Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Ophidian posted:

I’ve only been buying my favorite sticks and a handful at a time since I smoke so infrequently.

The problem is my favorite sticks haven’t been made in 6-10 years :/

understand. anything out there you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
My favorite regular production cigars (in order).

1. LGC MDO2
2. diplomaticios no 4
3. RASS
4. Bolivar PC
5. R&J short Churchill

The first two aren’t made anymore unfortunately. At least the other three you can get for a moderate price these days.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
LFD Suave was a good Connecticut but nothing special.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Smoked one of the Nub Cameroon 466 box-press torpedo yesterday and honestly it was an excellent smoke. Draw through the figurado tip was perfect for the first half, and then once it got a little wet I used the PerfecDraw once and it was good to the end. Very creamy and fragrant, the burn was excellent and it was just a great smoke. Looking forward to my next one for sure, especially for the price.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

Smoked one of the Nub Cameroon 466 box-press torpedo yesterday and honestly it was an excellent smoke. Draw through the figurado tip was perfect for the first half, and then once it got a little wet I used the PerfecDraw once and it was good to the end. Very creamy and fragrant, the burn was excellent and it was just a great smoke. Looking forward to my next one for sure, especially for the price.

I really love that cigar.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Years ago I used to post in this thread looking for cigar and pipe tobacco recommendations. Since then I've moved to mostly smoking pipe tobacco. Around the time I made this switch, I bought a ton of Frog Morton stuff, which I've been smoking ever since. Today I noticed that I was starting to run low on my favorite blends, notably Frog Morton on the Town but when I went to order some more I learned much to my horror that Frog Morton products have been discontinued for some time now. Do you all know of any blends that are similar to On the Town?

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Giggle Goose posted:

Years ago I used to post in this thread looking for cigar and pipe tobacco recommendations. Since then I've moved to mostly smoking pipe tobacco. Around the time I made this switch, I bought a ton of Frog Morton stuff, which I've been smoking ever since. Today I noticed that I was starting to run low on my favorite blends, notably Frog Morton on the Town but when I went to order some more I learned much to my horror that Frog Morton products have been discontinued for some time now. Do you all know of any blends that are similar to On the Town?

People have been hunting for that since it was announced McClelland was closing shop. Unfortunately to my current knowledge, the answer is smoke what you got.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Giggle Goose posted:

Do you all know of any blends that are similar to On the Town?

On the Town and Cellar are my favorites aside from my 15 year old/new Sherlock’s Choice from my local Tinderbox. I’ve been smoking three times or more a week in the same chair for 16 years now (pre-COVID-19, ofc), and the owner lady is a Goddamn goddess when it comes to sourcing older discontinued or rarer pipe tobacco. Her network is huge because we live in the FedEx national Hub and HQ. She kept me in Dunhill Early Morning Pipe while it disappeared, always at cost + a dram of whatever Scotch in the behind the counter was mine (me and about 7 other regulars brought real quality outstanding Scotch, Bourbon, and rum to go with smokes). She is young, blond, and has a Master’s of Divinity, and we had the exact same taste in everything, so she knew if I liked it enough to share she would like it, too. Anyway she emails me when any FM filters down from Heaven. Still drinks an oz or two of my whiskey as well, even at 10:00 in the morning. On Sunday.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
It really is a shame they closed up shop. Years ago I took a look at the vast amount of tobacco out there and basically settled on Frog Morton stuff as my go to. I've got one full tin of the Cellar mixture and about half of a tin of On the Town left. Not even sure where to even start looking for something of similar quality, even if it isn't similar in taste profile.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
McClelland was my favorite brand hands down. My regular smoke was 5100, and I always kept the innimicable Christmas Cheer around. I like what I smoke now, mostly Rattrays and MacBaren, but every time I open a new tin I find myself missing that old ketchup smell.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

DerekSmartymans posted:

On the Town and Cellar are my favorites aside from my 15 year old/new Sherlock’s Choice from my local Tinderbox. I’ve been smoking three times or more a week in the same chair for 16 years now (pre-COVID-19, ofc), and the owner lady is a Goddamn goddess when it comes to sourcing older discontinued or rarer pipe tobacco. Her network is huge because we live in the FedEx national Hub and HQ. She kept me in Dunhill Early Morning Pipe while it disappeared, always at cost + a dram of whatever Scotch in the behind the counter was mine (me and about 7 other regulars brought real quality outstanding Scotch, Bourbon, and rum to go with smokes). She is young, blond, and has a Master’s of Divinity, and we had the exact same taste in everything, so she knew if I liked it enough to share she would like it, too. Anyway she emails me when any FM filters down from Heaven. Still drinks an oz or two of my whiskey as well, even at 10:00 in the morning. On Sunday.

This is a story I just wanna live in

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think C&D made a Frog Morton-a-like but I can't really remember the name of it, I'll have to google around...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Nexein posted:

Yeah it feels almost a little too much. I love it.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

I found myself daydreaming of finding this Magickal place and becoming a regular. Cherish it, goon.

On another note, I have found myself mostly underwhelmed by RomaCraft thus far, but these little intemperance panatelas are really awesome. I think they're called Humility? Just delightful.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

DerekSmartymans posted:

Like the others in this thread, I am v. jealous!

I have decided to crack into a Shadow King Robusto. It's been nearly two weeks, can't hurt to have a little check in!

The foot smells great - strong cocoa with some cedar. The wrapper smells of dry earth with a little leather. The freshly snipped cap smells of that delicious figgy fermented tobacco flavor. Deep and sweet, but not cloying. Dry pulls are chocolatey with the perfect amount of restriction/looseness. Really threaded that needle great!

Fresh off the light, it's already chocolatey. There's a yummy oak flavor as well, and just a hint of bitterness. Not quite like cacao bitterness. Almost kind of like a fernet hanging out back there. That bitterness has faded for now, and I am occasionally getting some good banana flavors. I was totally surprised! We're about an inch in and the burn line had already corrected from a somewhat wavy intro to very thin, even line. Something vegetal has crept in as well.

Second third, I'm getting more milk chocolate on the regular exhale. I am a mostly retrohale smoker, so I have to remember to do regular puffs. There is a pleasant funk in the back, like the bottom of a leaf pile. It's becoming less volatile over time, settling into that milk chocolate + fermentation flavor for some time now.

In this last third, some good spice developed. Thankfully, the funk has taken a less prominent role - it was getting to be a little too much, and I wonder if more humidor time will alleviate some of that. I'm wrapping up now, and it's really the best of the stick so far - spice, chocolate, and fermented goodness.

Definitely worth having more, although it doesn't have the same "reach for another, c'mon!" factor of some other sticks in the price range I frequent, but maybe that's a good thing hehe

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Ophidian posted:

My favorite regular production cigars (in order).

1. LGC MDO2
2. diplomaticios no 4
3. RASS
4. Bolivar PC
5. R&J short Churchill

The first two aren’t made anymore unfortunately. At least the other three you can get for a moderate price these days.

Occasionally I will come across some diplomaticos's (happen to be one of my wife's favorites) and will keep an eye out for no4......Love Bolivar, well anything by them is usually really good. as for R@J I am a traditionalist and really like the standard Churchill....My goto are H. Upmann Mag 46's for regular production, always have a few boxes ready.

On another note, not sure if you are fmailiar with the website below, but this does keep track of the Cuban brands and cigars being produced. it is updated frequently and useful to identify potential acquisistions.

https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brands

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Believe me, I realize exactly how lucky I am! For the first couple of months of quarantine the entire economy was hosed. It’s worked out personally since the three people I live with are all retired and I’m on disability so the only real problem we’ve had is the eBay business has been down a bit, but not for struggling to make ends meet or anything. Most of my circle at the Tinderbox are all old retired folks with former lucrative jobs (pilots for FedEx, a couple of Secret Service and FBI supervisory agents, and one who literally just buys and sells restaurants to clean up and flip), and the one blessing is that the pandemic hasn’t hit anybody’s wallet very hard because it’s all just getting a predetermined check every month. I’ve also known my store owner since I was in my 30s and she was in high school (her parents owned 4 TB locations in Memphis), and she has always been flirty even as a married woman because she married a man who was blue-collar and kinda shy but has made really good friendships with us older guys.

Since last April we’ve still been getting together with each other at my church to smoke two or three times a week at my church on the back porch. Socially distant, masks worn, etc. My pastor is also there at lunch time and he’s always glad to smoke and drink with us without proselytizing too much (a couple of the guys are atheists or of another faith, and my pastor has told them the Church is mainly for them because Jesus didn’t come to save believers but to lead all men to salvation and hung out with “the sinners” instead of the priests). We have a pretty swell setup with space heaters and tarps hung to block the wind, and the tables we sit at are made for 20 so plenty of room to stay 6’ away.

Believe me, I’m not bragging; these friendships have been close to 15 years old and I’m the one that found the place when it was a single location in the suburb and even the “new” guys have been patrons for 10+ years. I’ve been extremely lucky and am aware of it. Plus I’ve probably paid more for Lynne’s education than her folks did, and that doesn’t even count the regulars that we’ve sat with who can’t get away because of Covid-19. We’re all looking forward to the days we can go back inside, but Lynne has kept the stores open even during lockdown and says a couple of locations have gotten better because of folks in uncertain times buy in bulk.
I am lucky, but I know how fragile it can be. But my pastor says that feasting is Kingdom work, and these guys have all come to family time for me when I’ve been inpatient, which is a blessing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Heads up, automatic 20% off for St. Patrick's day at Famous Smoke. I may have violated my own "No more degeneracy for a while" rule to pick up a box of Padron Panatelas (there were 2 left after I bought mine!) and a 10 box of Alec Bradley Black Market Shamrocks because I've been wanting to try a barber pole and also I'm as susceptible to dumb gimmicks as anyone else.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Any hot recommendations for a St. Patrick's Day candela?

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Yeah, don’t.

You can find Alec Bradley Filthy Hooligan or Shamrock cigars if you want decent but still novelty.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Find an Asylum13 Ogre 8x80 and smoke the same cigar all day

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

ThatOneGuy posted:

Yeah, don’t.

Spicy! I enjoy a candela every once in a while.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Gramps posted:

Find an Asylum13 Ogre 8x80 and smoke the same cigar all day

Thanks!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

If you actually do this you should live post a trip report. I'd imagine that cigar will take at least 3-4 hours to smoke

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I've seen those in some walk-in humidors and it always makes me chuckle. One of these days, I'll get one for a cookout or yard party or something and run that gag into the ground. These days, I'm primarily a pipe smoker, but I moved on the Famous Smoke sale today because I'm tired of looking at my empty humidor and thinking to myself, "someday."

I bought a pound each of Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evening and Haunted Bookshop that I've smoked pretty aggressively over the last month and a half. I enjoy them immensely, but my poor tongue needs a rest. Feels like a piece of smoked jerky right now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Spicy! I enjoy a candela every once in a while.

Do you have any candelas you particularly enjoy?

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I've enjoyed the Arturo Fuente 858 when I've had them. I had an Acid Blondie Green, but it was indistinguishable from the regular Blondie. In general, Acids for me are the sometimes food of cigars. I'm looking for a candela not just because today's St. Patrick's Day, and it's novel, but because I also enjoy mild-bodied, earthy cigars.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I've enjoyed the Arturo Fuente 858 when I've had them. I had an Acid Blondie Green, but it was indistinguishable from the regular Blondie. In general, Acids for me are the sometimes food of cigars. I'm looking for a candela not just because today's St. Patrick's Day, and it's novel, but because I also enjoy mild-bodied, earthy cigars.

If you can find them, Illusione Holy Lance Candela. I don’t see a lot of candela anything outside of novelty or previously mentioned cigars.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

ThatOneGuy posted:

If you can find them, Illusione Holy Lance Candela. I don’t see a lot of candela anything outside of novelty or previously mentioned cigars.

Excellent, thanks!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps posted:

If you actually do this you should live post a trip report. I'd imagine that cigar will take at least 3-4 hours to smoke

After I'm vaccinated and we're doing Habanos meetups again, I will be purchasing the La Aurora Hors d'Ages Stravaganza, which is 20" x 80.

I'm extremely loving amped.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Thanks for the candela reccos! I've been interested in trying one since I started but mostly they seem like gag cigars anymore. I like grassy and earthy flavors, so I'll keep some of those in mind.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
My local spot didn't have any candelas, but my usual tobacconists usually have at least a few. After everyone's vaccinated, maybe we Chicago goons can meet up at UpDown or Iwan Ries for a candela tasting.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hahaha holy poo poo I didn't know there was a Chicago goon cigar contingent. Up Down whips and we've done several HERFs up at Big Mike's in Skokie because Phil (co owner of Up Down) is a big Habanos fan. Getting on the itty bitty litty committee at the workplace may not always be the best 😹

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I've noticed a couple people in this thread mention Chicago, so I took a guess at it. Let's make it happen!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just smoked an El Rey del Mundo Demitasse and it was beautiful. Perfect little short smoke, lots of that habano twang, and solid construction. That's definitely a re-order someday (someday some time from now).

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
ERDM cigars have pretty much the most pleasant flavor of any Cuban I’ve ever smoked. The Cuban regionals I blew through were exceptionally tasty.

The Choix Supreme are the best morning smoke if you have some extra time and I really should find some.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Finally placed a Habanos order. My stimmy hasn't been scheduled yet, so I haven't picked up any RASS, but I think 50 Bolivar PCs will be a perfectly adequate substitute :v:

Also snagged 50 Jose L Piedra Cazadores, at $75 you can't say no! Also picked up a deal for 50 Partagas Shorts.

Hopefully Montefortuna shipping doesn't suck. I did splash out all $11 for expedited, so I don't think I'll be that mad if it takes a bit.

E: looking forward to sharing some on the box pass! Sign up if you can ♥️

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 18, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I are in the dungeon again trying the Ashton VSG. Last time was underwhelming but they were from a terrible humidor. Much better this go round already. Smooth, dark fruit, and just all around nice so far.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That one's been on my radar for a bit. It's going to have to stay on the radar for a bit more though, because I've formed a pact with my coworker. We've both been making very excessive purchases lately – cigars for me, ceramics for her – and we've sworn to keep each other honest and not buy anymore until Q3, i.e. July. Luckily my last package of degeneracy arrived today.

I'm incredibly excited about the Padron panatelas, which haven't been easy to find in stock in my experience. They're long and elegant, and look perfect. Also, with being able to use the 20% off code I got these for under $5/stick, which is great. I'm also genuinely intrigued by the Shamrocks, since Halfwheel gave it a fairly decent review, although since it was Charlie Minato he mentioned, among other things, "pink salt" and "water chestnut". Honestly, I don't mind elaborate flavor reviews like that as something of a literary exercise, but it can get very funny.

In any case, I didn't clear this buy with my buddies (it was very spur-of-the-moment), but I'm going to surprise them with it tomorrow. I think they'll be pleased. A small group of us is actually having a bit of a camp-out on my mom's property this weekend, to sort of celebrate (?) a year of COVID-19 lockdowns. Many cigars will be smoked, I'm sure. I'll post pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Pulling a GrampsTM with my posting, I've decided to pop out for a quick smoke since the rains have stopped. I know it's not a fancy brand at all, but the Macanudo Cafes hit just fine for something quick and inexpensive. Nice and sweet and easy-smoking.