Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Is his name still Spike Spiegel and if so will they explain why an Asian guy's name is Spiegel

His mother was an artificial gravity machine aboard a spaceship with a hyperdrive, and his dad was a guy named Spiegel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
New ep of Hangin' With Dr. Z

https://youtu.be/JlLeRta3X6c

Seriously Amazon or Netflix needs to pick this up so bad

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He's actually Spike Sméagol but those jerks on Ellis Island decided it was too hard to spell

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What's a show you're mad I'm not watching?

(I am watching The Expanse and did watch Warrior)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Resident Alien.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

VagueRant posted:

Hangin' with Dr. Z
Good Girls
Servant?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Amazon has both a Lord of the Rings and a Wheel of Time series coming out this year. Seems a bit odd that they haven't released anything on either of them, seeing how it's already spring. You'd think that they would put as much space as possible between them to not cannibalize each others hype, in which case they should probably get on it.

Or maybe one of them is bumped til next year and it just hasn't been announced. A black box strategy of production and even premise feels very risky for LotR especially.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goddamn someone high up in Netflex is really into anime

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

His mother was an artificial gravity machine aboard a spaceship with a hyperdrive, and his dad was a guy named Spiegel.

Sounds more like Space Dandy.

Everyone, watch Space Dandy

E:

VagueRant posted:

Wayne. Also bc maybe more viewers will get it renewed

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shageletic posted:

Is that about Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne?

aka DJ Slizzard

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Sounds more like Space Dandy.

Everyone, watch Space Dandy

:hai: on both! Wayne is especially fantastic

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

Amazon has both a Lord of the Rings and a Wheel of Time series coming out this year. Seems a bit odd that they haven't released anything on either of them, seeing how it's already spring. You'd think that they would put as much space as possible between them to not cannibalize each others hype, in which case they should probably get on it.

Or maybe one of them is bumped til next year and it just hasn't been announced. A black box strategy of production and even premise feels very risky for LotR especially.

This all makes total sense because you can basically just shoot the first WoT book immediately after the sets and costumes are done with filming LotR.

I joke, but I do hope it's decent. WoT that is, I don't really think LotR needs to be remade.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Is that about Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne?

aka DJ Slizzard

Good ref but also watch Wayne

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

This all makes total sense because you can basically just shoot the first WoT book immediately after the sets and costumes are done with filming LotR.

I joke, but I do hope it's decent. WoT that is, I don't really think LotR needs to be remade.

The LotR series is set an age before the trilogy, so at least it's not material we've seen on screen before. Rumor has it that it revolves around the forging of all the magic rings. I just wish it had more established talent behind the scenes so we could have a guage as to what kind of show it's going to be. I can't imagine it won't just ape the Jackson movies.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well if they're doing The Silmarillion they really should call it that, but I know they won't.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

IRQ posted:

Well if they're doing The Silmarillion they really should call it that, but I know they won't.

If I remember right, they're not actually allowed to use The Silmarillion or anything of Tolkien's from anything other than Lord of the Rings, but also can't contradict any of his non-LOTR stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Isn't there some weird Tolkien estate rights situation where they can set it in Middle-Earth, but they can't use any established characters or stories for adaptation? So it can't be about the ring forging, I think. I'm sure they will find some way to finagle it in there regardless.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's going to take place a thousand years before the LOTR movies but everything will look and sound the same

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's going to take place a thousand years before the LOTR movies but everything will look and sound the same

Everyone knows that fantasy worlds don't ever have technological advances.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Everyone knows that fantasy worlds don't ever have technological advances.

I really like Brandon Sanderson for not doing that with Mistborn. The first trilogy was typical fantasy technology but the second one is full on industrial revolution

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Or the Fable video games, where you follow a typical fantasy realm from the medieval period into the industrial revolution over the course of the three games.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really like Brandon Sanderson for not doing that with Mistborn. The first trilogy was typical fantasy technology but the second one is full on industrial revolution

Mistborn also had a bad guy who was purposefully keeping technological advances in check by banning stuff.

Speaking of fantasy TV, NK Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy is being developed as a TV series. The first book, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, takes place in a world with a continent spanning empire that rules because they literally have God on their side. The main character is a young woman who is summoned to the capitol where she learns that she is the granddaughter of the current emperor and has been named his new heir (which is a problem for the other two people who were also heirs.)

Doing the trilogy as a TV series will be kind of weird though as the books span hundreds of years and the main character from the first book doesn't really figure into the later two. Also I'll believe it will happen when it actually airs as Broken Earth was also supposed to get a TV series but that hasn't happened yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently Colbert spouted off what he thinks the Amazon series should be to an Amazon exec and they clammed up and walked away from him.

https://youtu.be/aoWzGYNyPPY

He either hit the nail on the head or made the guy realize they made a grave mistake attempting it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Colbert spouted off what he thinks the Amazon series should be to an Amazon exec and they clammed up and walked away from him.

https://youtu.be/aoWzGYNyPPY

He either hit the nail on the head or made the guy realize they made a grave mistake attempting it.

If Amazon does some dumb live reaction show after each ep for their LotR series and does not get Colbert as the host, they have hosed up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Colbert is slowly turning into Bruce Campbell

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sirotan posted:

If Amazon does some dumb live reaction show after each ep for their LotR series and does not get Colbert as the host, they have hosed up.

I dont know, sometimes I see the host and guests of a show that eventually turns into a trash fire and I can't think of a more horrific torture

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Shageletic posted:

I dont know, sometimes I see the host and guests of a show that eventually turns into a trash fire and I can't think of a more horrific torture

The Expanse did a good job, and while it wasn't an atual show, The Good Place podcast that came out after each episode (hostrd by Marc Evan Jackson, he plays Sean) was really good. Get a good host and it is fun, and I bet Colbert would knock it out of the park.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

As long as Chris Hardwick is nowhere near it these aftershows can be tolerable

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've seen his standup live. It was fun. That's my story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IRQ posted:

I feel like I should know the reference, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RIP Yaphet Kotto. Lt. Giardello was one of the best ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkcqtLIxZCg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sleeveless has been put on 100k hours of probation on all his alts, we're finally free ;_;

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Sleeveless has been put on 100k hours of probation on all his alts, we're finally free ;_;

Ha ha gently caress off Sleeveless!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

I've seen his standup live. It was fun. That's my story.

I went to a taping of the Report, and when an audience member asked him about Tolkien he just absolutely lit up with happiness.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

RIP Yaphet Kotto. Lt. Giardello was one of the best ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkcqtLIxZCg

He was one of the greats. One of many incredibly talented poc actors that I wish had been given more and bigger roles. But I'm still thankful for what we got.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dude, I just watched the quarantine episode of Raven's Quest, and where has Rob Mcelhenney been hiding this kind of talent?

I've always thought of him as being the weakest of the Sunny cast, but Raven's Quest is genuinely turning into a fantastic sitcom.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm an idiot so I really got into the episode and thought the hug was the actual actor

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dude, I just watched the quarantine episode of Raven's Quest, and where has Rob Mcelhenney been hiding this kind of talent?

I've always thought of him as being the weakest of the Sunny cast, but Raven's Quest is genuinely turning into a fantastic sitcom.

Dude, Rob is amazing. Have you not seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPG4eD4Dfx0

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/YeahStill/status/1371680632120569857

The ladmag/Maddox cultural era was a strange time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
drat, watched all of the Beavis & Butthead revival from '11 in one sitting. need to find another comedy to watch now :mad: