Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Incredibly Melodramatic, convoluted and kind of stupid plans to achieve power and position has been AFO's entire deal since he first appeared.

The early plan of "make very big gang" seems like a very straightforward approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why does All For One want One For All again?

Why would he not? The last guy who had it almost killed him. Twice. Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to get out of your adversaries' hands.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It was either some major circuitous plan to create One For All and then take it later, or serendipity that OFA formed within his brother. It could be either- the latter works too because I could imagine AFO realizing after his brother died that "wait, I can kinda sense him somehow still?" and kinda putting the pieces together that he could transfer his quirk- a person's individuality is tied to their quirk factor- etc. I could see him wanting it even if he didn't know it'd probably power him and his collected quirks up just out of curiosity. Or maybe he still feels some attachment to his little brother.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Of course Deku wants to save Shigaraki. His inspiration is All Might who is anime Superman and not just in the "Stongest / Most Important" way that a lot of Superman expys are. He's Superman in the inspirational, hope for a better future way. If Deku is the successor (and by extension, improved version of) All Might, it's kind of essential that he takes that to the next level.

We saw with Gentle that he managed to resolve that situation without just punching his kidneys out. Quirk society and the justice system is hosed and a "symbol of peace" didn't last beyond the man himself. It was just a matter of time until a Shigaraki appeared.

I'm glad MHA seems to be going in this kind of direction, I'm interested if Horikoshi will be able to pull it off. One of my favourite chapters in a while.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I guess Shiggy could survive and like, be held in the same fashion their holding Gigantomachia or something.

What was that, medically induced coma until they can convince someone to let them shoot him with a missle?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Vigilanties is helped tremendously by having a main character with a personality and a supporting cast that isn't overshadowed so often.

Could have done without the "We make the guys who literally attempted to gang rape a teenage girl and broadcast it on the internet into good guys" thing though.

Agreed on the second part. They could probably have avoided that if they picked other ex-villains to help in this arc instead.

Another thing Vigilantes could do without is having an ending where college-age Koichi and high schooler-Pop become a couple. Just end it with them being good friends or like close siblings.

Fabricated posted:

I think Koichi's quirk slowly turning out to be insanely good is supposed to kinda underscore the tragedy that this kid didn't become a hero because of a coincidence his mom kept slapping him while he was a baby whenever he tried to use his quirk (instead of seeking help from child quirk experts on how to deal with a floating baby), and kept putting down Koichi's dream to be a pro hero while he was growing up and destroying his self-confidence in the process. He's a bit too soft-hearted of a dork though even in comparison to Deku I think to really have "the edge" that'd make him a proper All Might/Deku level hero which is probably good, because look at what happens to THOSE guys.

Fixed that for you.

Endeavor's a piece of poo poo dad, but Koichi's mom is arguably worse.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

amigolupus posted:

Agreed on the second part. They could probably have avoided that if they picked other ex-villains to help in this arc instead.

Another thing Vigilantes could do without is having an ending where college-age Koichi and high schooler-Pop become a couple. Just end it with them being good friends or like close siblings.

Fixed that for you.

Endeavor's a piece of poo poo dad, but Koichi's mom is arguably worse.
There's still a reasonable chance he still would've missed his hero school test while saving grade-school Pop Step.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All for One explicitly said that he wanted One for All because it was the one Quirk that didn't do what he told it to. He's never had a problem with a Quirk before and OfA is the one he did AND it's become the thorn in his side.

He also didn't have any plan for it. Remember that when he gave it to his Brother as far as he knew his brother was Quirkless and was just giving him super strength. It was only once he got it that they discovered that his brother *did* have a Quirk, the ability to pass Quirks on to other. The two combined to create the One-for-All that exists now.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 15, 2021

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

ImpAtom posted:

All for One explicitly said that he wanted One for All because it was the one Quirk that didn't do what he told it to. He's never had a problem with a Quirk before and OfA is the one he did AND it's become the thorn in his side.

He also didn't have any plan for it. Remember that when he gave it to his Brother as far as he knew his brother was Quirkless and was just giving him super strength. It was only once he got it that they discovered that his brother *did* have a Quirk, the ability to pass Quirks on to other. The two combined to create the One-for-All that exists now.

It was more of an ironic gently caress you than super strength. It was the useless ability to slowly stockpile strength. Jokes on him, that's actually extremely good when combined with a quirk with the useless ability to transfer itself.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Clearly Shigaraki needs to hookup with someone in the class and prove that he the world's greatest boyfriend.

In order to do this right he’s going to need to break up an existing relationship and reduce the other half to joke character status. So rip, uh... *looks at list* Kirishima

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 15, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Reformed Shigaraki bums on Uraraka's couch, we next see him wearing a BAD MAN shirt.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Considering that Shigaraki was abused and groomed from childhood to be a super villain I’m glad Deku is at least going with the intention of saving him, even if it’s not clear what that might look like or if it’s possible.

It would be way more problematic imo if his response had been “yeah, we better put him down like a rabid dog”

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

christmas boots posted:

Considering that Shigaraki was abused and groomed from childhood to be a super villain I’m glad Deku is at least going with the intention of saving him, even if it’s not clear what that might look like or if it’s possible.

It would be way more problematic imo if his response had been “yeah, we better put him down like a rabid dog”

Yes, and in fact I think this is the best possible answer they were looking for.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
All Might is so powerful, he became an Obi-Wan Force ghost without having to die first

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shigaraki is like Harley Quinn in that they are both victims of another villain but that manifests in them creating victims of their own. It's a hard tightrope to walk for a writer since you have to acknowledge that they are a product of grooming and abuse. However it comes off bad (at least to me) if you treat these main character villains as redeemable while all the nameless mooks and civilians they killed are not giving that opportunity to be saved. It also gets back to the point made earlier where anyone truly saved would look back at their awful actions and have crippling PTSD. Shigaraki's direct body count at this point is huge and even more if he is responsible for the destabilized society.

I think it makes sense to expect a sort of Vader style redemption where Shigaraki solves this contradiction by sacrificing himself to stop All For One. I'm wondering how Deku factors into that since I don't think he'll be able to convince Shigaraki he's been wrong with talking and punching alone.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 15, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think "Shigaraki sacrifices himself to stop AfO" is almost the only "save Shigaraki" that makes any sense at this point. I can't see a world where anyone besides Deku would accept a "reformed" Shigaraki given the sheer number of people he's brutally murdered, and "throwing him in superjail in a magic straitjacket to rot forever sitting in the middle of a room, even if he has an epiphany and goes willingly" hardly counts as "being saved".

The only other solution I can think of, given the plot points we have right now, is Eri gains sufficient control over her powers to rewind Shigaraki into a baby or something.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Kanos posted:

The only other solution I can think of, given the plot points we have right now, is Eri gains sufficient control over her powers to rewind Shigaraki into a baby or something.

And then Deku raises little Tenko as his own son and becomes the greatest hero of all: a good parent.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Kanos posted:

I've been of the opinion that reversing Shigaraki to when he was a little boy before his powers manifested was probably how this was going to end. That being said the author does like to just introduce characters because he finds them cool and not do anything with them. I don't really mind that. I prefer a rich setting against a tight narrative, always more fun to imagine what could be than pick over what is.

It would have made it bloated but I was surprised the kids that passed the licensing exam from the other schools didn't show up in the PLF arc. Could have had the same outcome, just with more faces. Just stuck to the UA students.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhonne posted:

And then Deku raises little Tenko as his own son and becomes the greatest hero of all: a good parent.

This is basically just the ending to Chainsawman.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
idk guys having an evil character be redeemed by showing them familial compassion right after their master reveals they are just using them to assert their own power feels out of place in a series that's full of star wars references

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Now I'm wondering about these Dad For One theories...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It'll turn out that its not really Decay and he absorbs their essence and he is actually just Pain and he revives everyone he murdered.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Assuming AFO is removed from Shiggy at some point, there's a fairly easy way to effectively depower him of his Decay quirk. Just get Aizawa to cut off a finger or two!

...though let's face it, if AFO leaves Shiggy he's probably taking Decay with him.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Kild posted:

It'll turn out that its not really Decay and he absorbs their essence and he is actually just Pain and he revives everyone he murdered.

The last chapter will introduce a new character with quirk: dragonball, can do anything a shenron can do, but better! for the mass revival and stakes reset

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ryaomon posted:

idk guys having an evil character be redeemed by showing them familial compassion right after their master reveals they are just using them to assert their own power feels out of place in a series that's full of star wars references

No one has missed this. This is what the "Shigaraki redeems himself by sacrificing himself to stop AfO" line of thinking is, since, you know, Star Wars.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, Shigaraki’s still killed less innocent people than Vegeta.

hell he's killed less people than bill gates

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Electric Phantasm posted:

Official translation is out

Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-305/chapter/22204?action=read

MangaPlus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008928

Interesting that it seems like the two past holders that were facing the wall are doing it because they aren't vibing with Midoriya

Both of them have said 'gently caress' at least once, and thus are incompatible with Deku.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's going be something totally lame like they're both huge dorks and wanted to seem cool, silent, and mysterious until it was their time to present.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

christmas boots posted:

It's going be something totally lame like they're both huge dorks and wanted to seem cool, silent, and mysterious until it was their time to present.

If the quirk dimensions best option for doing that is staring sullenly at a wall like you just got punished for calling another kid a sore head then Deku should pull the plug on his own life support and end the grey purgatory that is his predecessors existence.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Caidin posted:

If the quirk dimensions best option for doing that is staring sullenly at a wall like you just got punished for calling another kid a sore head then Deku should pull the plug on his own life support and end the grey purgatory that is his predecessors existence.

The quirk dimension probably has lots of ways. I think they, specifically, might be uncool.

E: Or just really shy

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jassa posted:

Assuming AFO is removed from Shiggy at some point, there's a fairly easy way to effectively depower him of his Decay quirk. Just get Aizawa to cut off a finger or two!

...though let's face it, if AFO leaves Shiggy he's probably taking Decay with him.

You're not the first person to suggest this, but in MVA Shiggy actually used a weakened Decay on Re-Destro with the hand the latter plucked a couple fingers off of. Unless I'm misremembering that at least. So that wouldn't work, beyond taking Decay from "city-destroying" to just a pretty nasty quirk (and making it easier to accidentally activate) I suppose.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I'm still wondering if we'll actually get to see the two, or if we're going to cut away to something else and only flashback back to this conversation once their quirks manifest?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Honestly I kinda want to skip ahead to more societal breakdown and seeing if the school is even going to stay open or something.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Caidin posted:

Honestly I kinda want to skip ahead to more societal breakdown and seeing if the school is even going to stay open or something.

Just as a hypothetical, let's say the school actually closes in response to the crisis and the cast of students slims down to just the ones dedicated enough to keep going (or at least not disappear from the stage altogether). Who do you think that'd end up being?

Ochaco Todoroki, Bakugo, and Iida will all obviously stay involved. It's also hard to imagine Tsuyu and Kirishima not sticking around. After that, it's kind of just down to how big the cast would be, from a third of the class up to the full complement.

It's not even just about taking the excuse to cut some minor background characters, but rather if there's any major disruption to the school then it creates a need to buy the students back into the plot, and with the pace of events it's just hard to imagine the story taking much time to tell us why Koda's decided to go rogue.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 16, 2021

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
It seems to me like UA is the last remaining pillar of the old Hero Society in Japan. It's the last fortress of hope in a churning sea of chaos. It pretty much has to be AFO/Tomura's next target because if it, the pro heroes and especially the cream of the crop hero trainees falls, it will symbolize the end of Japan's Hero System and crush any remaining hope of restoration of the old comfortable status quo in the populace's collective psyche. Nowhere would ever be safe for heroes again in Japan, it would be a total open season free-for-all.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Dolash posted:

Just as a hypothetical, let's say the school actually closes in response to the crisis and the cast of students slims down to just the ones dedicated enough to keep going (or at least not disappear from the stage altogether). Who do you think that'd end up being?

Ochaco Todoroki, Bakugo, and Iida will all obviously stay involved. It's also hard to imagine Tsuyu and Kirishima not sticking around. After that, it's kind of just down to how big the cast would be, from a third of the class up to the full complement.

It's not even just about taking the excuse to cut some minor background characters, but rather if there's any major disruption to the school then it creates a need to buy the students back into the plot, and with the pace of events it's just hard to imagine the story taking much time to tell us why Koda's decided to go rogue.

This is Mineta’s time to shine I can feel it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

It seems to me like UA is the last remaining pillar of the old Hero Society in Japan. It's the last fortress of hope in a churning sea of chaos. It pretty much has to be AFO/Tomura's next target because if it, the pro heroes and especially the cream of the crop hero trainees falls, it will symbolize the end of Japan's Hero System and crush any remaining hope of restoration of the old comfortable status quo in the populace's collective psyche. Nowhere would ever be safe for heroes again in Japan, it would be a total open season free-for-all.

Horikoshi is basically re-writing the Harry Potter series.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

serious gaylord posted:

Horikoshi is basically re-writing the Harry Potter series.

On that front, I wonder if the Public Safety Commission will try to keep OFA under wraps, or seize onto it and try to push Deku into the spotlight to be the new Symbol.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I just hope this is going somewhere, anywhere, other than "Not having an All Might is causing this problem so Deku fixes it by being All Might."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mystic Mongol posted:

I just hope this is going somewhere, anywhere, other than "Not having an All Might is causing this problem so Deku fixes it by being All Might."

The chapter before last blew that up. One For All can’t be passed down anymore.