Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This is the way.

It was great if you had streaming radio with enough of a gap between tracks, so you could record overnight and have a whole playlist the next day. I had 5 Minidiscs of, like, 4 hour stretches of dnbradio and Bassdrive

gently caress yeah that was my jam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

njsykora posted:

In the UK it was the dominant storage media for the microcomputers of the 80s since floppy disks were too expensive at manufacture
...then I got an 1541 anyway and suddenly was drowning in floppy disks for some reason. I can't even recall where I got all the games, because I could count all my computer friends on a hand of a guy that played once too much with fireworks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All the real hipsters were recording albums to Spectrum ROM cartridges anyway.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Hipsters are showing off their wealth and privilege with those ROM cartridges. Real users of the time suffered through data tapes because the price difference was significant.

Let me load this software. Oh there was a read error after 20 minutes? Let me rewind, eject, clean the heads with some special fluid and a cotton bud, wait for ithe alcohol to dry out, then retry.

Cassettes were the media format of the masses. Not the best format but you took what you could.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
PS Audio’s YouTube is the best

it’s like a slot machine where you never know if the advice is gonna be reasonable and science-based or stupid and nonsensical

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Alan_Shore posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize that your average audio cassette could store data! Please forgive me!

How many megabytes was a cassette?

Used to back up my presets from my Roland Juno 106 to tape (several tapes, just to be sure), probably bought tapes of different patches as well.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Ok Comboomer posted:

PS Audio’s YouTube is the best

it’s like a slot machine where you never know if the advice is gonna be reasonable and science-based or stupid and nonsensical
The first PS Audio video I watched was one about setting up subwoofers and he was claiming that you should attach your sub through its high level inputs to your amps to preserve the character of the amp for best results. So I do subscribe to PS Audio, but not so much for informational purposes but more entertainment.

The only audio youtube channel I watch for actual informational purposes is audioholics since they are huge subwoofer and room correction nerds.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 16, 2021

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ridicule Audiophiles - or discuss idiotic esoteric media storage and pine for the minidisc

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Ridicule Audiophiles - or discuss idiotic esoteric media storage and pine for the minidisc

I was absolutely not expecting the thread to pine for MiniDiscs but it warms the cockles of my heart.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this beauty in my picture. Practically the first MP3 player. 32Mb of storage. Absolutely blew everyone away when I brought it on a school trip. Impossible to use now without a serial port (or you buy a 32Mb CF card. I bought a 64Mb one to try my luck but NOPE)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Alan_Shore posted:

I was absolutely not expecting the thread to pine for MiniDiscs but it warms the cockles of my heart.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this beauty in my picture. Practically the first MP3 player. 32Mb of storage. Absolutely blew everyone away when I brought it on a school trip. Impossible to use now without a serial port (or you buy a 32Mb CF card. I bought a 64Mb one to try my luck but NOPE)

I think I still have that Sharp somewhere.

My first regular MP3 player was the Creative Zen Xtra, which was just a DAC bolted onto a 30gb 2.5” spinner drive. You could technically upgrade the drive, but it was designed to draw very little power, so you needed to make sure the new drive wasn’t too thirsty, or it would get weird read errors. I even painted the removable cover to match my car.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I had that Rio. It was a parallel port. :goonsay:

The pass through function of the cable so you could keep your printer attached never worked for me so I had to crawl around under my desk each time I wanted to swap.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bloody nightmare it was! Looks like it and USB both came out in 98. So close...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

TTerrible posted:

I had that Rio. It was a parallel port. :goonsay:

The pass through function of the cable so you could keep your printer attached never worked for me so I had to crawl around under my desk each time I wanted to swap.

Woof, how slow was that?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Alan_Shore posted:

Since I'm working from home and I like showing this off better than working, ridicule portablephiles!

High res: https://imgur.com/a/jaV9bkp

Also, the Sony XA3ES and JB920 are connected with optical, and the remote control has dedicated buttons that control both the CD and MD player at the same time to do perfect recordings. I also used to have a setup that would record SACDs to tape.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 17, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Woof, how slow was that?
It would take about 25 minutes to fill the internal 32MB. So if your files were 128kbps, you were only slightly better off than if you had had to real time record it. I think in the documentation they recommended to stick with 96kbps for quality or 64kbps to fit a whole album on there.

A serious downside to the Rio PMP300 was that it would eat batteries in standby at roughly the same speed as during playback.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 17, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Woof, how slow was that?

Dunno about that particular device, but parallel ports could be fairly fast (for the time). In excess of 2MB/sec using EPP or ECP mode. Way faster than a serial port, and also faster than USB 1.1.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

evobatman posted:

I also used to have a setup that would record SACDs to tape.

That is amazing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

evobatman posted:

Since I'm working from home and I like showing this off better than working, ridicule portablephiles!

Also, the Sony XA3ES and JB920 are connected with optical, and the remote control has dedicated buttons that control both the CD and MD player at the same time to do perfect recordings. I also used to have a setup that would record SACDs to tape.

That is absolutely beautiful! I have so many tapes from Bandcamp but can't afford to buy a decent walkman. The prices are mad. And what a lovely Sony tower! I have a Yamaha tape deck (K220 that records onto metal) and will try to get the rest of it one day (they have a MD deck).

I recently rebought the CD/MD hifi from my youth, the superb Sony DHC-MDX10 with its GROOVE bass, but the cassette deck and CD drive got knackered in transit. MD and optical in work perfectly though. Super nostalgic to input track names by dialling that wheel around...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Alan_Shore posted:

That is absolutely beautiful! I have so many tapes from Bandcamp but can't afford to buy a decent walkman. The prices are mad. And what a lovely Sony tower! I have a Yamaha tape deck (K220 that records onto metal) and will try to get the rest of it one day (they have a MD deck).

I recently rebought the CD/MD hifi from my youth, the superb Sony DHC-MDX10 with its GROOVE bass, but the cassette deck and CD drive got knackered in transit. MD and optical in work perfectly though. Super nostalgic to input track names by dialling that wheel around...

Thanks! The Sony tower is just a semi, you should see it fully erect!

Hope you manage to repair your MDX10, 14 year old me would have absolutely loved to have that!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evobatman posted:

What's that tape walkman on the far-right, middle row? My dad had (Maybe still has) one of those. Cool as heck.

I don't own any Sony portable or hi-fi gear but I do own one of their classic radios which still works and I use on the reg:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Pile Of Garbage posted:

What's that tape walkman on the far-right, middle row? My dad had (Maybe still has) one of those. Cool as heck.

I don't own any Sony portable or hi-fi gear but I do own one of their classic radios which still works and I use on the reg:

It's a WM-D6C, a very high quality professional walkman used by reporters and journalists to do recordings. The side effect of all the build quality is that it's great for music too!

There's lots to google about it, and you should definitively check if your dad still has his. Belts and rubber parts for the disk drive mechanism are still easily available, and replacing them isn't very hard.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evobatman posted:

It's a WM-D6C, a very high quality professional walkman used by reporters and journalists to do recordings. The side effect of all the build quality is that it's great for music too!

There's lots to google about it, and you should definitively check if your dad still has his. Belts and rubber parts for the disk drive mechanism are still easily available, and replacing them isn't very hard.

I'm not certain why my dad had one but given that it was released in 1984 I suspect he had it for recording interviews. He's an editor by trade and in the 80s/90s he was working at a publishing house where along with editing books he also wrote a few about local history. However he has also been a radio DJ doing a weekly show for a local station since the 80s so he might have gotten it from there.

Just had a peek at eBay and holy poo poo there's listings of them for over $2k AUD!!!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat it. If this wasn't stupid money I'd have bought it already because I'm a fashion victim.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...fi-music-player

EDIT: now I'm searching ebay for broken Sony WM-1 and a cheap DAP to kludge together my own version.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 19, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

Price: $2,199.00

EXCUSE ME?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Yuns posted:

drat it. If this wasn't stupid money I'd have bought it already because I'm a fashion victim.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...fi-music-player

EDIT: now I'm searching ebay for broken Sony WM-1 and a cheap DAP to kludge together my own version.

That is insanely better than Sony's sad attempt at the same theme. Shame it's two grand

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
just make a decent cassette player you fucks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

When the KEF KC62 came out I commented "they should make one with dual 8s," and they haven't but SVS did which means it costs half as much and doesn't look as nice. It does claim -3dB at 23hz which is respectable.
That is awesomely terrible.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ok Comboomer posted:

just make a decent cassette player you fucks

You're going to have to build a factory first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You're going to have to build a factory first.

Panasonic spun up a few new manufacturing lines for all the new 1200/1500C variants

It ~could~ be done, not saying it’s sensible

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Techmoan's done enough videos on modern cassette players to explain why no-one's going to bother with that. At least old Walkmans seem fairly simple to repair for the most part.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did anyone ever use DAT tapes outside of live concert recordings? Back in the 90s saying something came from a DAT master meant it was probably very high quality

Of course now I wonder whether the DAT had much to do with it other than tape-flipping issues, perhaps people that could afford to use DAT could also afford better microphones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DAT was used professionally in studios a lot before hard drives were big enough, it could do lossless dubbing which was a big improvement over 1/4”.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Darko turned comments on his channel back on

wonder if somebody told him that keeping them off hurt his engagement metrics

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

qirex posted:

DAT was used professionally in studios a lot before hard drives were big enough, it could do lossless dubbing which was a big improvement over 1/4”.

This.

I still have some DATs from before the studio I worked for briefly went all digital. I don't have a machine that can read them, but I've been told they're archival quality (someone in this thread will likely let me know if I'm wrong).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mean DAT are still digital. Hard drives have the same operating principles.*

*I have no idea how DAT encodes things, but like, magnets and data.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 20, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I mean DAT are still digital. Hard drives have the same operating principles.*

*I have no idea how DAT encodes things, but like, magnets and data.

MP3s are digital too but not lossless.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

MP3s are digital too but not lossless.

DAT is a digital storage medium, which better be loving lossless or it's useless, not a codec.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There's a new king of DAC SINAD now. WolfX-700, a Chinese audio reviewer, just tested a DAC at 125 dB SINAD at his blog on L7AudioLab. He's under an NDA as far as manufacturer name and model go but expect to see ASR posters dumping their Topping D90 and SMSL S400 and Gustard X16/A18 soon for the new measurement king notwithstanding the fact that there is no audible difference and that even if there were an audible difference it would be gone once pushed through any amp.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-new-king.21444/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Good enough for human ears happens a lot earlier than audiophiles would care to recognize. But when you’re convinced that the orientation of your ground cable is audible, you’ve already completely lost perspective.

As for DAT vs Minidisc vs CD, there was a lot of arguments back in the 90s about DAT vs Minidisc as a replacement for cassette tapes and their relative strengths and weaknesses.

I do still wish minidisc had seen wider adoption, and fully understand why it didn’t. And it really didn’t stand a chance against MP3 players. But I loved their size, and while their strongest functionality is fully replaced by playlists, I do miss physical mix media sometimes.

Not enough to deal with it, but I do miss it.