Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like there's still one or two a season, ignoring quality/if they're just selling trucks to kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maybe it’s fair to say there hasn’t been a good one in a real long while. We had lots of fun mecha shows in the 00s, some huge ones really too like ttgl and code geass. It’s just my bias but while we do get shows there hasn’t been a big breakout, and a loooot of shows with potential that took a fat poo poo. Star driver, aldnoah zero, valvrave. The best mech stuff has been remakes and sequels (rebuild, gundam).

I’m sure something will come out that breaks the streak but I can see feeling a bit bittersweet when watching ttgl, what should have been a start and not a swan song (and gainax disintegrating just a couple years later, yeesh)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
granbelm was super recent and was a fairly unique take with some cool aesthetics and character writing, rinne no lagrange was much earlier in the 2010s and had some kinda lame jokes but was pretty solid overall, cross ange has a very messy first few eps and its main romance stuff is a bit weak but at its core it's a pretty fun ride with a great cast, if you wanna count gridman it totally outshines franxx among trigger shows, and planet with was one of the coolest things satoshi mizukami's written in a while. it's not booming but i'm not at a complete loss of mecha anime from the last decade i can say i enjoyed about as much as the classics. none of them had mecha action spectacle on par with ttgl but what the gently caress does, ttgl was an animation superteam showcase

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Maybe it’s fair to say there hasn’t been a good one in a real long while. We had lots of fun mecha shows in the 00s, some huge ones really too like ttgl and code geass. It’s just my bias but while we do get shows there hasn’t been a big breakout, and a loooot of shows with potential that took a fat poo poo. Star driver, aldnoah zero, valvrave. The best mech stuff has been remakes and sequels (rebuild, gundam).
i mean, ibo isnt a sequel really, i guess its part of a franchise but its very different from any previous gundam series and got a very young fanbase who hadnt seen any other gundam series before it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gridman and planet with are two of my fav mecha series and they're less than 3 years old so i feel crazy whenever people talk about there not having been a good one in ages. those were the ones imo

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I haven't heard of planet. Does Gridman get better? I saw people saying good things and remember literally nothing about the two episodes I watched.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the first two eps are pretty bogstandard, it gets more interesting/exploratory as it goes. planet with is very fun but its also a mile a minute since its trying to cram a lot into 13 eps. not in a bad way, just a thing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

i mean, ibo isnt a sequel really, i guess its part of a franchise but its very different from any previous gundam series and got a very young fanbase who hadnt seen any other gundam series before it.

I didn't say it was bad or anything, just that it's part of a franchise.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

planet with is very fun but its also a mile a minute since its trying to cram a lot into 13 eps. not in a bad way, just a thing.

I tend to like shorter series for that reason so maybe I'll check it out.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of new mecha:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-03-16/sunrise-beyond-bandai-spirits-unveil-kyokai-senki-project-with-fall-tv-anime/.170670

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What's the go to manga reader of choice while mangadex is busy unexploding

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

My bookshelf.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A fair number of groups are posting in /r/manga.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

https://mangakakalot.com

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

My bookshelf.

What manga do you recommend from your bookshelf

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nipponophile posted:

My bookshelf.

It's time to plan the heist of the century...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Our bookshelf

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

I have uh some Dan Brown my ex-housemate left and tried to pretend they weren't his

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I have uh some Dan Brown my ex-housemate left and tried to pretend they weren't his

Lmfao

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The person who lived in my last house before me had a package delivered there like months after I moved in and I repeatedly tried contacting them about it. I even matched with them on Tinder and asked them if they wanted their drat package and then they ghosted me. Turns out it was this
https://www.amazon.com/Neoliberalism-Introduction-Manfred-B-Steger/dp/019956051X

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I even matched with them on Tinder and asked them if they wanted their drat package
that your usual starting line or

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Lmfao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Endorph posted:

:thurman:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

If I had to pick something, I'd probably start a 20th Century Boys re-read. I haven't been through it in years now.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
whats a good anime if i want to see a lot of different powers and people getting more powerful

Hunter x Hunter was my last anime and I've also watched My Hero Academia but my overall watch list is miniscule

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aardvark! posted:

whats a good anime if i want to see a lot of different powers and people getting more powerful

Hunter x Hunter was my last anime and I've also watched My Hero Academia but my overall watch list is miniscule

Fire Force is well worth a watch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

Bleach but it falls off pretty meh after season 1 or 2 imo.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You might check out Bungo Stray Dogs, it's more on the "lots of different powers" side since every character has a unique ability tied to the author they're based on and the designs are all pretty fun. It's more of an ensemble show with established characters in their prime rather than having a singular main character getting power-ups but the primary audience POV character does get stronger as the story progresses.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

I'd recommend checking out the currently airing jujutsu kaisen

Jojo somewhat fits too

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bungo has a guy whose power is that he’s immune to bombs, but only if they’re lemon-shaped.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think I'm going to try Bungo first. Thanks for the reccs :hai:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Strange Quark posted:

Bungo has a guy whose power is that he’s immune to bombs, but only if they’re lemon-shaped.

That's oddly specific.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are some anime with fights as well done as the ones in jujutsu kaisen? With it ending soon I'll really be hurting for those sick anime fights

Honestly I kinda wish I had a list of all the "animation showcase" animes in general. Sometimes I just really want to appreciate some well done animation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

What are some anime with fights as well done as the ones in jujutsu kaisen? With it ending soon I'll really be hurting for those sick anime fights
one punch man season 1 has insanely well animated fights tho the whole gag is how strong the protagonist is so it might lack some stakes for you. they look sick as hell tho

god of high school has a loto f the same staff including the same director tho sadly that shows writing is pretty bad so its only really worth it if just animation alone can sell stuff for you

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

hiddenriverninja posted:

That's oddly specific.

yes thats the joke

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hiddenriverninja posted:

That's oddly specific.

It's in case he has to fight Megaman

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

Honestly I kinda wish I had a list of all the "animation showcase" animes in general. Sometimes I just really want to appreciate some well done animation

i don't give blanket recommendations of Fire Force usually, because it has a character whose sole purpose is to be the butt of sexual harassment jokes and it just sucks the life out of every scene she's in. like even just beyond being kind of offensive they'll drop that poo poo into 100% deadly serious scenes and undercut the mood completely

but it's really well-animated

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
tbf they give that some resolution and move on from it

at the end of s2 lol

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm thinking of binging one of those big animes like Ghost in the Shell, Naruto, Big-O, some sort of Gundam, or One Piece, because I have so much free time now, and absolutely nothing to watch while i play video games.

Which would be best for me?

My favorite Anime is Mononoke (not the ghibli movie)

These I've really enjoyed:

Black Lagoon
Dragonball Z
Yuyu hakusho
Jo Jo (with the season with extremely rude JoJo being my favorite.)
Hellsing was really cool when I was 13
The Dub of Ghost Stories
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Neuro: Supernatural Detective
The 7 Deadly Sins
The Devil is a part timer
That robot one on netflix with the shapeshifting coin operated car
Carol & Tuesday

Boba Pearl posted:

OH it has to be dubbed too. Still Hunter x Hunter?

Ok so I finished Hunter x Hunter or at least all the dubbed episodes, and I realize I didn't have as much free time as I thought, lol it took me a year to watch everything. (There were breaks for always sunny, archer, MH:A and a few others,) do you guys / gals / pals have any other good suggestions now that I'm done with that one?

I really, really liked Hunter x Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Boba Pearl posted:

Ok so I finished Hunter x Hunter or at least all the dubbed episodes, and I realize I didn't have as much free time as I thought, lol it took me a year to watch everything. (There were breaks for always sunny, archer, MH:A and a few others,) do you guys / gals / pals have any other good suggestions now that I'm done with that one?

I really, really liked Hunter x Hunter

If you don't mind something much shorter this time around, but still very fun and well-dubbed then my vote goes to Baccano!