aquaman couldnt be further from the tone of stuff like MoS and BvS but it still shares a core DNA with them and a character built from the ground up by Snyders vision and theres no mistaking that is part of their success.

Despite a single "misstep" with BvS, Snyder built them a pretty loving cool world to make movies in and theyre supreme morons for not embracing that while also letting Snyder make his LOTR with Capes films. They really dropped the ball and boy are they in a pickle.

And once again....this would have all been over by now had they just not freaked the gently caress out.

One of the things I'm willing to give Marvel credit for is that when films faltered they didn't panic and do a full 180, they kept pumping out sequels to grow the brand. Thor 1 was pretty unremarkable but it still got 2 sequels, and the third one paid off big time.

Necrothatcher posted:

I did like that his initial plan was to call up Affleck and Leto and shoot the scene in his back garden with just the three of them.

Yeah amazing what you can get away with when you're loved and respected by the crew and not universally reviled

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

teagone posted:

The VF article is a pro-click for anyone who hasn't read it, even if it does take some lame potshots at fan toxicity instead of spotlighting what Snyder Cut fans have done for the AFSP https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/02/the-true-story-of-justice-league-snyder-cut

I do think it's important to point out there were a lot of utter weirdo freaks involved with it and you shouldn't either ignore it or give an 'all sides are bad' response, but they didn't mention (as far as I read) in that article that snyder y'know, condemned a lot of it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I hope after ZSJL, that Snyder is done with cape poo poo for a good long while. Now is the time for him to enter the world of manga/anime.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

It would be kind of funny for the theatrical version to start with iPhone footage, and the Snyder Cut to end with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And also the MCU doesn’t erase the bad movies. Endgame used a lot of age of Ultron and Thor the dark world.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Zaphod42 posted:

Of course it does, and most of Warner Bros is apparently racist as gently caress. But that has nothing to do with whether the Snyder scenes filmed before or after are of high quality, which was what was being discussed. You're twisting this in a really gross way.

Ray Fischer has had nothing but positive things to say about performing Cyborg and working with Zack Snyder. Apparently Zack invited Ray to help develop the character before filming, and it meant the world to him. I saw that same youtube video with the guy saying Ray hated his role, but that runs counter to everything Ray has said publicly.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Aidan_702 posted:

This is me.

"Misstep" in quotes for a reason.

I was there for the birth of this movement. The moment he revealed to the world his cut existed.

Where did you learn to Snyder? A FARM?!

(all in jest)

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 16, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Robot Style posted:

It would be kind of funny for the theatrical version to start with iPhone footage, and the Snyder Cut to end with it.

Hey joker can we interview you for our podcast

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

This is me.

Oh.

Well that's certainly an op delivers scenario

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This is me.

I was there for the birth of this movement. The moment he revealed to the world his cut existed.

Where did you learn to Snyder? A FARM?!

(all in jest)
How come you never told us that Weird Al was your dad?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You know what I'd want? Snyder can even direct, but have him do a more direct adaptation like he did with 300 and Watchmen, and directly adapt one of the Bruce Timm Justice League episodes or movies into a live-action/cg version. Those stories had so much heart and character, I really wish they'd pull more from the animated Batman, Superman and JL. But at the moment that's not happening and its not Snyder-verse. (Also I guess you'd have to introduce hawk-girl, but she's cool and they need more ladies in the DCEU JL)

Can you give an example of the heart and character the animated DC stuff has that the live-action films are missing?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

How come you never told us that Weird Al was your dad?

Weird Al is my defacto lazy Halloween outfit.

Shooting for Weird Als Aquaman for the first post-covid Halloween.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

It kinda sucks because WB wins either way, and even if they're "wrong" they can basically just collect the money and brush it under the rug and move on, they won't hurt too bad. But it does make them look pretty dumb to those paying attention.

What's going to be real curious is to see how the reboot of Suicide Squad pans out. The first was a disaster (nothing to do with Snyder of course) and they're clearly going in a very different direction with the reboot. If that does well then that could shake things up too with regards to their future direction.

Actually, the SS squad fiasco can be directly traced to BvS. It got bad critical reviews for being "too dark", and around the same time one of the trailers to SS got a real good reception (the one set to one of the Queen songs) so they insisted on changes to make the film more "fun", to the films detriment. Basically SS got butchered in the editing room as a response to critics being gigantic babies over BvS.

Also i feel it needs to be said that Snyder is never ever going to make a Timm style JL film, because Zack himself has said he likes to challenge the audience. There's a reason there's tons of property damage in MoS, there's a reason Batman is an unhinged lunatic in BvS. Zack could have smoothed those edges down but he wants there to be an edge because he doesn't like to make empty pop corn films.

Plus Snyders films have plenty of heart already, thank you very much :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

roffels posted:

Ray Fischer has had nothing but positive things to say about performing Cyborg and working with Zack Snyder. Apparently Zack invited Ray to help develop the character before filming, and it meant the world to him. I saw that same youtube video with the guy saying Ray hated his role, but that runs counter to everything Ray has said publicly.

Putting the pieces together it does seem like if there was any truth to it, then maybe he was saying he didn't want anything to do with the film once Whedon came on and everything got toxic and racist.
That or its just nonsense rumors. Who knows. But yeah I was just reading an article saying similar things about Fischer getting to write the character with Snyder so that's really cool.

So what was in those Superman themed cocktails?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Would Superman disapprove of me loving up my civic responsibilities by watching this monster of a movie right before I have to go in for jury duty?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

So what was in those Superman themed cocktails?

Sugar and green food coloring.

The fajitas and tacos were surprisingly good though!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

McCloud posted:

Actually, the SS squad fiasco can be directly traced to BvS. It got bad critical reviews for being "too dark", and around the same time one of the trailers to SS got a real good reception (the one set to one of the Queen songs) so they insisted on changes to make the film more "fun", to the films detriment. Basically SS got butchered in the editing room as a response to critics being gigantic babies over BvS.
That's true, I remember hearing a trailer house did the final movie edit?

Lmao, are we going to see a "release the Suicide Squad cut" campaign ever? :)

McCloud posted:

Also i feel it needs to be said that Snyder is never ever going to make a Timm style JL film, because Zack himself has said he likes to challenge the audience. There's a reason there's tons of property damage in MoS, there's a reason Batman is an unhinged lunatic in BvS. Zack could have smoothed those edges down but he wants there to be an edge because he doesn't like to make empty pop corn films.

Plus Snyders films have plenty of heart already, thank you very much :colbert:

I'm not sure you can say a Timm style movie can't challenge you or be dark, I don't think the animated series were totally kiddy even though they were cartoons. The animated Batman certainly got real dark, arguably darker than any of the Snyder or Nolan films ever did. There's an animated batman episode where one of the villains is a little girl and it ends up she's dying, and the resolution isn't that batman finds some miracle cure for her but rather than he hugs her and tells her its okay. And then she dies. That's plenty challenging, and not remotely popcorn.

E: Its darker than I remembered. Batman is even sent to kill her to stop her from hurting others, although he talks her out of it instead. But she still dies.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 16, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

roffels posted:

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1269390792499630080?s=20

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1369369409928765444?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

I do think it's important to point out there were a lot of utter weirdo freaks involved with it and you shouldn't either ignore it or give an 'all sides are bad' response, but they didn't mention (as far as I read) in that article that snyder y'know, condemned a lot of it

Read further:

Vanity Fair Snyder Cut article posted:

The trolls may have actually held back the movement, like looters at an otherwise peaceful demonstration. Snyder cringes at descriptions of the abusive tactics. “I 100 percent think it’s wrong,” he says. “I don’t think that anyone should be calling anyone anything. I’ve always tried to give people in the fandom attention who do good things.”

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure you can say a Timm style movie can't challenge you or be dark, I don't think the animated series were totally kiddy even though they were cartoons. The animated Batman certainly got real dark, arguably darker than any of the Snyder or Nolan films ever did. There's an animated batman episode where one of the villains is a little girl and it ends up she's dying, and the resolution isn't that batman finds some miracle cure for her but rather than he hugs her and tells her its okay. That's plenty challenging, and not remotely popcorn.

There's been a ReleaseTheAyer cut campaign going on, but it's kinda been put on the back burner due to Snyders film coming out, but if ZSJL does well you can bet your rear end there's gonna be talks about releasing Ayers version too.

Also ace dying isn't really challenging the audience, like at all. It's tragic, sure, but it's hardly controversial. Indeed it's usually one of the first examples used to showcase Batmans humanity and kind nature.

Showing Batman mowing down thugs and branding criminals like cattle because he's utterly lost his way and given in to despair on the other hand...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
There is a low key release the Ayer cut thing happening with suicide squad actually

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

teagone posted:

Read further:

Ah thanks,

confused that article with another (more unfair) I'd already read

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I was curious about how ZSJL's RT score compared to Snyder's previous movies, and was interested that MoS's RT was higher than I remembered (56%). What was really surprising, though, was that ZSJL currently has a barely lower Metascore (54) than MoS (55). Does anyone know enough to explain why that's the case? Has RT's (or metacritic's) methodology changed since 2013?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Zaphod42 posted:

Both Ayer and Yan,the director is BoP have expressed they'd like to follow suit with their own true cuts. Ayer has been very vocal on Twitter about HIS cut

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Looking at the poster I got from the BvS screening and to think about that little "214" easter egg on it and all the theories and doubts about what it meant and now we are here on the week of release with an even longer cut and positive reviews is just :dance:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gatts posted:

I am planning my week for Friday Night to watch this movie. I need to figure out what food and drink goes with this movie.

The Snyder Burger Box or bust, sorry.

Zaphod42 posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1371143208202166276

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

McCloud posted:

There's been a ReleaseTheAyer cut campaign going on, but it's kinda been put on the back burner due to Snyders film coming out, but if ZSJL does well you can bet your rear end there's gonna be talks about releasing Ayers version too.

Also ace dying isn't really challenging the audience, like at all. It's tragic, sure, but it's hardly controversial. Indeed it's usually one of the first examples used to showcase Batmans humanity and kind nature.

Showing Batman mowing down thugs and branding criminals like cattle because he's utterly lost his way and given in to despair on the other hand...

Ah I think I had heard about that somewhere but forgot about it because it hasn't has as much attention as the snyder cut. Would be interesting to see for sure.

Although with the big budget reboot coming full of top name celebrities, Ayer may have a harder time getting the traction and audience Snyder did to back him into pushing his version out.

Well, what does "challenging" mean to you, or to Snyder? I thought you meant challenging like adult, dark, mature themes. But you mean challenging like, "this isn't my batman" ?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

I hope after ZSJL, that Snyder is done with cape poo poo for a good long while. Now is the time for him to enter the world of manga/anime.

Let's see some Goku reboot.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah I think I had heard about that somewhere but forgot about it because it hasn't has as much attention as the snyder cut. Would be interesting to see for sure.

Although with the big budget reboot coming full of top name celebrities, Ayer may have a harder time getting the traction and audience Snyder did to back him into pushing his version out.

Well, what does "challenging" mean to you, or to Snyder? I thought you meant challenging like adult, dark, mature themes. But you mean challenging like, "this isn't my batman" ?

Avengers Infinity War features multiple scenes of torture & lovable protagonists being forced to personally murder their loved ones. But it's not challenging anything artistically.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Imma be real for a second here. No one on the cast of the new suicide squad is a bigger name than Will Smith and it’s a shame he isn’t returning since imo he was a huge highlight of the original

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If a Suicide Squad Ayer cut comes out complete with Steppenwolf, motherboxes, and parademons, I will take a 1 month probation. :toxx:

Darko posted:

I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

teagone posted:

If a Suicide Squad Ayer cut comes out complete with Steppenwolf, motherboxes, and parademons, I will take a 1 month probation. :toxx:

Wait, Steppenwolf was supposed to be in Suicide Squad originally??? :allears: How? Or is this just a total random joke?

Darko posted:

Its so funny that movie ends with a plot cliffhanger like they were certain they'd get a followup to dragon ball evolution.

But the world needs dragon ball evolution Z!

KVeezy3 posted:

Avengers Infinity War features multiple scenes of torture & lovable protagonists being forced to personally murder their loved ones. But it's not challenging anything artistically.

Yeah but I feel the same way about BvS :v: I think the Ace death scene is more challenging than "Martha!"