Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm only going say this here. But as a lowly peon as an extra on some days and stand in on others, Zack still talked to me, let me sit at the table with the regular actors on set, let me literally sit behind him and his cinematographer while they were working, and I'll always appreciate him for that. One of the better bosses I've ever had.

Back when Detroit had a film incentive, it was mostly "you're coloring up the scene to make it authentic." He was different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

If a Suicide Squad Ayer cut comes out complete with Steppenwolf, motherboxes, and parademons, I will take a 1 month probation. :toxx:

I'm down.

Dude why

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait, Steppenwolf was supposed to be in Suicide Squad originally??? :allears: How? Or is this just a total random joke?

It's real.

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1066495270702145536?s=19

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1066515202261213184?s=19

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Darko posted:

Let's see some Goku reboot.

Does this mean we'd get Michael Shannon as Vegeta?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Imma be real for a second here. No one on the cast of the new suicide squad is a bigger name than Will Smith and it’s a shame he isn’t returning since imo he was a huge highlight of the original

The problem with Will Smith in Suicide Squad is you kind of have to make him the main character because he's Will Smith and that steals the spotlight of what should be more of an ensemble piece, and Deadshot is not a super interesting character

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

What the fuuuuuuuck that's crazy

I wonder how much of that was actually shot? Between that and all the Jared Leto Joker stuff they may have just as much footage on the cutting room floor as JL.

Dang I may be on board team #AyerCut now lmao

E: That explains why the climax of suicide squad was such a tonal mess. Feels like they crafted it out of a scene that wasn't really meant for it.

Robot Style posted:

HAH

Oh my godddd that's too good for this world

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

Dude why

Why to the Ayer cut probe? Or why to the Snyder Goku reboot? Lmao.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah I think I had heard about that somewhere but forgot about it because it hasn't has as much attention as the snyder cut. Would be interesting to see for sure.

Although with the big budget reboot coming full of top name celebrities, Ayer may have a harder time getting the traction and audience Snyder did to back him into pushing his version out.

Well, what does "challenging" mean to you, or to Snyder? I thought you meant challenging like adult, dark, mature themes. But you mean challenging like, "this isn't my batman" ?

Challenging in the sense that the audiences preconceptions are challenged. Man of Steel famously features massive collateral damage due to the metropolis fight, and people reacted harshly to this because they are used to sanitized violence where no one but the bad guys get hurt.

The audience is fine with this

https://twitter.com/CBMshots/status/1351140908272594953?s=20

because "no one got hurt", but they freak the gently caress out over this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTxZl_ffcv0

because oh my gosh knocking villains through buildings has consequences who could have known!!

It's jarring and unsettling. That's an example of what i mean

Edit: That youtube link is proclick btw, it edits the metropolis segment from MoS and BvS together and it looks smooth af

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Robot Style posted:

Holy poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Piell posted:

The problem with Will Smith in Suicide Squad is you kind of have to make him the main character because he's Will Smith and that steals the spotlight of what should be more of an ensemble piece, and Deadshot is not a super interesting character

I honestly didn’t care about dead shot before but Will Smith turned up the charisma very hard for me (especially considering his work in the later part of his career being so bad)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Will Smith doesn't command as much star power in film anymore. He and Ben Affleck starring in Mad Max-ified Justice League Part 3 is a movie I will forever lament the loss of.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

McCloud posted:

Edit: That youtube link is proclick btw, it edits the metropolis segment from MoS and BvS together and it looks smooth af

The ending of MoS became even better with BvS because precisely that it got framed as Kryptonian 9/11 "Mankind is introduced..." and like ... we KNOW how many brains were shattered by real world 9/11.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darko posted:

Let's see some Goku reboot.

Reminds me that I still got to take time to watch the new Broly film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

Why to the Ayer cut probe? Or why to the Snyder Goku reboot? Lmao.

The probe man. You’re a good poster don’t do this!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

McCloud posted:

Challenging in the sense that the audiences preconceptions are challenged. Man of Steel famously features massive collateral damage due to the metropolis fight, and people reacted harshly to this because they are used to sanitized violence where no one but the bad guys get hurt.

because oh my gosh knocking villains through buildings has consequences who could have known!!

Hm, I don't quite agree. If the Timmverse version had him hitting darkseid up into the air or into space, and then everybody just cheered, you'd be 100% right. But they actually take the time to animate him getting knocked through all the buildings. (I love that scene btw, Supes showes up and he's PISSED and its awesome) The cartoon doesn't spend a ton of time lingering on people being mad at superman, but if you're observant you notice it as a problem. The thing being that it would be worse if he wasn't there.

The Man of Steel backlash from the audience as I understood it wasn't "how dare superman break poo poo", but more "this is dumb, if Superman cares so much about people, why doesn't he try to do things better? Why not fight somewhere else?" It comes across as being careless more than being some great necessary sacrifice. That's a tonal failure of MOS IMO, not that its "challenging".

I think the idea of Superman losing popularity because he hurts people and Batman being against him is a great story, but it just all felt way too rushed between MOS, BVS and JL. Hopefully the Snyder cut with its longer runtime gives us more breathing room to feel where batman's head is at and see him come around on supes, because in the cinematic releases it feels like batman goes from "we can't trust this guy" to "this guy is our only hope" on a dime, and while I get why, it didn't play out great to me. Needs more character development. (which apparently we're getting in spades)

The death of superman is such a great story, feels like they blew through it way too fast. This should have been like, a trilogy.

E: The last season of Game of Thrones was certainly "challenging" to the audience, but I don't think that was a good thing in itself.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 16, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's good!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

McCloud posted:

That reminds me that you can find the full motion picture score (not just the OST) on youtube

MOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPhBW1NcMRM

BVS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9BL59uiAz8

They are just phenomenally good. A massive - possibly even the biggest - part of why I love these films

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

The probe man. You’re a good poster don’t do this!

Hah, :cheers: but I feel like there's almost no way an Ayer cut gets released that's reworked with Steppenwolf as the big baddie. Believe the shooting script was already reworked to exclude those story beats involving Apokalips stuff prior to principal photography.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zaphod42 posted:

That's true, I remember hearing a trailer house did the final movie edit?

Lmao, are we going to see a "release the Suicide Squad cut" campaign ever? :)

There absolutely is a movement to let Ayer finish his own cut. And it would be a lot easier than Snyder's job of finishing his because all the effects were basically done before it was re-edited.

Studio also heavily interfered in Birds of Prey in a way that made it seem to repeat information way too much and didn't space out the action scenes

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but I feel the same way about BvS :v: I think the Ace death scene is more challenging than "Martha!"

The central issue that brings about the Batman v Superman title-fight is Snyder proposing that Superman would perceive the humanity of, and fight for the civil rights of a sex trafficker against Batman's death sentence. This linchpin of the film was so challenging that people, to this day, are utterly confused why Superman hates Batman so much. Please, let me know of anything that the animated stuff does that approaches this.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 16, 2021

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Zaphod42 just walked in here super soft about the whole thing and is going to end up snyderpilled.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

It's beautiful. Watch it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Martha bit is probably where BvS stops challenging you because it's Batman suddenly realising "I shouldn't be fighting this guy". After that it's pretty much how you might expect a superhero movie climax to go- villain unleashes Ultimate Villain, big fight with Ultimate Villain, at the end Superman sacrifices himself in a big pyrotechnic display, sequel tease, the end. They even gave Superman his little kiss-curl at the end!

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

It's the purest embodiment of fan-service.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hump day bitches! posted:

Zaphod42 just walked in here super soft about the whole thing and is going to end up snyderpilled.

"Come in here looking soft, you get hammered. Soon, you'll have veins popping out in places you've never seen."

Paraphrased from Mark Twight, physical trainer on 300.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hump day bitches! posted:

I'm here to talk about movies, which we all should and talking about things in terms like that is pretty toxic. I know you're joking so not to give you too hard a time, but I think its worth saying.

I am starting to feel I may be surprised by just how good the Snyder cut is, (the AngryJoe review is very positive and I respect him unlike IGN, and he's also still a little critical unlike their non-stop-glowing review) but I'm not about to change my mind on MOS or BvS. I really like Cavil as Superman though and think its a shame how none of this ever quite worked out like the Avengers did.

I'm also very surprised to hear about those changes to Suicide Squad more than JL, that's just wild to me that it had Steppenwolf in it and was fully cut. That's a huge change.

Steppenwolf himself sucks though, I loving love Ciaran Hinds in Rome and GOT and none of his acting really comes through in the CG metal-armor-machine they designed. His model is way too noisy, it reminds me of a Transformers robot where your eyes just don't even know what to focus on.

But I'm definitely willing to give anything at least one viewing and hear out anybody's take on a film, that's fun even if we don't fully agree.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Embrace the Snyder pill

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It was pretty obvious that something was up with Suicide Squad even before talk of the Snyder Cut spooled up. Ayer is a pretty good director overall, and he never made a movie that was as big of a mess as SS.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There's no Steppenwolf cut of Suicide Squad afaik, it's two separate things: there was a detailed plan to have Steppenwolf in Suicide Squad, and Ayer has a full cut with a different tone to the released movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

The central issue that brings about the Batman v Superman title-fight is Snyder proposing that Superman would perceive the humanity of, and fight for the civil rights of a sex trafficker against Batman's death sentence. This linchpin of the film was so challenging that people, to this day, are utterly confused why Superman hates Batman so much. Please, let me know of anything that the animated stuff does that approaches this.

You're saying "challenging" but if the audience is confused then it isn't challenging, its confusing (or bad / contradictory / not well established, like game of thrones last season). If people were really "challenged" by that then they wouldn't be confused; they'd staunchly agree that either Superman was right or Batman was right, which is maybe what they wanted. To have people like Twilight going "#TeamBatman" or "#TeamSuperman" but if the audience reaction is "why?" then that means the film failed to convey something, not that it was just too deep for them to ever handle.

I think you know as well as I do that the comics did explore the angle of "why keep putting villains in jail if the keep breaking out and hurting people?" and some handled it better than others, but taking the consequences of the superheroes seriously isn't really new. It just feels like dabbling in some Watchmen with your DC rather than fully committing to saying something.

Which, I don't expect Snyder to really say anything new with a movie about Batman and Superman; you only have 2 hours, movies are a limited format and that's why so many are so cliched. But I do expect him to take the better stories from the comics and adapt them well. Instead he kinda half did that and half did some other stuff. But again, reserving judgement on JL until I can see the full take. But BvS didn't work for me.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 16, 2021

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You're saying "challenging" but if the audience is confused then it isn't challenging, its confusing. If people were really "challenged" by that then they wouldn't be confused; they'd staunchly agree that either Superman was right or Batman was right, which is maybe what they wanted. To have people like Twilight going "#TeamBatman" or "#TeamSuperman" but if the audience reaction is "why?" then that means the film failed to convey something, not that it was just too deep for them to ever handle.

I think you know as well as I do that the comics did explore the angle of "why keep putting villains in jail if the keep breaking out and hurting people?" and some handled it better than others, but its not groundbreaking. It just feels like dabbling in some Watchmen with your DC rather than fully committing to saying something.

Let's not stray from the point and pontificate on what some imaginary person might think. In the case of the sex trafficker in BvS, who's side are you on, Batman or Superman?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would say David Lynch makes challenging films and often people are confused

It happens.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

McCloud posted:

what is that track at about 6:50? i don't recognize it from any of the osts - is it a custom remix, or am i misremembering? i really love the piano in it. it's most obvious when he throws zod into space.

Embrace the Snyder pill

where's that image of lex putting the snydercut candy in the guy's mouth?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

I think there are a couple of issues with this post:

1) The GIF you're tweeting is completely out of context. In the complete scene, Superman's whole bravado, x1,000 thing entirely backfires on him. It's coming at the end of a series that has constantly portrayed the potential horror of Superman not holding back. Superman's ultimately not doing the right thing there. You're right that there is a bloodlessness to the violence, but you're comparing a scene where Superman is wrong for recklessly punching a monster through buildings and Man of Steel in which Superman's action aren't intended to be viewed as incorrect. It's part of a flaw in Superman's character rooted in the trauma from this scene when Darkseid murders one of Superman's friends, leaving Superman to impotently punch the ground.

2) Do you imagine that everyone who does not like Man of Steel hasn't seen like Se7en or Saving Private Ryan or Game of Thrones or Chinatown or Robocop or John Wick? Like you're right that it's challenging in that it challenges your expectations for Superman, but I think it's disingenuous to present people as not being able to get their mind around violence or flawed heroes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In Man Of Steel Superman's the one who gets punched through buildings. I wonder now if that was a ref to that cartoon

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Since you guys are all super hip to the state of the Snyder-verse, you'd be the perfect people to ask; what's the deal / plans going forward for Flashpoint?

BvS really feels like they were strongly setting that up to be the next plot point. I guess that was supposed to be the big JL movie after League, but now its anybody knows as to what happens next?

KVeezy3 posted:

Let's not stray from the point and pontificate on what some imaginary person might think. In the case of the sex trafficker in BvS, who's side are you on, Batman or Superman?

Why does that matter? Its a false dichotomy and a complicated subject. (If you have the death penalty sex traffickers should probably be the first to qualify) Lets not stray from the point; you were explaining how its so great that the film is still confusing to people. So are you saying that no filmmaker could ever tackle that subject and not have an audience come away saying "That was confusing" ?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Zaphod42 posted:

You're saying "challenging" but if the audience is confused then it isn't challenging, its confusing (or bad / contradictory / not well established like game of thrones last season).

Or it was cut from the theatrical release.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Since you guys are all super hip to the state of the Snyder-verse, you'd be the perfect people to ask; what's the deal / plans going forward for Flashpoint?

BvS really feels like they were strongly setting that up to be the next plot point. I guess that was supposed to be the big JL movie after League, but now its anybody knows as to what happens next?

Why does that matter? Its a false dichotomy and a complicated subject. (If you have the death penalty sex traffickers should probably be the first to qualify) Lets not stray from the point; you were explaining how its so great that the film is still confusing to people. So are you saying that no filmmaker could ever tackle that subject and not have an audience come away saying "That was confusing" ?

It’s supposed to be in the The Flash movie that they have Ben affleck and Michael Keaton lined up for (that Rat Fisher was also fired from)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Or it was cut from the theatrical release.

We're talking about BvS here. JL I'm absolutely going to give a chance seeing the other cut. Or did BvS also get meddled with heavily?

It’s supposed to be in the The Flash movie that they have Ben affleck and Michael Keaton lined up for (that Rat Fisher was also fired from)

With Keaton as the alternate universe Thomas Wayne?! :allears: oh poo poo

Seems wild to blow Flashpoint on a Flash movie and not a full JL squad, but I guess it is pretty centered on him so it can work as long as you get the necessary cameos. I thought Affleck was pretty done with the cape, that's great if he'll be in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea Flash/Flashpoint is a cluster right now. They just officially cast Iris (the woman who was already cast as Iris in Justice League but was cut but is now back in the Snyder cut) and they also cast Supergirl but they got rid of Ray because of his investigation. A year ago it seemed a smart bet that they were doing Flashpoint as a way to reboot some of the stuff that was obviously going to be going away (like Affleck as Batman or Meera leaving) and explain stuff like Joker and new Batman movie, but now all this poo poo seems on flux.