Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah very true, which makes the "Apologize for Attack" mod another necessary QoL addon.

Right, so, is there a list of such mods I should go ahead and install before I even start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Flak is an Argon-specific weapon. IIRC every faction has at least one specific weapon.

The FRF actually has a Split version of flak too which exchanges slower turn rate for higher damage and fire rate. Handy to know about since I think it's the one piece of Split equipment the FRF has that the ZYA doesn't (besides the couple of unique S/M ships of course).

BMan posted:

Right, so, is there a list of such mods I should go ahead and install before I even start?

Honestly the game is pretty robust. Most mod recommendations are going to be either larger overhauls or a matter of personal taste in terms of tweaking the things you find annoying or tedious after coming to grips with the game. One person's QoL improvement is another's shortcut/cheat, and I know most stuff in my mod list would fall in the latter category for a number of people. Even the apologize for attack mod is very easy to abuse in situations it's not really meant for.

I think it's appropriate to get your feet wet in vanilla first and then browse Nexus + Steam workshop later when you know better what you're looking for.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

star wars mod. its insane how good it is.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

BMan posted:

Of all my saves with a ton of mods the Apologize for Attack one is the only addon I would say is almost necessary; the flak cannons and AI captains controlling your ships will very frequently hit friendlies and it really sucks.

Also mods don’t disable achievements (but disable ventures which is about to be disabled anyways in the unmodddd game).

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

BMan posted:

god drat it I swore off egosoft after rebirth, buuuuut this sale is looking pretty good

Everything bad in Rebirth is now good in X4.

From my 10 hours so far playthrough in Rebirth I'm surprised at how many features in X4 were actually introduced here. It's just they're badly presented and hidden behind a terrible UI and aren't fully expanded upon like they are in X4. I think my big problem with Rebirth though is how sucky the highway loops are, it's crazy they don't have two lanes going opposite directions. And the zones feel so cramped, I much prefer the expanse of the average X4 sector with dozens of stations in it.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 15, 2021

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
despite my gripes with the lighting (the front of a fighter flying a foot behind a giant spaceship engine can be totally unlit. what?) I got this game and it's pretty fun, although like other x games it takes only a few minutes of playing to realize egosoft doesn't playtest it at all. for example the very first mission has a progress-stopping bug that was first reported in 2018.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What sale is this? I haven't seen it on discount on steam.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

What sale is this? I haven't seen it on discount on steam.

Greenmangaming. https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/x4-foundations-collectors-edition-pc/

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Somewhat ironically Flak is actually better against large ships than small ships. The explosions will strike hull *and* all subsystems in an area, like rockets and torpedoes.

IIRC they added a degree of reasonable FF forgiveness in vanilla. I am not sure which patch but I haven't had any noticeable issue with it in a while and I play all vanilla.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm also unreasonably disappointed that using the external camera for other ships doesn't show a telescope view from your perspective. That was always really fun and useful in x3.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thank you whoever decided to fix the thread tag.

Also I am quite surprised that the moon in memory of profit is apparently a terraforming candidate, given that you could piss out the airlock and hit the thing it's going to be curious seeing how detailed they make the changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1JaQ5ae7E4

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

last patch before release tomorrow i imagine.

[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed mining ships with low-skilled crews picking up empty asteroid chunks.
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed player ship warping when flying relative to object with dock permission as it enters gate.
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed drones or ammunition sometimes not being constructed from available cargo while there are trade deals to buy at least one relevant ware.
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed rare case where venture dock would appear as if venture was running even though ship already returned (problem introduced in 4.00).
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed automatic storage allocation not using available cargo space efficiently (problem introduced in 4.00).
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed Coordinate Attack sometimes spreading ships out over a very large distance in preparation to attack (new feature in 4.00).
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed not being able to complete terraforming in Frontier Edge due to air pressure increase (new feature in 4.00).
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed search in software section of Ship Configuration menu (problem introduced in 4.00).
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed planet population after terraforming Memory of Profit being applied to wrong sector (new feature in 4.00).
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed Terraforming menu not working under certain circumstances (new feature 4.00).
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed message cutscenes continuing to play in background when selecting another message or menu tab.
[Beta 11 HF3] Fixed several causes of crashes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think I read a random post on reddit that once you're done terraforming you can then use the planet to train your pilots up to 5 stars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think one of the patch notes mentioned training in relation to terraforming, it would be nice, honestly, if they had some actually good rewards for doing it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Thom12255 posted:

I think I read a random post on reddit that once you're done terraforming you can then use the planet to train your pilots up to 5 stars.

Terraforming a whole fuckin planet just to put a school on it.

EDIT: But yes, Terraforming does apparently lead to the ability to group-train pilots up to 4 stars, and individually-train them up to 5 stars. Good.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 15, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are terraforming material requirements public? Why do I get the feeling finishing terraforming giving you 4 and 5 star training is going to be the equivalent of being able to fight the normal boss after beating the extra boss in an RPG.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

zedprime posted:

Are terraforming material requirements public? Why do I get the feeling finishing terraforming giving you 4 and 5 star training is going to be the equivalent of being able to fight the normal boss after beating the extra boss in an RPG.

It absolutely is this yes. It is something for you to do when you've done everything else and need a huge huge huge resource sink.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Gearing up to produce a million microchips.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So I gave up on Rebirth after getting past the midway point of the campaign where you're meant to build a bunch of stations for the Terrans but the UI was such a chore to navigate through and it seemed like it was impossible to build any buildings because there was a single station in the entire galaxy that I had access to that made the one ware that you need for them and it'd take hours of waiting to get any. I think the game definitely had cooler capital ship combat, I loved watching those big ships duke it out and take out small ships very simple blasts of their lasers. It feels like cap ships in X4 can't do much at all but get blown up by I's.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Thom12255 posted:

It absolutely is this yes. It is something for you to do when you've done everything else and need a huge huge huge resource sink.

Oh. :mad:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

terrans tomorrow lads

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Could anyone suggest a pilot training mod that will work with 4.0?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i use this

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2050537227

works well but they level crazy fast

timn
Mar 16, 2010

queeb posted:

terrans tomorrow lads

Sincerely hoping for a plot mission that features a really awkward conversation between Boso Ta and the Terrans about the Player HQ. Been waiting almost 2.5 years for the payoff to that one throwaway line when you first discover it.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So how do the terran ships compair? In hearing that they're slower. What other info is there about them?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i feel like you just have to use the falcon as your primary ship in SW interworlds

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

queeb posted:

i feel like you just have to use the falcon as your primary ship in SW interworlds

Two questions about the Stat wars mod, besides obviously being star wars how does it change the gameplay like is it still an Empire builder? Second what are the good player ships besides the Falcon? Any Ls that don't feel like a chore to drive?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Sedisp posted:

Two questions about the Stat wars mod, besides obviously being star wars how does it change the gameplay like is it still an Empire builder? Second what are the good player ships besides the Falcon? Any Ls that don't feel like a chore to drive?

its the same game, just every ship and faction is changed out for star wars ones. aside from the xenon/k'haak. no superhighway, all the ships have "hyperdrives" that shoot you to like 5-8km/s after a few seconds.

ive only played around with M/S ships, havent saved up for any L's but there are a gently caress ton of really well done ships so i imagine some of them are good to fly around.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Man all I want to do is play this but waiting for the DLC is driving me mad. Another 11 hours or so isn't that long I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wasn't initially very interested in springing for it but I might have to see if I can budget for it, might be a good excuse to start a new game. Still curious as to what the actual game is gonna be about though, the split sectors were interesting and varied enough that it basically just adds a northern section to the playable area and it fits well with the sandbox, but the terrans are economically and geographically self contained as well as hostile to everyone else so I'm curious how they will work, feels like just adding a new xenon pocket, almost.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I have to know; in the Star Wars mod, are TIEs/Fighters visibly stored under Assault Gozantis? Also do default TIEs have hyperdrives or do they dutifully need to be carted everywhere?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I hope the Star Wars mod becomes a complete conversion in a few years, that'd be very cool. It feels like they've already done some of the hardest parts by making all the ships and interiors. Just got to do the stations and sectors.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Rhjamiz posted:

I have to know; in the Star Wars mod, are TIEs/Fighters visibly stored under Assault Gozantis? Also do default TIEs have hyperdrives or do they dutifully need to be carted everywhere?

and yeah they have hyperdrives, since its just a re-tooled travel mode.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I gather that they just reskinned the gates to be "jump points" too, so all ships will presumably be able to jump by flying through the gates same as usual.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

queeb posted:

and yeah they have hyperdrives, since its just a re-tooled travel mode.

Hell yes. I love the Gozanti for some reason. I wonder how much of the bridge is modeled.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

OwlFancier posted:

I gather that they just reskinned the gates to be "jump points" too, so all ships will presumably be able to jump by flying through the gates same as usual.

yeah pretty much. its really just base X4 with a ton of really well done star wars ships replacing all the normal stuff.

there are a ton of ships tho, and theyre all crazy quality.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Stream confirmed that Ventures will be back in beta in a few weeks and it will now be a team-based thing that you can join up to do with your friends and compete against other teams.

I sadly don't have any friends that play this lol.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 16, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just caught the bit about it being competitive, sounds... weird tbh.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I just caught the bit about it being competitive, sounds... weird tbh.

I am very confused but I like that they’re apparently willing to experiment with whatever they’re trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Started a game off with the default Argon start. You are -15 to Terrans so totally possible to rank up without too much trouble.