Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps

Nexein posted:

Barging into the cooking thread because I didn't know we had a cooking thread

Today I made what I think is a pretty close approximation of Gyudon for someone who has never actually had Gyudon, sorta.

I omitted the sugar because I'm coming off a fast and I didn't wanna spike my heart into oblivion and added oyster sauce so it was probably more savory and less caramely than it could have been but I'm happy with it.

missed the chance to show off your shiny new chopstick holder I see. For shame.

Edit: TTTRIPLEPOST :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Gramps posted:

missed the chance to show off your shiny new chopstick holder I see. For shame.

Edit: TTTRIPLEPOST :bahgawd:

I would eat the H*ck out of that foodstuff.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.
So the plating might be underwhelming and yes the tea is Lipton but I'm still happy with how breakfast turned out.

https://ibb.co/gSsTbC6

Chickpeas in hot pepper sauce, hummus, labneh, fresh mozzarella, green olives, side salad, and toasted pita bread.

Inspired by the Turkish restaurant near me which serves breakfast including homemade cheese, homemade bread, charcoal-grilled sausage, and a ton of little sides. Been hankerin' for that set but, you know, COVID.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 8, 2021

Prof. Crocodile

Bright Bart posted:

So the plating might be underwhelming and yes the tea is Lipton but I'm still happy with how breakfast turned out.

https://ibb.co/gSsTbC6

Chickpeas in hot pepper sauce, labneh, hummus, fresh mozzarella green olives, side salad, and toasted pita bread.

Inspired by the Turkish restaurant near me which serves breakfast including homemade cheese, homemade bread, charcoal-grilled sausage, and a ton of little sides. Been hankerin' for that set but, you know, COVID.

Would savor that breakfast, saving the olives for last so I could nibble them and enjoy them slowly.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I have to talk about what I made last night.

RATATOUILLE

So first off let me preface anything with me saying I've never had Ratatouille in my life. I cannot speak to how close this treatment hews to an authentic Ratatouille recipe. Anyway, I used this recipe as the general base for my activities. The more I looked it over, I realized what I was reading made Ratatouille sound like nothing less than a vegetable confit. So much olive oil in each step with each ingredient getting a lot of time to steep in the oil. It sounded like it was going to be very soft but delicious.

I wanted to counteract the softness somewhat by giving it something to sit on that was at least firm. I landed on fried polenta cakes because I had a bag of polenta sitting on my counter for the last few days. Then I thought to add goat cheese because I had an opened CostCo tube of goat cheese in my fridge. Then I topped it with some crisped up prosciutto bits because I had some in my fridge from when I forgot to add it to another dish a few days ago.

Everyone? All this random stuff all together made for one of the favorite things I've made in a long long time. Lady Pepper enjoyed that as well, saying, "That was delicious, babe. I housed that." No, she is not someone who often says or should(?) say "housed", but here we are.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I've never tried ratatouille with goats cheese, but that sounds like a pro move and I would also house it.

I did once try to make the version from the that film and it was very time consuming, not like it was in that film and not worth it really- but still delicious.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Would savor that breakfast, saving the olives for last so I could nibble them and enjoy them slowly.

:D Normally I pour some olive oil on the hummus but thought I'd try it with olives on the pita. Should have added a drizzle over the cucumbers and tomato for a nicer photo.

Also: That ratatouille looks both rustic and gourmand at the same time.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Homemade hummus is so unbelievably good for how easy it is to make. I keep a little bottle of pomegranate molasses around just to finish off hummus with. It's really nice.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Escape From Noise

Goat cheese is so fuckin' good

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"
Green curry pork happened today and despite being sinfully ugly I'm posting about it in the spirit of :justpost:

I snagged a boned pork roast for like half off so I diced and braised it, seared the veggies and then reduced the coconut milk and cooked off the curry paste. yeah, paste, because I'm lazy, and it's impossible to find Thai chili here.

Incredibly not photogenic but hot dog is it tasty

e: it's also cauli rice

https://giant.gfycat.com/FragrantGorgeousLeech.mp4
Spring masterpiece courtesy of Prof. Crocodile, thanks!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Had a bunch of dried mushrooms, so I spent all afternoon grinding them into powder. I don't like the texture of whole rehydrated mushrooms but the powder is very useful to mix in with all kinds of things. One batch was just straight shiitake, and another batch was a blend of 7 or 8 different kinds. It gets everywhere though while it's grinding, and it's very fine. Probably going to sprout spores in my sinuses.

Derpies

by sebmojo
Made these street tacos tonight

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
:yum: would x3

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

it’s meatless mondays at casa pepper

butternut squash, chickpea and kale coconut curry over brown rice with crispy tofu

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

it’s meatless mondays at casa pepper

butternut squash, chickpea and kale coconut curry over brown rice with crispy tofu

God drat, I would eat that

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Teddy Thunders posted:

God drat, I would eat that

it was real good

dribbled lime juice over it

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

You ever just look at the curry you're cooking and go "drat I would eat this every day" bendier I just did that to your dinner

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Teddy Thunders posted:

You ever just look at the curry you're cooking and go "drat I would eat this every day" bendier I just did that to your dinner

i’m forever cursed to feel middling at best at the prospect of leftovers no matter how delicious i found the original offering

like we’re going to eat this again on wednesday but i know i’ll just be shoveling food into my unexcited maw

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

i’m forever cursed to feel middling at best at the prospect of leftovers no matter how delicious i found the original offering

like we’re going to eat this again on wednesday but i know i’ll just be shoveling food into my unexcited maw

Even if you put nice garnishes on top? The garnish is what makes the leftovers edible imo.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also I feel this way with like, large amounts of beans. I get tired of the same beans day 2.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Teddy Thunders posted:

Even if you put nice garnishes on top? The garnish is what makes the leftovers edible imo.

most of my good garnishes are earmarked for the lettuce wraps planned for tomorrow i am my worst enemy

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

most of my good garnishes are earmarked for the lettuce wraps planned for tomorrow i am my worst enemy

Wanna see them wraps

I ended up with potatoes and eggplant and onions and tomatoes because I guess it's an alliums and nightshades night.

Escape From Noise

I usually eat the same curry for like a week

Escape From Noise

What I'm saying is I could eat that curry for a week at least.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Who amongst us would not eat the rear end end out of that curry

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i went rear end to rear end with that curry and it was a good time

more falafel please

forums poster

i need to start planning and making lunches to freeze like curry and burritos and poo poo. maybe make a proper bolognese and make a lasagna

I don't like to eat the same thing every day but if I make like 5 servings of a bunch of different things I can stagger it, but that means I have to freeze them

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

I made a bunch of tortilla soup last night.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

more falafel please posted:

i need to start planning and making lunches to freeze like curry and burritos and poo poo. maybe make a proper bolognese and make a lasagna

I don't like to eat the same thing every day but if I make like 5 servings of a bunch of different things I can stagger it, but that means I have to freeze them

three or four times a year i make a gigantic pot of chili and it’s as close to a religious ceremony i have in my life

it takes all day receiving intense care and attention

i parcel out the freezer bags of chili for storage and know when push comes to shove the answer to what’s for finger can be “chili i guess?” and that is of immense comfort to me

Escape From Noise

Bo-Pepper posted:

three or four times a year i make a gigantic pot of chili and it’s as close to a religious ceremony i have in my life

it takes all day receiving intense care and attention

i parcel out the freezer bags of chili for storage and know when push comes to shove the answer to what’s for finger can be “chili i guess?” and that is of immense comfort to me

What is finger? How is chili formed?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Chili is the most complicated magic spell I work and it's absolutely worth 12 hours of my life.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

where i’m from finger means dinner you must be poorly traveled and it’s certainly not a spell check alteration

Escape From Noise

Bo-Pepper posted:

where i’m from finger means dinner you must be poorly traveled and it’s certainly not a spell check alteration

I'm deeply sorry if I gave you the impression that I was anything other than a country bumpkin who survives off of foraged acorns and government cheese.

Areola Grande

Teddy Thunders posted:

Chili is the most complicated magic spell I work and it's absolutely worth 12 hours of my life.

just use a crock pot. set it and forget it babyyyy

tyvm Justa Dandelion and Ravenous Scoot

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

prepuce repurposed posted:

just use a crock pot. set it and forget it babyyyy

My chili is dark magic

Areola Grande

Ok somebody post a chili recipe that can fit within a 7 quart crock pot and I'll make it. I'm on a lifelong quest for the perfect recipe

tyvm Justa Dandelion and Ravenous Scoot

more falafel please

forums poster

what's a good veggie sub for beef broth? veggie stock with some fish sauce maybe?

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

more falafel please posted:

what's a good veggie sub for beef broth? veggie stock with some fish sauce maybe?

Veggie stock plus liquid aminos works p good too, also if you have just decent soy sauce and veg broth that works. Basically you're just wanting to hit somewhat umami + watery.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also the tiniest drop of liquid smoke will ratchet up the flavor like a roasted bone will.

My dad also does a thing where he'll cook the vegetables down and then squeeze every last drop of liquor off of them. Then he boils the liquor with aromatics and adds his umami stuff (he uses kombu and soy paste sometimes, sometimes he uses kombu and fish sauce, sometimes it's all over the place) and repeats until it's intense. Then he uses that for a soup base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Here is my thoroughly adequate tortilla soup.