Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Items 2 and 3 seem normal? Like people progress at different rates. The rest seems pretty crap though. Would your spouse and kids switch gyms too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Counterpoint - drilling the gently caress out of osoto gari is good and we all should probably be doing it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

1. I have a lot of friends here and leaving would feel like a betrayal. Same goes for the instructor.

You are paying them to teach you things there is no such thing as betrayal. Weirdo capitalist thinking.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

I used to train there, don't have any connections there anymore or anything but I'm not surprised to hear this kinda stuff going on. I enjoyed the family oriented aspect of the place but around the time I left a lot of the "monetization" stuff started getting implemented and it really made me sour on it. Back then there were no fees for promotions and promotions happened when the instructor (the head dude) felt it was appropriate, and not on a set schedule. Which is how it should be imo.

If I were in your shoes I would definitely consider looking for new places. I recently changed gyms as well and the place I'm at now is incredible. Where you're at I know there's no lack of good gyms so I'm sure you can find a great place.

Ive been told by a black belt friend of mine that when the purple belts and brown belts arent making it to black because they are leaving...thats a big problem and indicative of other things that are occurring.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 3, 2021

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Items 2 and 3 seem normal? Like people progress at different rates. The rest seems pretty crap though. Would your spouse and kids switch gyms too?

I would agree if these people were actually training regularly, but they are not.

Right now the wife acknowledges problems but doesnt want to leave.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Ive been told by a black belt friend of mine that when the purple belts and brown belts arent making it to black because they are leaving...thats a big problem and indicative of other things that are occurring.

Yeah I agree. Even back in the day there weren't many purple/browns that stuck around.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I would agree if these people were actually training regularly, but they are not.

Right now the wife acknowledges problems but doesnt want to leave.

Ah, yeah that's tough.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You are paying them to teach you things there is no such thing as betrayal. Weirdo capitalist thinking.

Wouldn't the capitalist way of thinking be to dump them when you aren't getting your money's worth? If anything it's more cult like.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It sounds like you already know what you need to do but you have to convince your family. I wouldn’t stay in a place like that. If those people are genuinely your friends, they’ll still be your friends after you switch gyms too.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 3, 2021

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Tacos, it's time to come over to the dark side. Forget about that gi life porra.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

leftist heap posted:

Wouldn't the capitalist way of thinking be to dump them when you aren't getting your money's worth? If anything it's more cult like.

Brand loyalty is a thing that has been cultivated for decades so no, it is as capitalistic as it gets. An ideology that does as much as it can to hide the fact that it's one of many is also very cult-like.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I hope i dont out myself by posting this (want to keep it on the DL) but Im thinking of quitting my gym.

A few reasons why:

Other posters have already said most of the stuff I would, so I'll just add: having your entire family at one gym is no doubt convenient from a logistical and financial perspective, but it's probably gonna come with some compromises. I'm in a city with a strong BJJ scene, and out of the three schools I'd recommend for someone who just moved here, one has the strongest program for adult beginners, one has the strongest program for competitive women and young men, and one has the strongest program for children and competitive old men. You said upper belts have been leaving--where have they gone to, especially the ones with partners and kids?

L0cke17 posted:

My mother in law and brother in law have shown an interest in bjj, so I have started showing them basic stuff. We have to see them anyways because they babysit my son, so it's a way to get some hugfighting in without adding risk and it feels so good to do even basic stuff on the mats.

Basically I've started teaching them the absolute basic stuff that I feel comfortable with enough to explain for now. It feels really weird to be teaching at all, and I just hope I'm not screwing up too horribly.

Teaching an enthusiastic absolute beginner is one of the most rewarding things you can do, IMO. Review some good instructional videos to brush up, sketch out a few lesson plans, and have fun.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Tacos, it's time to come over to the dark side. Forget about that gi life porra.

LOL that might not be out of the question if you get my drift. Love you guys and have been nothing but kind to me.

I do still like the Gi though and my improvement in the gi has me excited to try competing in it again.

Nestharken posted:

You said upper belts have been leaving--where have they gone to, especially the ones with partners and kids?

Other gyms around where I live. There have been quite a few reasons why. Some are using covid as an excuse im almost positive. I have never really asked my friends directly why they left, I just kind of figured it was for similar reasons.

edit: heebrew reminded me of something else: no open mat to people who want to come in and roll. If they want to, they have to pay $30 and sign a waiver. So I cant have a friend just drop in and roll, even if they train somewhere else which always seemed weird to me.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 4, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I hope i dont out myself by posting this (want to keep it on the DL) but Im thinking of quitting my gym.

A few reasons why:

1. Belt promotions that you have to pay for (and by pay I mean PAY).
5. A lack of advanced classes for the purple belts and up (I dont need to learn the bump and roll mount escape for the 100th time). Classes are geared toward white and blue belts.
6. No morning classes
7. Professors walking off the mat or late into class.
9. Kids classes are a loving mess and I am reliant on private lessons to see my kids are progressing. My kids dont need to learn Osoto Gari for the 1000th time, they are getting bored with that poo poo.
11. I cant loving hear my instructor because of fitness classes and boxing classes at night making too much noise.

Your #1 is my go/nogo for any gym. That's an immediate fail.

All the other stuff is bad too. Start shopping around.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gimme 50 bucks to put this finger tape on your belt to show others you've marginally improved. 100 bucks for a different color belt.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

LOL that might not be out of the question if you get my drift. Love you guys and have been nothing but kind to me.

I do still like the Gi though and my improvement in the gi has me excited to try competing in it again.

Other gyms around where I live. There have been quite a few reasons why. Some are using covid as an excuse im almost positive. I have never really asked my friends directly why they left, I just kind of figured it was for similar reasons.

edit: heebrew reminded me of something else: no open mat to people who want to come in and roll. If they want to, they have to pay $30 and sign a waiver. So I cant have a friend just drop in and roll, even if they train somewhere else which always seemed weird to me.

Waivers are pretty universal for drop-ins, but I've only ever had to pay for a drop-in (even if they list a price on their website) at the really big-name gyms.

People switch gyms all the time and it isn't (or at least shouldn't be) the end of the world. If you're civil about it and just say something like "gym X is a better fit for the type of training that I want", your instructors and teammates shouldn't have any hard feelings, and if they do... then it's probably a sign that you should have switched a long time ago.

It is unfortunate that pandemic hellworld makes it kind of dicey to shop around for gyms or cross-train at open mats, but hopefully we're almost through it.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Anyone in this thread familiar with Logan Farr?

https://www.instagram.com/mr.footloose

He's a veteran who lost both of his feet in an accident, got interested in adaptive sports and Crossfit, and is now heel hooking dudes in tournaments with no threat of counters. I think it's really cool. Everyone uses their physical attributes in grappling, this is just a bigger than usual wrinkle in the meta from an outlier and just challenges his opponents to get better fair and square. His meme game is also strong.

Thoughts? Would you feel cheated if your opponent was missing your favorite target?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Decades posted:

Thoughts? Would you feel cheated if your opponent was missing your favorite target?

I think its great. Its not like he doesn't have a neck/knees/arms/wrists you can't work on, people just need to improve their game. I used to train with a then brown but now black belt who only has one hand. Only having a single hand did not keep him from beating the living poo poo out of virtually everyone in our gym despite him only weighing around 150 lbs.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I often wondered if there were any BJJ pros who have though about getting a bone shaving procedure on their heel to make it less knobby but I think it would be hard to find a doc to do that and also you might not be able to walk well after?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

I often wondered if there were any BJJ pros who have though about getting a bone shaving procedure on their heel to make it less knobby but I think it would be hard to find a doc to do that and also you might not be able to walk well after?

Our soft tissue has to attach to something, dawg.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't remember who said it but some track athlete with no lower legs was asked if he thought those carbon fiber blade things gave him an unfair advantage.

His answer was "well, I've invited anyone who thinks that to try them out. So far, no takers."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xguard86 posted:

I don't remember who said it but some track athlete with no lower legs was asked if he thought those carbon fiber blade things gave him an unfair advantage.

His answer was "well, I've invited anyone who thinks that to try them out. So far, no takers."

Thats the South African guy who murdered his gf a few years later OP.

He also got smoked in the final heat.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Decades posted:

Anyone in this thread familiar with Logan Farr?

https://www.instagram.com/mr.footloose

He's a veteran who lost both of his feet in an accident, got interested in adaptive sports and Crossfit, and is now heel hooking dudes in tournaments with no threat of counters. I think it's really cool. Everyone uses their physical attributes in grappling, this is just a bigger than usual wrinkle in the meta from an outlier and just challenges his opponents to get better fair and square. His meme game is also strong.

:D Logan is my teammate. We roll together all the time. Actually really cool to see someone on these forums talk about him. I think it's hilarious to see people talk about it as if not having feet is an unfair advantage. Logan is absolutely skilled at leglocks and you do not want to trade leglocks with him, but his not having feet is absolutely not an advantage fo a lot of aspects of BJJ.

Logan is a total savage though and he is not someone you want to take lightly just because he has a physical disability. He's also hilarious.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpXcI3J9pz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

This is the greatest photograph I have ever seen.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Holy poo poo I also am familiar Logan. We rolled once back when I was a white belt and he was either a fresh blue on the cusp of getting his blue. He leglocked the poo poo out of me even then and was an absolute beast. I even have a post training photo

https://imgur.com/a/euv9ZXx

Jerome do you train in Jersey with Campisi? Or has Logan switched schools.

butros fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 5, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mekchu posted:

Thats the South African guy who murdered his gf a few years later OP.

He also got smoked in the final heat.

Pistorous? poo poo Well, still a good quote.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Jerome Louis posted:

:D Logan is my teammate. We roll together all the time. Actually really cool to see someone on these forums talk about him. I think it's hilarious to see people talk about it as if not having feet is an unfair advantage. Logan is absolutely skilled at leglocks and you do not want to trade leglocks with him, but his not having feet is absolutely not an advantage fo a lot of aspects of BJJ.

Logan is a total savage though and he is not someone you want to take lightly just because he has a physical disability. He's also hilarious.

Small world. Yeah it seems like it'd only be an advantage in a couple of narrows ways, mainly that it seems like it'd be hard to clear an ashi garami / SLX without the foot to use as a lever. But the disadvantage of no butterfly-style hooks available ever alone balances it out. If he's able to funnel people into his game successfully then poo poo that's what it's all about.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

butros posted:

Jerome do you train in Jersey with Campisi? Or has Logan switched schools.

We were at Ultimate Fitness in Sacramento, CA but we switched to Precision BJJ in Sac this year. Small world!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Ive seen so many kids cry on the mat (mine included), it doesnt even phase me anymore :D

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

We're doing a Quintet style in-house tournament at our gym. I'm a team captain, and am wondering about strategy.

Does the best guy normally go first, to take out as many opponents as possible? Or held in reserve until the end, to take out whatever exhausted competitor reaches him? I've got probably the most dangerous guy in the tournament but I'm going to have a bunch of low level blues and whites on my team as well and I'm not sure how to set the order.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How does it work between rounds? You bring out the same five guys in the same order against each team?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

That's awesome. My gym's in-house Quintet tournaments have been hands-down the most fun I've had in BJJ. The first time we did it, we had the four most experienced guys as captains doing a serious snake draft weeks in advance, and the second time, we had the absolute newest white belts as captains drafting people off the wall right before we started like it was a dodgeball game (and in no-gi attire, so they didn't even have belts to aid their guesses). To answer the question above--you get to pick your lineup in secret right before you go against each team, or at least that's how we did it.

As far as strategy goes, there's a few different ways to play it, but the big thing to keep in mind is that unless someone has an unstoppable trick up their sleeve* or a truly bottomless gas tank, the whole point of the format is to take advantage of the fact that getting shark tanked in a tournament setting is exhausting and will bring metaphorical giants to their knees in a hurry, so assuming you have more than two teams of five and will thus have to do multiple rounds to win the whole thing, you need to think about how much recovery time your best guys are getting in between rounds. You could put your killer up front in the first match, let him run through as many people as possible, and then make him the anchor in the second round so that he has a chance to recover. I got put in that spot as the second-most dangerous person on my team last time and it worked out pretty well. Another thing to keep in mind is how you're approaching the strategy for each of your team members--a white belt with solid defense can "take out" a dangerous purple belt if they can just weather the storm for five minutes and not get tapped, which will be even easier if said purple belt is already exhausted from a tough round or two several seconds prior, and that same white belt can go for the kill against a white or newer blue belt who just scraped by in their previous match.

*the first time we did it, one team put up a guy first each time who was really good at heelhooks and tore through literally everyone in about 20 seconds or less

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Nestharken posted:

*the first time we did it, one team put up a guy first each time who was really good at heelhooks and tore through literally everyone in about 20 seconds or less

i remember that lachlan giles tournament

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's a bit of a game. You want your guy who is hardest to submit going against their best guy (to eliminate by time-out), and you want your best guy going against their guys with the worst defense (to get a lead). What you need to do is guess how that is going to line up.

If your team outside of your top guy has stronger defensive attributes overall, put your best guy closer to the front of the lineup so you can ride a lead to victory. If your team outside of the top guy has stronger offensive attributes overall, put the best guy at the end as a backstop.

And then how your individual matches go should depend on the relative value of the opponent.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I wouldn’t think about it too hard. If everyone just winds up getting some fun tournament style rolls in then that’s also a success.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got my 1st shot last week and get my 2nd next month. I'll finally go back to class but man is it going to be rough. Out of shape is an understatement. Hoping the weather breaks soon (though it just snowed a few inches in Chicago) so I can get out and cycle just to start something going.

I believe it's been 1 year almost exactly till my last class. Beats my previous longest of not training of 6 months or so.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nestharken posted:

That's awesome. My gym's in-house Quintet tournaments have been hands-down the most fun I've had in BJJ. The first time we did it, we had the four most experienced guys as captains doing a serious snake draft weeks in advance, and the second time, we had the absolute newest white belts as captains drafting people off the wall right before we started like it was a dodgeball game (and in no-gi attire, so they didn't even have belts to aid their guesses). To answer the question above--you get to pick your lineup in secret right before you go against each team, or at least that's how we did it.

As far as strategy goes, there's a few different ways to play it, but the big thing to keep in mind is that unless someone has an unstoppable trick up their sleeve* or a truly bottomless gas tank, the whole point of the format is to take advantage of the fact that getting shark tanked in a tournament setting is exhausting and will bring metaphorical giants to their knees in a hurry, so assuming you have more than two teams of five and will thus have to do multiple rounds to win the whole thing, you need to think about how much recovery time your best guys are getting in between rounds. You could put your killer up front in the first match, let him run through as many people as possible, and then make him the anchor in the second round so that he has a chance to recover. I got put in that spot as the second-most dangerous person on my team last time and it worked out pretty well. Another thing to keep in mind is how you're approaching the strategy for each of your team members--a white belt with solid defense can "take out" a dangerous purple belt if they can just weather the storm for five minutes and not get tapped, which will be even easier if said purple belt is already exhausted from a tough round or two several seconds prior, and that same white belt can go for the kill against a white or newer blue belt who just scraped by in their previous match.

This is good advice, I hadn't considered the value of someone bad eliminating someone good via draw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Today is the 1-year anniversary of my last time at the gym before our community shut down, and Saturday was the anniversary of the last time I rolled before covid started. I've been getting a few rolls in here and there recently when we've had low local cases.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Over a year now for me. It's SFL so everyone has been back for ... 11.5 months? Lol

Still no shot on the horizon sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Been just over a year for me now. I'm up for my second jab next week so looking at early April for rolling once full coverage kicks in. Talked with my Wife about it and we're both ok with me rolling with fully vaxed people one-on-one or in small group settings with 100% vax coverage so looking forward to that, already have a few of my old training partners lined up getting their shots around the same time.

I miss my old school but I won't say that there's not a small pat of me that's also relieved that it won't be formal classes because there's no way I could do the granbys in warmup right now.