Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

If numbering your children is good enough for the romans then it's good enough for you. Primus, secundus, tertius, quartus, quintus, sextus, septimus, octavius... nonimus?? (loving stupid idiot gets called nonimus?) and decimus.

My name is biggest ten in the middle, and I shall have my vengeance.

Decimaximus? Is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

And George was not Latvian Orthodox; that was (almost) Kramer in the kevorka (sp?) episodes.

:thejoke: is George was converting to Latvian Orthodox in that same episode to stay with a woman.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Normalise naming girls just their dad's name but with an A at the end.

I mean my name would be Patricia which is a thing, so.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Mine would be Christophera.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lady Disdain posted:

Mine would be Christophera.

Martina is just boring.

Though I suppose if we make it middle names too I can be Martina Dominica and rock the faux-Latina thing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

fartknocker posted:

:thejoke: is George was converting to Latvian Orthodox in that same episode to stay with a woman.

I don't know if it's a joke, but thanks for the clarification.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

HopperUK posted:

A few years back I saw a woman named Joette on Wheel of Fortune. Somebody clearly wanted a son.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

DemonDarkhorse posted:

pearley
maxx
shelvy
noid
1. Please marry into the Gates family
2. Should only be a third name, after Thomas James or some such
3. Sibling of Casey
4. That family must have hated Domino's in the 80s

DemonDarkhorse posted:

last names:
dicko
phenis
I know a Phenis. Ohio?

Lady Disdain posted:

I've met at least three people over the years called Seven. I always assumed it might be a name from another culture, but I never bothered to check.
Someone beat me to the Roman child-numbering system. But I have to wonder how many of these real Sevens are named after the 1996 Seinfeld example (in context, it was in honor of Mickey Mantle, by the way), and how many are not. Maybe one will get together with an Eleven named after Stranger Things and open up a convenience store.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Hi, y'all, another installment of Real Names of Real People Who Got SSNs and Then Died. Today's theme: first names without A, E, I, O, or U. I mostly skipped Welsh and Polish names.

Brycc Vidales
Bryn Amyx
Bryntly Remling
Bygy Boggus
Byrd Bush
Byrd Vogel
Gylynn Honeycutt
Gypsy Outlaw
Kytzy Korn
Lyl Coxe
Lylyth Coogler
Lynyrd Shaffner
Phyllystyne Hill (eta: this is given as 'Phyllystyn' in the data, because the first name field was only 10 characters wide when the name was recorded)
Qwyn Hammack
Sky Blue
Sky Light
Try You
Vyvyn Fedderson
Xyz Crenshaw

BONUS - Maybe a joke but definitely in the death master file
Brr Grrr (death date, 2005-04-20)

BONUS - Typos I liked - The Death Master File has a lot of obvious typos, and they really stand out when you search for names with no vowels.
Frqnk Stramaglia
Frrtz Miller
Msthstry Hamilton (Margaret, if your left hand is resting on G instead of F)
Wwllssn Shattuck

Winter Stormer has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Mar 15, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Winter Stormer posted:

Hi, y'all, another installment of Real Names of Real People Who Got SSNs and Then Died. Today's theme: first names without A, E, I, O, or U. I mostly skipped Welsh and Polish names.

Brycc Vidales
Bryn Amyx
Bryntly Remling
Bygy Boggus
Byrd Bush
Byrd Vogel
Gylynn Honeycutt
Gypsy Outlaw
Kytzy Korn
Lyl Coxe
Lylyth Coogler
Lynyrd Shaffner
Phyllystyne Hill (eta: this is given as 'Phyllystyn' in the data, because the first name field was only 10 characters wide when the name was recorded)
Qwyn Hammack
Sky Blue
Sky Light
Try You
Vyvyn Fedderson
Xyz Crenshaw

BONUS - Maybe a joke but definitely in the death master file
Brr Grrr (death date, 2005-04-20)

BONUS - Typos I liked - The Death Master File has a lot of obvious typos, and they really stand out when you search for names with no vowels.
Frqnk Stramaglia
Frrtz Miller
Msthstry Hamilton (Margaret, if your left hand is resting on G instead of F)
Wwllssn Shattuck

I got Bird Bird.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Bygy Boggus is a minor character from Star Wars or Gundam.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

fartknocker posted:

Bygy Boggus is a minor character from Star Wars or Gundam.

I imagined a dapper little frog fellow

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

I imagined a dapper little frog fellow

Didn't imagine it, you just forgot to turn on your VDU.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Harvey TWH posted:

I know a Phenis. Ohio?

close, wisconsin.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

If numbering your children is good enough for the romans then it's good enough for you. Primus, secundus, tertius, quartus, quintus, sextus, septimus, octavius... nonimus?? (loving stupid idiot gets called nonimus?) and decimus.

My name is biggest ten in the middle, and I shall have my vengeance.

Most of those aren't names. Quintus, Sextus, and Septimus were praenomia. Ocavianus was a praenomen later, modeled after the nomen Octavius. They didn't refer to birth order, rather the month one was born in. Presumably one who could have been named the nonexistent Tertius was instead called Marcus. But this connection wasn't known by everybody in the Republican period--by then they had become just names, not necessarily named after month born any more. Apparently some women were named Prima, Secunda, etc, but I would guess these were less "names" and more an expansion of calling her Minor or Maior, with recordkeeping omitting a redundant-seeming first name ("everybody knows she'd be Julia, you don't need to write it down.")

Bonus: Postumus doesn't mean posthumous--but it usually indicates it, because it means "the final."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DemonDarkhorse posted:

shqiperije, which on further review is probably albanian, but its a unique collection of letters

So... How do you pronounce this? Shkee-per-yee?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Samovar posted:

So... How do you pronounce this? Shkee-per-yee?

Shqipëri is, according to wiktionary, the Albanian word for Albania. Shqipëria is just with an added feminine suffix. Shqiperije is perhaps just creative spelling.
I don't know how you fare with ipa, but /ʃcipəˈɾia/ is the pronunciation wiktionary gives, which is sort of shkip-uh-REE-a (where the K is sound that doesn't really exist in English, and the UH is a schwa like the A in "about").
So my guess would be that Shqiperije is either the same, or the same but with "yeh" as the final syllable.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Mar 16, 2021

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Lovely one I came across this morning (spoilered for slur)

Gypsy Hair

E: upon further review it seems this is an actual thing in addition to a poor lady's name?

Marcade has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Mar 16, 2021

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Another grabbag, same source as before.

Ima Ware
Ura Belcher
Plackard Adcock
Chad Bourgeois
Virgin Workman
Urine Adkins
Dewey Cheatham
Dewey Needham
Gatling King
Womble Stutes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Careful with that, you might accidentally start a Metal Gear Solid boss squad

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mescal posted:

Most of those aren't names. Quintus, Sextus, and Septimus were praenomia. Ocavianus was a praenomen later, modeled after the nomen Octavius. They didn't refer to birth order, rather the month one was born in. Presumably one who could have been named the nonexistent Tertius was instead called Marcus. But this connection wasn't known by everybody in the Republican period--by then they had become just names, not necessarily named after month born any more. Apparently some women were named Prima, Secunda, etc, but I would guess these were less "names" and more an expansion of calling her Minor or Maior, with recordkeeping omitting a redundant-seeming first name ("everybody knows she'd be Julia, you don't need to write it down.")

Bonus: Postumus doesn't mean posthumous--but it usually indicates it, because it means "the final."

They were both praenomina and ordinal numbers. Don't you think that someone named Quintus wouldn't pause to think that the expression for, say, "the fifth soldier" ("miles quintus") would sound an awful lot like his name? Or what do you think Latin used for ordinal numbers? Like Russians, Romans had three names (usually), so that's why their praenomina didn't matter all that much in the long run of things.

Postumus does mean "posthumous" by the way, it indicates the kid was born after his dad already died. So, yes, final, kinda, but not really.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Winter Stormer posted:

Another grabbag, same source as before.

Ima Ware

I wonder how many people ask where if she knows what her name sounds like?

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Winter Stormer posted:

Bygy Boggus
Byrd Vogel

Bygy Boggus seems almost in the same vein as Biggus Diccus, or perhaps where Biggus goes to relieve himself.

And I think a previous poster was referring to this, but to be super clear: Vogel is German for bird.

Winter Stormer posted:

Virgin Workman

But enough about young Ben Linus...

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HopperUK posted:

I know a family where the dad is Christopher, the son is Christopher and the daughter is Christina. It's a lot.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I guess I'd be a Josephine or Josephina, which is kind of old-fashioned but not too horrendous. I could go by Jo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Pope Hilarius II posted:

They were both praenomina and ordinal numbers. Don't you think that someone named Quintus wouldn't pause to think that the expression for, say, "the fifth soldier" ("miles quintus") would sound an awful lot like his name? Or what do you think Latin used for ordinal numbers? Like Russians, Romans had three names (usually), so that's why their praenomina didn't matter all that much in the long run of things.

Postumus does mean "posthumous" by the way, it indicates the kid was born after his dad already died. So, yes, final, kinda, but not really.

1. I fuckin know they're numbers dude
2 Nope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postumus_(praenomen)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I am working with a man with name Thanos.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Better be careful not to annoy him too much or he just might.. snap.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
my poor dad would've been Raymonda.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Your employer will definitely save on glove costs.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Samovar posted:

I am working with a man with name Thanos.

You're gonna lose half the department.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A facebook friend, every time this name pops up on my feed, it completely derails my brain for a few seconds.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'm assuming this is pronounced like a combination of the names Eliza and Beth, rather than like Elizabeth, and no one will convince me otherwise.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lady Disdain posted:

I'm assuming this is pronounced like a combination of the names Eliza and Beth, rather than like Elizabeth, and no one will convince me otherwise.

Alley-za-BUYth

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Two from work last night: Axzairea and Dajaniece.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
This is a sad one - a child with a terrible name was mauled to death by a dog. Her name was A'Myrical.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Paddy Pimblett

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
kanelodie
zshanique
indigo
geronimo
devinare
shararrius
tashucla
island pearl
kashawd
mcgwire
starsius
java
blanyx blanco
previnski
brackson
dephenia
dnae
lariseraylin
dhareal
distarcha
renoir
titan
aaliyahvanay
dasani
silver navada
elway
summyr
heavan
toney kermit
dionysus
kaizer
teuprengue
skiya
changlynn
noble
arsenia
purvis

last name: krapfl

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
I think the name of this thread should be changed to "PYF interesting or unusual names" instead of "terrible".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

My proctologist's nsme is Dr Ball. And I giggle every time I think of it.